Join A 2016 Whole9 Challenge!

LucieB

• Replies 580
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi all 

Feb 01 can you believe it 

I am thinking of this month as a whole new W30

Re-introductions - the scales - once a week - was on this morning and yes still some way to go - reintroducing as I know I focus better when measuring something - but don't want to overkill

W30 tweaks - no fruit - will see how I get on

In general though energy OK and sleep improving

Hey all!

I still have 2 days to go on my Whole30. I'm skipping reintroductions this time around because I never added anything back into my daily repertoire so, therefore, the only thing I removed this time around was any added sugar and I stuck to Whole30 while eating out, which I had loosened the reins on between my first round and this round. 

February is here and personal growth is calling our names!

I saw this article on the Whole9 site and found it to be a good place for me start and think about what my intentions are this month:

http://whole9life.com/2015/07/personal-growth-habits/

"When was the last time you took stock of your beliefs, and compared them to what you actually know to be true? Not just a passing glance either, but a full-frontal look at exactly what you believe to be true, and comparing it to what you’re actually experiencing. If the two don’t match up, you’ve got work to do. This is where personal growth work comes in."

"It was with my own personal growth work that I realized this: I do not have to hold on to beliefs that I’ve proven to be false."

​I'm going to spend the next couple of days thinking about these things. I can really relate to what she says about the false belief that if I skip a workout or eat a less healthy food, I am going to be thrown completely off track and will loose all of the strength I have worked to get, and my genetics will kick in and all the health issues that run in my family will start manifesting themselves. I have proven this to be false so now I am working on connecting the brain to the heart so I can begin really living this and believing it. 

I'm sure I will have more realizations but this is one thing I really want to work on - giving myself a break if I feel like it would be best to sleep in over getting up at the crack of dawn to work out before heading to work.  Or not setting my alarm to go to the gym on the weekend and enjoying waking up naturally. Also, I will not die if I eat something less healthy. If I make a conscious, thought out decision to eat it, it's ok and I will enjoy it and then go back to my regularly scheduled eating routine without any feeling of shame or guilt. Goals!

How's everyone else doing? What are your goals for this month?

For everyone who took on the Whole30 and even for those of us who were just making better eating choices, WOO HOO and you should all be really proud of yourselves! The second one was a lot less exciting but I'm proud of myself for sticking to it and I realized how big of an impact my first round made on my life and the way I eat. Also, I was in a better mood for the most part and had lots and lots of energy!!

xoxo

init2winit - I really liked your post and the article from Whole9.  I tend to "fear" the missed workout, etc and really want to work on more balance this year. 

I had a less than stellar weekend.  Kind of the perfect storm of blah (on-call for work, time of month and a cold) all came together at once.  I just didn't feel like eating my usual foods.  Had pizza and sandwiches and cheese ... etc.  Not so much overeating, but eating poor choices.  I feel it today (no surprise).

Have to force myself back to regular behavior this morning.  Reading init2winit post was a good start!!  Thanks for sharing  :)

I let one little thing "allow" me to throw out all of the whole30 rules for the entirety of yesterday.  Definitely the type of balance I need to work on.  I am going to focus this month on balance, not eating until my servings are gone (just until I am satisfied), and making exercise a routine.  

Thank you everyone for your support last month.  I don't post very much, but I read and am inspired by every post!

init2winit, Thanks! Have been reading that article too. Along with some I had downloaded on to my kindle.

Am continuing on with another 30. The first has helped immensely! Did not realize just how much having surgery in OCT wrecked me. I have to nix fruit completely right now. Found my self indulging too much on oranges and grapefruits this last week and it flares up the rash on my face. It was 99% gone and am back to about 90% gone just from eating the extra citrus fruit. Some non-scale victories, my sleep is improving, I am more aware of the sugar dragon's siren call, Apparently the surgery/antibiotic stress to my body affected my hormones. Surgery in OCT, Nov, 2 short light periods about a week apart.Dec, none. Jan looked like it was going to be none, then Saturday the 30th it began and appears to be normal, not light. Normally, I am as regular as clock work every 28 days. Initially thought and hoped it was menopause setting in.. Still could be... More energy, just feel so much better, Haven't hit full tiger blood yet, but have had a couple of tiger blood days. just haven't reached consistent as in the past. Clothes fitting better, did do a weigh and measure this am. Down 9 lbs, lost from 3/4 inch up to 2 inch over all.

Personal growth goals for this month, examine my beliefs and my heart, feelings etc. focusing on meditation and prayer. I have a great tendency to bury my feelings and wear a mask, keeping my heart protected behind the mask of indifference. I struggle with setting goals. Why am I afraid? Stuck in this rut and need to get out of it...

So, 2nd February and I think I grew a little yesterday - I mean I tried Kombucha for the first time ever - and I didn't die!

I'm looking to approach February & Personal Growth from a few different angles but with the focus primarily on Study, Mental Health & Gut Health.

Education will be key for me this month as I start getting into 'proper' study. I've accepted that this will be an added stressor in my life, and will be looking at ways of reducing my stress/workload elsewhere so that I can continue to enjoy the process & not feel overwhelmed by the whole thing - this is an area I've been working on a lot over the past year, and having seen improvements in the overall quality of my life I will continue to assess & tweak as I go.

Food-wise I've talked at length with my tutor about my FODMAP issues (trials will continue throughout February & no doubt beyond) & gut health, and having been of the opinion for many years that FOOD is our medicine I am going to start putting my money where my mouth is, adopting this in a more literal manner, and start making my own fermented foods. My tutor has offered to email me a few tried & tested recipes, but the Kombucha today was to give my gut a little kick-start while I buy supplies & get things going.

"When was the last time you took stock of your beliefs, and compared them to what you actually know to be true? Not just a passing glance either, but a full-frontal look at exactly what you believe to be true, and comparing it to what you’re actually experiencing. If the two don’t match up, you’ve got work to do. This is where personal growth work comes in."

"It was with my own personal growth work that I realized this: I do not have to hold on to beliefs that I’ve proven to be false."

OK - just going to be totally open and honest - don't need to post this BUT it may be good from an accountability point of view and it just might be what some others are thinking too...

I do not have to hold on to beliefs that I’ve proven to be false

Actually I am not a BAD person - I think I have thought that because that is the way I have been treated by others throughout my life - parents / sibling / spouse / family / colleagues / friends - I have probably allowed those thoughts because I am actually a NICE person / willing to take blame / willing to put the effort in / willing to put others 1st / willing to do the hard work when others are not / willing to have a conscience - some people take advantage and the more you give the more is expected of you - when you fail these people (in their eyes) it is not because you are a bad person (even though they may make you feel like you are) it's just because there simply wasn't enough of you to go round 

Z

@Zoe, just reading your post gave me a heart surge. I have worked long an hard to deal with similar feelings and mive toward self love. The Whole 9 is my attempt to go from sporadic to consistent in that department. You are not alone! People will respond to healthy boundary setting, self affirmation, and positivity. Theose eho are positive or want to learn from you will come closer, and those who are in a different place will fork away from your path. Sometimes that can be paunful....sorry if tmi. Sharing my own experience, no intention to ulluminate yours. ☺️

On another note, I found a geat app to organize goals and activitiesduring the Whole 9! It goes great with the desktop bacground screen. It is a free app called Trelo for iPad and other devices. Check it out! Organization and doing what I plan to do are tops on my self improvement list. Already tv watching is getting left in da dust!

My growth goals for February: being fully present and being, as my yoga teacher last week said, "ruthlessly compassionate to [my]self." Anxiety is something I have a hard time with - not the debilitating panic-attack sort, but constantly wondering what needs to happen and what might happen and what I need to improve and how I can be prepared for anything that might come next. It keeps me from fully being present and experiencing life. So, that's going to be a focus for me this month.

Also I'm continuing to work on how I handle technology - I strung together a good week or so of turning off the phone by 8pm and that kind of thing, then a crazy work week, travel and Life conspired and I haven't done as well the last few weeks. Time to refocus on that - I'm so much healthier when I do! Already limiting Facebook has been helpful. It's facilitated some good connections in my life, so I don't think it's inherently evil, but too often for me it's used as a distraction and/or leads to discontent.

That's great!  I've tried meditation a few times (not with great success).  I did enjoy a guided group meditation (but moved out of the area after going just a few times).  One of the take-aways from that group was there is more than one way to meditate.  Her thought was getting lost in a song is a form of mediation, getting zoned out during a workout is a form of meditation.  She taught start with what feels most natural and build on that.

I'm curious what you will learn.  Let us know how it goes ... fluffy and all  ;)

I tried the guided meditation CD's by Jon Kabat-Zin. Have to get back to it. Who'd though I'd do 45 mn/day for a month! He has great YouTube videos as well.

What I like about him is that he invented mindfulness before it got trendy, through Mindfulness Stress Reduction Clinics...

Good morning Whole9 crew and Happy Wednesday!

I came across this article in another thread and it totally hit on why I need to really be thinking about whether all of the high intensity workouts are what is good for me at this time. I could relate to a lot of the signs of overtraining. I think, for me, (even after reading something like this with scientific evidence to back it up) I still have a hard time getting past the mental block of feeling like I need to train how I do. Time for me to do a lot of soul searching! I want to keep this body as healthy as possible and the thought that I might actually be doing it more harm than good is disturbing to say the least. It makes me super grateful for this month of personal growth which is making me consider things that I probably would not have even paid attention to otherwise. 

http://whole9life.com/2012/05/rest-vs-recovery/

Now to find that "sweet spot"!

SPEAKING OF STRESS

I am super hacked off and ready for a rant 

Have been diligently hydrating 

I have now developed a problem with a herbal tea

Has aniseed / fennel seed / cardamon / licorice root / coriander seed / celery seed in it 

To my knowledge none of these things affect me when I eat them 

BUT I nearly collapsed after having it today - pounding in my ears / dizziness

SO FRUSTRATING WHEN MORE AND MORE THINGS GO OUT & THERE ARE MORE AND MORE RESTRICTIONS

HUFF & PUFF

RANT OVER 

THANKS ALL 

SPEAKING OF STRESS

I am super hacked off and ready for a rant 

Have been diligently hydrating 

I have now developed a problem with a herbal tea

Has aniseed / fennel seed / cardamon / licorice root / coriander seed / celery seed in it 

To my knowledge none of these things affect me when I eat them 

BUT I nearly collapsed after having it today - pounding in my ears / dizziness

SO FRUSTRATING WHEN MORE AND MORE THINGS GO OUT & THERE ARE MORE AND MORE RESTRICTIONS

HUFF & PUFF

RANT OVER 

THANKS ALL 

Don't know what your health history is, but here is some info concerning licorice root

cottagequee

thanks for this - there are times you think you are just loosing your mind !!!

licorice root is the only thing I would have in tea

i would never have thought of it affecting me  

all other other seeds / ingredients i have in curries etc so it makes a lot of sense that it might be a problem

OK - bye bye to licorice

OK - cant do gluten / dairy / sugar / most nightshades (seeds in very small amounts) / avocado / coconut / licorice...,..

SIGH

Just found this ...

• Licorice can cause the body to store water, and this can make congestive heart failure worse. Licorice can also increase the risk of irregular heartbeat. Don't consume licorice if you have heart disease.

Not bothered about the heart thing but would explain why all of my good intentions re hydration keep making me puff up

Have looked at my teas - half of them have licorice root in them 

Every time I have done a W30 I increase herbal tea intake and puff up - this is maybe why my W30's have seemed to make life worse 

Cottagequeen - good spot - thanks

Well, that took a while, but I finally caught up on the entire thread. I am very impressed with the thoughtfulness and introspection that everyone has shared thus far!

A little bit about me:

I'm 33, I live with my partner of eight years and his two teenage children plus our miniature dachshund Frank. I am a critical care nurse, currently working in CVICU, and I am passionate about my career.

I am a competitive runner and a member of a local racing team. I also cycle, swim, and strength train - but running is my true love. I am currently rebuilding my base after being out for six weeks with a tibial stress fracture.

I have a long history of eating disorders - anorexia and bulimia - dating back to my teenage years. Until my mid-twenties, I was pretty much constantly extremely ill, emaciated, malnourished, anemic, and spent many months of every year in hospitals and treatment centers. Since then I have been much healthier and able to live a normal and fulfilling life, but I have continued to struggle with restricting, binging, and purging (although to a much lesser degree than when I was younger). However I am thrilled to say that I have been "clean" since January 1, 2016, and that I recently completed my second Whole30 with really satisfying results.

My personal growth goals for February will center around letting go of maladaptive thought patterns: I tend towards black and white thinking and catastrophizing. As far as reintroductions go, I am not doing them formally this time since I gained all the necessary information regarding my personal food tolerances after my first 30 (I basically tolerate everything except high lactose dairy and high fructose fruits). But I am also not in a big rush to add things back in (other than cream in my coffee and red wine - those were back on day 31!). I'm just going to take things as they come.

Very happy to be here!

Archived