Join A 2016 Whole9 Challenge!

LucieB

Love liver have it at least twice a week - super cheap - I flash fry with cayenne and slap a fried egg on top of mine with loads of leaves

Do kidney at least once a week as well - I treat it like a steak 

Jmcbn  - did you feed the beef heart to the kids - if so were they ok with it ?

Big meat weekend coming up 

Sat - feeding the meat eating / blood thirsty babes - beef vindaloo - beef shins (slow cooked) loads of marrow - they love marrow

Sun - feeding the bone gnawing cave boys - lamb shanks (slow cooked) - they love bones and taking apart joints 

Also plan a big pot of spag bol sauce for my ever growing babes - hopefully I will get at least 13-15 meals done

Happy days !!

• Replies 580
  • Created
  • Last Reply

jmcbn -- I picked up my beef heart last night, it's marinating right now for the Moroccan recipe! I also got 1 lb of liver, haven't decided what to do with it yet. Thinking the Well Fed liver pate. And I haven't eaten apricots since going low FODMAP, so they are my challenge food this week. 

Same thread it is. Harder to navigate but impressive to see sooooo many pages of ideas, recipes, progress, and insights. 

I think Well fed also has a fried liver recipe with lemon and parsley. It is to die for! Warning: It was a no brakes food for me...so good!

This sounds great! I'm doing my first Whole30 now and want to continue the magic. I will be doing reintroduction in Feb and this will fit so perfectly. 

About me

I live in rural Montana on a Hobby Farm (it's a hobby when you make no money doing it LOL) Love the mountains, outdoors and our beautiful Glacier and Yellowstone parks. I have 4 grandchildren that I adore and want to continue to be active and enjoy them. I have a pretty vicious autoimmune disease (Ankylosing Spondylitis) and it has the potential to fuse my spine. Starting the Whole30 has told me that something in my diet IS feeding it. I stay active up here with a huge garden, a flock of chickens and our love of outdoors. I am a substitute teacher, teaching both high school and elementary. 

Ancient History

I've had amazing careers, from being in the military as a flight mechanic during VietNam, to working on the first 3 Space Shuttles, to being in management for an NBC TV station. I had an anorexic mom, who told me I was fat my entire life...when I weighed 96 lb. So that left me with a bit of dieting baggage. I never really got overweight until after 55, but did some yo yo dieting off and on. Had horrific sleep habits, and made up for the sleep deprivation with sugar, sugar, sugar. 

Personal Goals

To use meditation and mindfulness to bring me into balance. (it may mean staying away from the news or Facebook) To add more regimented physical fitness, on a regular basis. To sometimes just sit and enjoy this life

... and thank you @kirkor for some amazing wallpaper. That was seriously the nudge I needed to take the Whole 30 to the next level. 

For those of you who eat pate - any favorite ways to eat it? I've only ever seen it served with toast, and found a yummy-looking recipe I'd like to try, but not sure of the most delicious way to go about it!

If you can eat celery it works well for pate. I can't do celery so I usually spread it on romaine lettuce leaves with some thinly sliced tomatoes & mayo then roll the leaves in to make a kind of wrap.

Love liver have it at least twice a week - super cheap - I flash fry with cayenne and slap a fried egg on top of mine with loads of leaves

Do kidney at least once a week as well - I treat it like a steak 

Jmcbn  - did you feed the beef heart to the kids - if so were they ok with it ?

Big meat weekend coming up 

Sat - feeding the meat eating / blood thirsty babes - beef vindaloo - beef shins (slow cooked) loads of marrow - they love marrow

Sun - feeding the bone gnawing cave boys - lamb shanks (slow cooked) - they love bones and taking apart joints 

Also plan a big pot of spag bol sauce for my ever growing babes - hopefully I will get at least 13-15 meals done

Happy days !!

My eldest turned his nose up at it (he's not keen on meat in any kind of a sauce), but the wee one dug in - he's much more adventurous!!

I've been waiting patiently ... and woke this morning to perfectly ripened avocados!  Yea and yum :) 

Wish I was more adventurous with "non-traditional" meat.  You all make it sound so good!!

Agreed. I have a freezer with numerous clean beef livers in it but I've never had liver I could say I enjoyed. I just tolerated and that's only because it was more onions and ketchup than liver. Hubby loves it as do parents. Ugh...I may gave to experiment now during my time off.

I'll take suggestions for a newbie if anyone's got ideas.

Welcome azcoolmom. Cool name. Impressive history. I get the feeling a lot of us relate with the past you describe in one sense or another. I'm plugging past 30 days to try to break long standing habits that I don't feel 30 will take care of. Meditate, yes. Stop and smell the proverbial roses, definitely. Be thankful every day for what I have. A must!!!

i find the more clarity I get, though, the more things around me seem obtuse. The news. Social media. What people get irritated at. My co workers complaints. I find myself unplugging totally and focusing on not judging and getting wound up over it. I don't know...I don't have my feelings sorted out yet, I guess.

It's a beautiful, crisp morning here as the sun comes up showing the frost covered branches. The house is quiet. The cat is sleeping in my lap. The day is full of possibilities.

Have a great day.

I think Well fed also has a fried liver recipe with lemon and parsley. It is to die for! Warning: It was a no brakes food for me...so good!

This is what I made last night, how'd you know?! :)

I thought for sure there was a Well Fed liver pate recipe too, with nutmeg and a hard boiled egg, but I couldn't find it in the books in time (grumble grumble about her book indexing style...). So the whole pound of liver went to this recipe with lots of parsley and lemon and a few shakes of nutmeg. I think it was also from Mel that I learned to marinate raw liver in lemon juice to make it less "livery"? But can't find the link. 

I sometimes put my liver pate in egg-crepes -- whip an egg and cook in medium skillet. Smear it in there, sometimes add some greens. 

My Moroccan beef heart stew was wonderful to wake up to, I did the crock pot after jmcbn mentioned it.  I'm glad I didn't hesitate in adding the 1/2t of cayenne pepper. It seemed like a lot to add, but in the absence of onions (I only use scallion greens because of FODMAP) I knew it'd need a punchy flavor. ZING!

Flygrrl -- you can add liver in small amounts to meatloaf. I've found that the lemon marinade step really helps with me the liver flavor, but now I don't mind it as much. Your freezer is full of possibilities  :D  (sorry, loved the line from your post above)

Zoe - what do you do with the kidney? I'd try it!

azcoolmom - welcome!

Zoe - what do you do with the kidney? I'd try it!

I treat kidney like a steak - keep it in one piece - season and flash fry a couple of mins on each side

The fat renders down so you don't need too much additional oil 

It works for me

I also do liver with lots of parsley / lemon juice / red onion and balsamic - the balsamic certainly covers up some of the livery taste and caramelizes the meat which is nice 

OK - so I am getting ahead of myself AGAIN

Technically this is one for September BUT...

I am slotting it in to "Personal Growth" and hoping it will help with sleep / stress management and everything else

I have booked myself on to a HOW TO MEDITATE workshop

Now I normally don't do fluffy - but I have been encouraged by my non fluffy yoga to go for it 

If nothing else it will be a step out of my comfort zone

OK - so I am getting ahead of myself AGAIN

Technically this is one for September BUT...

I am slotting it in to "Personal Growth" and hoping it will help with sleep / stress management and everything else

Now I normally don't do fluffy - but I have been encouraged by my non fluffy yoga to go for it 

Well, it fits in personal growth just as much or more than Temperance. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Personal_development

I have finally made peace with CAULIRICE!

I like raw cauliflower, and can't stand it cooked.

Browsed here and there for alternatives, tried even riced parsnip... so bitter! no way.

I now make my caulirice not to thin, I melt some ghee and sautée it for about 1 mn in a small sauce pan... it's more to warm it up.

Once I take my bad vibes from the equation... it's all good!

I broke down and made some cauli rice for the first time last week. IMHO, a total waste of time.It tasted good, but would have been just as delicious without the extra step. I love cauliflower, but making it into "rice" is not my cup of tea. I don't miss rice and dishes that are normally consumed with rice are just as good without rice. Rice is just a filler upper. So, for me, I'll spend the time on something else... :D

This will give you the weekend to review your goals and progress in January and prepare goals for February!

Some of us will be reintroducing in Feb. Some will be focusing on Personal Growth. Some of us will be doing both! Here are some good links to help out.

Whole9's Personal Growth blog page It's not updated very much. But here's a good post considering our goals coming out of January. 

Create long-term, sustainable behavior change with a positive feedback loop.   And let's be sure we don't reward ourselves with food!

As for reintroductions: to start here's a nice summary that overviews reintroductions and includes a sample schedule. There's also a 'slow roll' reintroduction that works better for some. I'd also recommend spending some time in the Reintroductions area of the forums as this will provide ideas for schedules, troubleshooting, and interpretation of symptoms. 

--------------------------------------------------

For me, January's major challenge was to quit staring at my phone while eating (95% success!) and not rushing through dinner because I'm bored or too hungry (60% success, better in the last week though). I found that doing a Sudoku puzzle during dinner occupied my hands and mind, so I'd eat dinner in 20 minutes instead of five.

To keep from rushing, I'd pick about 3 chores to do upon coming home to break the habit of 'walk in the door and hurriedly eat right away'. I quickly found that I'd get hungry by just coming home, even if I wasn't really hungry. It was more like a Pavlovian response: come home = eat. Now I am relaxed, I think ahead to what I want to eat as a template meal, previously it was a munchfest standing at the fridge. 

So for Personal Growth in February I will continue working on those habits to really get them set in stone as some of them are still recent.  I don't plan to do reintroductions, as that wasn't a goal for my Whole30. Instead I'll work towards testing FODMAP foods and continuing to grow my list of safe foods and recipes.  

Happy tmorrow is Friday, everyone! I love this forum. Each post is interesting and relevant! I am in the middle of day 27 of 45 and feeling grrrrreat. Mostly. My hurdle is sleep. There are corollary issues... Anxiety, moodiness. Hmm. I have been doing some reading, such as in the daily emalil advisories and in the Coffee Manifesto, and I have come to the conclusion that it is worth a try to . . .gulp . . .stop drinking it. For awhile. To see how I feel. So, for the Remainder of my Whole 45, I am going to taper off and work on the self improvement of not needing coffee. I think this is gong to be harder than red wine was! Anyway, I will be doing this to support my personal growth. Also, I will journal daily regarding my moods and communications with family, friends and colleagues and work on getting it right. Focus. Less electronics.

Maybe I will even try to make pate! Can't see my way clear to eating hearts just yet, but you never know!

To keep from rushing, I'd pick about 3 chores to do upon coming home to break the habit of 'walk in the door and hurriedly eat right away'. I quickly found that I'd get hungry by just coming home, even if I wasn't really hungry. It was more like a Pavlovian response: come home = eat. Now I am relaxed, I think ahead to what I want to eat as a template meal, previously it was a munchfest standing at the fridge. 

I do exactly this, except I try to approach it from the opposite angle in that I try to do as many chores as I can so that when I do finally sit down to eat I know that I can savour every bite because I don't have to get back up again - well, until something else needs done!

Hi cottage queen

Thanks for the link - brought a bit of a tear to my eye - the folks all looked so sad.

• Was dealing with my wayward boy 2 this morning and I so worry that he will have regrets - he just can't seem to grasp the notion of when you co-operate with people they generally co-operate back - when you constantly fight with people they eventually stay clear of you - so worried his attitude now will impact his future - he is a bright capable boy with so many options I really don't want him to waste his life because he hurts everyone around him - but there is no talking to him at the moment.

HI Melimus

My thoughts on coffee - I really only drink a couple of coffees each day - mostly in the morning. 

I have dropped it completely and gone to just 1 cup on many occasions - what I notice each time is - it really doesn't have that much impact on my sleep and when I don't have coffee I feel a little more sluggish - so for me doing 2 (maybe 3) a day and really enjoying them is far better than bearing the deprivation. 

In general

In Feb I will not be introducing anything food wise - in fact I will be taking out fruit, other than lemon / lime / grapefruit - this is to hopefully curb a date / raisin / grape habit

I will be reintroducing the scales - I want to do a once a week to track progress - I have put on a lot of weight over the last year and while I don't want to get anywhere near my lowest weight I do want to be fighting fit and lean by November - a pound a month would do it

Love the do some "habit chores/things" when you get home to stop you diving into the fridge - will think about that 

Enjoy your day

LOVE this  :wub: 

Regret the things you HAVE done, not the things you haven't...

There are some things I can't change and I'm comfortable with that, but this last year I've been working on the things I CAN change. No regrets.

Thanks, Zoe, on the coffee notes.  I suspect I'll end up in around the same place.  Right now I am in serious need of rest and it's clear I have some adrenal fatigue.  I feel like I should at least *try* to see if no caffeine can help me. 

In terms of personal growth, for me, the mindfulness that this Whole approach brings is a huge enabler.  Sobriety and clarity of mind brought out by no sugar or empty carbs, better gut health - well, let's just say that in and of itself, encourages me to deal with things.  Right now, that includes admitting I'm not perfect and stopping trying to put on a good show to please others (or is it really so I don't have to deal with things?)  This is hard stuff!  I have to deal with it, because it is all right there and no getting around it.

Yesterday evening my reward for sticktoitiveness was a therapeutic sports massage.  I am recovering from physical injuries and decades of severe stress.  I'm learning that I have instituted iron control over my body in response to stress, and this results in a lot of unacknowledged pain.  I remember waking one day and found I was clenching my jaw so hard that it was excruciatingly painful.  "I have to stop sleeping grimly" I said to myself.  Easier said than done.  Anyway, the sports massage - it's not relaxing, it's releasing.  It can be very uncomfortable but getting your fascia layer unstuck and your tendons stretched and your body to stop clenching from head to toe is a necessary part of healing, at least for me.  The process brings up the memories of why you started limping just so, when did you fall; why your shoulders up and braced; why is your neck stiff.  So today I am sore, but I slept better last night.  I'm going to keep up this physical therapy for the month of personal growth and letting go of stress ....in order to set the stage for great sleep for next month's challenge.

It's always the hardest parts that send us into joy, isn't it? 

Yesterday evening my reward for sticktoitiveness was a therapeutic sports massage.  I am recovering from physical injuries and decades of severe stress.  I'm learning that I have instituted iron control over my body in response to stress, and this results in a lot of unacknowledged pain.  I remember waking one day and found I was clenching my jaw so hard that it was excruciatingly painful.  "I have to stop sleeping grimly" I said to myself.  Easier said than done.  Anyway, the sports massage - it's not relaxing, it's releasing.  It can be very uncomfortable but getting your fascia layer unstuck and your tendons stretched and your body to stop clenching from head to toe is a necessary part of healing, at least for me.  The process brings up the memories of why you started limping just so, when did you fall; why your shoulders up and braced; why is your neck stiff.  So today I am sore, but I slept better last night.  I'm going to keep up this physical therapy for the month of personal growth and letting go of stress ....in order to set the stage for great sleep for next month's challenge.

I'm applying the same principle tonight - not relaxing but releasing - dynamic yoga - hope I don't fall over again this week - but glad to see I was not the only one !!

I use foam rollers, lacrosse balls, and a wooden device resembling a spindle, a device that represents a notched bow.... But some spots need a professional who is trained. Being able to yoga properly is one desired outcome of my pt.

That's great!  I've tried meditation a few times (not with great success).  I did enjoy a guided group meditation (but moved out of the area after going just a few times).  One of the take-aways from that group was there is more than one way to meditate.  Her thought was getting lost in a song is a form of mediation, getting zoned out during a workout is a form of meditation.  She taught start with what feels most natural and build on that.

I'm curious what you will learn.  Let us know how it goes ... fluffy and all  ;)

Archived