Join A 2016 Whole9 Challenge!

LucieB

Best of luck, Christina! That's a scary weekend - glad you're back home and taking care of yourself!

kirkor, I drink decaf occasionally and have found, just like with the regular stuff, it depends on the beans. If I get good quality decaf I enjoy it just as much as my morning regular. (I should maybe think about switching the morning to decaf too... but I have so much fun trying different kinds of beans! There's not as much variety in decaf.)

The kind of nebulous goals like "reduce stress" are hard for me to a) remember to work on and B) decide if I've "progressed" at all. I'm a type-A, quantitative type of person. I did meditate/quiet time just about every weekday morning (and most Saturdays), which is a habit I want to keep going. Sleep continues to be a work in progress; I'm getting more on average the last couple of weeks, but definitely still room for improvement.

All that to say, I'm glad for a somewhat more quantitative goal in May! I already do power yoga twice a week (typically) and try to get out for a short hike at least once a week as often as I can - I'm very lucky to live somewhere with several trails within 30 minutes of my house. So I'll definitely keep that up, but decided to set a goal of at least 10,000 steps on the ol' Fitbit every day this month, whether I have dedicated exercise time or not. Given that I am tied to screens all day at work and commute via car, this is a challenge, but it's not an insurmountable one and now that the weather is warmish I don't have a valid excuse. I do have a sit/stand desk, but standing doesn't get you steps! (Neither does cubicle dancing. Believe me. I've tried. The cube is just too small to move enough!)

• Replies 580
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey everyone!  I am back after a let me just try to sleep and de-stress hiatus from electronic obsessions.  Ha!  I've read through to catch up and am now getting back in to get some insight on two things.  One is "staying with the new habits formed in previous months" and the second is "using the diet/de-stress/sleep" things to support the healthy movement. 

Quick status report on me:  I did well with sleep WHEN I WAS !00% focused on it.  I am now trying to review what was working and get back to that...mostly probably too much caffeine and arguably I need to be more physically tired.  I did very well with stress management last month, during an extraordinarily stressful work time that in the past would have rendered me very ill and completely derailed from healthy habits, and I need to make sure I stay with this so that I can maintain balance and keep making strides towards overall health.  I'm doing weil on the run up/prep work for healthy movement this month because I've been continuing with physical therapy and FST massage.

Right now, I am at a tipping point that I've been to so many, many times in the past 8 years.  I've made REAL progress with my health, but it's a bit of a house of cards.  If I don't hurry up and get that Orpheus sleep card positioned just right (get my sleep back to where it was when I was 100% focused), and if I don't get that gluttony card to flatten out so it can stand up straight (get more Whole 30 compliant more regularly), and make sure that posi-zen card isn't positioned exactly right at the fulcurm (keep my stress under control) then I'm going to hit a wall here pretty soon and the house of cards will come tumbling down and I'll have to start all over.

That's why I'm back!  I would like to know, how is everyone doing at sustaining the changes?  I find it hard unless I dedicated a LOT of time and focus and as each new thing comes up month to month....it just means MORE.  More tracking, more reading, more forum-in, more instrospection.. by the end of the 9 months I will likely arrive at the realization that if I didn't have to work full time and didn't have responsibilities to others I could be really super healthy!

Are the rest of you finding that with 30 days of focus/practice the change becomes habit?  I'm afraid my brain isn't quite elastic enough for that.  I'm deciding to be hopeful.  I'm hopeful that adding more movement, more strenuous exercise, and tightening up on my eating habits and sleep hygiene will force the integration of all things good.  Grateful for any tricks/lessons learned/hacks!

Melimuse

I just finished a book on the topic of the psychology/finance - called "It's Not About the Money" by Brent Kessel, a financial advisor. He cautions against focusing on what's wrong financially, and telling ourselves not to do this, not to buy that, or not to work so much. He says that these kinds of commands end up reinforcing the behavior we are trying to discourage, and "what we need instead is the ability to make financial decisions with less agitation, with a mind at peace." I thought, yes, financial decisions, menu decisions, exercise decisions... Make them with less agitation, with a mind a peace.

... by the end of the 9 months I will likely arrive at the realization that if I didn't have to work full time and didn't have responsibilities to others I could be really super healthy!

"The entrepreneur's dilemma:

Maintaining friendships. Building a great company. Spending time w/family. Staying fit. Getting sleep.

Pick 3."

https://twitter.com/randizuckerberg/status/145030699966136320

"The entrepreneur's dilemma:

Maintaining friendships. Building a great company. Spending time w/family. Staying fit. Getting sleep.

Pick 3."

https://twitter.com/randizuckerberg/status/145030699966136320

Oh Kirkor, I can't, I just can't even pick.  I guess it's just being smack dab in the middle of one's life that creates this situation where we are so very, very busy with all the things (can you tell I have a 20-something child just by my syntax?).  I am hoping that doing my healthy movement every single day will help me to develop more endurance to get through this next 13 years of my career (federal employee) with enough life left in me for artistic pursuits and more of the great out-doors.  Just now I only allow myself those things in small doses.

Yesterday I did all of my steps walking outdoors with my dog even though it was raining - fitbit is so helpful - and my physical therapy. Physical therapy exercises for me right now are "stabilizing" - I've gotten through the pain and have improved "mobility" these past several months.  It's a long haul for me.  The exercises are full body weight and on my left side, very difficult, so I think it counts as healthy movement, yes?  I added strength training with weights for my upper body over the weekend, and some very basic core work to go with it. 

I'm reading the links on healthy movement.  You should see me prancercising around the house to get the last bit of steps in some nights.  The dog dancing alongside.  :)

So......

April turned out to be one of my least stressful moths, like, ever. I don;t know if it's because I've had a mind shift over the last year, or because circumstances just dictated that it would be so, or if I came into April having had a break at Easter and just felt calm and prepared to face whatever the world threw at me. I'll take it either way. I lean towards the mind shift though because since starting Whole9 over a year ago I've been trying wholeheartedly to do more of the things that make me happy and less of the things that don't. That's had a knock on effect on all nine pillars of the Whole9 life...

Sure, I had stressful days/moments/thoughts at times - but I just dealt with them differently - and I can't really put my finger on how.

My head just seems to be in a much better place.

For May my focus will be on getting back to my daily foam rolling routine, plus warm up & cool down routines which have been hugely neglected in recent months - where my focus on has been in rebuilding strength - a time when it was probably needed most. I continue to receive physio for some trapped nerves in my shoulder following a car crash just under a year ago, am scheduling some sports massage for the coming weeks, and think that re-incorporating this healthy movement practice will really help iron out any lingering problems...

Time to dust off the Purple Beast!!

10403183_730629786975147_980759156796293

I'm reading the links on healthy movement.  You should see me prancercising around the house to get the last bit of steps in some nights.  The dog dancing alongside.  :)

Nice!  Do you do the other tricks like parking at the far end of the parking lot when you go to a shop?

Right now, I am at a tipping point that I've been to so many, many times in the past 8 years.  I've made REAL progress with my health, but it's a bit of a house of cards.  If I don't hurry up and get that Orpheus sleep card positioned just right (get my sleep back to where it was when I was 100% focused), and if I don't get that gluttony card to flatten out so it can stand up straight (get more Whole 30 compliant more regularly), and make sure that posi-zen card isn't positioned exactly right at the fulcurm (keep my stress under control) then I'm going to hit a wall here pretty soon and the house of cards will come tumbling down and I'll have to start all over.

Melimuse

Hi Melimuse.

I hear what you are saying with the do more and more and more ... when does it end?!?  

I found myself in a similar place recently.  I added a number of "improvements" to my daily to-do list and I felt overwhelmed.  Every down moment needed to an opportunity to grow and learn and improve ME.  It was too much.  Interestingly, I was listening to an inspirational CD (while I was cooking), feeling like that was the last thing I wanted to do (I like to put on FoodNetwork while I cook - but "wanted" to use the time productively).  

Anyway, as I was listening (the speaker was talking about self-improvement) he off-handedly mentioned that NOT every moment should be or needs to be about improving.  There is great value to relaxing and enjoying. Yea. 

That gave me a more balanced perspective.  Now I have a list of the basics - simple things that give me the most return.  Things I'd like to incorporate in my life - things I want to do daily.  And when the spirit moves me and I'm having an energetic, go-for-it kind of day, I do go above and beyond.  And when I'm not in the mood, I just do the basics.  Most days are somewhere in between.

I like trying new things. Some stick, some don't.  So when we focus on a new month, I try things that pertain to the topic.  But I let most of it go at the end of the month ... because (like you said) I can't do everything.  For me, it's about having the experience.  I learn from trying new things and use that knowledge when I need it. 

I hope that makes sense.  I tend to have an all-or-nothing attitude and I can get myself crazy trying to do the "all." 

Time to dust off the Purple Beast!!

Here's my team of girls:

the-girls_zpsfnbsp4cd.jpg

Annie is named after the Egyptian lady from the movie The Mummy (since it's shaped like a pyramid, get it? ;)) ... it's a psoas-inator per Kelly Starrett ...

Ricky is a homemade "tiger tail" roller 

Penelope and Ophelia are lacrosse balls

Bertha is a PVC pipe

Samantha is a Body Back Buddy

I own a very similar collection, but please tell me more about Samantha...  B)

She's the one that started it all! You work with her and the curve lets you hit spots using leverage ... put the end of the curve on your shoulders and press with the straight bits ... the two ends have rounded and pointed tips depending on how sharp you want the pressure ... some of the other knobs are spaced to hit the muscles in along your spine or the back or your neck ... you can use the straight parts to dig in to your hip flexor ... the single knob on the inside curve is for the arch of your foot ... you can hook it in to your glutes ... definitely awesomesauce!

Nice!  Do you do the other tricks like parking at the far end of the parking lot when you go to a shop?

Kirkor, I enjoy the unbelievable privilege of working from home.  So most days I don't go anywhere unless it's walking.  I live in a beautiful little historic city which is extremely walkable and more recently becoming bicyle-able!  Perhaps my May movement enhancement could be to get back on that bike!  I have to set little timers to make myself get up from my laptop, which is my "presence" at work.  Some days I sit so rigidly that I forget to even feed myself (ah the brain is such an addictive little critter, loves the strokes for the problem solving).  Anyway, some of those tricks don't cut it for me.  What I have going for me is my dog; he comes to let me know it's been too long since I moved.  Hence he is my very, very best friend.  :)

Hi Melimuse.

I hear what you are saying with the do more and more and more ... when does it end?!?  

I found myself in a similar place recently.  I added a number of "improvements" to my daily to-do list and I felt overwhelmed.  Every down moment needed to an opportunity to grow and learn and improve ME.  It was too much.  Interestingly, I was listening to an inspirational CD (while I was cooking), feeling like that was the last thing I wanted to do (I like to put on FoodNetwork while I cook - but "wanted" to use the time productively).  

Anyway, as I was listening (the speaker was talking about self-improvement) he off-handedly mentioned that NOT every moment should be or needs to be about improving.  There is great value to relaxing and enjoying. Yea. 

That gave me a more balanced perspective.  Now I have a list of the basics - simple things that give me the most return.  Things I'd like to incorporate in my life - things I want to do daily.  And when the spirit moves me and I'm having an energetic, go-for-it kind of day, I do go above and beyond.  And when I'm not in the mood, I just do the basics.  Most days are somewhere in between.

I like trying new things. Some stick, some don't.  So when we focus on a new month, I try things that pertain to the topic.  But I let most of it go at the end of the month ... because (like you said) I can't do everything.  For me, it's about having the experience.  I learn from trying new things and use that knowledge when I need it. 

I hope that makes sense.  I tend to have an all-or-nothing attitude and I can get myself crazy trying to do the "all." 

Whole Christina, thanks for this response!  It helps a great deal to know that everyone doesn't just magically add more to all the things as though by sheer effort we can fold space or make time or something!  One thing that happened for me this last week is that because I have been prioritizing, like you, "the basics" at a minimum, and making my physical therapy exercises part of "the basics", I actually got new and more advanced exercises this week to replace the old ones.  This is because I'm making progress!  Hurray!  I was skeptical, asking my doctor twice if he really meant that I didn't have to do those old ones any more and he said, no, you don't.  We may come back to those later to see if they are easier, but for now just do these new ones.  Adding to the list every two weeks is not sustainable. Aha!    I guess what this means is, take something off the list and add something new, more challenging, or just different.  I think you are really onto something when you say just trying something new gives you a lift.  Good thinking!

Okay where does one get a Samantha???  Also, Anuk Su Namon - that just kills me.  When my son (nearly 18 now) was about 4 or 5, the Mummy was his favorite movie and he would run around the house playing big Rick O'Connell to my Evie.  He directed my clothing, the scene, the action, the dialogue.  Mostly he would come along and save me from Anuk Su Namon and Imhotep.  Ah, happy Mother's Day reminiscing!  :)

She's the one that started it all! You work with her and the curve lets you hit spots using leverage ... put the end of the curve on your shoulders and press with the straight bits ... the two ends have rounded and pointed tips depending on how sharp you want the pressure ... some of the other knobs are spaced to hit the muscles in along your spine or the back or your neck ... you can use the straight parts to dig in to your hip flexor ... the single knob on the inside curve is for the arch of your foot ... you can hook it in to your glutes ... definitely awesomesauce!

Perhaps my May movement enhancement could be to get back on that bike! 

That reminds me --- I have a bicycle-related May update as well!  My bike's rear derailleur fell apart on my last weekend, so I ordered a new one.  I've never done any bike "mechanic-ing" before but I'm fairly handy overall so I figured "how hard could it be?" Well, I got it installed successfully, and re: tuning it ... umm, I'm going to call it adequate:D I've been on a few rides now and I can shift gears and nothing fell off (and I didn't have any leftover parts) so I think that means everything will be ok.

Okay where does one get a Samantha???  

BOOM! http://amzn.to/1rBmmtK

BUT it (she? he? (My SIL took a page from my book: she bought one and named him Reginald)) sometimes goes on sale for closer to $30 so check here -- http://camelcamelcamel.com/Body-Back-Companys-Trigger-Self-Massage/product/B0006VJ6TO(and really, for non-essential purchases you should check camelcamelcamel anyway, ya?) ...

BOOM! http://amzn.to/1rBmmtK

BUT it (she? he? (My SIL took a page from my book: she bought one and named him Reginald)) sometimes goes on sale for closer to $30 so check here -- http://camelcamelcamel.com/Body-Back-Companys-Trigger-Self-Massage/product/B0006VJ6TO(and really, for non-essential purchases you should check camelcamelcamel anyway, ya?) ...

I was just gonna say - I think she and I need to get acquainted - will have to look on the uk site and see what I can find....

Hi everyone!  Just a quick report-out - focusing on movement this month is already paying dividends!  I have dropped 1% bodyfat in the last 10 days and 3 pounds (starting target was 15 pounds of fat loss and 10% bodyfat percentage loss) and have upped my movement reps - physical therapy - to 2 sets with 20% more reps per movement.  Movement is easier and I am gaining range of motion.  I am also very focused on my diet because of the way foods impact my inflammation and pain.

The fascial stretching therapy/deep tissue massage is extremely beneficial.  I'm going every other week for 90 minutes.  This week I hopped into the infrared sauna afterwards for 45 minutes and am here to report that this resulted in deep relaxation, a cessation of all pain, and the best nights sleep I've had in a while.  The sauna was lit by red, green and blue lights which was very soothing.  Today I'm up and at em and back at the weights.  While I watch one episode of TV this eve, I'll tune up my bike,  I need the rain to go away, and then I'll take myself out for a test ride.

Hope all are well!

Oh Kirkor I think my personal trainer must have seen this today -- my workout warmed up on dead lifts and went from there with row, presses, and other variations all with the bar. Oooooh yeah that felt good!

Someone above said "...the do more and more and more ... when does it end?!?"

I spent April trying to de-stress then lined up a May plan of do more do more do more?! So my plan of rollin' and challengin' and etc'n is off. The need to get that stuff done only brought back the stress I felt before! So I'm thinking on it. 

I did get my standing desk back in use, and I'm walking at lunch for the sunshine. Start there :)

Welcome new Whole9 Challengers and LOVE the updates and laughs I find here!!

So we've got some people doing walks and hikes, we've got some people using weights, we've got some people doing yoga ... what are some other ways we can focus on healthy movement?

Do you park farther away in parking lots so you get some extra steps walking to the store?

Do you take the stairs instead of the elevator?

Do you go for a walk on your lunch break instead of sitting at your desk or in your car?

Do you do an after-dinner activity that involves movement rather than sitting on the couch or in front of your computer?

DO you ride your bicycle instead of driving somewhere?

WOW! I love this! If it's not too late I would love to join all you fine people. I am currently doing a W30 (at a whopping day 4...) but this is my second go-around and I've stayed very in touch with this program, which has turned me onto some really life changing reading material, starting with It Starts With Food, as well as The Power of Habit, Better Than Before, The Charisma Myth....etc. to say food is only the beginning is a major understatement.

About Me:

I'm a cyclist (back country/gravel mostly), live out of town, raise beef for a living (yay for eating programs that promote proper protein consumption ;) ) have a number of kiddoes, love anything and everything that gets me and the aforementioned kiddoes outdoors. My entire life is EXTREMELY time crunched. I am learning that there is no such thing as "balance" there are just priorities. You can't have it all, you have to figure out what matters most to you and let a lot of stuff go. I am a recovering perfectionist!

My Goals: So the May theme is "movement"....hmmm....you would think that someone who spends a lot of time riding a bike would have the 'movement' thing down, right? But what I've really noticed is how often I seek energy/mood change in food, when I'm really physically full. What I am learning is that I can find the energy I need in movement. BUT-when I'm feeling down/stressed out/tired (because I have NOT figured out the lots of sleep thing yet) it's REALLY hard to motivate myself to do a little something active to feel better. It is NOT hard to motivate myself to munch on *anything available*. Mark Sisson had a intriguing post "Movement: does movement make happier, more energetic and less stressed" and an outline for a "personal experiment". What I'm finding works for me is to focus on 2-5 minute "bursts" of movement: literally doing a few squats/pushups/calf raises/general bodyweight exercises, OR a quick jog up the driveway, OR, a few minutes of weeding as much as I can as fast as I can in the yard OR scrubbing one of our (perpetually dirty) showers....you get the picture. For some reason focusing on something small and very short duration isn't overwhelming and I really do feel amazingly better and more interested in tackling whatever I'm trying to focus on when I'm done. So my goal would be to focus on turning OFF my brain (rationalizations, justifications...) and JUST DOING WHAT I KNOW WILL MAKE ME FEEL BETTER. Specifically, when I want to snack between meals, or continue munching at a meal and I'm not truly hungry, GET UP AND MOVE-choose something of my activity burst list and do it!

I will try to post at least an example or two most days to try to keep myself on track. Looking forward to hearing about all your other great ideas and strategies!

Stravajunkie it's never too late to make positive changes for yourself. Welcome! :)

Over the weekend I thought about kirkor's questions and how I add movement. I park on the other side of the line in big box store parking lots that designate where employees have to park. Always take the stairs, and have been called out by coworkers if they see me in the elevator (was injured). I've learned this month that a walk after lunch settles my stomach, so I've added a post dinner walk too. I bike everywhere I can -- work, gym, and errands. I also give a literal meaning to "running errands".  :P

On the afternoons that I work at a computer I find my mind goes numb, even in the hours after I'm done! Standing at my desk helps but it's still dulling me. So I walk more stairs! 

This month didn't go as I planned it, and that ended up being for the better. After de-stressing in April I didn't want to add stress back. So I'm moving less but winning!

Finally getting around to catching up with everyone! 

Stress -- I've made MAJOR gains here. My stressors weren't acute, but rather these little naggy things that accumulated on me. Reminders on my phone that popped up every day; news articles or podcasts notices emailed to me; neighborhood or blog feed updates; tiny household chores going undone until I 'had more time'; letters to family I kept wanting to write; a receipt at work I need to submit lurks on my desk; a messy yard that needs a few hours of work; errands that wait for many weekends.  I felt like I was constantly being PINGED with do-this then do-that then do-this and do-that. And none of it was anyone else telling me to do it, that's a separate list. This was all on and from ME!

So I killed the reminders, I'll hang a post-it on the fridge instead of seeing it repeatedly when I open the phone. Set my phone to Do Not Disturb from 8pm to 6am, working my way up to 9am. Unsubscribed to every digest or email feed. Limited myself to checking one website a day. Set Wednesday as my letter writing day, so I don't think about it any other day. I do 2-3 fast tidy-ups before leaving for work so I don't see the mess a second time upon coming home. At lunch I pick three chores on my list to do before dinner, that way stuff gets done but it doesn't take all night doing them. Sometimes it's just "spend 15 mins in the yard" or "do 10 mins of meditation". 

Removing all this noise from my life has been great. How long have I been living like this?!  I guess it's a slow snowball effect. One news feed here, another there. I feel like a big clog has been cleared from the pipes :)

LOVE these suggestions for reducing the ball-and-chain of the notifications and alerts, LucieB! I turned off all of my notifications on my social apps a while ago, but I still have them on for texts, calendar alerts, and reminders. Like you said, I create the reminders for me to, you know, remember to do stuff. But I either don't have time, I'm not in the right place, so they just go off over and over for no real purpose. Let's get back to the post-it note on the fridge days, simple and effective!

Hey all,

Checking in - enjoying all the posts.

I had a set back a week ago.  

I have problems occasionally with passing out (hello mid-life!) ... after lots of tests, figured out it's probably low blood pressure exacerbated by dehydration among other things.  I've gotten good about recognizing when it's happening (and also preventing it).  But didn't catch it when I got up to go to the bathroom early morning last weekend (kind of a perfect storm of mistakes on my part).  Knocked myself out on the tile floor (scared hubby something fierce), ambulance, ED, CT ... now recovering from a concussion.

All that to say I'm on a break from working out until things heal up.  The progress feels slow, but I'm getting better.  (I'm really impatient ... more so than I thought.)

Brain resting is boring.  I'm well enough now to do a little reading (and computer), but no driving, TV, etc.  Won't complain (but I want to!!) since it could have been much worse and I should have been more careful to prevent it.

Trying to use this time to practice a restful mind (meditation-like stuff) because that's about all I can do  :( but lordy it's hard!  

Hope to be back at it in a couple of weeks.

Yikes, hope you heal up soon, Christina

Hey everyone!  I am back after a let me just try to sleep and de-stress hiatus from electronic obsessions.  Ha!  I've read through to catch up and am now getting back in to get some insight on two things.  One is "staying with the new habits formed in previous months" and the second is "using the diet/de-stress/sleep" things to support the healthy movement. 

Quick status report on me:  I did well with sleep WHEN I WAS !00% focused on it.  I am now trying to review what was working and get back to that...mostly probably too much caffeine and arguably I need to be more physically tired.  I did very well with stress management last month, during an extraordinarily stressful work time that in the past would have rendered me very ill and completely derailed from healthy habits, and I need to make sure I stay with this so that I can maintain balance and keep making strides towards overall health.  I'm doing weil on the run up/prep work for healthy movement this month because I've been continuing with physical therapy and FST massage.

That's why I'm back!  I would like to know, how is everyone doing at sustaining the changes?  I find it hard unless I dedicated a LOT of time and focus and as each new thing comes up month to month....it just means MORE.  More tracking, more reading, more forum-in, more instrospection.. by the end of the 9 months I will likely arrive at the realization that if I didn't have to work full time and didn't have responsibilities to others I could be really super healthy!

Are the rest of you finding that with 30 days of focus/practice the change becomes habit?  I'm afraid my brain isn't quite elastic enough for that.  I'm deciding to be hopeful.  I'm hopeful that adding more movement, more strenuous exercise, and tightening up on my eating habits and sleep hygiene will force the integration of all things good.  Grateful for any tricks/lessons learned/hacks!

Melimuse

Melimuse: ugh, this! Yes, I feel like every month I have to add MORE in, and I haven't even gotten a grip on the goals from last month! Sort of like the approach Gretchen Rubin used in "The Happiness Project," I've been a bit discerning on what stuff seems to work with a bit of effort, and what goals I probably just don't have it in me to carry out any longer (I'm looking at you, "Prep for everything tomorrow the night before." Great idea, tough for me to practice.) But it's hard for me to change gears, and to remember that my gears have changed. Sort of like daylight savings. And I want to keep up stuff that directly conflicts, like "get enough sleep" with "get up early for the 6am CrossFit class." In the end, I just sort of have to make a judgement call on what's more pressing - sleep or fitness - and make a decision. Some days it's the snooze button, others it's the gym. Glad I'm not alone in the "how do I cram 30 hours in a 24 hour day" club!

Archived