shaimom's First Whole30 - It's time to feel good again!

shaimom

Whole30 Start Date: Sunday 20th December.

Intro: I am a 23 years old female, married with an 18 month old son. I am currently studying to become a computer programmer and working part-time.

My main reasons for starting the Whole30 are:

1. To feel more energetic - I have always felt weak and tired. I never drink enough water. I am constantly hungry and feel like I have low blood sugar, always irritable whenever I'm hungry.

2. To kick my sugar (and dairy) addictions - I used to be really good about not having sugar, until we got given some bottles of soda and I just couldn't resist them. Then it was cake, and donuts, and I managed to trick myself into thinking I deserved a snack every time I went to the grocery store... enough said. It is extra hard because I am thin, it's not like I can see myself getting fat as I eat more unhealthy foods. I also LOVE dairy, although I was intolerant as a small child and I sometimes wonder if I still am.

3. To balance my hormones and increase my fertility. I just got diagnosed with endometriosis and PCOS. It took me two years before I got pregnant with my son and I want to add to my family once again. Now I know my hormones are out of whack and something is wrong in there, I want to clean up my act and let my body heal!

My greatest fear during the Whole30 is breaking my Whole30 after having to touch, look at or bake a cake/cookies... or being pressured by friends and family to eat something I shouldn't.

-- LOG--

DAY 1

Breakfast: Scrambled eggs with peppers and onions, banana

Lunch: Stew with chicken, potatoes, sweet potatoes, carrots, chicken broth with zucchini and chicken wings

Dinner: Pan fried salmon and green beans, cooked in lots of olive oil, orange

Day 2:

Breakfast: Scrambled eggs with zucchini, apple (from now on due to feedback I am not going to have fruit in the morning, and will have try to have a veg more filling than zucchini)

Lunch: Leftover salmon chunks, canned tuna with sauteed peppers and onions in a lettuce wrap

Dinner: Beef patties, sweet potato and potato hash, green beans

Day 3: This was the first day I felt actually full after every meal, especially when being sure to drink water whenever I thought I was hungry.

Breakfast: Leftover beef patties chopped up into mixed veg soup containing onion, zucchini, pumpkin, sweet potato, carrot, tomato sauce.

Lunch: Sole pan fried in tapioca starch and ghee, more mixed veg soup

Dinner: Beef burgers with riced cabbage and tomato sauce

Day 4: Today I am fasting between breakfast and dinner as I have a medical appointment, so this is my plan:

Breakfast: Scrambled eggs with ghee, sweet potato and potato hash

Dinner: Leftover sole pan fried in ghee with sauteed broccoli, green beans, mushrooms, peppers and onions

Mini-meal if hungry from fasting: Boiled egg, green beans and homemade mayo

Thoughts so far:

I am loving the increased self-control that comes with following rules! The only thing I am concerned about is having too many carb. rich veg. It's hard, and expensive, for me to get broccoli, cauliflower, spinach etc.

I am loving the increased self-control that comes with following rules! The only thing I am concerned about is having too many carb. rich veg. It's hard, and expensive, for me to get broccoli, cauliflower, spinach etc.

Are you physically active? If so you can probably get away with more carbs than those who are sedentary, but many people use frozen veg to cut down on the expense whilst still eating a good variety...

You may also find if you hold back the starchy veg until meal three you'll have more sustained energy throughout the day & better sleep - something to play around with.

Are you physically active? If so you can probably get away with more carbs than those who are sedentary, but many people use frozen veg to cut down on the expense whilst still eating a good variety...

You may also find if you hold back the starchy veg until meal three you'll have more sustained energy throughout the day & better sleep - something to play around with.

I don't work out but I do a decent amount of housework and picking up/carrying my 18 month old. Apart from that, I shamefully sit on the couch all day (working and studying, but sitting nonetheless). I have tried doing 10 mins on the exercise bike but it makes me feel sick and I can never seem to find time.

Regarding holding back the starchy veg until meal 3, I was looking at the amount of carbs in different veg. It seems like sweet potatoes and potatoes are very high, and carrots/pumpkin/butternut are more moderate. Should I limit all those types in the first two meals or are the moderate ones not a problem? I can get these veg easily and cheaply. Also, I didn't realize green beans weren't high carb - I always assumed they were somehow. Definitely going to have more of those.

Day 5:

Breakfast: Scrambled eggs in ghee with sauteed beet leaves, onions and peppers

Lunch: Leftover sole with sauteed beat leaves, mushrooms, peppers, onions

Dinner: Potato, carrot an zucchini frittata, half an avocado

Day 6:

Breakfast: 3 boiled eggs (really didn't enjoy having more eggs, almost felt like I had an aversion to them) with homemade mayo and a some raw pepper sticks - not feeling very hungry!

Lunch: Chicken broth with plenty of chicken, onions, zucchini and carrots

Dinner: Chicken broth with carrots, chicken, roasted mini sweet potatoes and green beans

Day 7:

Breakfast: Salmon patties, salad with lettuce, cucumber, apple, balsamic vinegar and homemade mayo

Lunch: Stew made from chicken, potatoes, peppers, onions, tomatoes. Leftover salad with oil and balsamic dressing

Dinner: Leftovers: Veggie frittata, fish patties, salad, half an avocado

Feeling blargh and hungry. Had to go to a friends house for tea and she had all these amazing cream cakes there. I took home a slice and froze it for eating in moderation after the whole30, hoping that by then I won't even want it. Really really could do with a cookie or fat slab of cake right now :(

Day 8:

Breakfast: Scrambled eggs in olive oil with salsa

Lunch: Leftover chicken stew and olives

Dinner: Butternut and apple soup with chicken pieces

Day 9:

Breakfast: Butternut and apple soup with strips of omelet fried in ghee

Lunch: Chicken taco soup with beet greens, a small orange

Dinner: Chocolate chilli with riced cabbage

Day 10:

Breakfast: Chocolate chili and riced cabbage leftovers

Lunch: Butternut soup with egg/spinach omelet

Dinner: Fish patties with roasted carrots

Day 11:

Breakfast: Scrambled eggs with beet leaves

Lunch: Fish patties, cut up raw veg and 1/2 avocado

Dinner: Cottage pie made with beef, grated carrots and coconut cream cauliflower and potato mash

Day 12:

Breakfast: Leftover cottage pie

Lunch: Beet leaf, pepper, mushroom, onion, zucchini, sweet potato frittata

Dinner: Tuna sushi with riced cabbage, avocado, cucumber, pepper, carrot filling

Day 13:

Breakfast: Fried eggs and cut up pepper

Lunch: Chicken broth with chicken wings, extra carrots, potatoes, butternut squash

Dinner: Pan fried tapioca coated chicken breast, sweet potato and potato hash

Day 14:

Breakfast: Tuna egg and lettuce salad

Lunch: Beef and butternut stew

Dinner: Leftover fritatta and salad and avocado

Day 15:

Breakfast: Leftover beef stew

Lunch: Curried chicken butternut soup

Dinner: Tuna steak and roasted green beans, some leftover potato sweet potato hash

Day 16:

Breakfast: Scrambled eggs in leftover butternut soup

Lunch: Fish patties with zucchini and peppers in tomato sauce

Dinner: Leftover chicken in tapioca starch, zucchini in tomato, with sweet potato and potato

Over half way through and I'm feeling great! I do get hungry a little before meal times but much better than before and can hold out. Started picking a little at food while cooking... must stop that :(

Do miss my sweet foods but feel so proud of not having had any sugar for 15 days!

HI Shaimom

Sorry for not getting back to you sooner - Holidays heppened and I wasn't around much until yesterday!

Re the starchy veg, personally I more often than not hold back ANY starchy veg until meal 3 with the occasional small serving in meal 2 when I'm getting close to food prep time - I seem to always have enough potatoes to feed a small village no matter what time of the week it is - it must be the Irish in me  :P 

Your meals look to have plenty of variety. I'd comment that you could maybe do with more fat - there doesn;t seem to be any added to your meals on most occasions except for the oils you're using for cooking. The fat will help keep those sweet cravings at bay for sure.

If you're still a little hungry between meals try upping your protein.

You're doing great so far!

Day 17:

Breakfast: Sardines and grilled veggies with ghee

Lunch: Meatballs in tomato sauce with butternut noodles and chicken fat

Dinner: Scrambled eggs with ghee, carrot soup

Day 18:

Breakfast: Fried eggs with beet leaves and mushrooms, olives

Lunch: Tuna with baked sweet potato and ghee

Dinner: Roast chicken with spices and green beans

Day 19:

Breakfast: Grated vegetable soup (pumpkin, zucchini, carrot), meatballs from freezer with chicken fat

Lunch: Grated soup, spinach olive pepper frittata

Dinner: More grated soup, tuna and homemade mayo

Day 20:

Breakfast: Scrambled eggs, cut up pepper and cucumer, homemade mayo

Lunch: Pan fried chicken breast with potato hash

Dinner: Grilled spiced chicken and lettuce salad with mano and balsamic dressing

Day 21:

Breakfast: Leftover chicken and potatoes, carrot and beet salads

Lunch: Leftover frittata, carrot and beet salads

Dinner: And again, frittata and salads

Day 22:

Breakfast: Leftover pan fried chicken and potatoes, salads

Lunch: Chicken cabbage salad with homemade mayo and leftover balsamic dressing

Dinner: Turkey wing baked with green beans and sweet potatoes

Day 23:

Breakfast: Fried eggs with broccoli and plenty of olive oil

Lunch: Tuna butternut fishcakes with sweet potato wedges

Dinner: Chicken meatballs over zucchini, 1/2 avocado

Time is flying! Had a huge batch of potatoes to use up - so been eating too many. Plan to go to the market tomorrow to get a big selection of fresh veggies.

Day 24:

Breakfast: Fried eggs over green beans with ghee

Lunch: Tuna fishcakes, sautéed greens, homemade mayo

Dinner: White fish in tapicoca, creamy zucchini garlic soup, ghee

Day 25:

Breakfast: Scrambled eggs, zucchini soup, ghee

Lunch: Meat balls and zoodles, 1/2 avocado

Dinner: Zucchini soup, fried eggs, ghee

Day 26:

Breakfast: Scrambled eggs with zoodles, ghee

Lunch: Chicken broth with necks, carrot, onion, zucchini

Dinner: Spicy chicken taco soup

Day 27:

Breakfast: Scrambled eggs with broccoli

Lunch: Turkey stew with carrots, potatoes, onions,  mushrooms

Dinner: Chicken, sweet potatoes, cucumber salad, cabbage salad, banana slices

Day 28:

Breakfast: Egg salad, cucumber salad, salmon, avocado, cabbage salad

Lunch:Chicken, potatoes, carrots, lettuce salad and cucumber salad

Dinner: Avocado, more egg salad, green beans

Day 29:

Breakfast: Fried eggs and green beans

Lunch: Pumpkin soup, chicken wings

Dinner: Pumpkin soup, chicken wings, green beans

Day 30:

Breakfast: Pumpkin soup, sardines and egg salad

Lunch: Scrambled eggs over cabbage

Dinner: Grilled eggplant, zucchini and mushroom chicken sauce

And we're done. Over to the post-Whole30 forum.

Archived