Join A 2016 Whole9 Challenge!

LucieB

• Replies 580
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think I would postpone this particular dinner party. Maybe choose to dine with others who are more in alignment with my goals. But it was also good becuase it was very clear that my body was not happy with my choices. That was a first for me to see such a clear reaction. It will help me to stay focused I think.  began this ourney to lose weight and was successful but this brings the other benefits into focus. 

Hi there

Have been busy so just catching up 

Flygrrl 

- thank you so much for the Nepal up date - I have read it over and over and will be mindful of your recommendations

Meal planning

- I plan a week in advance which suits me as I have my main shop delivered and it allows for some flexibility re different meals which take my fancy - but I would batch cook for the kids (anything up to 15 meals at a time)

Dinner parties

- I tend to prefer having people to me - I can put together a meal with several elements and I can eat what suits me - which has worked well

Nuts

- I recognised during my AIP W30 that I could live just fine without nuts and finally came to the realisation that a handful of nuts was the equivalent of a whole tasty meal - but it only was a mouthful lasting a few minutes - I do still occasionally have a nut but i really try to stay clear from them

Coffee

- I love my coffee but like many of you I have been thinking it is not as good for me as I would like to think - I am currently on about 3-4 espressos a day - would like to get this down to 1-2    

Getting ahead of myself on my W9

- I used to be a compulsive runner (not always with the right motivation) but have finally broken the chronic cardio thing (I stopped running last Feb) - sadly I am much heavier BUT I have been enjoying exercise more - in the last year I have been doing a lot of weights and the penny has dropped that I needed more "Healthy Movement" (I know its Mays topic) - so I tried dynamic yoga - it was great - I don't generally do "fluffy" exercise but this was good - strong / challenging / no lying on the floor doing nothing - I think I am hooked

Oh and 1 last thing - I HATE 3 MEALS A DAY - it does not work for me 2 meals and a snack (mini meal) work just fine 

LOL

Z

- I used to be a compulsive runner (not always with the right motivation) but have finally broken the chronic cardio thing (I stopped running last Feb) - sadly I am much heavier BUT I have been enjoying exercise more - in the last year I have been doing a lot of weights and the penny has dropped that I needed more "Healthy Movement" (I know its Mays topic) - so I tried dynamic yoga - it was great - I don't generally do "fluffy" exercise but this was good - strong / challenging / no lying on the floor doing nothing - I think I am hooked

Oh and 1 last thing - I HATE 3 MEALS A DAY - it does not work for me 2 meals and a snack (mini meal) work just fine 

LOL

Z

Hi Zoe!

I just finished another post ... tomorrow is my last day on this Whole30 so I'm finishing up with another thread ... but next stop is Whole9.  I also changed up my order for Whole9 and am incorporating fitness/yoga as my February goal.  I run, but I am injured and hurting so much lately from running I need to cross-train.  Yoga seems to fit the bill.

I have a studio identified for private classed initially (I'm going to really suck at this - so so inflexible!! - so private seemed better).  But dynamic yoga was not even on my radar - but that sounds really awesome!!  Glad I just saw your post  :)

WholeChristina

My yoga was so stretchy I felt nerves ping & tingle in me that I didn't know i had

I am naturally quite bendy so I need the discipline of stretching to ensure I don't get trapped nerves and pain when I do repetitive exercise

If your injury is a stuck nerve it is definitely worth trying 

Z

Hi there

Have been busy so just catching up 

Flygrrl 

- thank you so much for the Nepal up date - I have read it over and over and will be mindful of your recommendations

Meal planning

- I plan a week in advance which suits me as I have my main shop delivered and it allows for some flexibility re different meals which take my fancy - but I would batch cook for the kids (anything up to 15 meals at a time)

Dinner parties

- I tend to prefer having people to me - I can put together a meal with several elements and I can eat what suits me - which has worked well

Nuts

- I recognised during my AIP W30 that I could live just fine without nuts and finally came to the realisation that a handful of nuts was the equivalent of a whole tasty meal - but it only was a mouthful lasting a few minutes - I do still occasionally have a nut but i really try to stay clear from them

Coffee

- I love my coffee but like many of you I have been thinking it is not as good for me as I would like to think - I am currently on about 3-4 espressos a day - would like to get this down to 1-2    

LOL

Z

Ok Zoe, I had my suspicions but now I am quite certain that we were identical twins separated at birth.  

I also gave up my compulsive running two years ago last fall due to a back/glute injury that just would not heal.  Finally someone MUCH smarter than me said something to the effect of "hey dummy, maybe try not beating yourself up so much and let it heal."  It was a tough pill to swallow but I finally realized that running was NOT giving me the body I wanted anyway so why keep pounding away at it.  I am much more suited to lifting, my body has responded tremendously and I enjoy it way more.  

Its funny because in a moment of crazy thought yesterday I signed myself up for a Yoga class package.  I live 12 miles from any town plus my schedule generally does not allow me to "do" an "every Thursday at 9 am" class but I am looking at being on vacation here and I just did it.  I have done a little Yoga before after thinking it was "fluffy" and got my A$$ handed to me so I am under no delusion that this will be a day off from working out.  Glad to see I am not alone in my thinking.   

I admit I don't do 3 meals a day either.  I feel great, I think I have Tiger blood because I have recovered from my 6 day Asian odyssey WAY faster than normal and my cravings are d-u-n DONE!  Even for wine.  I think the second time was the charm.  I am just not hungry and I have spent so many years trying the "eat every two hours to keep your metabolism up" and "you HAVE to eat breakfast" and this and that and blah blah and I have decided that if I am NOT hungry, I am NOT going to eat.  BAM thats it.  The last two days have been one meal and a snack and I have been fully ready to wake up starving and eat if I need to or eat 5 meals a day if it seems to catch up to me but so far I feel FANTASTIC.  And that is not normal for me.   But I am hoping it is the NEW normal.  

Cheers

Hi Flygrrl 

I must be your evil other twin !!!

I gave up my running because I simply couldn't do it any more - emotionally and physically (I was running a marathon a week just to keep "thin")

So hope you enjoy your yoga as much as I enjoyed mine

I actually don't mind hunger even going to bed hungry - as I know the next meal will be yum - my thing I have to be mindful of is boredom - this is probably why I reach for a coffee

Must admit my apatite is down at the moment but I am feeling generally fine

Only thing I have been wanting is salt - I don't mind salting my food as I sauna after my gym sessions so probably sweat a good bit out

Bye

I am re-setting at day One.I made a lot of terrible choices. But I am not beating myself up. Just crawl back. 

I have been reading everyones posts and find you all very inspiring.  I have been down this road before and I know I can get back up on the horse. I hade a dinner party with friends and that threw me off the horse big time and I felt like crap the next day, so I am back with new determination. 

This morning I made my mayo and made some ghee. I made and omelette for breakfast with gound beef and jalapeños and spinach, and for lunch I had tuna and mayo and lettuce and tomato with a few grapes. I feel better already. I don't drink alcohol -thirty one years sober- but I had a sugar hang-over yesterday for sure. I will spare you the details. 

I especially am learning that I am no good at moderation. I just need to stay on the path. 

So keep on keepin on.I appreciate you!

Hi Marthab.  I'm glad you are here.  

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that we've all been there, however I have not been so adult as to not beat myself up horribly for letting myself down so good for you!.  

I really get the moderation thing.  I am definitely a BLACK/WHITE, ON/OFF person and when I read the quote that 99% is hard but 100% is easy, it was if I were in a large dark stadium and suddenly someone flipped all the flood lights on at once.  It suddenly made so much sense.

Since then, I have been calling it my "time traveling".   Imagining that I had eaten something, really gone through the thought process of  consuming it then analyzing my feelings about it.  Most of the time I was so PO'ed that I actually felt GUILTY for something I didn't even eat!!!  That's how powerful it was to do!

It was especially helpful after a slip up where I had promised my self that "definitely, for sure, absolutely, no excuses this time I am DOING THIS".....and then I blew it because I went mindless on myself and wasn't planning, thinking, caring, or just plane being mindful.  I have come to the conclusion that that is the answer.  Mindfullness.  Driving.   Being in charge (which I most definitely am in every other aspect of my life so why not this?)  

Now I project myself ahead when I have something like a dinner party or night out or travel or whatever.  Others call it planning.  I just imagine and walk through it, get my mind set, make my excuses/explanations/reasons at the ready and then I find I can concentrate on the event and not fret over having to make decisions because I have already made them.   Maybe I have a warped imagination but it works for me.

I have a philosophy that everything is finite.  Nothing will last forever.  It was what got me through labor, twice, really tough workouts, long trips that I don't want to be on, mountain climbs, difficult projects and yes, the occasional holiday or dinner party.  Before I know it it will be over and if I can just spend a few minutes being mindful and thinking how I will feel after, it drives the experience in a much better direction that is in CONTROL.

I'd wish you luck but I'm sure you know that its not luck.  

Ciao

Hi Flygrrl 

I must be your evil other twin !!!

I gave up my running because I simply couldn't do it any more - emotionally and physically (I was running a marathon a week just to keep "thin")

So hope you enjoy your yoga as much as I enjoyed mine

I actually don't mind hunger even going to bed hungry - as I know the next meal will be yum - my thing I have to be mindful of is boredom - this is probably why I reach for a coffee

Must admit my apatite is down at the moment but I am feeling generally fine

Only thing I have been wanting is salt - I don't mind salting my food as I sauna after my gym sessions so probably sweat a good bit out

Bye

Ugh your an animal, not evil.  My thing was triathlons inter dispersed with halfs and I too had a whacko schedule one summer that I am sure I am still recovering from and for WHAT?  I wasn't thin because I was eating because I "deserved it."  

I'll let you know how yoga went. Hopefully its not from the clinic or the physical therapists office :)   I start tomorrow. 

I bought myself an infrared sauna for Christmas/BIrthday/Anniversary (and probably a few more holidays as I kinda splurged) and I LOVE LOVE LOVE it.  Yes sweet sweat. The first couple times I used it I was so "hungover."  I was so toxic that I felt like crap.  

And yes a little hunger feels good.  Connects me to how lucky I am to have a really good life.  Gratefulness.  

Have a super day.

M2 today, Pan fried ocean perch cajun style adapted from a recipe on line. Note to self, Cajun seasoning and dijon mustard do not go together just because some one posted a recipe of it doesn't mean it's good. Ate it anyway... Also had Balsamic Roasted Asparagus with Cara Cara Oranges. Subbed the steak seasoning with some rosemary and thyme. Good, but needed something, maybe just more rosemary.

girl-drinking-bottled-water.jpg

How's everyone doing on hydration?

Going for 1/2 ounce per pound of bodyweight per Whole30 recommendations? Anyone in the gallon a day club?

What are your strategies: XX amount by XX time of day? Refill a particular water bottle XX times? Have different water bottles and make sure they're all empty by end of day?

girl-drinking-bottled-water.jpg

How's everyone doing on hydration?

Going for 1/2 ounce per pound of bodyweight per Whole30 recommendations? Anyone in the gallon a day club?

What are your strategies: XX amount by XX time of day? Refill a particular water bottle XX times? Have different water bottles and make sure they're all empty by end of day?

(Slinks off guiltily to find water bottle.)

Ack! My hydration has been bad this week. Thanks for the reminder. Gulping now.

I'm seeing a trend on the thread here to underfeeding and overexercising, as compared to the Whole30 recommendations at least. I'd just like to note that it's entirely possible to do a literally compliant Whole30 by eating only compliant foods in any combination, of course. But there are some additional recommendations that include eating three meals (or working toward that goal), and adding mindfulness to eating as a way to add mindfulness to all of life including exercising. These recommendations are there because so many of us have spent our lives being told that it's somehow virtuous to feel hungry, just a bit hungry most of the time and pretty hungry sometimes. This is especially troubling for women, who are generally asked in society to be invisible unless we're visible in specific ways (very young, very white, very thin, very powerless and adoring of older men in power).

I'm pointing this out because I'd like to position myself on the thread as the old lady who says, every time she sees you, "You look thin! Have you eaten enough lately?" I'll be the one standing next to Kirkor, who will be handing out the gallon jugs of water; I'll be the one with a big plate of sweet potatoes, roasted kale, and steak. And forks, of course. Napkins, 'cause I'm a mom.

Which, come to think of it, is not far off from what I ate this morning! Ha! Now to slurp down another tot of water - my personal nemesis, ack!

I'm finishing my Whole30 on Saturday, then two days off, then back to Whole30 eating. My plan for 2016 then, is to eat Whole30 during the month unless I'm traveling (just once in the year so far); and the last day/first day of the month take off. I'm also taking dance classes and doing more with general fitness, and working hard on my singing. Training for a big audition one year from now. My plan is to go into it with the role memorized and ready to go. Woot!

Anybody need seconds? Now remember to floss when you go brush your teeth.

• Administrators

Plant Nanny!!!!!!!  It's an app.  :)

Hi Marthab.  I'm glad you are here.  

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that we've all been there, however I have not been so adult as to not beat myself up horribly for letting myself down so good for you!.  

I really get the moderation thing.  I am definitely a BLACK/WHITE, ON/OFF person and when I read the quote that 99% is hard but 100% is easy, it was if I were in a large dark stadium and suddenly someone flipped all the flood lights on at once.  It suddenly made so much sense.

Since then, I have been calling it my "time traveling".   Imagining that I had eaten something, really gone through the thought process of  consuming it then analyzing my feelings about it.  Most of the time I was so PO'ed that I actually felt GUILTY for something I didn't even eat!!!  That's how powerful it was to do!

It was especially helpful after a slip up where I had promised my self that "definitely, for sure, absolutely, no excuses this time I am DOING THIS".....and then I blew it because I went mindless on myself and wasn't planning, thinking, caring, or just plane being mindful.  I have come to the conclusion that that is the answer.  Mindfullness.  Driving.   Being in charge (which I most definitely am in every other aspect of my life so why not this?)  

Now I project myself ahead when I have something like a dinner party or night out or travel or whatever.  Others call it planning.  I just imagine and walk through it, get my mind set, make my excuses/explanations/reasons at the ready and then I find I can concentrate on the event and not fret over having to make decisions because I have already made them.   Maybe I have a warped imagination but it works for me.

I have a philosophy that everything is finite.  Nothing will last forever.  It was what got me through labor, twice, really tough workouts, long trips that I don't want to be on, mountain climbs, difficult projects and yes, the occasional holiday or dinner party.  Before I know it it will be over and if I can just spend a few minutes being mindful and thinking how I will feel after, it drives the experience in a much better direction that is in CONTROL.

I'd wish you luck but I'm sure you know that its not luck.  

Ciao

thanks for the encouragement! I am still here day two is almost done. 

My water has been pretty good. I try to keep a couple (reusable) bottles in my car for my long commute ... which sometimes makes it feel longer when there's not a nearby bathroom, lol. But sacrifice for hydration, my friends.

I just discovered crock pot cooking. Game change. I am all over the place raving about it. I am going to crock pot all the things from now on, wow is that a time saver!! I can do things with all this extra time not spent making dinner, like actually getting caught up in the Whole30 forum  ;)

Was great catching up on posts this morning!

Eating 3 HUGE meals a day and feeling amazing. Remembering how great I felt during my first W30. The change isn't as drastic since I eat pretty close to this every day anyways but just knowing I am on W30 makes any non-compliant choices null and void, which I love. I have been trying to up my fat this time around to see if it will help with some lady issues and, I am happy to report, that it has! I don't know if it's this round of W30 or the culmination of almost a year of eating real food but I am so thankful.

As far as the water goes, I fill up a 32 oz water bottle about 3 times a day. When I am at work I have no problem doing this. It's when I am off and out and about that I need to be more mindful of my water consumption. Thanks for bringing up the topic, kirkor! And, AmyS, thank you so much for yours as well. I think it's important for people who are doing their first round to know the importance of the 3 meals a day.

Have a great day everyone!   

Ack! My hydration has been bad this week. Thanks for the reminder. Gulping now.

I'm seeing a trend on the thread here to underfeeding and overexercising, as compared to the Whole30 recommendations at least. I'd just like to note that it's entirely possible to do a literally compliant Whole30 by eating only compliant foods in any combination, of course. But there are some additional recommendations that include eating three meals (or working toward that goal), and adding mindfulness to eating as a way to add mindfulness to all of life including exercising. These recommendations are there because so many of us have spent our lives being told that it's somehow virtuous to feel hungry, just a bit hungry most of the time and pretty hungry sometimes. This is especially troubling for women, who are generally asked in society to be invisible unless we're visible in specific ways (very young, very white, very thin, very powerless and adoring of older men in power).

I'm pointing this out because I'd like to position myself on the thread as the old lady who says, every time she sees you, "You look thin! Have you eaten enough lately?" I'll be the one standing next to Kirkor, who will be handing out the gallon jugs of water; I'll be the one with a big plate of sweet potatoes, roasted kale, and steak. And forks, of course. Napkins, 'cause I'm a mom.

Which, come to think of it, is not far off from what I ate this morning! Ha! Now to slurp down another tot of water - my personal nemesis, ack!

I'm finishing my Whole30 on Saturday, then two days off, then back to Whole30 eating. My plan for 2016 then, is to eat Whole30 during the month unless I'm traveling (just once in the year so far); and the last day/first day of the month take off. I'm also taking dance classes and doing more with general fitness, and working hard on my singing. Training for a big audition one year from now. My plan is to go into it with the role memorized and ready to go. Woot!

Anybody need seconds? Now remember to floss when you go brush your teeth.

Thank you AmyS,

I assume you are speaking of me and I appreciate your concern because that's how the light bulb gets turned on sometimes and I don't want to discourage that.  

I understand the constraints of this program,  I understand the logic behind it and the lessons it is trying to teach.  I also know that as a 48 (almost 49) year old woman who has followed every other program and done things that did not seem right or natural or helpful that I am not going to eat if I am not hungry.  Done that.  Or to eat something I do not want/crave/need just because its a time dictated by a clock or program.  That seems crazy.   I believe this program is about finding what works for each individual and that is why I see this as so personal and I am so glad that people are sharing each and every up, down, struggle and success along the way.  

I totally believe that we are all different and have different needs physically and right now I am off work, puttering around the house, in total winter hibernation mode and I am just not hungry.  I'm not bragging, i'm just sharing.    And I personally would MUCH rather generally feel a little hunger than have that full feeling that makes me wonder if I ate too much or too fast or not mindfully enough.  I spent a lot of years overeating "good healthy" to a bad end, also.  It is certainly not about relishing in being hungry but it does remind me of how lucky I am to live in a country where food is so plentiful and fast and that encourages me to make the better choices for my body.  

This is my second round.  I forced 3 meals a day the first one and I was exhausted, hungry most of the time and never got the tiger blood.  Why the massive difference between that experience and this one I can not explain but having a choice between the two, there's no question.  I feel like I can not remember when.  Amazing and full of energy.    

Yes, I too am a recovering over trainer.  Sounds like there are a few of us here and it's as much of a physical cycle to break as a mental one.  I get the "high" very quickly and it can be destructive and has been in the past.  I, for one, have made great strides in finding a movement routine that doesn't break my body down, fills my emotional bank and is sustainable.  It's also finite and that is the most important thing.  I know myself well enough that I can not go into a gym open ended without a plan so a very detailed plan works for me.  But I also find it helpful to talk about the past and hear that others have struggled with the same thing and that I'm not crazy or alone.  I have said before that I find that incredibly comforting.     

I hope we all here can continue sharing things that apply or have applied to our personal lives with the hopes of learning insights and  making connections.  It feels very comfortable and safe to know there is a place for that and the only thing better would to be sitting around a big coffee table face to face and that's how I picture it.  

\

My Yoga class got cancelled :(  I live too rurally to drum up enough people apparently so I am going to get my xc skis down and go for a ski.  Too bad, I could have used the community and socialization.  

And I would never be accused of being invisible.  Quite the contrary :)))))

Have a spectacular day 

Ciao

Thank you to whoever turned me on to the MelJoulwan (spelling?) sight.  

Wow.  I made the gyoza meatballs last night with some sauteed brussel sprouts and some rice noodles for the kids and hubby.  YUMMMM  

I am home now for awhile so I planned out some meals, drove 25 miles to the grocery store and stocked up on lots of good stuff for the crock pot which I love in the winter.  I can't believe how much the grocery bill goes down when you are not buying garbage.  

Water?  Enough to be going to the bathroom more than once an hour, unfortunately.  And that's WITH the daily workout and sauna.  Ugh.  

I am just realizing that I am just going through the motions.  I am eating compliant food and most of the time, it is just the 3 meals a day.  However, the problems that have come to my attention are I am not drinking enough water, I am not eating mindfully, and I am eating too much extra at evening meals.  Today, starts Day 1 of working on overcoming each of these issues.

I want to add to the conversation on "riding our own bikes." I do think it's terribly important to do one W30 taking care to follow the rules and suggestions as closely as possible. I say this because doing that last year changed my entire perspective on food, wellness, self-care, and even self-love. I learned a tremendous amount about my body. Right here I need to say a couple of things about myself: I am extremely well educated, including about nutrition, food and wellness. I have 3 advanced degrees and grew up through every food fad in the last 50 years (I was a young adult when Atkins, aerobics and Sonny and Cher hit the scene). I have experimented over the years with a variety of "diets." So, I was a tad sceptical that I would actually learn much that was new about me or health or really anything else. I was intrigued with the W30 because I have developed allergies I never had when I was younger.

So. I also think, once one has really done a true W30, the underlying premise of the plan is self-discovery and responsibility. For me, I feel that I may learn new insights by sticking to the Whole 30 as written for a second time. I say this because everything was pretty intense the first time, so it's quite likely that I missed some self-awareness I might enjoy with some experience under my belt. I do see that happening, so I'm glad I'm doing it.

On the other hand, I doubt I will do another "official" W30 again--at least not this year--because I am deeply committed to the Whole 9. I will use February to very thoughtfully make decisions about my foreseeable future eating. I'm grateful to Amy for reminding us about the eating plan, and to flygirl for reminding us that we do need to eventually take responsibility for our choices--that's what we are striving for, after all.

HI AmyS

Trend of undereating and overexercising - HA !! - living the way I do now with 2 meals & a snack + fluffy exercising rather than marathon running - I am overeating and underexercising - I think it has been pointed out before - the W30 is a journey - we have all started in different places and will end up in different places - the point is to get to what works for you to have a long term and sustainable healthy lifestyle & to be at peace with yourself

I get the rules stuff & the having someone help you along the way - but we are all facing and wrestling with our own W9 demons - I agree the fact that we are on this forum and sharing openly is good - it shows we care about ourselves and want to get to a better place - RANT OVER

I'm an "old lady" and mum too - so wet wipes & food reserves will always be at the ready !!

• Administrators

Yessss crock pots are my spirit animal!

I use it allll the time. (Although part of me is secretly waiting for it to break so I can see what the deal is with the Insta-Pots)

Maybe it has an accident with a hammer or falls from a high spot?

Archived