Join A 2016 Whole9 Challenge!

LucieB

Welcome saree-maree! 

Well I might suspend my search for licorice root to make a mock-up of the Aveda comfort tea, knew licorice root had side effects but I don't want to play with those right now. 

I couldn't see the butterfly photo on my phone, love it!

One of my Feb goals is to quit staring at screens so much, so my time here has been reduced too. But I'm around, usually lurking with quick checks on my phone.

It's Friday! Recipe shopping time. And I just have to say, how have Armadillo Eggs escaped my radar thus far?! Sausage-wrapped, stuffed jalapenos! I'm gonna stuff then with some sort of scrambled egg instead of cheese.  

My personal growth in February will focus on expanding my food list and reintro'ing some FODMAP foods I typically avoid. New food last week was steamed collards - success! They used to upset the tummy (not FODMAP, so fiber I'm guessing). This week I tried chamomile tea (FODMAP) and as long as I dilute it out and don't drink all at once I'm OK. Otherwise...not so good!

This week...not sure yet. But I did want to just check in, say HI to everyone, and wish everyone a great weekend!!

• Replies 580
  • Created
  • Last Reply

saree - maree 

gee whizz

what do you say !! so many similarities 

welcome

join us - please do 

i feel this is so much more than 30 days of eating a programme 

this is about a better life 

build all the people you need around you 

we will all help and support 

lucie B

when you are finished with licorice root have a rummage for valerian root

my wonderful sleep tea gave me pounding in the ears and palpitations last night - much the same as the awful reaction to licorice root

another food out ??????

Valerian root was in it

HAVE GIVEN UP ON HERBAL TEAS 

GOING BACK TO WHAT WORKED BEST FOR YEARS

COFFEE / WATER 

Beliefs.....wow. What a project to take those on....ifI can even figure out what they are! Nice discussion of how to move forward, discard the old shell. I believe that discomfort is a sign of the growing edge...and I LOVE riding that edge when I can find it. In my life there have been some BIG challenges and what I first experienced as restrictions...butI have learned that these elements are there to hold and to shape me into developing in ways I might otherwise have neglected. Not always so happily, but, in the end, my capacity for acceptance of WHAT IS has grown...and my patience for my own whining has declined dramatically...

I took my granddaughter to Costa Rica when she was 12, and Ina tour there at a butterfly sanctuary, we were told that, from caterpillar to butterfly, through the cocoon, the entire DNA of the butterfly is rearranged

Now THAT is a shell changer for sure!

Oh, I am sad to find out about the licorice root. :(  That explains some things though. Valerian I was already cautious of, my sister had a fairly dramatic reaction in which she passed out on the floor and quit breathing after using it a sleep aid.  We're not actually sure if it was an allergic thing or interaction with her prescribed medications.

My big personal growth thing going on right now: reading The Divided Mind, The Epidemic of Mindbody Disorders by: John E. Sarno, MD. A good friend told me about this a few months ago. Definitely very interesting.

Like "The mind body prescription" J. Sarno is dead on. Thanks Cottagequeen for sharing.

Ugh. It seems like such a  long time since I read purely for leisure/pleasure - it's hard trying to find time to fit it all in, so for now I'm prioritizing studies - I still get a kick out of that kind of reading because it's taking me in a new direction, but to find time to lose myself completely in a book.... ? Well, it's just been too long.

I did take time to completely switch off from all things work/study related at the weekend (at the end of a very stressful week last week), and reveled in the company of good friends, family & (more) good food - for me this was an important time to allow me to both physically and mentally take a deep breath, re-group & prepare for the journey ahead, and it appears to have worked - I woke up this morning with a very clear & focused head. 

Homemade Mexican fish chowder, my own recipe. I really need to start writing these down. or videoing for future reference. Need an assistant... Anyway, Had some cod and wanted to make up something with leftovers for lunch tomorrow. Sauteed onion in coconut oil in my Stainless steel sauce pot on low heat(gas). Put the fish in the pot with the onion and put the lid, squeezed a half a lime juice into the pot and let it steam cook while I chopped some carrot and sweet potato. Put them in the pot and chopped celery and put it in. Scraped up about 1/4 cup coconut manana out of the jar and put that in. Next, I put in cumin, cilantro, smoked paprika, some cayenne, garlic and some dulse, along with about 2 cups of water, turned heat up to med and brought to a boil. While it boiled I chopped up the fish in the pot with my spatula then chopped about 1 1/2 cups cabbage and red bell pepper. Put it in, added about 2 tbsp more of the coconut manana, some more cumin and cilantro, along with turmeric, chili powder, ginger and basil, turned back to low and let it simmer then til the cabbage was tender. Quite tasty, tho next time I think I'll add some compliant bacon...

Ooh copying your Mexican fish chowder! For the past few months I've eaten very little fish and I'm not sure why. Over the weekend I wandered into the fish section of the grocery (it's separate from the other meats, maybe that's why I don't get prompted to eat fish?) and found on sale for $2 whole tilapia! Figured for $2 I could just try it, it would be my first ever whole fish. Read a lot of recipes, selected a simple ghee butter and spice recipe. It was annoying to eat around bones and fins and other inedibles, but I see potential to learn more :)

My jalapeno armadillo eggs were a FAIL, my ground turkey shrunk during cooking so the pepper and egg mix looks like it has a meat hat! Taste is OK, but they look ridiculous. In honor of Mardi Gras weekend I made NomNom's Remoulade sauce and put creole spices in my ground turkey with the goal of dipping in the sauce for my fat. Lol, what a mash-up of foods. 

My FODMAP February is a bit stalled, I need to pick a food to play with. I guess saying it here is my start for that. When the month ended some of my January personal goals started to slip, like a food reintroduction slippery slope tumble. So...re-committing to those because I did like how it felt to not eat in a hurry. Took my eyes off the prize, no excuses!

Hi, I'm new posting here, but have enjoyed reading this thread. I noticed the reference to John Sarno and wanted to chime in. I read another book of his many years ago, when I had back pain, and found it very helpful. It was recommended to me - but I learned not to recommend it to others. In that book, he was basically saying that pain like this exists as a kind of distraction from emotional pain, and almost always, there is nothing physically wrong to cause the pain. It took a while, but I was able to accept this and the pain gradually disappeared and has never returned. He made a really strong case for his theory in this book, but I stopped trying to talk about it to people who were experiencing back pain because it made them mad. They could accept that it might be true for others, but for themselves... Never.

To all you FODMAP'rs out there 

What happens to you when you do raw cauliflower ?

Had a real notion for cauli at lunch & ate it raw

Used to live on raw cauli during my pregnancies - actually lived on any white food: cauli; fish; pots; youg; bread! (back in the old days !)

But really suffering now 6 hours later - pain across top of tummy 

Zoe - no cauli for me, cooked or raw. But especially not raw! I get symptoms like you describe from bloating. I've considered trying recipes in which once divided into portions would only include 0.25c of cauliflower but can't bring myself to try it!

It's good that you tried it though! Experimenting is the only way to find out. 

Yeah, I can't do cauliflower either - raw or cooked. And I used to make an amazing cauliflower & potato curry as a side dish....  :( 

With the whole FODMAP thing I strongly suspect that I can't do polyols, and if a fructan is also a cruciferous then I have to really watch my portion size.

It's still a work in progress & YMMV but I am seeing some progress from my FODMAP trials.

Slow & steady and all that.....

Hi, I'm new posting here, but have enjoyed reading this thread. I noticed the reference to John Sarno and wanted to chime in. I read another book of his many years ago, when I had back pain, and found it very helpful. It was recommended to me - but I learned not to recommend it to others. In that book, he was basically saying that pain like this exists as a kind of distraction from emotional pain, and almost always, there is nothing physically wrong to cause the pain. It took a while, but I was able to accept this and the pain gradually disappeared and has never returned. He made a really strong case for his theory in this book, but I stopped trying to talk about it to people who were experiencing back pain because it made them mad. They could accept that it might be true for others, but for themselves... Never.

Interesting theory.

I recall reading a post somewhere on the forum about your 'bite' effecting your back, and that often by having your bite corrected that pain back can be alleviated. This made me think about people who grind their teeth at night9 through stress or whatever) and how having their bite changed might effect them.

I guess logically the body tenses when in pain (be it emotional or physical) and as such it makes senses then that the act of tensing would eventually cause pain elsewhere.

Of course sometimes there really is just a perfectly valid medical explanation - which in my case in the summer was a prolapsed disc.

Yep, it was recommended to me by some one who had back issues that the docs could find no cause.We were actually talking about Whole30, Bowen and other alternative health things. I'm reading it because I like to investigate everything and I do believe our minds are connected to our bodies. I'm not scared that I am crazy... :D My aunt actually posted "schizoid" as a comment to my Facebook post that I was reading the book. Just want to learn. It is that interest in learning that brought me to Whole30 in the first place. The way I see it, recommending the book to someone is just that. It is their choice to take that recommendation or leave. It is their life and I am not upset if they choose not. You never know, there could come a day when they think "Hey, maybe I will look into it" Just like talking to people about Whole30. There will and has been people who don;t like what I say, in fact a lot more than those who want to know more, but the seed is planted... Planting seeds, some will grow, some won't! None will if one doesn't plant them... 

Hi all!

I downloaded a Sarno book this week.  Thanks for the recommendation.  I like learning different perspectives ... reviews were really positive.  Have a couple of books ahead, so probably won't start it until end of the month.

Finally trying frozen riced cauliflower from Trader Joe's.  I have to watch portions on this veggie too.  When I make it myself, I tend to eat the whole head in a short amount of time.  I figure the frozen option would help me watch my portions.

Still doing some stress eating.  Trying to get a better handle.  I like my controlled eating of Whole30.  I think I'll take a week of Whole30 eating prior to my trip to VA to get myself in a better place.

Tomorrow is FINALLY my first private yoga class!  Excited and a bit nervous.  I know I'll be sore on Friday  :( but hope it's a good experience!

I had a close friend in college who, during our sophomore year, developed debilitating pain in his wrists. He had a full medical workup and nothing organic was ever found to be causing this pain. It was so bad that he ended up having to take a semester off - he had virtually lost all use of his hands.

During his time off, he found and read Dr. Sarno's writings. His pain disappeared and never came back.

Really enjoyed the yoga class.  Expected to be sore today, but just mildly so in a few areas.  Of course it was a lot of instruction, so not a full class.  

The instructor was great.  Positive, encouraging.  Lots of mind-body information.  She noticed so many subtleties that it was almost spooky ... like she could read my mind  :blink:   Guess she was "reading" my body.  

I have one more private session, then I'll try a class.  I told her I was a bit intimidated to do a class.  Her response ... we each have our own journey on the mat.  I liked that perspective.

Really enjoyed the yoga class.  Expected to be sore today, but just mildly so in a few areas.  Of course it was a lot of instruction, so not a full class.  

The instructor was great.  Positive, encouraging.  Lots of mind-body information.  She noticed so many subtleties that it was almost spooky ... like she could read my mind  :blink:   Guess she was "reading" my body.  

I have one more private session, then I'll try a class.  I told her I was a bit intimidated to do a class.  Her response ... we each have our own journey on the mat.  I liked that perspective.

I don't know if that's your dog, WholeChristina, but when I read your post, I was thinking of how dogs have that body reading skill. - in spades. They're used to paying close attention. My dog is a rescue, with abuse in his background, and I see him doing this all the time. I have learned to pay close attention to him as well, looking for signs of fear that could lead to bad behavior. I think this has some application to the changes I'm trying to make. This month, paying close attention to body feedback and thoughts and feelings around eating.

Archived