sitting exams

the craic was ninety 

Back to the proverbial porridge

We need to hang out so I can hear you say all these things in person :D

• Replies 731
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 1/5/2017 at 8:14 AM, J9er said:

The problem is, I work out in my basement and my equipment is limited. I have a good set of adjustable dumbbells, a couple kettlebells, Swiss ball, bosu ball. I don't have a proper doorframe for a pull up apparatus so I use bands although I am really not getting a lot of benefit from them anymore. I do have a barbell rack with a few weights and would be willing to expand that a little if needed but I can't do anything overhead with it right now because our ceilings are too low. I can do deadlifts and squats though. Do you think I could do Steph's program with that stuff? 

You could do barbell rows off the ground or inverted rows off the rack, which would get you a horizontal pull if not a vertical pull, but at least you're still working lats.  Also dumbell rows with the kettlebell would be good.

Wowzer. Called into my favourite local Polish food store for fresh supplies of sauerkraut on Monday and picked up some beet coleslaw that I spotted. There are a couple of 'questionable' ingredients, but the only non-whole30 ingredient is sugar, and it's way down on the list, but this stuff tastes AMAZING. I mean, like, I can't put it down amazing. I keep reading the label to see if there's MSG or something in there, but no, it just tastes really good! It's pretty much shredded lightly boiled beets & mayo (which appears to be made with only yolk), but it is absolutely my new favourite thing.

Incidentally, the kraut I bought this week was half the price of my last tub (£1.25 for a kilo tub for the UK folks amongst us - which is nothing). They obviously just get what they can in terms of fresh food from their supplier so they don't always have the same things in stock. My last batch of kraut for instance was £2.50 for a kilo and had cranberries in it. This one is shredded much more finely and has some chopped up gherkins in there too. They have various types of smoked/cured fish available, and I spotted a great value pack of chorizo style sausage this week too - until now most of their pork meat that I've seen has had gluten in it.

My point being that these places are little treasure coves of tasty, interesting, healthy foods - just be sure to bring a magnifying glass with you, because with them being imports the ingredients labels are in multiple languages and can be hard to read!! Or just make friends with the sales assistants as they're much faster at translating from the original!! ;)

13 minutes ago, jmcbn said:

Incidentally, the kraut I bought this week was half the price of my last tub (£1.25 for a kilo tub for the UK folks amongst us - which is nothing). They obviously just get what they can in terms of fresh food from their supplier so they don't always have the same things in stock. My last batch of kraut for instance was £2.50 for a kilo and had cranberries in it. This one is shredded much more finely and has some chopped up gherkins in there too. They have various types of smoked/cured fish available, and I

I found kraut the other day. It was R125 for 350g. Which is approximately a million pounds (or, more accurately, about £7). I left it there. Seems Africans don't go for fermented cabbage, oddly enough.

18 minutes ago, GoJo09 said:

Which is approximately a million pounds

:lol:

That's more like what you'd pay for kimchi here. Thankfully I met a Polish girl at a food/craft market . She is living here, married to a farmer, and makes her own ferments & she holds classes to teach about kombucha brewing & fermentation. She exchanges kimchi (or home-made syrups which I haven't tried yet) for my spare SCOBYs - win win!

It's pretty easy to make your own, but with working/cooking/parenting etc it's hard to fit it all in..... 

1 hour ago, jmcbn said:

It's pretty easy to make your own, but with working/cooking/parenting etc it's hard to fit it all in..... 

I have a pretty tiny kitchen, and even smaller interest in attempting it for a second time (the first time I ended up with salty cabbage...) :) 

• Whole30 Certified Coach

InstantPot tip: buy a second sealing ring.  They get stinky if you do lots of savory dishes :(  I tried the steam a lemon trick, the soak in oxiclean trick... nothing worked buy buying a new one.  

Have you thought about joining farmers only dot com? :D I'm here to tell you that they would scoop you up in a micro sec.  Pick one with a really, really big spread.  Like a rancher. Herd animals, enormous kitchen, cookin' and a cleanin', barn animals.  Baby chicks, goats, geese, dogs, cats and kids. I can see it! :lol:

When I was in Ireland I went to a local farmer/rancher's dance.  I stayed up all night long and danced myself happy.  I will never forget how much fun it was. It was one of the best times I had in Europe.

The dinner was similar to the milkcan dinners we have here during fair and rodeo seasons. Wonderful food and swilling rootbeers.  Everyone was bellying up to the counter for a rootbeer. Nicest bunch of 'peoples'. They were so good to me. 

It was magic.  The feeling was magical and mystical and other worldly. I felt like I had stepped into another time.   

Ha! The mum of the guy who owns the Farmer's Shop were I buy all my produce has said the same thing. She says she wishes she had another son she could marry me off to, but that she knows plenty of eligible men & she'll find me a good one. I'm fussy (part of my problem according to my friends), but a farmer who could cook would be kind of like heaven....!! And I hear they know how to party.... ;):D

Ima preachin' to the choir now. You know they know how to party!  I danced almost every dance. 

Doing the Irish stomp is so similar to the way they dance in Louisiana and Tennessee and Kentucky and the Carolinas, Texas and the Wild, Wild, West. That's why it felt so familiar because the collective we/us/them took it from YOU.  We cabbaged onto your culture and tradition, brought it here and you know where the hillbilly comes from.  Sure you do.  Farmers only dot com.  :D

15 minutes ago, MeadowLily said:

hillbilly

Billy (short for William, King Billy, 'Billy Boys' meaning Ulster Protestants) from the Hills..... that phrase was coined from the Irish immigrants living on the cheap land in the (mostly) Appalachian hills.

That's why our music and your folk  music are so intertwined.

It really is a small world.

Pardon me, but I need to bounce something off of your head.  Do you think Ireland is really the Garden of Eatin'?  I know they're always looking for it in 'Turkey' (yummmm), but what if Ireland is the authentic Garden of Eatin'.   Emerald Isle and fields of green, green, green.  The green grass of home.

Irish peoples are some of the oldest peoples on the face of earth.  Just like my paleopeoples and truer words were never spoken, you said it.  We are intertwined.  And when I went there, I literally felt like I was home.  Why is that. I can't explain it but in some way,  we really do know each other. Waaaay back when.  Maybe 1000's and 1000's of years ago.  All of us. So your dances are similar to my dances and culture, traditions.  Just needed to throw that out there. 

Any maybe, just maybe when the land masses were configured differently, we were all connected. Friends and neighbors.  Having a big ole time together and somehow.....the countries were all separated. I'm really, really grateful for Ireland.  It's extra special, I know that much. 

As you know we visited some old (neolithic) burial grounds in Ireland last Easter - dating back to 3200 BC. The kerb stones had ancient etchings on them - I posted pics of some of them here. Our guide told us there is a belt of similar burial grounds/chambers across the globe, and that the etchings were similar in nature to that of the Aztecs & the Native Americans. In Greece, the Acropolis & other similar archeaological sites date back only to 5 BC and there are no similar etchings there. For me the Garden is either somewhere along that belt.... so starting in Egypt (although I guess the middle east isn't a million miles away!), all across Europe to England, Wales, Scotland, southbound through Ireland, & down to Peru (interestingly all of these places are also where all of the oldest free standing 'buildings' in the world are).

So, I've just about doubled my lunch time walk this week. On Monday I happened to glance to the right at a junction and a shop window caught my eye so I decided to turn that way and see where it took me. Along my new route I spotted a beautiful Vintage truck parked up in an old lot on some fake grass with picket fencing, selling GOOD coffee (from the smell, I've yet to sample) and pastries/pies from out of a serving hatch on the side.... then I came across a tiny old run down shop, stacked floor to ceiling with food supplies, and a dirty old sign outside saying 'Asian & Chinese Food Market' (I'll call in some day when I have more time to explore for sure).... and an old Priory, right in the middle of the town!!

I've been so fortunate these past few weeks that the weather has been dry. Cold, windy, & often times grey - but dry - so I'm making the most of this daily time outdoors as I fear February will bring rain, and I'll be confined to the office at lunch time - although I could practice what I preach to my kids - skin is waterproof!

This morning I PR'ed my bench press (again!) and my strict o/head press at the gym. I'm still trying to PR my squat, but my lower back is a little achy at present and I'm fearful of sacrificing form for weight & doing myself damage so it will have to wait. Right now I'm focusing heavily on getting in regular movement at the office, and this at lest seem to be helping with any hip flexor issues... In truth though I probably need a deep tissue massage. I was getting them regularly pre Christmas, but with the festivities & having to pay upfront for forthcoming school trips etc the massages had to go on the back burner - funny how the body has these ways of telling us we're neglecting ourselves!

It's a while since I've talked nutrition on this thread, and I've noticed around the forums lately a general fear of fat, and a notion that somehow carbs are a necessity for day to day functioning so I'm here to quash that rumour. Now, I'm not condoning or promoting a ketogenic diet here in any way, shape, or form, but the fact that we NEED carbs is simply NOT true.

The human body can & does produce glucose perfectly well itself. It does however need essential amino acids (protein) & essential fatty acids for normal bodily functions - they're considered essential because the body can't produce them and yet they are essential for muscle growth & repair, brain health, mental health, transportation of fat soluble vitamins, and energy.

Sugar in any form is processed in the blood & used by the body as fuel (or in the case of fructose, stored in the liver, generally as fat because all other forms of sugar are converted to glucose & utilised first) within 30mins and is gone - resulting in blood sugar HIGHS swiftly followed by lows - so when it's gone, and the low hits, you need more sugar to bring you back up again, and so it becomes a vicious cycle.

Protein and fat take MUCH longer for the body to process (fat can remain in the blood as fuel for up to TEN HRS after ingestion) and result in a nice slow, steady, sustained relase of energy.

Whole30 is not designed to be either low-carb or no-carb though, and so here it is recommended that everyone eat at least a fist sized serving of starchy veg per day - usually in meal 2, or later - and that any fruit is eaten with or as part of a meal. Eating sugars & starches in this way helps prevent the highs and lows that can be suffered as a result of eating them earlier in the day having fasted overnight, or own their own, as the proteins & fats (especially the fats) slow down digestion.

When meals are properly composed, as per the recommended template, with protein in correct proportions in relation to the size of your palm, and with a generous serving of a healthy fat, there will be no highs &/or lows, just a slow, steady release of energy, which is why so many people with blood sugar issues see such amazing results when following the rules & recommendations of this program.

For the above reasons if snacks are needed it is recommend that they are made up of at least two of the three macronutrients - protein, fats & carbs - with protein & fat always being your best option.

Also for the above reasons the meal template & the recommendations surrounding snacks, fruit, dried fruits, nuts, nut butters & bars are there for your benefit.

Here's a TED talk that's popular around these parts that some of you may find interesting - it's been a while since anyone linked to it, and it's always worth a watch...

Sugar sucks.

Well, I only went & jinxed myself talking about the weather last week. Friday was wet, wet, wet, and the only walking I got done was a fast paced walk to the farm shop, a faster paced walk to my car with my purchases, and a fast paced walk back to the office. Thankfully I was out of work on time and managed to squeeze in a quick weights session before my hair appointment on Friday evening before cramming in some study and a catch up phone call with an old friend.

So Saturday was results day and I barely slept a wink on Friday night. Woke around 05:30, paced the house a little, did some laundry, then arrived at the gym as the doors opened - my post man is a little late on Saturdays so it made sense to make the most  of the time with a brutal leg session. Got back to the house *just* as the postman was leaving, grabbed the envelope from the mail box & drove across town to my Exes house (the boys stay there on Fridays) so that the second born could open it & see the result for himself. It felt like I was driving in slow motion all the way there, and it was all I could do not to vomit with nerves - my little boy put SO much effort into preparing for these exams, and so much was riding on his result. Well he didn't disappoint. My boy did good. So good, in fact, that he's now guaranteed a place in the school of his choice (which will be right along side his brother). I cannot express the relief I feel knowing that he can go to a school where he will thrive - a school of his choosing, rather than one chosen for him out of necessity. Good things come to those who work there asses off.

In other news it was my first born's birthday yesterday. Fifteen. When did that happen? Where did the years go?? And thank the Lord that we are done with Birthday parties & party bags!! We'd had a combined Birthday & Results Day lunch with their dad on Saturday (I had sweet chilli chicken with an arugula, carrot, onion & beet salad with balsamic dressing, a side of sweet potato fries, and a glass of sparkling water), so we dined in yesterday and I cooked us steaks with mashed root veg, sauteed onions & mushrooms, and a kind of an onion gravy - divine. And we followed that up with a trip to our local ice cream store - I've talked about it here before - they only sell vanilla, they've been making it on the premises for around a hundred years, and I've never been there when there wasn't a queue. The first born got a large cone, the second born got a packet of chewing gum, and I refrained. This ice cream is absolutely one of my 'worth it' foods and we don't go there that often, but yesterday was icy cold, I'd been food prepping all day, and I just wasn't in the mood <shrugs> so I went home and ground some coffee beans and made me a rich black coffee on the stove top in my moka pot instead - which was more of a treat if I'm honest because I haven't used that bad boy in months.

And last night, in spite of the coffee (or despite? I can never remember) I had one of the best night's sleep I've had in a long, long time - all is well in my little world.

Everyone knows we don't count calories here and yet I see so many references to calories day after day. Not all calories are created equal - I mean it's just not the same eating  500 calories of donuts as it is eating 500 calories of broccoli. And it's so restrictive to have to count every morsel of food that goes into your mouth - and it becomes obsessive, especially when you're not seeing results, so there's more restriction, and more stress, and more cortisol, and it's a vicious cycle.

Here's a great post from coconutsandkettlebells on Instagram which says it all beautifully:

Thanks to the dieting industry, many women and men still believe 1,200 calories a day is the ideal number that “should” be sustained, despite there being no scientific literature showing that this is so.

And to those people who continue to perpetuate this myth: Please go home. YOU'RE DRUNK.

Following this advice can lead to serious nutrient deficiencies, thyroid and adrenal issues, and mental and emotional stress.

Furthermore, long-term energy deficits are seen by the body as a stressor, and as a result, the body adapts by down-regulating metabolism, up-regulating the desire for food in the brain, and holding on to any ounce of food you eat. This is because your body wants to do everything it can to keep you ALIVE.

A healthy body is one that is fed, full of nutrients, and at a weight that is right for YOUR body. By feeding your body what it needs (ESPECIALLY when working out and pursuing fitness goals), and reducing the overall stress your body is exposed to, you allow your body to be in balance. And in this state, it operates appropriately and allows you to be capable of all the things you want to.

And 1,200 calories? Well, if you’re three years old, that’s works great.

Listen to your body & give it what it needs.

Sleep soundly.

Move often.

Decompress daily.

Eat Real Food.

It really is that simple.

A mini-candy bar = 2 points.  You can 15 mini candy bars and be right in the double-yew double-yew pocket. That would be your allotment for the day.  Those who are secretly dieting while doing a W30 will see hair loss and tanked thyroids, dry skin and rickets. :D So not worth it.   

Congrats for your second born! So exciting for him, you must be so proud!!!! 

And yes yes yes, to all of your recent posts. Fat, Good. Sugar, bad. Counting calories, ugh. I briefly did a stint on weight watchers years ago. I knew it was wrong. I knew it was screwed up that I didn't have enough points to have the dark chicken meat or an avocado. I had seen the damaging effect it had in my sister (and continues to have to this day), but I did it anyways because my sister was thin. I.was.starving. Yet, I was going over my allotted points each day and using my bonus points. I did get thin....for about a day. Then my body went nuts and rebelled. Sucked up every calorie I consumed, And got worse, the more I restricted.  The inflammation from consuming so much sugar probably half my battle with weight gain.

Im so thankful I came to my senses and knocked that off after a short period of time.....horrible. And to think, it just seems so simple now. Eat real food. Lots of it. The end. 

Eating real food without limiting quantities and eventually, the portions take care of themselves. The farmers and ranchers I know wouldn't dream of dieting.  They eat real food and stay healthy all of the days of their life. Their livelihood depends on their health. They're constantly on the move from dawn to dusk, taking care of critters in a very harsh climate. They wouldn't change a thing. Unsung heroes of the world, keeping food on our tables. 

Archived