Join A 2016 Whole9 Challenge!

LucieB

Hey, gang...thanks for the mindful eating discussion. Before I found whole 30, I tried the whole lie challenge and the only part of the non-food challenge I could NOT do was mindful eating. I always do something else, even if it is reading the paper, etc. I do not live alone, but I would definitely struggle to sit there, by myself (even with two big German shepherds drooling at my feet) and not have the tv on, or something...

Let's lighten up a bit on ourselves, OK? The MAIN goal this month is eating whole 30 (or close to it for those who aren't doing a 30)....you can delight in the menu planning, or selecting the beautiful fresh produce at the market, or cleaning and prepping and cooking the food...but GEEZ, do we have to also then worshipfully chew each bite like it was that darned raisin??? (A good exercise, by the way). I guess I am too simpleminded to try too many tricks at once...or maybe I am just cranky today, day 3, and remembering all the delights of this point in the program: bloating and LOTS of time in the bathroom as my digestive track resets...who hooo!!!!

• Replies 580
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I spend way to many meals mindlessly eating. This is my 3rd Whole30 and I still haven't changed my eating habits as far as not focusing on other things when I eat. Sadly, too often it is hurry up and eat, but thinking about it, I remember doing that very thing when I was a child. Only then, it was hurry up and eat so I could go back outside and play. Now my hurry up and eat is due to 30+ years in healthcare, hurry up and eat because a patient needs me.

Tonight I fixed my "gumbo" for m3. All that okra talk had me wanting some. Didn't have any fresh to roast so I dug out my bag of frozen. Will be having the leftovers for m1 tomorrow!

So anyone have the headachy tired day 3? I did more on day 2. So far no hangry going on here, but there is still tomorrow!

For those not doing an official W30 for January, have you completed one in the past?

What are some of your plans to focus on nutrition this month?

My focus this month is on both nutrition and nourishment. I want my food to fuel my activities and I want to feel good. And I want to slowly continue to lose weight. (I’m continuing, happily, with slow-SLOW-roll reintroductions and feeling terrific.)

I also want my food to nourish me physically and emotionally. To satisfy me. That’s why I’m taking my time, introducing (auditioning) a food, eating on the template for two days, introducing a food, etc. I want to work out a WholeLiz eating plan which works for me and meets my goals.

This month I will be more mindful of two behaviors which are important to my nutrition and my nourishment: chewing my food (my acupuncturist keeps reminding me to do this) and drinking water. I’ve gotten good about the chewing (all those vegetables on my Whole30 helped a lot!) but I’m dismal at the water thing. I’m either teaching or working in my studio and . . . the next thing I know hours have gone by, and no water. (I’m going to test out a reminder app on my Apple Watch and I’ll report back.)

I’m finding that I enjoy eating and enjoy my meals and enjoy my food now that I’m less stressed (thank you, Whole30!) and also now that I have re-discovered satiety (thank you again, Whole30!). I am appreciating having fewer constraints and less rigidity post Whole30 and at the same time, I am being cautious about identifying both what I REALLY want and being mindful that “want” also includes feeling good.

A few months before my Whole30, I spent some time with a terrific book on emotional eating, Eating Mindfully: How to End Mindless Eating and Enjoy a Balanced Relationship with Food, by Susan Albers. I’m an emotional eater, and while that wasn’t the only reason for my weight gain and my lack of activity, it was a big factor.

I decided that I would NEVER again lose weight and gain it and lose weight and gain it and this book helped me with that decision. Not coincidentally, this book helped me come to a radical acceptance of my body, which in turn allowed me to increase my physical activity, which in turn led to private Pilates sessions and a water exercise class which in turn has increased my health and well being substantially. I can say that I "lost" all feelings of shame or embarrassment about my weight or my physical condition and began to rediscover the joy of movement.

I'll quote SOME of her mindful eating contract, from the chapter, Letting Go of Dieting

I agree to eat mindfully. I will eat with diligent thought from this point forward. 
- I agree to change my attitude toward eating completely, on a full-time basis. I understand that diets don’t work. 
- I agree to think about what I eat moment to moment. 
- I agree to consider each bite on multiple levels by taking into account the taste, texture, quality, bodily reaction, and sensations I experience when I eat. 
- I agree to eliminate my diet mentality. I will do this by rejecting dieting advice and books, and by becoming nonjudgmental of myself. 
- I agree to be nonjudgmental of other people’s eating habits, weight, and body shape. 
- I agree to have compassion for myself. 

There's more to the contract, and there are TONS of strategies in the book to help one reset one's relationship to food and to eating, for anyone who’s interested.

• Administrators

Something else about me: After I turned 50, I bought a motorcycle and learned to ride. I work for the Girl Scouts, and it was fun being the woman who rode her Harley to the Girl Scout office!

What do you ride, Nancy? I also love being the woman who shows up to work on her Harley. Being in a completely male dominated work environment, I love pulling up on my loud, black, Harley and having the guys all drool and get twitchy and jealous! haha!

Hi all!

I introduced myself early on in the thread, but now that the month is underway I thought I'd check back.  Currently on my second Whole30 (finish on the 14th) ... last complete one was a year ago (some smaller resets along the way).

Anyway ... 

A goal for this W30 (among others) is to focus on how nutrition relates to my whole body.  I know the usual suspects (weight gain, bloat, mood, etc) but I'm noticing changes - again - that I didn't completely believe were related to JUST nutrition.  

(I talked about this in another thread.)  I have a huge improvement in my knee pain.  It's a problem that has bugged me on/off for a long time.  I run so not unexpected and I can usually rest and fix the problem.  After completely going off the rails for over a month (eating, drinking), my knee problem was out of control.  Pain on stairs, bending over, etc and nothing relieved it.  Until I began the Whole30.

I've changed nothing ... EXCEPT MY DIET.  It really surprised me.  But, of course, it shouldn't have - I just didn't really notice or believe that connection before.

I'm watching for subtleties too.  I noticed improvements last time, but wondered if it was a bit in my head (you know, hear it so many times, you start to believe it).  But they are happening again.  Skin is smoother (I have rosacea), nails and hair are growing much faster, recovery from exercise is better.

I hope participating in the Whole9 forum will help me to remember these things when I'm looking at a bottle of wine and deciding if a glass or two really matters.

Hi Mindful Eaters,

I will confess that, I,too, prefer supper in front of the tv. And, I also confess, I'm a bit with mergthemag on this topic. While I have successfully completed a Whole 30 last summer, I off-roaded pretty much the rest of the year; for me, just rebooting into 100% compliant eating is where I have to begin. I am also taking on a regular exercise program, which is very good for me, but challenging on account of some health issues.

So, my plan is to make October my mindful eating month. I'll read the book that Artfossil recommend (sounds great), put all of my focus on that one (huge) improvement. I think by that time, the Challenge will have prepared me for it.

About drinking water: I do love really clean refreshing water--especially on hot days or after exercise, but I was a nightly wine drinker (or cocktail if out and about) before this new commitment to myself. I needed something a bit more exciting to drink. Well, back in the days when I lived in the East Bay near SF, I enjoyed a Sunday farmer's market followed by a yummy ginger cocktail at my local cafe.

Yesterday, I decided to mix pomegranate juice, blueberry juice and fresh ginger root in the food processor. Then strained through cheesecloth. At the end there is a slushy pink mixture. I put it in a squirt bottle to control portions. Last night (day 1 for me), I squirted a teaspoon or so into my bubbly water. So healthy and refreshing! And it's not SWYPO because it's entirely different from any other drink--but it's tasty and helps me stay fully hydrated. If you like ginger you might get the water down more easily.

Let me know if you try it and like it too...

Hey, gang...thanks for the mindful eating discussion. Before I found whole 30, I tried the whole lie challenge and the only part of the non-food challenge I could NOT do was mindful eating. I always do something else, even if it is reading the paper, etc. I do not live alone, but I would definitely struggle to sit there, by myself (even with two big German shepherds drooling at my feet) and not have the tv on, or something...

Let's lighten up a bit on ourselves, OK? The MAIN goal this month is eating whole 30 (or close to it for those who aren't doing a 30)....you can delight in the menu planning, or selecting the beautiful fresh produce at the market, or cleaning and prepping and cooking the food...but GEEZ, do we have to also then worshipfully chew each bite like it was that darned raisin??? (A good exercise, by the way). I guess I am too simpleminded to try too many tricks at once...or maybe I am just cranky today, day 3, and remembering all the delights of this point in the program: bloating and LOTS of time in the bathroom as my digestive track resets...who hooo!!!!

The raisin, oh lord the raisin... :D

I must confess, I also am doing something when I eat most of the time.  For myself, I actually eat slower and chew more if I'm reading than I do if I'm sitting at a table by myself.  And worse if dear husband is at the table, he's usually in a hurry and bolting through the plate like someone is about to grab it away. (Short meal breaks at busy worksites tend to do that to you).  The tv is a no go, that's where I run into mindless snacking and have been known to plow through an entire container of something without thinking about it.

• Administrators

Yesterday, I decided to mix pomegranate juice, blueberry juice and fresh ginger root in the food processor. Then strained through cheesecloth. At the end there is a slushy pink mixture. I put it in a squirt bottle to control portions. Last night (day 1 for me), I squirted a teaspoon or so into my bubbly water. So healthy and refreshing! And it's not SWYPO because it's entirely different from any other drink--but it's tasty and helps me stay fully hydrated. If you like ginger you might get the water down more easily.

Ya, you're right, this would not be a SWYPO, Whole30 often tells folks that they can put a splash of juice in their water to liven it up.  Your "juice" mixture is just heads above the rest, sounds so good!

Thank you for that input. You are dead on regarding too many tricks: One of the issues I am identifying for me is trying to introduce too many "good" habits all at once... which would set me up for failure and then a downward spiral of talking poorly to myself about it all. And wham! we know where that leads!

OK, forget about the raisin exercice. What'll do is to mindfully really sloooow doooown when I eat. It will be a big achievement if I can get to anchor that habit in my life.

• Administrators

Thank you for that input. You are dead on regarding too many tricks: One of the issues I am identifying for me is trying to introduce too many "good" habits all at once... which would set me up for failure and then a downward spiral of talking poorly to myself about it all. And wham! we know where that leads!

OK, forget about the raisin exercice. What'll do is to mindfully really sloooow doooown when I eat. It will be a big achievement if I can get to anchor that habit in my life.

My husband always tries to get me to slow down when we eat and one of his great suggestions was to eat with your opposite hand.  Works like a charm!

I agree with everyone on the mindful eating. For some it's too much at once or too much to worry about right now. I like putting it as a focus for a later month too. But as an experienced Whole30-er who is looking for "advanced" Whole30'ing, I'm taking it this extra step. I'm past the usual problems of what to eat for breakfast, how to handle emergencies, and don't expect to see detox, symptom alleviation, or weight loss. For me, eating too fast leads to my IBS symptoms of gut pain and bloating. Also if I overeat at night I sleep poorly and have anxiety issues.

Last night dinner was good, I stopped when I was satisfied and didn't rush it. Had ground beef mixed with a few egg yolks, added a homeblend curry spice, steamed zucchini and kale, olive oil. I distracted myself by talking to my dog. It kinda worked, I kept thinking about "where's my phone?".  Then instead of getting up to get more food (since I don't pay attention I don't know I'm already full => overeating) I worked on a sudoku puzzle. By the time that finished, I felt satiated. Just needed that 10 minutes of distraction :) 

Enjoying the discussion and differing viewpoints. Much to learn :) Keep bringing it! 

I'm happy enough with how I eat. I *do* tend to sit at a computer screen and catch up with the news, studies or whatever, but I make a point of *not* typing anything. On weekdays more often than not I am eating alone (I eat breakfast before I waken my kids, I work in an office on my own & prefer to spend my actual lunch time time out walking, and in the evenings my kids have already eaten with my parents by the time I get home) so to sit in silence would be a little odd/depressing.

That said I am always seated at a table, my food is always plated, I savour every tasty bite, and on the rare occasion it happens I've learned to stop when I've had enough - what can I say? I'm a fabulous cook!!  :P 

At weekends we make a point of always eating at the table as a family - no TV, & no screens of any kind, and we talk - mostly about conspiracy theories or minecraft mind you - but we talk nonetheless. The same rules apply if we eat out - no screens of any kind, conversation only. I think in this day and age of being surrounded by technology & social media that this is most definitely progress.

As I've mentioned before my focus this month is on reintroing high FODMAP foods and my mindfulness in that respect will be in paying attention to any symptoms arising from those foods, and in trying to determine how much is enough before pushing myself over the edge into digestive discomfort & bloat. And believe me, I suspect this will be harder than any raisin test!  :wacko:

My husband always tries to get me to slow down when we eat and one of his great suggestions was to eat with your opposite hand.  Works like a charm!

Ha! I'm ambidextrous so I could have a fork in each hand....!!  :P

Ha! I'm ambidextrous so I could have a fork in each hand....!!   :P

Thanks LadyShanny!  I'll try the other hand!

jmcbn... what about putting the fork down after each bite???

Also, for the ones among us who eat by their computer... I came across a couple of articles stating how DIRTY AND FULL OF GERMS OUR KEYBOARDS ARE! I'll let you guys research it... don't want to gross anybody out upfront... that might be another incentive to arrange for another setting...?

Bon appétit tout le monde  :rolleyes:

jmcbn... what about putting the fork down after each bite???

*Could* - I said could have a fork in each hand....  :D 

My 'no typing while eating' rule is a lot to do with those keyboard hygiene articles you've read - plus I sanitise my keyboard & phone regularly. That said, I've a stomach of steel & a constitution to match by the looks of it - the last time I was off work for anything other than annual leave was when my youngest son was born, and he'll be 10 next month!!

Also, for the ones among us who eat by their computer... I came across a couple of articles stating how DIRTY AND FULL OF GERMS OUR KEYBOARDS ARE! I'll let you guys research it... don't want to gross anybody out upfront... that might be another incentive to arrange for another setting...?

Nahh, it's just more diversity for your gut microbiota!

Yes, I want in...I started Sunday (yesterday)

I know I am late to the party but technical difficulties have prevented me from being able to post.  

This is my second W30 and i have to admit I didn't get the Tiger Blood or epiphany though for ONCE I was 100% compliant so at least that I am proud.  I travel excessively for work and went on a humanitarian mission to Nepal right after finishing the W30 so the rice/bread/lack of vegies/excess beans and legumes really undid EVERYTHING I had just worked for. (Whoever is doing EBC in the fall, cool.  I went back to work after the earthquake because of our 17 day EBC /3 passes trek there a few years ago.)

I am trying this again because I need a reset.  I have a mystery fatigue issue that comes and goes and since I have been doing detox/elimination diet type things sporadically, it has subsided so I think I need to keep picking away at it.  

I'm 48, mom to 2 really great/easy teens, wife, Int'l Airline Pilot, gym rat and really good at doing everything except sticking to a healthy eating plan as much as I need to for health and fitness.  Most people seem to have trouble working out....I have to reign it back because I will hurt myself.  I get the high from the gym even though I pay for it daily. 

I need the food/lifestyle makeover and I am hoping that 9 months of work will cement things in a bit better.  30 days did not.  The past two days I have again been amazed how much I think of food, want a reward, crave sweets after a meal, crave a glass of wine to wind down....I want to be free of the ties, no longer a slave to the sugar dragon.  I am better than that.  Tougher.  Cooler.  I need to start acting it.  Someone had a great quote that I am going to go back and find about this that really struck a cord.  Many things did reading through all of your posts.  I am happy I can still get in here as for awhile I did not believe I could join.   

I loved this group because I identified with so many of you.  "No fluff," no excuses, most of you have been here before and are ready for more so there won't be a ton of "this is so hard."  I found the first time crazily easy once I made up my mind to do it.  It really was only tough a few times, although travel sucks.

So, I am off to Minneapolis-Chicago-Hong Kong-Singapore-Hong Kong-Chicago-Minneapolis for a 6 day trip tomorrow at 4am.  I have some snacks packed to help with the odd hunger/cravings I am likely to get.  2 sets of workout clothes, lots to read instead of going out to eat....at least for now while I get back into this, and most importantly, the mindset that I NEED to be here again.  No expectations of anything, just make my way through the process and see what happens.  

Hi Flygrrl

I have never got the tigers blood either when on W30 which is a shame but it is a proper reset (even if you eat paleo) 

Really interested in hearing about your time in Nepal - I am going there in Nov 2016 (EBC) and was hoping eating paleo would not be a problem - maybe need a rethink and a stash of snacks !!

I get the being good at everything (or having to be good at everything) but the healthy eating plan - As I stated earlier my big challenge is eating 3 meals a day - I am OK at the healthy but probably do more protein and less veg than I should & eat too much on the run - having said that I did an AIP W30 last Apr / May and kicked a big nut habit 

Great to have you on board

Zoe

Oh man - if I let myself think about the germs on my keyboard and mouse I'd never be able to come to work again! I tend to go with kirkor's perspective. :) Or the ever popular "God made dirt, dirt won't hurt..."

Last night I got caught up in answering an email from a friend while I was eating dinner without even thinking about it - she texted me and said I had an email with a question and I just went right to it. It's amazing how quickly I can get distracted. A learning process for sure! (Also didn't eat dinner till 9pm. That's probably not good either.)

What do you ride, Nancy? I also love being the woman who shows up to work on her Harley. Being in a completely male dominated work environment, I love pulling up on my loud, black, Harley and having the guys all drool and get twitchy and jealous! haha!

Yup, that's awesome! I had :(  the most gorgeous Sporty, 1200XL, teal and silver, with black leather seat and bags with studs and conches, and chrome flame pegs and grips. And Vance & Hines pipes that just sang (really LOUDLY!). Not many men at the Girl Scout office, but it was a good lesson for the girls themselves that they really can do anything! Financial concerns made us part company. I still miss riding... Can you tell I'm still slightly obsessed?  :wub:

I'm glad to have this extended program! I'very done 2 w hOle 30s last year. January I'm doing what I'm calling "my" whole 30. From last year I learned I must stay gluten free but no gluten grains are okay. Likewise aged or fermented dairy kefir, cheese) are fine but never milk. Since my goal is to sustain this diet I may choose to use very limited amounts of these food. Thanks to whole 30 and reintroductions, I kniw what works and what doesn't now (soy alcohol legumes and sugar are off limits). My downfall over the holidays were alcohol sugar and wheat so am glad to get back to what works for me.

I'm similar. I have some kefir in the fridge to use up so will make a few exceptions. The things I have to stay away from are sugar in all forms and watch that I don't overdo nuts

Why is it that when you aren't allowed to have something, you sometimes want it more? I don't generally eat much cheese, a bit occasionally here and there but quite often I decline or don't bother but since starting this challenge every time I see cheese I want to eat it?! Fortunately though, sugar, my nemesis, isn't having the same pull. Been able to maintain my discipline with minimal effort so far.

• Administrators

Yup, that's awesome! I had :(  the most gorgeous Sporty, 1200XL, teal and silver, with black leather seat and bags with studs and conches, and chrome flame pegs and grips. And Vance & Hines pipes that just sang (really LOUDLY!). Not many men at the Girl Scout office, but it was a good lesson for the girls themselves that they really can do anything! Financial concerns made us part company. I still miss riding... Can you tell I'm still slightly obsessed?  :wub:

Oh, she sounded fancy! Sorry you don't have her anymore. :(.

So going to try this 

Just another quirk for mum - my kids think I get weirder and weirder every day - anyone else in the same boat

Speaking of weird things - will be going out on a training walk tonight - does anyone else go for walks with a rucksack full of bottles of water ? - the plan is to get up to 25kgs - hope the police dont stop & search me !!!  

Archived