Join A 2016 Whole9 Challenge!

LucieB

I have enjoyed, as always, reading ya'lls posts! I am quoting myself here because I had to go back and look at my intentions for this month. Time to really put my money where my mouth is. I went to the endocinologist yesterday because I have been dealing with a 3 year hiatus of my monthly cycle and my obgyn could not figure it out. It seems to be hypothalamic amenorrhea. She also told me I would need to stop doing my HIIT to get it back, which is what I kind of feared based on what I had read. So, starting next week, my workout regimen will be weights and walking because if my health is what's important to me I know I need to get back on track with my period. Will also work in some pilates or body flow. I will miss that adrenaline rush but I'm only 31 and I want to be able to have kids if I want to. This is more important to me than the fear of gaining body fat, which I know if I keep eating how I have, will not happen. I have proven it to be false. Also, my body will be under less stress which I AM looking forward to. Also, I saw my weight for the first time in a year and it was up 10 lbs. I had a mini freak out for a second and then thought about what I knew to be true: My weight can fluctuate throughout the day, I just ate lunch and had a cup of coffee and about 32 oz of water an hour before I was weighed, I have gone up a pant size but I believe this is from muscle gain, I feel amazing. My weight does not define me as a person and I don't plan on weighing myself again anytime soon. 

Personal growth, what what?!!! LOL xo

init2winit

eat the food don't freak out

have the babies

love the babies

actually being 14 lbs over what you THINK you should be is OK - it will protect your bones later in life 

tone up when the babies NEED you to be fit and a SUPER mom

lol 

z

• Replies 580
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've been working my way through reintroduction and am so happy to find how well I do without training wheels! It's empowering to realize I call the shots on what I will "allow" food to do to me. We had an anniversary weekend away and I was able to make so many good choices. Like @Saree_Maree said about not feeling it has to be all or nothing... I had a lovely orange creme martini and it was significant, delicious and worth it! It's so easy to go back on track when you know how good you feel, but going off road is also part of the journey! Learning how to drive the bike off road and get back on the path...is a true skill. I'm excited to work on some "personal growth" areas. More focus now on yoga and mindfulness. I'm also brushing up on my foreign language skills, which I've let wane, for lack of use. This Whole9 challenge is a perfect segue from my Whole 30 completion and reintroductions. I'm going to take some of the suggestions for chamomile tea and make it a requirement. A cup of tea is one of my mindfulness practices, that I have been working on. Too often I barely unplug before heading off to bed. Good reminders and I sure appreciate all of you! 

Hugs to you Foodie, so sorry to hear about your father. 

I'm a bit behind in reading posts, a side effect of my 'less screen time' goal. I'd rather take time to read each post rather than skim through them so I fall behind.

I love hearing little tidbits of everyone's weeks. The chamomile tea, the similar struggles, the Valentine's Day plans. It's like being able to share a little bit of your day with you, across the keyboards. 

After re-evaluating some of my personal goals I've been able to make progress. More forgiving of myself and less 'all or nothing'. Maybe too much willpower being depleted in trying to juggle all the balls at once? So I took a step back to win steps forward! So this last week of February will focus on just nailing down a few of the habits, and not all of my goal habits at once.

March is Sleep Focus month! We've already got some discussion on this going :) And I'm already thinking about what my goals will be. I've picked up a terrible habit of phone surfing right before I go to bed, starting there!

Lucie

I'm flying home today after a visit to care for a friend and say goodbye.  It was a difficult trip that I'm grateful for but ready to be home.  

I woke up with a cold (not surprised) ... travel and stress did a number on my system.

Next week I'll be focusing on returning ME to feeling my old self again.  I have my second yoga instruction and really excited to get moving on that goal.  I have some interesting books to read on life changes too.

I need to look toward March's goals too (I have to go back and look what's next).  Can't believe February is almost over ... zipped by ...

Wow, February is almost over...my personal development goals are not quite habits yet, so will be works in progress, as we March into March. Fortunately they do intertwine well. Sorry you had a sad goodbye visit @whole Christina and a cold :( I had a cold also this week, and how quickly I wanted old favorite comfort foods. Fortunately I was able to stay on path, and it was so rewarding to see my immune system take charge and make short work of this cold. Hope everyone is doing well!

February has kept me busy with study, food trials & a number of social events - all closely linked to my personal growth goals. On Friday I went to an event that I'd normally have opted out of and spoke extensively with four people I'd never met before - and enjoyed it too!! This is HUGE progress for me given that I'm not comfortable around new people, and something I'll continue to work on moving forward.

The FODMAP trials continue to go well - this week it's garlic which will wrap up the fructans and then we'll start in to the polyols throughout March which I suspect might not be quite as successful.

In other areas of growth my first batch of Kombucha is brewing away nicely (I'll have my first taste in a day or two) and I have grown my first ever baby SCOBYs - exciting stuff!!

Happy Leap Day  ;) 

I decided to celebrate the week with a no-negative thought week.  If a negative thought pops up, I will dismiss it or change it into a positive thought.  I heard about this idea and it sure is easy enough to try.  Started yesterday ... and surprised how often I had to intervene.  "Little" annoying thoughts pop up more than I realize.

Also, planning to add incantations to my runs for the month of March.  I've done this a number of times in the past.  Never quite understand why I stop since they make a big difference in my day.  Now that the weather is warmer and I'm back to running outside, it's a good time to bring them back.  I don't run with music (except on the treadmill) so my mind is free to incant away  :P

On the yoga front ... my lesson is later this week.  I've been practicing some mindful breathing too.  It's funny how that seems unnatural to me but I'm giving it a go.  A set in am and a set in pm before bed.  

My fellow Whole 9ers, looking for suggestions if you've ever run into this predicament before...

I have been making delicious mayo since last May. I finally got a stick blender a couple of weeks ago and I don't know how I have been living without one!   :P

While making a batch the other night, I had my egg in my container and started pouring the oil. It looked funny so I shot up and realized I grabbed my EVOO instead of my light olive oil. Since the egg was already in there, I couldn't just pour the oil back in so I proceeded to make the mayo. Welp, just like everyone says, it tasted like thick olive oil. lol

I hate to throw stuff away so I was wondering if there is anything I can use the olive oil mayo for? Like a dressing or sauce? 

If not, I'll just begrudgingly throw it in the garbage disposal.   ;)

I posted this in another forum but haven't heard anything back. 

Thanks!!

WholeChristina -- can you share more on the incantations when you run? 

February summary for me: 

1. FODMAPS: Cabbage is a no-go, small amounts of baking chocolate OK, small serve of red lentils OK but not full serving, more than 1 cup butternut not OK. 

2. Personal habits: scaled back to focus on 3 habits at a time, not 10. Became more forgiving of myself and made progress that way.

3. Sit to eat and stop when full goals: HUGE help here, less tummy upset. Still struggling to eat meals alone, but working on it. Found it correlates with stress!

March goals!! SLEEPY TIME! Here's the Whole9 Sleep link. 

I bought a new black-out curtain, it's more of a brown-out but it helps. Also downloaded a sleep analysis app, it's still 'calibrating' but I have a baseline to work with. I'm surprised at how often I wake up to pee: 11pm, 1-2am, again 4am. I sleep good otherwise, feel rested and fall asleep quickly. But this waking up 2-3 times a night can't be good!

Here are my goals for the first week of March:

1. No screens after 9am, and not again until 6am (that 4am pee-break sometimes turns into email check)

2. No caffeine after noon. I've been sipping green tea all afternoon lately.

3. Stop drinking water after 630pm, see how that changes my wake-ups. 

A few months ago I discovered listening to podcasts to fall asleep, it keeps my mind from tumbling around over to-do's and problems. To my surprise, I fall asleep in minutes with this. Just gotta be a boring podcast  ;)

Share your February updates and March goals! What changes have you found to help with sleep?

A podcast I listened to last week (I think it was Abel James Fat Burning Man?) had a guy who said he wakes up and "shakes it out", like a dog shakes? to wake himself up and get moving.  :lol:  Maybe the 2nd week of March...

hi all

talking of incantations & stuff

i never really got back to everybody on my meditation workshop

i had a lovely afternoon 

the 1st meditation was good peaceful etc

BUT...

During the 2nd meditation when i was supposed to be under the sea (considering it to be my mind) and considering the enormity of my thoughts !...

I DIGRESSED 

All I could think of ... was .... there are 40 people in this room @ £ 15 a head = £ 600 - the Buddhist nun does this every week and does 5 meditations each week for 30 mins at £ 6 a pop + she does other workshops !!!!!

She is a Buddhist nun and earns more than me !!!

BUT having said that the peacefulness was nice

The time in my head was nice

The use of meaningful incantations was nice - see there was a link !!!

I was so mindful of my awful thinking during the meditations i hadn't posted 

But glad i have now

Maybe I should become a Buddhist nun - just not sure the fashion works for me 

March and sleep - I think my sleep is best when i haven't eaten for hours before i go to sleep - this is a bit depressing - no late night munchies - but sleep is important to me and i will try to keep a clear tummy by bedtime

LOL

hi all

talking of incantations & stuff

i never really got back to everybody on my meditation workshop

i had a lovely afternoon 

the 1st meditation was good peaceful etc

BUT...

During the 2nd meditation when i was supposed to be under the sea (considering it to be my mind) and considering the enormity of my thoughts !...

I DIGRESSED 

All I could think of ... was .... there are 40 people in this room @ £ 15 a head = £ 600 - the Buddhist nun does this every week and does 5 meditations each week for 30 mins at £ 6 a pop + she does other workshops !!!!!

She is a Buddhist nun and earns more than me !!!

BUT having said that the peacefulness was nice

The time in my head was nice

The use of meaningful incantations was nice - see there was a link !!!

I was so mindful of my awful thinking during the meditations i hadn't posted 

But glad i have now

Maybe I should become a Buddhist nun - just not sure the fashion works for me 

March and sleep - I think my sleep is best when i haven't eaten for hours before i go to sleep - this is a bit depressing - no late night munchies - but sleep is important to me and i will try to keep a clear tummy by bedtime

LOL

:D I think I would have been right there with you....!!  :lol: 

Glad you got something out of the day though....

Talking of sleep - I'm off to get some  -_-

the month of March is going to be interesting. My computer is trash. It froze up on me yesterday. I powered it off and restarted it and it said it could not reboot. This is the second Dell laptop I have purchased in about a 3 yr period. the first one I had for a little over a year and the harddrive died. Had it's hard drive replaced, but decided to get a new computer and gave the old one to my mom. She had it for a few months and the new hard drive crashed on it. So, needless to say, when this one crashed, it was the last straw. I used it for a punching bag, and threw it in the trash. I felt so much better!  So, with no computer(using work one for this) my routine at home will be significantly different. This month, not only will I be working on sleep improvement, but I am reassessing my tech needs. Actually considering going old school... I do have an old Kindle Fire of my mom's that I was trying out to see if I wanted to buy it from her, so will check in now and then.

Happy Sleeping!

Lucie B ... here's some info on the incantations I do.

I have listened to Anthony Robbins for many, many years.  I particularly connect with his more vintage stuff (he does a lot of financial focus in his newer material).  Anyway ... that's where I first heard and used incantations.

It's basically an empowering statement repeated with ENERGY and MOTION.  I have used it lots of times in my life to help with challenging goals or change a negative mindset.  It's unbelievable how repeating something while in motion sticks with you.  I like something easy and rhythmic while I run.  Whatever feels empowering for me.  Sometimes I do just one incantation, sometime several.

One of his examples (and a good start):

"Everyday in every way (fill in the blank) ... I am strong"

"Everyday in every way ... I am grateful"

"Everyday in every way ... I am blessed"

"Everyday in every way ... I am confident" etc

That's a general example, but it starts the day in a powerful way and is easy to say.  I use specific incantations too.  Key is said with energy and while in motion (walking works fine too).

Yesterday was a crazy way in all kinds of ways, and I completely forgot about sleep month starting! But this is one I need badly. Thankfully, there are 31 days in March, so hoping to still do some kind of Sleep30. :) I have great intentions about limiting screen time and getting 8 hours of sleep, but I too often settle for 7 hours and get distracted by things like Twitter and news on Super Tuesday that keep my screens going. So this will be a big focus for me. I did start taking a magnesium supplement (one that Tom had recommended on another thread) - I'll be interested to see how/if that helps. Good luck to us all!

"Lack of sleep alters brain chemicals to bring on cannabis-style 'munchies'"

https://www.theguardian.com/science/2016/feb/29/lack-of-sleep-alters-brain-chemicals-to-bring-on-cannabis-style-munchies

To delve into why sleep loss might trigger poor eating habits, the scientists looked at various substances in the volunteers’ blood, including ghrelin, which boosts appetite, and leptin, which tells the brain when the stomach is full. Previous studies have shown that sleep loss goes hand-in-hand with high ghrelin and low leptin levels.

But Hanlon looked also at levels of chemicals called endocannabinoids. She found that when sleep-deprived, volunteers had higher and more persistent levels of endocannabinoid 2-AG, a chemical that ramps up the pleasure felt when eating, especially sweet or salty high-fat foods.

As I thought, killing the computer has been a good thing! I've been getting a good night's sleep ever since! Getting to bed at a decent hour and sleeping through the night.

On another note, had the best fried chicken and Asian chicken Thursday supper and Friday lunch. I'd picked up some boneless skinless chicken thighs and had some prosciutto, so, I pulled out my trusty stainless steel pan, scooped out a spoonful of coconut oil and put in it. Next, I peeled off two slices of prosciutto and started them frying in the oil. I laid out the chicken pieces on top the prosciutto to fry. Splashed on some coconut anminos, pepper and a little salt, turning them a couple times til done. Had a sweet tater baking all the while. OH WOW! Amazing! Later, I cut up the leftover chicken and sat it aside. I have this box of Numi Savory Tea, Garden Sampler. One is spinach chive. Brewed that and poured in the skillet with all the drippings. Tossed in some garlic, ginger, turmeric powder, corriander, basil, arrowroot, cayenne, maybe some other stuff. Added a bag of Asian veggies and cooked til thickened. Mix in the chunked up chicken. Voila! Lunch Friday...

Ok I came across this info in February but I held it 'til now for our focus on sleep:

http://www.healthylifetricks.com/this-is-why-you-should-be-sleeping-on-your-left-side/

Sleeping on the left side is believed to greatly improve the health and even save lives. In holistic medicine, the left side of the body is the dominant lymphatic side, and while you’re sleeping on this side, your body will have more time to filter toxins, lymph fluid, and waste through the thoracic duct and the lymph nodes.

sleeping-on-the-left-side.jpg

Anyone else heard of this? Most sites that repost it are kind of hippy-dippy (e.g. http://www.warriorzen.com/if-you-sleep-on-the-right-side.html)

Looks like the source video?

http://lifespa.com/amazing-benefits-of-sleeping-on-your-left-side/

Here it looks like right-side sleeping aggravated heartburn: http://www.nytimes.com/2010/10/26/health/26really.html?_r=0

It has been since February 13 since I posted, which is in and of itself an important point for me, since that's the day I went to dinner and had my first non-compliant meal since I started the Whole 30.  Since then (first the bad stuff) I did not do a great job of reintroduction (it kind of blows it if you eat out and introduce several non-compliant items at once), got very stressed at work and had a couple of panic attacks, got down, and succumbed to the lure of foods I know aren't good for me, primarily gluten free grains and a little bit of nut butter and a little bit more red wine than I had planned on [judging by the fact that I think the sugar involved drives some of the grains cravings].  Over the past 3 weeks I have had vertigo, so badly that for most of this time I haven't done anything other than work at my home desk, make a little food, spend time with family and SLEEP!  That's a good segue to the "good" part of the last 3 weeks.  I have been sleeping like it's my job.  8-11 hours per night.  Also, I have been making great progress with my arthritis, working with a massage therapist who works into deep tissue with techniques like fascia stretching.  As such, I'm in less pain and can ....drumrolll.....sleep without waking because of pain, in any position that I choose!  (Happy dance)!  Other good things are that I did not give up on staying with the program entirely because here I am getting back to it.

Troubleshooting:  I should have sweetly declined my BF's invitation to dine out on February 13 as a reward for getting through my Whole 45 ...especially since it wasn't 45 days (Just 42).  I should have spoken up and said, honey that is super sweet but I still have a few days and then 2 weeks worth of introduction, and oh yes, the wine kitchen is not my choice for first meal out as I had decided on no wine for 60 days.  I should not have bought gluten free grains and instead bought a lot of squash and gone vegetarian while I was sick and couldn't digest protein very well, even though it was hard to stand up long enough to prepare food.  I should have had a freezer full of bone broth saved instead of gobbling it all up whenever I make it.  :)  I should have realized those "panic attacks" were related to an illness (inner ear issues that result in vertigo put your body in kind of constant fight or flight because it thinks you're falling all the time). 

Plan of action:  Keep the sound sleeping going through sleep month March and re-connect with the self improvement goals for February, which include low TV watching and other time-wasting activities in favor of de-cluttering, Spring cleaning, and sticking to stretching and functional fitness work on a daily basis, along with daily writing and reflecting, communicating clearly and assertively with loved ones (like my BF) and self-forgiveness for not staying on plan.  Stop eating all the grains and make sure I'm eating enough nourishing food to not feel hungry....essentially go back to the Whole 30 until my vertigo is completely cleared so that I can get moving back towards my goal of daily yoga (one cannot do any inverted or even side-leaning poses with vertigo).  Continue no alcohol and no sugar, dairy, nuts and other known allergens.

One note about sleep - the combination of persistence with Natural Calm, getting out of pain, and probably the meclizine (an antihistamine) for the vertigo was what pushed me into the sleep place.  Maybe the grains as well.  Right now I'm weaning myself off of the meclizine and re-invigorating my stretches and daily walking now that the vertigo is subsiding.  As such, I hope to be able to continue with the solid 8-11 hours I've been getting.  Goodness knows that I have years of sleep deprivation to make up for.  :)

Glad to be back!  It seems there are folks sticking with this thread and I am glad to have your posts to read to help me get back into the right headspace. 

Happy Sunday, all!

> It seems there are folks sticking with this thread

Oh don't you worry about that! :) This thread might not be 300 pages long on 12/31/16, but there *will* be posts!

>Also, I have been making great progress with my arthritis, working with a massage therapist who works into deep tissue with techniques like fascia stretching.

Any tips? I do stuff with a lacrosse ball and a foam roller, but I'd be interested in upping my game.

Ok I came across this info in February but I held it 'til now for our focus on sleep:

http://www.healthylifetricks.com/this-is-why-you-should-be-sleeping-on-your-left-side/

sleeping-on-the-left-side.jpg

Anyone else heard of this? Most sites that repost it are kind of hippy-dippy (e.g. http://www.warriorzen.com/if-you-sleep-on-the-right-side.html)

Looks like the source video?

http://lifespa.com/amazing-benefits-of-sleeping-on-your-left-side/

Here it looks like right-side sleeping aggravated heartburn: http://www.nytimes.com/2010/10/26/health/26really.html?_r=0

I heard about this years back when I expecting my first born. I was suffering from a HUGE amount of heart burn and when I did some research it was suggested that sleeping on my left side would relieve it, and when I tried it it worked. Can't recollect the source but in my defence it was 14 years ago!!

I've made a conscious effort to keep it up since then and I tend to naturally move to that side now once I'm asleep (I fall asleep initially on my stomach). In the early days I stopped myself rolling to the right by putting a pillow at my right side so it kind of got in the way...

OK, I'm planning on my phone during a seminar, so just wanted to mention a couple sleep factors for y'all to check on:

Sleeping environment: darkness, quiet, physical comfort (mattress, pillows, temperature), serenity

Physical factors: exercise, digestion, hydration (waking up to pee), caffeine

Emotional/Psychological: stress, relaxation, meditation

Archived