PMS insanity

broccolimama

Hi. I have basically been a lurker around here but I need help. A pep talk, someone to tell me I am doing ok, something. I am on day 22 and TODAY i feel like i want to "kill all the things." Delayed reaction? Before this I have been impressed with handling sugar and coffee cravings and trusting the process through several days of serving macaroni and cheese and watching them eat pizza. (My husband isn't doing this and neither are my kids) and today I feel like I am losing my mind.

I do want to say in general I have been feeling super. Increased energy, better skin, shinier hair, clearer eyes, possibly less bloating (I think).

I think it's PMS but i had breakfast this AM 3 eggs and a bunch of spinach all cooked in ghee with some decaf with coconut milk. Due to a work issue I couldn't get back to my office to eat my lunch for 6 hr and seriously at 5.5hr I was losing my mind walking the streets of NYC. I was fantasyzing about just runnng into a store getting anything and shoving it in my mouth. I was kind of sweating and dizzy- horrible. I ended up running into a healthfood store and buying raw macadamia nuts. A handful kept me sane until I got to my desk.

I have never felt like this in my life. It's close to my time of the month and I can only assume this is PMS.

L: roasted veggies and potato, 2 chicken thighs, a few olives ( in addition to those nuts metioned earlier) maybe too much fat?

I'm here 3 hr later and hungry again. Is this normal?? Do i eat another meal? I was saving my dinner until 7

Thanks for any advice!

• Moderators

Often during the week leading up to and of our periods, we are much hungrier than in the other weeks of the month.  Some women here report eating meals twice as big as usual, which is totally okay!  If you're hungry, eat... if you can't get a full meal, a mini meal of at least one of the three macros (protein, fat, veg).

You may want to consider upping your starchy carbs to twice a day or even at every meal and see how that goes!

Your lunch is probably a bit on the small side in general anyway... chicken thighs are not exactly huge... and you definitely don't have too much fat.

Increase all your portions for the next few days and see how that makes you feel.

(congrats on being strong in the face of temptation up to this point as well!)

does a meal always have to include all 3- protein , veg, fat? (even if it's a mini meal) I could just sit down with an avocado with some salt and a spoon but I am defintely not in the mood for protein right now.

wow Amy- 6. I'm impressed!

Keep in mind that the meal template recommendations are just that - recommendations. I'd suggest the avocado, salt, and a spoon, and maybe dig that spoon into a bite of sweet potato or chicken too. But you can try just the avocado and see how you do. One thing that can REALLY help, though, is more starchy carbs. So there's no harm in trying various foods or combinations of foods and seeing what works. The mini-meal idea is about balance, and also about the Whole30 commitment to eating, rather than snacking. In other words, if you're hungry, we actually want you to eat. This is a revolutionary concept for many folks, so the template and the concept of the mini-meal helps people give themselves permission to actually eat when they're actually hungry.

I used to find the six-meals-a-day thing alarming, and I'm not suggesting that it will be true for anyone else - just using it as an example of someone who understands that bottomless pit feeling. Nowadays I keep cans of beets on hand all the time. :lol:

• 3 weeks later...

I am so glad that I saw this post today. I woke up a little nauseous (a typical PMS symptom for me) and made myself some breakfast of a little bigger than palm-sized piece of steak, a whole bunch of fresh green beans sauteed in a little ghee, an orange, and a cup of coffee with coconut milk. It's 3 hours later and I'm about to kill someone for my lunch (I've already gotten up from my desk and gone for a little walk, had a nice big glass of water, and thought about if I wanted boring ol' fish and steamed broccoli - the answer was a resounding yes). I guess when I just kind of mindlessly picked at food when I thought I was hungry I didn't notice that I did need/want more food in the days leading up to my period. I think I'll have some starchy veg with breakfast tomorrow and see how that goes. 

I guess when I just kind of mindlessly picked at food when I thought I was hungry I didn't notice that I did need/want more food in the days leading up to my period. I think I'll have some starchy veg with breakfast tomorrow and see how that goes. 

Oddly, women are often encouraged to eat junk at this time too, but real hunger needs real food :)

I'm a lot hungrier just before, but then later I have days where I'm a lot less hungry.

I'm expecting my period in a day or two.   I'm only on day 8 of Whole30.  So my chocolate cravings haven't died down yet, but right now, even though I am physically full (nice big dinner of chicken tenderloins, red peppers, tomatoes, and a huge serving of broccoli and then a clementine and a cup of tea) I can't stop day dreaming about cramming a piece of chocolate or two or 20 down my throat!  I know part of it is PMS.  

• Administrators

I'm expecting my period in a day or two.   I'm only on day 8 of Whole30.  So my chocolate cravings haven't died down yet, but right now, even though I am physically full (nice big dinner of chicken tenderloins, red peppers, tomatoes, and a huge serving of broccoli and then a clementine and a cup of tea) I can't stop day dreaming about cramming a piece of chocolate or two or 20 down my throat!  I know part of it is PMS.

You might try upping your starchy veggies in the next couple of days. Your body wants carbs right now and is asking for them in the language of chocolate!

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you for this post!  I'm on day 26 of my whole30, and have had wonderful self control so far.  I've been craving healthy food.  But I think my period is on it's way because I am obsessing over chocolate!  I want brownies!  I considered cheating, but went for some blueberries, coconut flakes, and almonds instead.  I love that this program has me thinking differently about food- I never would have wanted fruit and coconut as a treat before the whole30.  Now I feel like I am doing something good for my body and having a treat at the same time.  

I never considered that my body might need more food/carbs/calories during that time of the month.  I guess I don't feel guilty about eating some fruits and good fats!  Very cool.

• Moderators

Thank you for this post!  I'm on day 26 of my whole30, and have had wonderful self control so far.  I've been craving healthy food.  But I think my period is on it's way because I am obsessing over chocolate!  I want brownies!  I considered cheating, but went for some blueberries, coconut flakes, and almonds instead.  I love that this program has me thinking differently about food- I never would have wanted fruit and coconut as a treat before the whole30.  Now I feel like I am doing something good for my body and having a treat at the same time.  

I never considered that my body might need more food/carbs/calories during that time of the month.  I guess I don't feel guilty about eating some fruits and good fats!  Very cool.

Fruits and good fats are fine, but don't neglect those starchy veggies. They may be more filling for you than fruit. 

Archived