Join A 2016 Whole9 Challenge!

LucieB

YES! I am up for this! I am starting my Whole30 on Monday (1/4) along with my boyfriend and possibly my mom (finger's crossed). I would love to have more goals to reach after the Whole30. I'll admit I'm still a bit lost as to what I'm supposed to do after the 30 days >.< 

• Replies 580
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm NOT doing an official Whole30 for January, although my day to day eating looks very much like Whole30 anyways.

My focus for the month will be reintroing high FODMAP food which I've been eliminating pretty much completely since the end of July 2015, focusing first on fructans (which I *think* I can tolerate in small quantities), followed by polyols (which I think cause me a WHOLE lotta grief).

First up is sauerkraut, starting at meal one on Monday, and aiming for one portion every other day. I'll follow a similar schedule with leeks, broccoli, beetroot, garlic, onions, cabbage & sprouts. One food per week. One portion every other day. The whole thing will obviously take longer than 30 days so I'll just continue on as required alongside the other monthly themes.

If I have nine new foods at the end of the nine months I'll be thrilled!!

hello and welcome AnnieLynne!

I wouldn't be too concerned at this point about what you'll eat AFTER... use today and tomorrow to shop for whole and healthy foods, prep, plan menus,and empty your cupboards, glove compartment and drawers in your desk of any non-compliant food... easy to resist when not in sight or available.

Use all the great resources of the Whole30 blog and the Forum of course.

One day at the time...until day 30.

There will be information about reintroduction. Did you sign up to receive Melissa's emails?

I was going to say "Good Luck" but it's not about "luck" is it? It is about each and everyone of us making a informed and deliberate choice, each time we do feed ourselves in order to sustain ourselves in the healthiest possible way!

For those not doing an official W30 for January, have you completed one in the past?

What are some of your plans to focus on nutrition this month?

Some possibilities:

- buying better ingredients than usual

- trying new recipes

- increasing hydration

- looking at supplements (probiotics, Vitamin D, etc.)

- evaluate habits around eating: driving, grazing, watching TV, social gatherings

- improve place settings, kitchen cleaning, and other visual/pschological cues related to eating

- theme meals (regional cuisines, batch cooking, other fun stuff)

I'm at the end of day 2 W30 - all going fine - eat 99% paleo anyway

But looking at your list... habits are of interest to me and I am trying to bend old ones into new - I take levothyroxine and have relatively recently started taking it at night rather than the morning - you have to take it on an empty stomach so have to eat dinner early (or I guess go to bed late) - it has really surprised me how hard it has been not to snack / graze after dinner - even when washing fruit for the kids lunches - it is so easy to pop a couple of grapes in !! 

Incidentally for those of you with thyroid issues and who take levo I have noticed a big improvement since taking it at night - but I have found it really hard to eat earlier and not to absentmindedly pop something in my mouth 

Like the notion of psychological cues regarding eating - I will watch out for those 

Zoe, I'm interested to know what benefits you've found from taking levothyroxine at night - I've taken it for almost 20 years now, and always in the morning. In the last 5 years I've lost a whole lotta hair, and I'd specifically like to know if you have any hair-related benefits from taking it at night. Hoping against hope...

I'm glad to have this extended program! I'very done 2 w hOle 30s last year. January I'm doing what I'm calling "my" whole 30. From last year I learned I must stay gluten free but no gluten grains are okay. Likewise aged or fermented dairy kefir, cheese) are fine but never milk. Since my goal is to sustain this diet I may choose to use very limited amounts of these food. Thanks to whole 30 and reintroductions, I kniw what works and what doesn't now (soy alcohol legumes and sugar are off limits). My downfall over the holidays were alcohol sugar and wheat so am glad to get back to what works for me.

Hi all,

I'd like to join this group too. Currently on Day 3 of the W30 (my second, did the first some time ago) and enjoying it but feel I need to commit to something longer term for sustainable health and well being. I'm 46, reasonably fit and active,  mother to two and while I feel I've reached a point of self acceptance and peace about myself, recognise the areas in my life that need tweaks as well as major changes. I do work in a pretty stressful area [child protection] and I think I have increasingly of late, used the stress of my work as an excuse for lapsing into some poor habits. Key to this is re-evaluating the role of alcohol in my life and realising I don't enjoy it as much anymore, even though I have been increasingly depending on it to 'take my mind off the day' and that 2016 may be the year in which I ditch it completely from my life. 2015 had some pretty significant life changing events for me and I guess I've realised to make the most of every day I need to be more physically, mentally and spiritually present and in the moment for myself, my children, my partner and in fact, the children and families I work with-all of which I am absolutely 100% committed to. I guess in a nutshell I want to live my life as fully as possible, like all of us I assume. It is nice to be in like minded company though I have to say, very inspiring all of you. :) Here's to 2016 positive life changes! 

Hi folks,

Just a quick check-in: yup, got the flu. I don't doubt this is in part because of less than optimal w health habits lately.

Grocery shopping h had to wait, but the good news is that my daughter is joining us for the Whole 9 challenge. I'll be excited once this crud passes...in the meantime, I'm practicing good eating, though the prep phase got lost. I'll be able to do some batch cooking in a few days with my daughter, once I am not contagious. I have to keep the perspective that this is a life changing lifestyle, and the long haul is more important than perfect timing.

I'm glad to have this extended program! I'very done 2 w hOle 30s last year. January I'm doing what I'm calling "my" whole 30. From last year I learned I must stay gluten free but no gluten grains are okay. Likewise aged or fermented dairy kefir, cheese) are fine but never milk. Since my goal is to sustain this diet I may choose to use very limited amounts of these food. Thanks to whole 30 and reintroductions, I kniw what works and what doesn't now (soy alcohol legumes and sugar are off limits). My downfall over the holidays were alcohol sugar and wheat so am glad to get back to what works for me.

Glad to have you aboard, Islandgirl!

I'm in a similar position (doing reintroductions now to decide what my personalized eating plan will look like).

(And I lived on San Juan Island, then in Port Townsend and then in Seattle (Fremont pre-gentrification) and adore Bainbridge Island.)

For those not doing an official W30 for January, have you completed one in the past?

What are some of your plans to focus on nutrition this month?

Some possibilities:

- buying better ingredients than usual

- trying new recipes

- increasing hydration

- looking at supplements (probiotics, Vitamin D, etc.)

- evaluate habits around eating: driving, grazing, watching TV, social gatherings

- improve place settings, kitchen cleaning, and other visual/pschological cues related to eating

- theme meals (regional cuisines, batch cooking, other fun stuff)

My goal is to try a new food each week and Increase my mindfulness at meal times. Too often I peruse the computer while eating. finding a new food is getting harder. I have tried most everything now at my favorite grocery. They do get something new every so often. Need to hit the Asian market again. Last time I was there they didn't have much compliant stuff. They did have these purple yams that were good.

Hi all,

I'd like to join this group too. Currently on Day 3 of the W30 (my second, did the first some time ago) and enjoying it but feel I need to commit to something longer term for sustainable health and well being. I'm 46, reasonably fit and active,  mother to two and while I feel I've reached a point of self acceptance and peace about myself, recognise the areas in my life that need tweaks as well as major changes. I do work in a pretty stressful area [child protection] and I think I have increasingly of late, used the stress of my work as an excuse for lapsing into some poor habits. Key to this is re-evaluating the role of alcohol in my life and realising I don't enjoy it as much anymore, even though I have been increasingly depending on it to 'take my mind off the day' and that 2016 may be the year in which I ditch it completely from my life. 2015 had some pretty significant life changing events for me and I guess I've realised to make the most of every day I need to be more physically, mentally and spiritually present and in the moment for myself, my children, my partner and in fact, the children and families I work with-all of which I am absolutely 100% committed to. I guess in a nutshell I want to live my life as fully as possible, like all of us I assume. It is nice to be in like minded company though I have to say, very inspiring all of you. :) Here's to 2016 positive life changes!

Born Sandy, your desire to be physically, mentally and spiritually present really resonates with me.

Back when I was in grad school (getting an MFA in sculpture) and using alcohol to de-stress and relax in the evenings (in reality, it did neither) I stopped drinking. I now say that it took me so long to find my consciousness (I was in my 40's when I went back to school) that I decided not to alter it anymore. :-)

Thank you Born Sandy for your post. I bet many can relate.

I just wanted to share that, as I planned (yay) I am working  on this coming week menus...

As I am flipping through the Whole30 "30-day Guide to Total Health and Food Freedom" my eyes caught this (p.129) about the SUGAR DRAGON:

"Here is what NOT DO DO: reach for a compliant sweet treat to satisfy your sugar craving."

AND

"every time your resist a craving, your Sugar Dragon gets a little fiery, so don't use fruit or nut butters as a sugar crutch"

The woman is a witch... that is EXACTLY what I was going to do, seriously... forget about the glass of wine, this is way harder!

Hi Artfossil and islandgirl,

I lived for several years on Lummi Island, near Bellingham,, as well as Langley on Whidbey. My mother is still on Lummi and my sister is on Whidbey. You made me homesick for the Pacific NW. My house overlooked Haile's passage...

AmyS

Sorry haven't really seen any hair improvement but...

Definately feel more alert - less brain fog & feel more "here"

Feel less lethargic - so stronger / brighter / more energetic

Did it as a bit of an experiment as it was coming into winter - I always struggle in the winter - feel I need the dosage to go up just to get me through - but see the endocronologist that infrequently by the time I have bloods done they are out of date

After a bit of research I started taking levo at night - improvements were slow and subtle - but over time I have just felt better to the extent I probably wont go back to taking it in the morning 

I understand the longer levo has to work in an empty resting body the better it performs - I am mildly stressed within about 10 mins of getting up each morning so it wasn't getting a chance (the joys of 3 kids and a job)

Can't attribute the improvement to anything else as nothing much else has changed

Sadly it hasn't boosted any notable weight loss - but that's why I eat paleo

Zoe

Thank you Born Sandy for your post. I bet many can relate.

I just wanted to share that, as I planned (yay) I am working  on this coming week menus...

As I am flipping through the Whole30 "30-day Guide to Total Health and Food Freedom" my eyes caught this (p.129) about the SUGAR DRAGON:

"Here is what NOT DO DO: reach for a compliant sweet treat to satisfy your sugar craving."

AND

"every time your resist a craving, your Sugar Dragon gets a little fiery, so don't use fruit or nut butters as a sugar crutch"

The woman is a witch... that is EXACTLY what I was going to do, seriously... forget about the glass of wine, this is way harder!

Fat is the ABSOLUTE ONLY way to quash cravings as it has the exact same effect on dopamine levels that sugar does - even natural sugars. Protein doesn't effect dopamine levels AT ALL - unless it's cooked in fat.

Fat is your friend  ;)

Fat is the ABSOLUTE ONLY way to quash cravings as it has the exact same effect on dopamine levels that sugar does - even natural sugars. Protein doesn't effect dopamine levels AT ALL - unless it's cooked in fat.

Fat is your friend  ;)

You just made my day! Thank you for that reminder. I see that I still have A LOT to integrate and remember. Happy Day 3 everyone!

I am reading again as I go the daily, the emails I subscribed to and that I got last year in my inbox every morning. As usual, dead on... right!

In - very- brief Melissa explains:

Day 1 is about "Why do I eat and Why do I eat it?" and How the the first week is "transitional"- Remember the Good Food Standards-

Apply MEAL MAP: animal protein + lots of vegetables + fat + seasonings

Day 2: is about finding support and setting ourselves for success: commit to goals on paper, get support, think through the motivation, realize the obstacles, track progress, have accountability, know the triggers, do some reading

Day 3 is "One of the toughest days" and she adds "this too shall pass, really, I promise"  Day 3 feels like: Tired, Cranky/Moody, Detoxin'

SO she recommends to take a NAP! (I won't as I am working today ;))

Have a great day everyone!

I stepped on it! :o The scale! I did! I thought I would have enough willpower not to, but it's as hard to resist (almost) as the Sugar Dragon.

So I am taking my Scale Dragon down to work (that's my part-time once a week job) and put it in a place hard for me to sneak in and step on. Like I did last year!

I do not want to lose focus on WHY I am doing the Whole30 = develop and anchor healthy relationship and habits with the RIGHT food! not hunting for a number that I like better on my scale!

Bye!Bye Scale! :P

Boy, after getting a bit out of control over the holidays, I'm grateful for the structure of a W30! I tend to be very black/white about my eating, and I'm either eating like crazy or eating perfectly. I'd like to find some more gray areas as it relates to food. It gets exhausting going from one extreme to the other. That's why I intent to make this more of a 45 before reintro. My first W30 was in September, and when I let sugar back in, I went crazy. I'm not sure how I feel about saying "no more sugar EVER" but I have never been able to be reasonable about it. Anybody else have any thoughts/feelings/experience with working this out? Day 3 is progressing nicely. Better see to some breakfast before it gets too late.

Hi Everyone:

I was suppose to start yesterday 1/2/2016 ; but my mindset wasn't in the right place.

Trying it again today; 

Lots of irons in the fire......emotional issues (relationship), physical issues (achilles tendinitis since June 2015-under a MD's care), mental issues (stressors)......

I'll continue to follow the thread.....

Peace, Love and Happiness everyone....

Has anyone ever tried a warm salad? I just stumbled across this recipe, Warm Chicken Pear and Fennel Salad  Easily converted to Whole30 by using compliant Dijon mustard and balsamic vinegar, and leaving off the Gorgonzola. I think I can fit this into the new food category!

I LOVE me a warm salad from time to time - although, granted, usually when I eat out..... Definitely worth a try CQ!!

Boy, after getting a bit out of control over the holidays, I'm grateful for the structure of a W30! I tend to be very black/white about my eating, and I'm either eating like crazy or eating perfectly. I'd like to find some more gray areas as it relates to food. It gets exhausting going from one extreme to the other. That's why I intent to make this more of a 45 before reintro. My first W30 was in September, and when I let sugar back in, I went crazy. I'm not sure how I feel about saying "no more sugar EVER" but I have never been able to be reasonable about it. Anybody else have any thoughts/feelings/experience with working this out? Day 3 is progressing nicely. Better see to some breakfast before it gets too late.

Ultimately, it is your decision. Maybe a study of yourself and the WHY you are not sure about saying "no more sugar". Is it feeding your emotions? etc. For me, not only does it feed my emotions/stress, but also Candida and that is detrimental to my health. For me it comes down to a choice of sugar or health. I haven't conquered the sugar dragon yet, but I'm not giving up. A Whole100 last spring didn't do it, so looking at a Whole120, or more if needed, as well as the need to face myself and the screaming toddler within. I'm not giving up. Right now I am dealing with a psoriatic type rash on my face particularly around my eyes, on my jaw, and hairline. It is miserable. It is undecided if it is from candida overgrowth due to being on antibotics for 2 weeks back in Oct. following appendectomy(ruptured) or reaction to the flu shot that I got for the first time ever in Dec. All I know is I don't like it, I have had minor barely noticeable issues with it in the past and Whole30 eating cleared it up. That tells me that the foods in the no category are harmful to me and that I need to do my reintro in a whole different way from past reintro's. Thinking, one thing a month with whole 30 in between. Haven't hammered out the details exactly.

Archived