Figuring out to make this a lifestyle

TriGirlD

Had amazing progress on the Whole 30, but it only counts if I can keep it up in some way.  After 2 rounds, and then a slow reintruduction, I had a few days of just totally going off track.  Christmas cookies and chocolates, and way too much food.

So.. now to get the train back on the tracks, and figure out how to make this a lifestyle.  The timetable of 30 days for the Whole30 really worked for me. So I think I'm going to start focusing on 2 weeks at a time. 

Things I'm going to be a little more lax about: restaurant orders/ ensuring the meat is ideal, added sugar to an extent (salad dressings, ketchup, etc).

Things I'm not willing to compromise on: NO SOY, grains, or legumes. 

Lets do this!

• 3 weeks later...

Ok, well, that was kind of a bust. Went home for christmas and ate on plan until one day I had pasta, and then spent the next 3 days eating whatever I wanted.  Sheesh.  I gotta learn on this program how to not let one slip become a week.   Now I"m essentially starting over.  On Day 7 now of being back on track and feeling good.

My plan, Art Fossil, is to stick to paleo eating mainly, with one exception. I am allowing myself to be less careful about dairy at restaurants.  The one thing that made me feel deprived on the Whole30 was feeling like I had to make a scene every time I wanted to order out with friends. And it's mostly dairy that I had to be so careful for.  However, I reintro'd dairy and that was the one food group that did not bother me until I ate it for 2 days in a row.  So if I have a little butter on my chicken, it's not going to derail me.  Might as well give myself this break.

The other exception I'm exploring next week is paleo-style desserts.  Paleo lifestyle adds in honey.  I"m not sure if I want to tempt the sugar dragon yet, as one of my favorite parts about Whole30 is not being controlled by sugar cravings.  But, next week is my birthday, so I ordered some Paleo Treats desserts, and will let myself indulge in that way.  We'll see if it induces cravings for days to come. 

Food This Week:

Day 4/Monday

1) Stuffed Green Pepper

2) Buffalo Chicken Casserole from paleomg.com

3) Blackberries and an Almond Milk Decaf Lattte

4) Thai Chicken Curry and fried plantains

headachey on this day

Day 5/Tuesday

1) Egg and Prosciutto Cups with Broccoli and Tomatoes

2) Buffalo Chicken Casserole and jicama

3) Chocolate Chili Crockpot (Well Fed) with avocado

headachey in morning but not at night. great run in the evening

Day 6/Wednesday

PreW: Mayo and Half an Egg

PostW:1/2 egg, 1/2 sweet potato

1) 1/2 Sweet Potato, 2 Egg Cups, apple

2) Thai Curry Chicken

3) Snack: Banana and Almond Butter

4) Chocolate Chili, Zoodles, and Avocado

headachey all afternoon.

Day 7/Thursday

Yay - no headache and feel great!

1) 2 Egg Cups and 1/2 Acorn Squash with Ghee

2) big salad with chicken (mixed in mustard), apples, dried cranberries. Side of Coconut Chips

3) Baking up some drumsticks for dinner with Franks Red Hot and veggies tonight

Ok, well, that was kind of a bust. 

Unfortunately, this is all too common.  But we learn from each of these experiences -- and if we're really determined to feel better, they make us stronger.

I encourage you to check out the "Sugar Dragon Slayers" thread... if you get tired of that sneaky little sucker.  Lots of good info there about how to really put it to rest.  (Hint: honey is not the answer!)

Don't do the Paleo baking!  Don't don't DON'T!  Do as I say, and not as I did!  I went down that dangerous road for you.  Check out Lauren's Random Reintroductions and read my sad tale of woe, re: Paleo baking.  It leads nowhere good!

^ Lauren, you know that doesn't work.  You said "spare me the I told you so's" and "I had to learn this one on my own".  Remember?   :huh:

But now she's been pointed in TWO good directions, for when she gets really sick of that blankety blank dragon!  

hahaha Lauren and Brewer, I wish I had come back here and read  your responses last weekend!  Anyway, I learned on my own. I ordered the Paleo Treats box, and really, what's the point? They don't fill me up, they don't leave me satisfied the way a good whole meal does, and they are way too tempting to have a box of them sitting in my house.  I had my husband help me finish them, and last night I had the last one as a birthday dessert, and that's it.  Not reordering and not going down that path any further!

On the night we celebrated my birthday, we left the bar (at which I did not drink), and everyone drunkenly walked into this specialty shop in downtown LA called the Pie Hole.  I did not resist well enough, and had half a slice of chocolate pie. So good!

Other than that and my paleo treats here and there, I've been sticking to this and I feel great. I got the cold that everyone in our office had this past month. But my version only lasted for about 3 days, and then I was back to normal.  Yay for healthy eating!

Yesterday:

PWO: half an egg and 5 olives

PWO: half an egg and 1/4 sweet potato

M1) chicken sausage, kraut, broccoli, blackberries

M2) At restaurant - ginger chicken bone broth with a poached egg (asked for it without noodles). May have been sneaky hidden dairy in here - I did not ask.

Snack) Almond Milk Latte as a special treat

M3) Crockpot Chicken Tikka Masala (mmmmm so darn good!!), cauliflower, broccoli

Dessert) Paleo Treats Mustang bar and some tea

Today:

M1) Shredded salsa chicken, 1 sweet potato, ghee, fruit

M2) At restaurant - salad with grilled chicken, a whole avocado, mango slices, and a mustard dressing

M3) More Chicken Tikka Masala, side of green beans.

Looking at this list, I've had a lot of chicken lately. Gotta throw in some beef or fish to mix this up. I have meatloaf on the menu for tomorrow. Anyone have a good recipe?

Someone told me today they're doing no/low carb as a diet plan, but that its too hard to stick to on a regular basis. I wanted to laugh. The thought of carbs being the only restriction just seems like a cake walk at this point.  Try removing dairy, legumes, AND grains, and then come talk to me.  Yet, this all seems so second nature now, it's not that big a deal.  Till tomorrow...

Ladies if you happen to come back, I have a question about RX Bars. I see Melissa pushing them a lot, and its confusing because would these also fall in line with that "paleo treats" idea? How could Mint Chocolate or Chocolate Sea Salt bars be compliant?

I bought some Rx bars to take on vacation with me thinking they might help keep me from eating worse foods.  They are super dense and chewy and not all that great IMO - and they are pricy.  And, if you are trying to stay away from sugar, Rx bars have both dates and dried figs in them - so lots of natural sugar.  I'd stay away.

They're probably being pushed as a compliant emergency food source (as in, you fell down a ravine and haven't been rescued for 8 hours and your hand looks tasty). Epic bars are a more balanced choice, IMO, and come closer to the recommendation of protein and fat and optional carbs for a mini-meal or snack. Rx bars, like Larabars are more likely to provoke the sugar dragon. I'd steer clear, unless I was doing some back country hiking or something. Even then I'd

be more inclined to bring real whole foods vs. a processed Frankenstein food product, compliant or not.

And yes, stay out of Paleo treats!

Ladies if you happen to come back, I have a question about RX Bars. I see Melissa pushing them a lot, and its confusing because would these also fall in line with that "paleo treats" idea? How could Mint Chocolate or Chocolate Sea Salt bars be compliant?

I haven't looked at the ingredients but AFAIK not all the flavours are compliant - certainly anything with chocolate is out - and  they are nolonger actually 'Whole30 approved' (although still compliant as an actual emergency food)

Check out this announcement made by Melissa and Dallas back in June.

My personal opinion has always been that if you can plan for an emergency you can plan to have REAL food.

Hi All,

So, as usual, you all were right.  I got my hands on a few RX bars (I had ordered them the same time as the paleo treats), and won't be ordering anymore.  They are not that good, and when you are used to real food, processed bars just can't satisfy, no matter how good the ingredients are. 

I'm so excited to report that I'm finding some real balance, and am starting to gain confidence that this can be my new lifestyle.  I've stayed completely within my guidelines (totally whole30 except for "added" dairy at restaurants) and the scale has continued to drop and I've been feeling great.  I've been really missing joining my husband and friends in a drink every now and then, and it's not sustainable to think that will never happen.  So last night I had a small glass of tequila, which I sipped on slowly.  I figured this was better than the sugar in a beer or glass of wine.  It was nice to be able to wander from the program for a moment, but not let it throw me into a tailspin of many days of bad eating!

Meals for today:

1) Buffalo Chicken Casserole (w spaghetti squash)

2) 1.5 Sausage links with broccoli and butternut squash

3) Meatballs and green beans

I'd like to do another strict whole30 again soon, and at the end, really test out a few things I did too quickly last time.  Mainly: Dairy and Non Gluten Grains.  I reintro'd dairy and didn't have any problems. But I'd like to try different types of dairy, and try it out over a period of a few days to get the cumulative effect.  Also, I never really tested out non-gluten grains and I'd love to be able to have a corn tortilla once in a great while, and know what it will due to me.  I'm going to get through this month of proving that I can make this into a lifestyle, and then may try this out again.

Hi All,

So, as usual, you all were right.  I got my hands on a few RX bars (I had ordered them the same time as the paleo treats), and won't be ordering anymore.  They are not that good, and when you are used to real food, processed bars just can't satisfy, no matter how good the ingredients are. 

I'm so excited to report that I'm finding some real balance, and am starting to gain confidence that this can be my new lifestyle.  I've stayed completely within my guidelines (totally whole30 except for "added" dairy at restaurants) and the scale has continued to drop and I've been feeling great.  I've been really missing joining my husband and friends in a drink every now and then, and it's not sustainable to think that will never happen.  So last night I had a small glass of tequila, which I sipped on slowly.  I figured this was better than the sugar in a beer or glass of wine.  It was nice to be able to wander from the program for a moment, but not let it throw me into a tailspin of many days of bad eating!

Meals for today:

1) Buffalo Chicken Casserole (w spaghetti squash)

2) 1.5 Sausage links with broccoli and butternut squash

3) Meatballs and green beans

I'd like to do another strict whole30 again soon, and at the end, really test out a few things I did too quickly last time.  Mainly: Dairy and Non Gluten Grains.  I reintro'd dairy and didn't have any problems. But I'd like to try different types of dairy, and try it out over a period of a few days to get the cumulative effect.  Also, I never really tested out non-gluten grains and I'd love to be able to have a corn tortilla once in a great while, and know what it will due to me.  I'm going to get through this month of proving that I can make this into a lifestyle, and then may try this out again.

Congratulations on all your success!

I had one Rx bar (I had ordered some when I started my Whole30 for "emergencies" and the day came when my meal schedule was completely thrown off by external events and I broke open the box. I ranted on my reintroduction log about how vile they are. They are NOT food and I refuse to eat something that isn't food and is a sugar bomb to boot.

I'm on my second month of my reintroduction because I separated groups into subgroups: e.g. cow cheese and goat cheese, beans, legumes and soy separately. I'm close to done with reintroductions and am figuring out what foods to add and with what frequency.

Brewer, glad we're on the same page with the tequila!

I've been waking up so tired this week. I just can't sleep enough. Last week I caught the terrible cold everyone had. Most of my symptoms were gone in just 3/4 days, which I attribute to good eating (everyone else was sick for weeks), but I'm wondering if my body is still fighting the last of it off. 

I think I've been slipping in some extra sugar and dairy and it's starting to creep back in too much, instead of "every now and then," so want to start tracking it.

Ate something that wasn't "strict whole30":

Saturday, no

Sunday, tequila at night

Monday, Yes. Used regular grass-fed butter in my butternut squash at dinner

Tuesday, Yes. The sauce in my meaballs had a little pure maple syrup.  (mixed with a cup of paleo ketchup, 1/2 cup coconut aminos, and spices)

Wednesday, Yes, my salad at work conference was mixed with cheese. I picked out as much as I could. Should have just asked for a new one.

Today, Yes. The sauce I drizzled on the meatballs had maple syrup

I think the syrup was a mistake. I thought I could balance just having a small amount, but now that I'm looking at this list, it's making me understand why on Wednesday I was having such strong sugar cravings. It only takes a little bit to awake the sleeping dragon.

Back at it!

Archived