9 Belfast Bites

jmcbn

If you can find dried hibiscus flowers, throwing a dried flower in per bottle also gives awesome fizz and depending on how many you use, a drier end product.

Thanks Shanny - this is great to know, and something I'll definitely try - I should be able to get these at one of the local weekend markets... 

• Replies 731
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Chancellor George Osborne has unveiled a tax on the makers of sugary soft drinks to tackle childhood obesity...

He said the £530m raised would be spent on boosting school sports.

Now if he'd also tax junk foods & sweets/candies that would truly be progress.

Taxing the manufacturers is coming at the problem from the wrong end.  Casting businesses as villains is just pandering to the masses. And the fact that it doesn't apply to fruit juices shows there is absolutely no science behind it at all.

Taxing the manufacturers is coming at the problem from the wrong end.  Casting businesses as villains is just pandering to the masses. And the fact that it doesn't apply to fruit juices shows there is absolutely no science behind it at all.

It's a start though kirkor, from a Government who are trying to win back popularity from the public. I agree fruit juices are just as bad, if not worse, than many soft drinks but we have to start somewhere....

I had a dream last night.  Once in a blue moon kind of thang.  I'm sending you a smoke signal.  

Remember your 1st Whole 30,  I had the wildest, vivid dreams.   WD30 folkaronies shared and interpreted. Symbolic or literal,  it was so much fun.  Taken at face value or deeper meanings,  no one was eating pizza.   ;) 

I knew there was extra fizz in those booch bottles.  You can just tell that they're all jacked UP. :D 

Do you have special plans for tomorrow.   Any celebrations or parades?    Bear says it's time to plant taters. 

He wants to know if you are.   Your Irish mojo is going to be kicking in sooner than ours.  He reads your log along with me.  You're his fave, too.   He's always telling me to write this or that. He wanted to start visiting but that would get out of hand.  

If he does, you'll know.  He won't use all of the colors of the rainbow.   I don't think it would be prudent as his sense of humor is off-the-hook.   I cannot be held responsible for that.

Okay, Bear wants to know.  Is it true that your cows only eat grass?  How can that be? There ain't enough grass in all of Ireland to feed that many cows to provide all of the KGold Butter we eat over here.   He wants to know.   

One more question for today.   Bear says,  she's probably eating dinner right now.  Let the girl eat her meal in peace.  But, he wants to know about hunting seasons.  Do you even have them, are you allowed to harvest deer and rabbits?    That is all.  

I would LOVE for Bear to visit!!  :D 

I won't be planting spuds personally but many folk will be - they say that early planting should be done between mid-March to mid-April.

We have a protected crop close by and they'll be harvested a lot earlier than most other crops as they're sheltered by the Mountains & protected from frost by the Lough (or Loch or Lake depending on where in the country you are!)

Tomorrow will be a study day for me - both boys are at school until midday so we'll maybe go for a walk in the Great Outdoors in the afternoon if the weather is anything like it has been for the last few days... We won't be drinking anything green though  ;)  :P 

He can use my name to visit if he signs his name.  No green beer here.   :P  :P  :P He'll await for your replies.   He wants to tell you that he's never been on a diet in his entire life.  Not a single one.   He grew up on a dairy farm with fields of vegetables.  A country boy can survive.

Ok, hunting seasons.... I only know a little about this because my Boss is big into it and I get involved with organising the shoots.

Rabbits are considered pests and can be hunted all year round, as can hare. Weirdly I've never eaten rabbit here, although rabbit stew was fairly commonplace on the menu in Greece.

Deer, and Game season is pretty much Autumn through to Spring - Deer starts late August through to April, with the Game season slightly shorter from September through to the end of January depending on the breed. No shooting on a Sunday or Christmas Day though, and no shooting between one after sunset & one hour before sunrise.

I was driving to work over the 'back road' one day and a deer ran out from a wooded estate in front of my car & into someone's garden on the other side of the road. I've driven on that road for years and always seen the deer warning sign posts but that was the first one I ever actually saw - it was like some kind of HIIT training the way my heart was racing!!  :o  :P

Tick problems in dogs? Yep.... the world over I imagine...

We  all kissed the Blarney Stone last year - it's quite the climb and I thought my boys would back out at the last minute, but they were well up for it!

This shot was taken on the way up all those steps...

2015-07-25%2014.36.02.jpg

And this one was taken down at the bottom....

2015-07-25%2013.42.40.jpg

Copasinki coinkydinks.  I really like that photo coming down.  I remember the climb.  What a place.  I dream about Ireland all of the time.   It's ancient.  It's primal.   Once you go, you can't ever unsee all of that green in your mind's eye.

The shimmering diamonds on the green when the sun shines through the raindrops.  The rainbows and the people.  Of all  the places I've visited, the Irish were the kindest people on earth.   They took me in.  I went to their dances and danced until the morning.  I walked down the dirt roads and Ireland is my favorite country away from home.

c4b4f2e5fec962318644cf04ecb5c34d.jpg

The grounds there are beautiful.

That said all of Ireland is beautiful - every shore, every mountain, every forest, every ruin... I'm very grateful to live here, even if it is somewhat damp!!  :blink:

^ Ha!! Very true!!

It's amazing the number of people who claim Irish Ancestry and then go on to ask if I know 'Sean' like Ireland is a Village.... My tip for anyone who gets asked this when working in a Bar? Nod enthusiastically and regale the tourist with some wild tale of some daft thing you & 'Sean' got up to as kids, such as painting your neighbours cabbages orange or the like.... You'll get great tips!!  ;)  :D

Hilarious.  ROFLMIAO.  You know what,  I'm thinking that Blarney Stone gift of gab really kicked in today.

kissing-the-blarney-stone.jpg

I don't know what tomorrow may bring.

The only way to really know is take a DNA test.  I highly recommend it.  No guessing or surmising.   You're either Irish or you're not.   If you're only 2%, you're 98% something else.  It's like 80/20,  90/10 Paleo.   How in the world can you figure that out without a meter, app or gadget.  You can't.   You're guessing.   

Yesterday was a day fo comfort eating. And when I say comfort I don't mean I took a nose dive into a tub of Ben & Jerrys.... I ate foods that were easy on  the gut - scrambled eggs, mashed poatto, roasted chicken with home made mayo, bone broth, cool cucumbers.......

Today I've got my Game face on and I'll be giving that Curry another bashing.

But first.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DXifIS5pBi4

Happy St Patrick's Day everyone!!

Archived