MyLog.

OldLady

It's Day 2. I think the Christmas Cookies I inhaled with wild abandon three days ago slugged me on the back of the head with a rolling pin. I have a cookie fueled hangover-headache. And, my sweet little darlings were exceptionally batty today, and I must say, mommy misses her glass of wine. 28 days. I can do this for another 28 days.

Day 3! Now I can say 27 days left. It's a psychological thing. I can do this for the next 27 days. The headache is gone! Yes!!!! I feel pretty pumped. Granted, I am still not hungry in the morning, but I choked down my eggs, veggies and homemade guacamole. Okay, okay... I never actually have to choke down guacamole. Now I am working on my Day 4 and 5 plan. Warned the hubby about the "Grouchies". Check. Make a back to work meal plan. Check. Get myself back to the gym.... Still working on that one.

Since this is my journal and time to reflect, I am going to remind myself why I am doing this.

I need a lifestyle change. I am too stressed. Relying on stress eating crackers , leftover Halloween candy (sorry kids) and red wine isn't exactly the optimal life. It's not a surprise that I feel lousy.

I want to be able to be a good example for my daughters. And I need to be able to keep up with them. At one point in my life, I was very fit and excercise was my salvation. I remember feeling great everyday. And Strong.

I want to get that back.

So, here I am. Day 3.

Go, Me.

It's Day 2. I think the Christmas Cookies I inhaled with wild abandon three days ago slugged me on the back of the head with a rolling pin. I have a cookie fueled hangover-headache. And, my sweet little darlings were exceptionally batty today, and I must say, mommy misses her glass of wine. 28 days. I can do this for another 28 days.

Write down exactly how your cookie hangover made you feel.  Write it down!  It's so easy to forget how sugar binges make us feel, and then we do it again.  And again.  And again. Because we keep forgetting how bad we feel physically, emotionally, psychologically.  Don't forget this feeling.  This will fuel your fire and make you excited to not eat sugar or sweets.  Trust me.  Fat is your friend.  Sugar is your worst enemy.  It's amazing how clear things are now that I am not eating sugar or processed foods.  It's amazing how much energy I have now.  It's amazing how much better my mood has gotten, and how much easier it is to deal with frustrations and stresses.  Don't forget how sugar makes you feel.  The next time you have a craving or want to sugar binge or even have just one bite, read what you wrote down and remember how bad you felt, how hungover you felt, how not in control you felt.  It's a powerful thing.

Day 4. Not grouchy. Not energized. (But, hey, I'm not spazzed out either!!) Kind of in a relaxed state of... Chill. Not my usual persona. I'm doing okay with this Whole30. So far. I did have some interesting dreams last night. Including chowing on a rice crispy bar??? Where did that come from? Some throwback from my childhood. Should I look forward to dreaming about lucky charms tonight? I read that would happen. 26 more days to go.

On the advice of a fellow Whole30 comrade I will list what I hate about binging on sugar.

1. The guilt. Guilt about the calories. Guilt about the preservatives, the other weirdo chemicals and the well known fact that sugar feeds cancer. Knowing that all the while I am stuffing gummy bears into my pie whole, that it is downright unhealthy and disrespectful to the body I was given,

2. The crutch. Really. There are more healthy things to get you through the stress of the moment. And I hate it that my husband knows to look in the pantry for me on bad days....and that he has to pull me (figuratively) by the scruff of my neck away from the _______. (Fill in the blank with whatever pogie bait is available at the time)

3. More than half of it isn't worth the hit. A lot of that stuff doesn't taste as good as it looks.

4. Constantly being HANGRY, because it never really nourishes you and fills you up in a way that healthy food does.

5. The emitional roller coaster rides of the sugar crash. Cookies with lunch. Wheee!! Spazz! Now It's 1:30 pm. Shouldn't of had those Oreos. Night-night....Zzzz.

6. And lastly, I hate that gross way my mouth feels after a sugar binge. Blah. Double Blah.

Well that is certainly enough to get me through tomorrow.

Day 5 begins!

Interesting picture.  Never would have put vampires and caramels together.  I agree with your list of bad sugar feelings.  I do the cookie thing a lot.  They are definitely my weakness.  Cakes and pies I can pass up, but not those dang oreos.  Starting my own journey in 2 days.  Tomorrow I plan to "start" by getting things ready for the first 3 or 4 days and starting my own journal.  Not sure if I will post it on here though.  Haven't quite decided on that one. 

You can do this!

Day five started out with almost a giddy euphoria. I felt good. I was focused at work and thinking clearly. i am trying to plan out tomorrow, being New Years Eve and all. We shall see. I am hoping for a nice night of sleep. I keep waking up at 01:00 and 03:00 am. Whacky.

It's a beautiful morning. It's practically a holiday. Why am I so grouchy? I am literally ready to put boxing gloves on. I woke up this morning and just decided that I hate eggs. Probably not really, but after eating them for five days I hate them today. I slept horrible last night. Got up at 1 AM again. Blah. I dreamt I was eating cookies. It is funny, in all of these dreams I eat the cookie by accident. Seriously. And then as soon as I pop in my mouth, I realize that I've cheated. Then I actually wake up feeling guilty. It takes a second for me to realize that it was just a dream. But the emotions are real. I have got to hit a reset button. So now I'm going to try to list the positives.

My pants fit fantastic. My little belly pouch is dissipating. I feel well enough to catch a workout today.

I feel focused.

I am happy to be on an eating plan that sanctions delicious things like steak. And guacamole.

I swapped out wine for San Pellegrino sparkling water. I'm saving money. And drinking San Pellegrino makes me feel like royalty.

This too shall pass. This too shall pass.

I am still irritable.

This is part of it, put on your big girl pants and deal, old lady. And I need to remind myself, that this may have nothing to do with my current diet choices and the chemical purge I am going through. I'm generally very moody anyway!

Day 9. Survived New Years. I stuck to the plan. But now my resolve is wavering.... I want candy. And a glass of wine.

Stick to the plan.

Stick to the plan.

Stick to the plan.

It's nice not having the sugar crashes. My mood has been surprisingly mellow. Usually, I am a spazz. I feel healthy. Oh, and the best part!!! No hungry Horrors. I eat my three meals and NO panicky-shove-anything-in-my-mouth "cause I need to eat now!!!" moments have happened.

I am pretty contented after my meals.

That's a good thing.

I have fallen off the template yesterday. I was a little lean on the vegetables at dinner. I need to get back on that!

I am still not hungry first thing in the morning. But I eat out of a sense of duty. Morning veggies are tough. I never know what to eat... So I end up nabbing something out of the fridge, usually uncoordinated with eggs and avocado.

I went out to dinner last night with family. I had a compliant salad... But there were no compliant dressings. So I opted for the homemade salsa as a dressing. After... I thought about it. I was trying to make a good choice... But the reality is... Margheritas Cantina most likely puts sugar in their salsa. On the way out, I asked what the salsa was made of, but the waiter didn't know. I'll kiss that up to God and continue to march.

This is the point where I talk myself out of staying true... It's been about a week. I've been pretty darn good. Then I start thinking.... Well... I could have one glass of wine.. Then rejoin the battle tomorrow. I can just pick up where I left off....

No. No. No.

Stick to it, Old Lady.

You won't get the benefits of the program if YOU DONT FOLLOW THE PROGRAM.

Now go eat your eggs and avocado and veggies like a good girl and get back to work.

Day 10. I had to pull an all nighter at work, so I'm pretty beat today. But I was able to for go my usual modus operandi of staying awake by munching on snacks. I did a pretty good job of keeping clean. The template… Yeah I need to work on that. But I'm meeting approved foods. Keep at it tomorrow is day 10.

Day 10 and 11, those are the days for quitters.

Don't quit.

Day 10. I had to pull an all nighter at work, so I'm pretty beat today. But I was able to for go my usual modus operandi of staying awake by munching on snacks. I did a pretty good job of keeping clean. The template… Yeah I need to work on that. But eating approved foods. Keep at it tomorrow is day 10.

Day 10 and 11, those are the days for quitters.

Don't quit.

Day... Whatever. I don't even know what day I am on. I survived my own holiday house party. And people kept telling me It looks like I lost weight. Boo-ya. In reality, I haven't lost a pound... (I know cause I peeked. Don't judge). But I feel slimmer. I'm typically an anxiety riddled Spazz, but the whole 30 has brought about a whole new mellow. A fabulous mellow that serenely laughed when I burned the casserole, and calmly dealt with my kids having a Battle Royale in front of my entire set of in-laws. I am posting now to keep my resolve. It's helping me from creeping into my sister-in-laws peppermint chocolate brownies.

I will mention there has been NO tiger blood. Only SLOTH blood. I tried working out the other day. It was like I was underwater on a treadmill trying to run while wearing lead shoes. What is up with that??? I wonder if anybody else has had that feeling as well. It was just plain old HARD to move. Do I need to eat more veggies?

Anyway, I will say that my experience has been very positive so far.

We shall see what whole30 wonders lie ahead.

Day 18 came and went like a freight train. I feel stiff and sore and generally lousy. Maybe it's too soon to judge, but the whole 30 isn't doing much for my two week long PMS symptoms. Blah. It's 7:30 and I am already settled into bed.

Here's to tomorrow!

Wow!!!! YA!!!! I see ab muscles! I see ab muscles!!

Now I am wondering how I make whole30 a lifestyle. (Everyone I know who has tried it always says something along the lines of "oh I did that whole30 thing, I lost a Ton of weigh, and I felt amazing… but then I just went back to eating like crap.)

I feel like I am hardwired to going back to eating like crap.

So how do I prevent that?

Let's start by talking about how amazing I feel. And even though this whole 30 seems hard, it was doable. Almost enjoyable.

Old lady, I want you to remember how much you loved eating steak and broccoli, chicken curry with coconut milk, and avocados. Oh!

delicious creamy heavenly avocados.

And, I want you to remember that when you reach for that candy, sugar feeds cancer. And I want you to remember why you're doing this.

When you reach for the candy, you're going to be a spaz. Highs, lows,sugar crashes.

Embrace your new lifestyle.

It's healthy, and I don't care what critics say.

Now get your butt to the gym.

• Moderators

What happened? Overnight I got "puffy" again!!! Oh no! Big old round belly!

Day 22! Still running on "sloth" blood....blah.

Am I doing something wrong?

Some people have reactions like that even to compliant foods if they happen to be sensitive to them. If you're really wondering if you're on track, I'd suggest heading over to the Troubleshooting section of the forum and posting a couple of days' worth of food (including approximate portion sizes), water, and activity levels to get some feedback. Personal logs are not generally moderated, so you'll get more responses in that part of the forum.

Day 30. For sure. (I checked). So, how does one celebrate thirty days without a cookie? Lol. Oddly enough, NOT by eating a cookie.

Maybe I will celebrate with a little well deserved introspection. Now, I didn't shed a pound. ( I checked that too) I don't have "tiger blood". I didn't magically transform into Jessica Alba.

But what did I get? Well, let's start with the obvious. I got to eat a lot of steak. Glorious delicious steak.

I decided that I really like vegetables. There is something very satisfying about chomping on a plate of perfectly steamed kale. Roasted Brussels

I didn't miss milk. Or cream in my coffee. ( and Califia makes the most heavenly almond coconut milk on the planet and is now newly carageenam free)

I CAN live without cheese. I didnt think that was EVER going to happen.

No candy. No cake. No problem. So, bear with me on this... It does sound silly. When I was in any situation that involved "no-no" treats that I really wanted, I developed a method of satisfying the need to chow down on it. I IMAGINED eating it. Sitting down, enjoying each sumptuous bite, slowly and with awareness. As it turns out, it was just as good as actually eating it. I figured if my brain is hard wired to want sweets, it is also hardwired to remember in delicious detail how it tasted.

There is no nutritional value to those empty, "non satiety" type foods. Turns out my brain can't tell the difference from eating it or imagining that in eating it. It does sound silly. But for me, it worked like a charm.

More "deep thought"later.

It's time to get back to work.

Archived