Join A 2016 Whole9 Challenge!

LucieB

Hi everyone,  I am snowed in here in beautiful downtown Frederick, Maryland.  There is to be a big community wide snowball fight at noon in our city park, but I'm not sure it would be a good idea in the blizzard conditions.  At least, not by myself!  It may be adventure enough to shovel my front steps and sidewalk, with nearly 20" of snow on the ground.  It's very pretty, though, and encourages solitude and all-out geeking on your Whole45/Whole9 plans.  :)

I am on day 22 and following the Whole 30 AIP with the exception of eating eggs.  It's AMAZING!  I cut out the nuts and the nightshades and boom!  When I look in the mirror now to eye-ball the relative lessening of muffin-top and overhang, suddenly I'm squinting to even discern it at all.  It is kind of emotional, a feeling of "oh, There You Are, woman, so nice to see you after all this time.  I didn't know that I would ever see you again!" I want to give myself an emotional, teary-eyed hug. 

I want to record this moment, so that I will never forget, and never fall back into the trap of treating myself to nuts and nut butters and eating spicy foods and goose-fat frites.  I did that because it made me feel less deprived, me the "girl in the bubble" who doesn't eat gluten or dairy because it's not worth it, me the girl who insists on dining only in places where things are fresh, local, and organic, me the inflamed pariah who was just trying to camouflage herself and fit in.  

I started back to physical therapy at the start of this Whole 45, and now I'm walking around feeling space and expansion in my body; feeling happy in movement, and looking at the opening at the end of the tunnel, not just the light.  I am so glad that the Whole9 path is going to pick up where the tunnel leaves off.

#snowboundponderings

• Replies 580
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi everyone,  I am snowed in here in beautiful downtown Frederick, Maryland.  There is to be a big community wide snowball fight at noon in our city park, but I'm not sure it would be a good idea in the blizzard conditions.  At least, not by myself!  It may be adventure enough to shovel my front steps and sidewalk, with nearly 20" of snow on the ground.  It's very pretty, though, and encourages solitude and all-out geeking on your Whole45/Whole9 plans.  :)

I am on day 22 and following the Whole 30 AIP with the exception of eating eggs.  It's AMAZING!  I cut out the nuts and the nightshades and boom!  When I look in the mirror now to eye-ball the relative lessening of muffin-top and overhang, suddenly I'm squinting to even discern it at all.  It is kind of emotional, a feeling of "oh, There You Are, woman, so nice to see you after all this time.  I didn't know that I would ever see you again!" I want to give myself an emotional, teary-eyed hug. 

I want to record this moment, so that I will never forget, and never fall back into the trap of treating myself to nuts and nut butters and eating spicy foods and goose-fat frites.  I did that because it made me feel less deprived, me the "girl in the bubble" who doesn't eat gluten or dairy because it's not worth it, me the girl who insists on dining only in places where things are fresh, local, and organic, me the inflamed pariah who was just trying to camouflage herself and fit in.  

I started back to physical therapy at the start of this Whole 45, and now I'm walking around feeling space and expansion in my body; feeling happy in movement, and looking at the opening at the end of the tunnel, not just the light.  I am so glad that the Whole9 path is going to pick up where the tunnel leaves off.

#snowboundponderings

Love your post, Melimuse and your finding joy in movement and clarity. Fits right in with "nutrition" as total nourishment, mind and body.

Did anyone see Dallas Hartwigs post on FB? Spot on for this Whole9 challenge.  Basically, apply Whole30's concepts to other aspects of your life. Don't think your mood is related to sleep. Try going to bed an hour earlier for a month and ask your co-workers if they've noticed a difference, etc...

Did anyone see Dallas Hartwigs post on FB? Spot on for this Whole9 challenge.  Basically, apply Whole30's concepts to other aspects of your life. Don't think your mood is related to sleep. Try going to bed an hour earlier for a month and ask your co-workers if they've noticed a difference, etc...

The vast majority of people completely under-estimate just how important sleep is.....

My sleeping is improving excruciatingly slowly, but it *is* improving. I wish it would happen faster, but at least I am getting there. :).

Doing yoga, I have discovered the joy of savasana. Now when I can't sleep I get in corpse pose and lose the pillow. After awhile, I drift off. Yay, yoga!

I love my sleep too!  I'm a good sleeper and have always needed 8+ hours a night to feel my best (and it gets even better on Whole30).  Took years to be comfortable telling people.  There is some strange need to brag about how little sleep someone gets ... 

Melimuse - I love the yoga victory.  I'm excited to start in February.  Hope I don't have my exceptions set too high!

I've been craving sweets last couple of days.  Not the quick thought of something sweet that passes with distraction, but the emotional ... I want to feed my face kind.  What lead me to this Whole30 was some very poor choices and emotional eating after the passing of two friends.  I have another friend who had unexpected news recently and is now near hospice care.  I'm flying to spend a week with her as she tries a last effort for treatment (her family needs help).  I booked my flight for end of February and ever since I have been a mess.  There is part of me worried she won't live long enough to see her and part of me worried about spending a whole week with a dying friend.  I'm a nurse but it is so different when it's personal.

Anyway, interesting how that feeling came right back.  I hope being aware of where the feelings are coming from will help.   But good lord ... vanilla cupcakes will not leave my head!!   Happy hubby is having a "health moment" and there are no temptations in the house.

So sorry to hear your friend is so unwell WholeChristina - it's understandable that you'd be craving sweet things under the circumstances because your brain knows that the sugary carbs increase seratoninlevels & release dopamine which will make you (briefly) feel better but which will begin a cycle of craving & crashing... In this case it's actually more of a physical urge than a craving and my best advice is to increase your fat intake. Fat will provide that same dopamine response, but with a sustained relase of energy & satiety that will keep your blood sugar/insulin levels stable & make you less likely to crave.

I hope your friend lives long enough for you to make some new memories with her...

So sorry to hear your friend is so unwell WholeChristina - it's understandable that you'd be craving sweet things under the circumstances because your brain knows that the sugary carbs increase seratoninlevels & release dopamine which will make you (briefly) feel better but which will begin a cycle of craving & crashing... In this case it's actually more of a physical urge than a craving and my best advice is to increase your fat intake. Fat will provide that same dopamine response, but with a sustained relase of energy & satiety that will keep your blood sugar/insulin levels stable & make you less likely to crave.

I hope your friend lives long enough for you to make some new memories with her...

Thank you.  I'll give that a try.  I probably fall a little short on the fat many days anyway.  

@wholeChristina, I am sorry for your grief and loss. I lost my grandmother a few years ago, driving over a day to see her. The hospice folks knew

I was coming and helped her to wait for me. It was an amazing, beautiful sacrement that I will never forget. I didn't have time to shop and pack good food, but I did scoop all my essential oils into my bag to take with me. Forever, the scent of Frankincense evokes her beautiful spirit, now. Also, scents of lemon, peppermint and lavendar mixed together are very sweet and dispel headaches, and perhaps vanilla with a touch of cinnamon, orange and clove would be enough to bring on your much needed serotonin. Or you could eat extra sweet potatoes, just for now, with ghee and cinnamon?

Hang in there! You will have the reserves you need to help your friend with this time. Take care!

WholeChristina -- thinking of you and your friend. Take care of yourself with good choices, support, and your strength. 

---------------------

More new words from the discussion -- savasana, Portakali, and kokoretsi. Love this!

Quick poll from participants -- Start a new thread for each month, or keep adding to this one as the 9 months go by? February is Personal Growth and Reintroductions. I'll pluck out the weblinks for those in a few days so we can start reviewing.

The Whole30 Nutrition challenge for January is ending soon, looking forward to hearing how it went for the group :)

I had a rough weekend, was "eating my emotions" over some stress. I recognized it, but didn't deal with it until after I was feeling sick. Which led to more emotions, more stress....ugh. Otherwise doing good, planning my goals for February!

Quick poll from participants -- Start a new thread for each month, or keep adding to this one as the 9 months go by? February is Personal Growth and Reintroductions. I'll pluck out the weblinks for those in a few days so we can start reviewing.

I would prefer a new thread each month. I way for me to commit again to this great and inspiring group!

I vote to keep this thread going - it's a Whole9 Challenge which merely has a different focus each month, but this thread, to me, should reflect 'the Whole9 yards' so to speak...

Anyone looking to refocus at the start of each month can just post their new goals.

With everyone else on keeping this thread. Thanks!

Also, made this last night and it was awesome!

http://meljoulwan.com/2009/02/11/south-indian-curry/

I'm totally in the mode of having a bunch of protein prepped at the beginning of the week and then adding different sauces and veggies to it to keep it interesting.

Can't believe the month is almost over! Have a great week everyone.  :D

Tried my hand at making the Portakali sauce Wednesday.(Kaldi brand Portakali: ingredients: Tomatoes, onion, red wine, orange zest, black olives, blood orange puree, EVOO, ginger, parsley, pepper, sea salt). It is the most awesome tasting sauce when bike riding, but the red wine makes it non-compliant.  $8 for a 16 oz jar makes me cry. BAM! It may not have been an exact duplication as I had no recipe, just ingredients list. However, It was EXCELLENT! Didn't need red wine. Fire roasted tomatoes gave it a nice touch. I cooked up a lb of ground beef. Then I threw in chopped onion, 28 oz can of fire roasted tomatoes, 3.8 oz dry wt can of Lindsay sliced black olives(drained), the juice and some pulp from 3 blood oranges, coconut oil in place of EVOO(used it to cook up the beef), grated about a 2 inch piece of fresh ginger, about a tbsp of dry parsley, sea salt and pepper. let it simmer for a while til I couldn't wait to it any longer. Julienned some zucchini like angel hair pasta and poured the sauce over them raw. Sigh, Had leftovers for lunch at work Thur. with broccoli instead of the zucchini. Have about 2 cups of sauce left. Thinking about some kind of egg dish with it for M1 tomorrow.

Funnily enough the Greek word for orange is PORTOKALI - so I'm assuming this is where the sauce gets it's name from  B)

Just wanted to say that the Moroccan Beef Heart Stew turned out to be AMAZING - there was such a good blend of hot, spicy & sweet and since I used the excess juices to then slow roast a whole chicken the house smelled divine... Using the crock pot was defiitely the way to go here as the apricots really reduced down & created a nice sauce that was perfect for soaking my veg in  :wub: 

I think I'll buy beef liver this week - just so as I can try onions in my FODMAP trial.............

I vote to keep this thread going - it's a Whole9 Challenge which merely has a different focus each month, but this thread, to me, should reflect 'the Whole9 yards' so to speak...

Anyone looking to refocus at the start of each month can just post their new goals.

All right... I'll post new goals every month!

Thanks

jmcbn -- I picked up my beef heart last night, it's marinating right now for the Moroccan recipe! I also got 1 lb of liver, haven't decided what to do with it yet. Thinking the Well Fed liver pate. And I haven't eaten apricots since going low FODMAP, so they are my challenge food this week. 

Same thread it is. Harder to navigate but impressive to see sooooo many pages of ideas, recipes, progress, and insights. 

jmcbn -- I picked up my beef heart last night, it's marinating right now for the Moroccan recipe! I also got 1 lb of liver, haven't decided what to do with it yet. Thinking the Well Fed liver pate. And I haven't eaten apricots since going low FODMAP, so they are my challenge food this week. 

Same thread it is. Harder to navigate but impressive to see sooooo many pages of ideas, recipes, progress, and insights. 

Yeah, I picked out anything on my plate that hadn't reduced down to keep them to a minimum. Hope you enjoy it!

For those of you who eat pate - any favorite ways to eat it? I've only ever seen it served with toast, and found a yummy-looking recipe I'd like to try, but not sure of the most delicious way to go about it!

I'd just eat it with a spoon!

Or with raw veggies: cucumbers, bell pepper, etc.

Archived