9 Belfast Bites

jmcbn

Country boys and girls can survive.  Works for fish, too.  Anything, roasted vege prep.  The sky is not the limit.

My other tip.  Put dry paper towels in with your lettuce and vege.  Keeps them from wilting, will last longer in the fridge.

• Replies 731
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I got a text message today from a company I haven't used in over a year telling me about their amazing sale on protein powders. I forwarded the message on to a friend of mine who relies mainly on eggs for protein and who hates to spend money on anything but her bike - on which she puts in hundreds of miles each week, in between spin classes.

This time last year I was in awe of this girl who had thighs to rival Sir Chris Hoy's, this girl who was highly skilled at martial arts, and who was so driven & focused in everything she did.

During this past twelve months though I've witnessed her demise (& attempted many times to intervene) as she tweaked & tweaked & tweaked her diet until the point where now she survives on a limited selection of raw fruit (around 6 portions a day) low fat fromage frais, plain cheerios measured out in to the empty fromage frais containers & steeped in water so that they go to mush & expand before they enter her body, and the odd egg thrown in for good measure. Her lycra no longer has to stretch to cover her thighs, her hair is falling out, her skin is permanently broken out, her body is skeletal whilst her stomach is bloated & swollen from the belly button down like she's had a hard session out on the beers, and she recently passed out in the gym showers - hitting her head on the glass shower door & splitting it open but insisting no one call an ambulance because she knew she'd be admitted to hospital.

This girl was an absolute machine, and yet instead of treating her body with the respect that it deserved she made the mistake of fuelling that machine with sub-power fuel & her performance is now suffering, as is her health. Muscle is eating muscle because there is no fat or protein available to recover and repair from, or to sustain her activity levels.

Sugar can only take a person so far. After that you're running on empty.

fuelgoodfeelgood.jpeg

In other news my food prep is done, the school uniforms are ready (along with the school bags, school shoes, & PE kits), my gym sessions for the week are all planned out & we are good to go.

In the words of Davina McCall.................. "FODMAPs - I'm coming to get you!!"  :D

My hope is that she reaches out to you for help before it's too late.   She needs a friend like you.

I've offered my help many times. I've sent her links to read on sports nutrition, offered her my course notes. I enlisted the help of one of the PTs she holds in high esteem, and spoke to an old (non gym/cycling) friend of hers to try & rally support from elsewhere... The short story is though that she needs to WANT help.

I gave her the last of my powders & bars when I first started here thinking at least those would fuel/nourish her a little & maybe she'd want to continue on with them. She used them up but thought that BCAAs would be a better option once they were done (less calorific content no doubt) but then thought them too pricey so chose to take nothing.

I'd obviously rather see her eat whole foods, but maybe the link in the text today will give her a nudge in the right direction...

She's living on fruit.   I worked with an anorexic coworker who lived on boxed cereal and fruit.  She would carry a bag of apples and a box of  special 'kay' with her for a business trip.  That's what she lived on for several days.

I always spent every dime of my per diem bucks.  You are correct.  They have to want help. 

jmcbn, do you poke your potatoes and sausages?  

Bear frowns upon poking either one of them.  It ruins the sausages on the grill.   Never poke. We do bake sweet/white/purple potatoes on kosher coarse salt.  Use it for baking squashes, too.  It creates the perfect environment for them.   No poking or pinching allowed.  

I know you're going after FODMAP's.    What's your game.  I know you have a plan.  

jmcbn, do you poke your potatoes and sausages?  

Bear frowns upon poking either one of them.  It ruins the sausages on the grill.   Never poke. We do bake sweet/white/purple potatoes on kosher coarse salt.  Use it for baking squashes, too.  It creates the perfect environment for them.   No poking or pinching allowed.  

I know you're going after FODMAP's.    What's your game.  I know you have a plan.  

No poking in this camp. I never understood that - surely it lets all the goodness out?

As for my plan... The plan is to trial the fructans first, starting with those that I *think* will cause me the least digestive stress.

This is obviously because:

1) I don't like digestive distress

2) I think this is the best approach to widen my options.

I'll do one a week per food (re-excluding the ones I've already tried), with one portion a day, every other day. Once I've done all of the fructans I'd like to be able to eat I'll stick with eating those for a few weeks further, combining a little or upping the quantities to see how I go. Then once I've a fair idea of what fructans I can handle and how much I'll move onto the polyols - I don't hold out just so much hope for those bad boys though....

Ok.

School run done.

Pre WO done.

Gym session done.

Post WO done.

Meal one done - the high FODMAP foods that effect me most make me bloat within 5mins or so and the bloat doesn't settle again usually until the next morning. The ones that are REALLY bad cause cramping, gas, bloating, a feeling of being absolutely STUFFED, and yet weirdly I still feel like I could eat more - probably because they're so slow to digest.

Meal one was done about 15mins ago - so far, so good.

Incidentally whilst I was finishing up on the Stairmaster at the gym I noticed one of the morning news/lifestyle programmes talking about a new free app available where you can scan the bar code on packaged goods and it will tell you the number of sugar cubes in it - the idea is that most people can't equate the grams listed to an actual physical amount but every knows the size of a sugar cube since it's common to have one or two in a mug of tea. So for mothers especially buying lunch box items for kids they can see immediately how many cubes of sugar there are per yoghurt/drink/cereal bar etc.

>Here's a link to the news article on the BBC website<

Following your experiment with interest. I could do with doing similar, but I need to deal with my post Christmas SUGAR issues first. I noticed that when I east leftovers for breakfast and / or lunch as well as dinner I have more bloating and digestive misery. My dinner meals tend to contain more onion, garlic etc - if I prepare plainer food for breakfast and lunch I fare better. Off to download that FODMAP chart ..

I just finished listening to an excellent program about bone broth.   Bone broth is being used as a healer for all kinds of gut problems.  Primarily the 'leaky gut' and thyroid, especially Hashimoto's.   I knew this when I started the Whole 30.  Higs taught me the value of bone broth and making the 2 day kind and definitely not chicken stock.  You and Higs would get along great in the kitchen.  She's a natural chef.  She taught me how to make balsamic reductions, too.  

jmcbn,  I plan to make make whopping boatloads of bone broth for the coming year.  It's a healer.  I know you use choice bones from your butcher.    The doctor called it a 'Bone Broth Block' reset.   

That's exactly what I will do as a New Year's Bone Broth Reset.   Ooooo, yeah, BeeBee.  I make individual servings and store immediately in my freezer.  Take one out and reheat on stove burner.  Would never put in the micro after 2 days of babying on the stove.

I add fresh ginger or lemon, cayenne...all kinds of flavors for variety.   Bone Broth,  I know that's one of your tools and it's definitely been one of mine.   It heals the thyroid, too.   It's being using for all kinds of autoimmune problems.

23951976_m_broth_web-6c9cbf55.jpeg?ver=1

Bone Broth is exciting.  A  WD30 member went to New York City to the famous bone broth joint.   She said it was heavenly.  She lived on it while she was there.    

Bone Broth goes bone deep,  down to the bare bones.   I can't think of a more wonderful food for healing.

Brodo-2.jpg

Using bone broth to heal the gut is the beginning of all things great to come.  You can't heal a stomach or brain with refined carbs.  

I don't believe in over-restriction.  Slow and steady wins the race.  It may take months and months of real whole foods before anyone kicks their health UP a few notches.   Staying the course with bone broth, all things real and whole under the sun, variety of every kind like you advocate is the cure. 

Over-restriction always comes with a course correction.  It's usually a negative one, a downward spiral and the strange thing is...it's not the good foods that are longed for but all of the refined carbs that got you in the wrong place to begin with.

Noooo.  Ooooo noooo.  Do not do it.  Stay the course.   Eat real meals every single day and heal your body, mind and leaky gut.   I don't want my guts leaking out on the ground every time I walk....I don't want to squeak.    You need bone broth to fuel  UP your internal combustion engine.   It is a healer. 

Well today seems to have gone (thankfully) just as I'd hoped - no discernable bloating and no gastrointestinal issues at all. I'd have called it a success an hour or so after meal one, but wanted to just see how I would feel by around 17:30 when I sometimes train depending on my work/kids schedule - if I'd have felt in any way uncomfortable so as not be able to squat at that time of day it'd have been a fail - and believe me there have been occasions in the past when I've had to walk away from the bar. 

I feel so good though that I'm inclined to try the kraut again tomorrow morning. If I try again & don't feel just so good tomorrow then I'll know going forward that one serving in one day is as much as I can handle & then my system needs a break. I'll think on it though - I'm wary of pushing the boundaries so soon.

Sauerkraut portion no2 in the bag.

I very nearly didn't bother considering the green tea with lemon that I necked this morning before heading out on the school run seemed to cause some heart burn, but I pushed through, got my workout done, and by the time I got in from the gym I was feeling much better.

I have to say I was sorely disappointed when I heard that my Christmas leave didn't completely overlap with kids school holiday but I am LOVING having a few days to myself to get the house back to normal & to get in some extra training. That said I was convinced the gym would be empty during the day so where on earth did all these people come from?? Luckily for me they appear to be mostly cardio/class fiends so I had the weights room pretty much to myself the entire time - bliss.

• Whole30 Certified Coach

That said I was convinced the gym would be empty during the day so where on earth did all these people come from?? Luckily for me they appear to be mostly cardio/class fiends so I had the weights room pretty much to myself the entire time - bliss.

It is January 5th.  Wait until February - they'll all be gone :)

It is January 5th.  Wait until February - they'll all be gone :)

LOL Yes, a combination of that and the off-peak members apparently - most of them were in the over 60 bracke - and good on them for staying so activet! That & the fully made up yummy mummy brigade driving their 4x4s around suburbia from their homes to their kids schools, & on to the gym & then on to the coffee shops.....  :rolleyes: 

Pushing the boundaries.   My limit is green tea and lemon, too.    

My immediate family has quit the coffee.  Goodness sakes alive, their acid reflux probs are disappearing within weeks.  The constant cough (reflux) is going away.  Black coffee and black tea.  No can do.  The consequences are not worth it.   Kraut Kudos...you know how to listen to your body and are a pro.

Isn't that what the Whole 30 is all about.   Learning how to listen to the internal cues without any distractions.   Honed in and in the zone.  There's no app or meter that can do that for you without messing up our relationship with food.  

It's not complicated.   Feed a cold and starve a fever.   Nope.  Going hungry has never been shown to lower a temperature or fight infection.  Food gives the body energy and nutrients to heal.

Whole 30.  You only need 30 days to carefully police every morsel that passes through the lips to determine that kraut or coffee is not for you.    After 30 days,  its about easing our transition from food reset to food sanity.

The body knows when all of the biomarkers have shifted in the right direction.

Well my biomarkers appear to have shifted enough to tolerate sauerkraut two days in a row  :)

Again no bloating, no gas, no discernable symptoms at any time during the day and into the evening which may have effected my training schedule.

I won't be testing for a third day tomorrow as I do actually have a training session planned both am & pm, followed by an early doors session the following morning and I don't want to miss out for the sake of a third portion of kraut. Testing will resume at some point on Thursday - most likely meal two.

Busy little day today with school runs, homeworks, chess club & gymnastics club and with putting away the Christmas decorations. We have a little family tradition that the candle we set out for the first advent will remain in place until the Epiphany tomorrow, and then it's onwards & upwards, back to work, and into the New Year with gusto.

Archived