starting again...

thenewdrl

Hello everyone!

was hoping someone can help me out here...

I tried doing a whole30 before...was doing it all wrong though...due to medical problems and carb (sugar) cravings and weight gain...i  decided i must attempt this again the right way and complete it. 

breakfast: 3 eggs fried in avocado or coconut oil 

half an avocado

sauteed spinach, mushrooms and onions and sometimes zucchini

coffee with canned approved coconut milk

lunch: salad or soup or both

half an avocado (will start making mayo instead maybe)

around 1/3 a lb of lean turkey meat 

dinner: salmon

half an avocado

sauteed/ grilled in oil veggies 

chunky veggie soup

snack: if needed snack on cut up carrots and cucumbers

this is how i plan on eating throughout my whole30. i plan on omitting friuts and high sugar/carb vegetables because i am not ready at this moment to eat these in moderation. need to slay the sugar dragon first. 

does this seem like enough food? 

too much avocado?

i cant do nuts right now either...I need to work on moderation.

is the coconut milk not allowed anymore in coffee? i have been reading so many people only having it black...

also i have a work dinner at a nice restuarant on Monday night. I want to allow myself to eat something whole30 compliant. its a steakhouse. Can i order a plain steak? 

thank you for your help and guidance and encouragement!

Welcome back!

From what you listed, it's not clear whether you're getting enough vegetables and protein in at each meal.  
- The egg quantity is good. Otherwise, the protein recommendation is 1-2 palm-sized amounts per meal (where a palm is the length, width and thickness of the palm of your hand).
- The vegetable recommendation is 1-3 cups per meal. When you're having salad or greens, eat a huge mixing bowl's worth, as the volume compresses dramatically when eating.

For best results, you want to have your first meal within an hour of waking, and build meals that satiate you for 4-5 hours. Until you get there, if you genuinely get hungry in between (litmus test: you could eat something bland like steamed fish and broccoli), the recommendation is to have a mini meal of protein, carb and fat, or at least two of those components.

With respect to your other questions:
- you don't have to eat nuts on a Whole30. If you do, they are a fat and recommended to be limited.
- yes, coconut milk in coffee is fine. Some folks just prefer it black.
- on the avocado, you might want to limit it to closer to 1 avocado a day. 
- on dining out, steak could be a safe bet. Ideally, request it dry-grilled with only salt and pepper for seasonings. If they can't do that, confirm that whatever cooking fat they use is compliant.  Steer away from sauces.  You might also find this article to be helpful. 

thank you for your detailed, quick and kind response. 

my salads are usually a family size serving bowl full of colors. dressed with oil. 

also in lieu of a half an avocado i have not these 100 calorie avocados that are compliant. and i will make mayo so i can switch it up. 

i will check that they dry grill it or use compliant oil.

in regards to my protein sizes...i try to eat about 6 ounces of salmon and turkey or chicken...but when i am feeling more hungry i will eat more.

i have soup always ready its just vegetables and water and spices...i count this toward my vegetable allotment. 

im only on day 4 (im jewish so i dont celebrate Chirstmas anyway- no tempting foods for me until passover) 

i believe in the whole30 progress...and i am begging my friends and family to do this with me but everyone has another excuse...so i am doing it alone and this first week has been tough!

in regards to my protein sizes...i try to eat about 6 ounces of salmon and turkey or chicken...but when i am feeling more hungry i will eat more.

i have soup always ready its just vegetables and water and spices...i count this toward my vegetable allotment. 

im only on day 4 (im jewish so i dont celebrate Chirstmas anyway- no tempting foods for me until passover) 

i believe in the whole30 progress...and i am begging my friends and family to do this with me but everyone has another excuse...so i am doing it alone and this first week has been tough!

6 oz of protein may or may not be enough for you (and don't weigh your food while on a Whole30).  Truly, use the 1-2 palm-sized amount as a guideline, along with how well your portions satiate you.

On the soup for veggies, it's tricky to get 3 cups worth of veggies in a soup serving - just be sure you're getting in enough veggies in each meal.

I applaud you for taking on a Whole30 solo - keep posting here for support as needed.

Ghee is the equivalent of clarified butter that you can purchase.

That being said, it's quite easy to make your own clarified butter.  Here are the steps I follow.

According to Alton Brown, technically ghee is browned clarified butter while clarified butter is not browned. :-)

http://altonbrown.com/clarified-butter-and-ghee-recipes/

how important is it to exercise? i used to do kickboxing but I think it is causing my body more harm than help...I have adrenal and thyroid problems. i like to walk when i can...

You don't have to exercise, but you might feel better if you do. A lot of people struggle in the first week, so don't be mean to yourself.

Kickboxing and high intensity workouts aren't good for everyone, if it's not making you feel good, stick with the walking :)

Today is day 17 for me. I dont plan to stop at day 30, as I have many health problems that I would like to repair as well as pounds to drop. I have been so so so tired. I am wondering if I am eating too  much. I know this may sound silly, but palm size protein...does that include your fingers? For example: I will eat a slice of salmon, I dont have a clue as to how many ounces it is. its always a different size. I buy it from the fish store already cut. Some days one slice is enough, other days, I still find myself hungry so I will help myself to another. I can easily go 4-5 hours without food. I only eat three times a day. I really need to lose weight. I am not starving ever. sometimes I feel like I ate too much. 

My daily meals look like this:

Breakfast:

3 eggs cooked in coconut oil

1/2 avocado

2-3 cups of veggies sauteed in coconut oil

coconut cream from can of coconut in my coffee

Lunch:

salmon (as mentioned above)

1/2 avocado

3 cups of veggies sauteed in coconut oil

Dinner:

Chicken (sometimes cooked in oil, sometimes just grilled) 

3 cups of veggies sauteed in coconut oil

vegetable soup

Do you think I am eating too much?? 

My sleep has been pretty terrible as of late. I have been waking up in middle of the night and unable to fall back asleep right away. 

How should I be eating for weight loss? 

I drink about 15 cups of water a day, usually more. 

I have been way too tired to walk or do yoga and these are the only exercises i plan on doing until I heal my adrenals. 
Any input is welcome.

Thank you.

• Moderators

Sounds like you are doing just fine. Your meals look great! The palm to two palm sized portions means the width, length, depth of your palm, but it doesn't have to be exact. And eating more when you are hungrier that day is also just fine.

How's your caffeine intake? You may want to cut back if you are having sleep and adrenal issues. At the very least, don't drink any beyond noon. I personally went half caf, then 1/4 caf, then eventually to swiss water processed decaf and have never looked back.

• Administrators

The tired could be a combo from the poor overnight sleep and adrenal issues that you mention.  Try messing around with starchy veggies; it's not clear if you are eating any.  If you are, you could try moving them to your third meal as that can help with sleep.  Try upping or lowering them.  If you are not eating any, start.  If you are eating quite a bit of them, try reducing.

Do you take a magnesium supplement? The majority of people are magnesium deficient so a supplement is well worth it and can help with sleep (and pooping if that's an issue for you).  Natural Calm is what is normally recommended (the plain one) but some of our members and moderators take other brands/formulations.

Also you could check out these two articles on sleep hygiene and make sure you're giving yourself the best possible shot at a good night of sleep.

http://whole9life.com/2014/09/improve-your-sleep/

http://whole9life.com/2014/09/improve-sleep-quality/

Sounds like you are doing just fine. Your meals look great! The palm to two palm sized portions means the width, length, depth of your palm, but it doesn't have to be exact. And eating more when you are hungrier that day is also just fine.

How's your caffeine intake? You may want to cut back if you are having sleep and adrenal issues. At the very least, don't drink any beyond noon. I personally went half caf, then 1/4 caf, then eventually to swiss water processed decaf and have never looked back.

Thank you. I definitely feel changes- for one my skin is almost clear fingers crossed! my moods are much more stable.

As for coffee- I really try not to have more than one a day! I am looking for a substitute but havent found anything appealing. Open to suggestions. I can try half caf but need a recommendation.

The tired could be a combo from the poor overnight sleep and adrenal issues that you mention.  Try messing around with starchy veggies; it's not clear if you are eating any.  If you are, you could try moving them to your third meal as that can help with sleep.  Try upping or lowering them.  If you are not eating any, start.  If you are eating quite a bit of them, try reducing.

Do you take a magnesium supplement? The majority of people are magnesium deficient so a supplement is well worth it and can help with sleep (and pooping if that's an issue for you).  Natural Calm is what is normally recommended (the plain one) but some of our members and moderators take other brands/formulations.

Also you could check out these two articles on sleep hygiene and make sure you're giving yourself the best possible shot at a good night of sleep.

http://whole9life.com/2014/09/improve-your-sleep/

http://whole9life.com/2014/09/improve-sleep-quality/

Yes, that could very well be why I am tired. I am not eating starchy veggies right now. Just broccoli, zucchini, carrots, maybe some parsnip in soup, onions, the occasional string bean, spinach, mushrooms etc and the occasional fresh salad. 

I recently started taking a magnesium supplement in pill form as I have crazy migraines that last for weeks (going on week 7) i take about 5 times my weight in mgs. I have the natural calm but i have yet to take it regularly. 

I will check out the articles, thank you for your guidance.

Yes, that could very well be why I am tired. I am not eating starchy veggies right now. Just broccoli, zucchini, carrots, maybe some parsnip in soup, onions, the occasional string bean, spinach, mushrooms etc and the occasional fresh salad. 

I recently started taking a magnesium supplement in pill form as I have crazy migraines that last for weeks (going on week 7) i take about 5 times my weight in mgs. I have the natural calm but i have yet to take it regularly. 

I will check out the articles, thank you for your guidance.

Oh absolutely add in a sweet potato or something for your third meal to start, see how you feel. Some people need that much with each meal.

My naturopath also recommends no coffee for adrenal issues, as it hijacks part of the body's normal behavior.

I've switched to tea and I'm logging all of my tea this Whole30, as it took me a long time to find compliant ones I like (I like fruity teas, not black teas).

I would wait to ditch the coffee completely though, until you're feeling a bit better. It usually brings a headache for me, so wean yourself off slowly.

I love roasted sweet potatoes, pan fried sweet potatoes, pumpkin in red curry, pumpkin soup, zucchini noodles and zucchini soup (zucchini is a bit less starchy, so add other starchy veggies as well).

Oh absolutely add in a sweet potato or something for your third meal to start, see how you feel. Some people need that much with each meal.

My naturopath also recommends no coffee for adrenal issues, as it hijacks part of the body's normal behavior.

I've switched to tea and I'm logging all of my tea this Whole30, as it took me a long time to find compliant ones I like (I like fruity teas, not black teas).

I would wait to ditch the coffee completely though, until you're feeling a bit better. It usually brings a headache for me, so wean yourself off slowly.

I love roasted sweet potatoes, pan fried sweet potatoes, pumpkin in red curry, pumpkin soup, zucchini noodles and zucchini soup (zucchini is a bit less starchy, so add other starchy veggies as well).

So I am avoiding starchy vegetables right now as they are weird as it sounds food without breaks to me. Can't do portion control and my sugar Dragon comes alive. I don't feel like I need the carbs right now as I'm not doing any exercise. Maybe when I start exercising I will reassess.

I have problem. I am really in need of losing weight. I totally over ate today. Too much protein at lunch and dinner. And it was steak. I couldn't imagine eating another egg, chicken or fish...was craving meat so I bought some. Vegetables are also sounding pretty grotesque at the moment. What to do? Skip or Ford yourself?

I'm falling off my face at 8:30 every night and I work an office job. I do walk to and from work twice a day but that wouldn't tire a person out.

Help please.

I really think you need to add in some starchy veg, it's why you're so tired. You don't need to go for sweet potatoes, there's parsnips, carrots, beetroot, zucchini, asparagus, pumpkin. If you're worried about portion control, pick one you like less (not your favourite - but not one you hate).

Try having your starchy veg at breakfast or lunch and see how you feel at night.

Nausea and no portion control can be signs of both deficiencies and hormone imbalance. The starchy veg is essential for some people to maintain healthy hormones. Some people even need three serves a day.

Try it, just for one day and see how you feel.

I really think you need to add in some starchy veg, it's why you're so tired. You don't need to go for sweet potatoes, there's parsnips, carrots, beetroot, zucchini, asparagus, pumpkin. If you're worried about portion control, pick one you like less (not your favourite - but not one you hate).

Try having your starchy veg at breakfast or lunch and see how you feel at night.

Nausea and no portion control can be signs of both deficiencies and hormone imbalance. The starchy veg is essential for some people to maintain healthy hormones. Some people even need three serves a day.

Try it, just for one day and see how you feel.

So I eat parsnip and carrots and zucchini in my soup...wouldn't that be enough? I have about 2-3 bowls a day. Maybe too much?

And yes I have hormone imbalance, I am trying to correct it through whole30. I have been very very good about portion control with my meats and fats usually, I do let myself have all the vegetables though. I can only handle cooked vegetables right now. Today I just wanted more meat and more salmon. Oy. What's gonna be with me. I want to do this properly and well.

Archived