CALLING ALL JANUARY 1ST WHOLE30ERS!

found.in.nature

Day 3 is done! Turns out the low energy I experienced yesterday was definitely a cold coming on. So I'm struggling with that today, but still managed to stay on plan. Heading to bed in a few so I'll keep this short:

B: leftover chicken-apple sausage and 1/2 baked potato, apple slices, black coffee

L: tuna salad (made with homemade mayo) over power greens with a side of baby carrots, a small handful of macadamia nuts and 2 dates

D: burger patty, roasted sweet potato with a small spoonful of homemade mayo on the side, broccoli

Great job today everyone! 3 down, 27 to go!

• Replies 814
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrators

Am an early riser anyway so went for a walk at 6am for an hour and came home to make a quickie breakfast of eggs, ham and some left over greens

Take a quick peek at the ingredients list on your ham, it is extremely uncommon to find compliant ham, most is cured with at least some form of sweetener.

• Moderators

I'm a little worried. Day 3 for me and I feel pretty good. No bad side effects at all. I even feel like Ive been sleeping better.

I woke up extremely hungry today. I've never had much of a sweet tooth and I've been drinking black coffee for years, one cup a day.

Is it possible that I'm not going to feel the "crash" for a few days later than everyone else? Has anyone heard of that?

You could end up having a delayed timeline but depending on how your eating habits were prior to the Whole30, you may not feel so bad... not everyone ends up feeling like they've been backed over by a bulldozer and if you happen to skip that particular part of the timeline, consider yourself lucky!! Good news you woke up hungry, keep eating breakfast within an hour of waking and that should really help offset some of the more yucky symptoms as well since your hormones seem to be playing nice so far!

You may want to take another quick read over the meal template. Your breakfast has no vegetables of any kind and your dinner appears to be missing fat. Nutrition is cumulative and if you're not eating enough throughout the day, you end up suffering in coming days as it's very hard to 'catch up'.

The template is linked in my signature below if you don't have it handy.

• Moderators

Day 3 on the books (Instagram green_hm to see all of my meals)! Haven't had the same kind of headaches as the last two days, but I have been feeling exhausted. Slept in way late (and could have gone longer if I hadn't forced myself out of bed), so my M2 was really just a small meal  in the late afternoon to help tide me over until dinner. I also ended up having a 2 hour nap in the afternoon unplanned (and I never nap)! I hope I'll be able to sleep tonight. As I'm posting my 'check-in' for the day and winding down for bed, I do feel tired. 

M1: poached eggs in cinnamon sweet potato nests, sausage, avocado, and green grapes.

M2: coconut, almonds, and a grapefruit

M3: garlic lemon salmon w/ brussels sprouts and carrots (steamed)

I also drank 3L of water (including an herbal tea). Not sure when the thirst goes away :P but I can't seem to get enough water. It does make the day frustrating with how much more I need to get up and use the washroom lol. I am glad I started this on the 1st because I've been able to go through the exhaustion, withdrawal, headaches, short-fused-ness, and adaptation at home in a controlled environment. Tomorrow it's back to work! I'm hoping that it'll go smoothly. Pre-chopped up some sweet potato tonight to go with my breakfast. I've gotten in the bad habit of sleeping in, rushing out the door, skipping making breakfast, and grabbing something on the road (I have a 45 min commute). So need to break that routine for my health (and my wallet)! I need to take the time in the morning to make something to eat. I can do this!

Hey there;

I just mentioned to a previous poster to have a look back over the meal template, which you might also want to have a look at. Your M2 is fruit and nuts and as nutrition is cumulative, you need to be eating proper templates that have veg, protein and fat. It will be much easier to stick this out and get through the 30 days if you start off strong with proper meals three times a day :)

Day 4 today and I'm feeling pretty good actually, the aches and pains and cravings have subsided. Tomorrow (day 5) will be the first day I have to get up early so we shall see how I fare tomorrow evening. Made a delicious Thai green chicken curry for dinner with lots of veg and sweet potato to soak up the coconut cream.

Take a quick peek at the ingredients list on your ham, it is extremely uncommon to find compliant ham, most is cured with at least some form of sweetener.

Thanks Ladyshanny, we bought an organic, pastured ham from a known farmer and our butcher for Christmas prepared it with fruit and vegetables, I actually then smoked it myself. No ingredients on that ham apart from natural ones. We're really really fussy about our meat basically because my partner has an AI condition and gets chronic flares from any sugar/sweetener. It's a pain but on the positive side has turned us into really good cooks.  :)

I'll jump in here for my day 1.

I've been doing whole30s since September 2013.  What I noticed was that my fibromyalgia bone pain completely disappeared when I was eating compliant, so I really did not ever reintroduce.  Well - not formally.  My life spun out of control and I fell off the wagon completely over the past year.  And I am now living with chronic pain, again.

I tried to start on January 1 but ran into the same problem I do every year, because my birthday is on the 3rd of January, which makes it hard to start anything until after the birthday party.  So, party's done, and now I would like to stop aching and get the body back that makes me feel good about myself.

My family and I just moved to Exeter, UK from Los Angeles, California.  It is a huge cultural shift for us and I am a little nervous about finding the foods I am used to using for my whole30s.  Previously I have lived on Well Fed's Chocolate Chili, Nom Nom Paleo's Kalua Pork, and roasted chicken.  Sadly, my Instant Pot and Vitamix and Food Processor and Microwave are not useable here either, so I'll have to start saving for new or get a transformer.

I did do a roast up of veggies and chicken and did some partial days Jan 1-3 while I was trying to get on the wagon.  Today I will be joining a new gym to start up on that aspect of my new life.

Anyone from the UK, feel free to message me.  I'm looking for new friends, too!

Tracy

Morning of Day 4 and I feel like a human being again! Spent all day yesterday feeling like I had the flu. Just took it easy, drank tons of water and herbal tea and told myself, this too shall pass.

Popped out of bed this morning with no trace of the icky feelings. I don't work Mondays, so today will be my prep day. Headed to the grocery, then chopping veg, making chili for the freezer and who knows what else.

For all of you headed back to work today, good luck and stay strong.

Last night (Day 3 night and into Day 4 early morning) my stomach was gurgling and I had loose BM (sorry... TMI.... it is what it is!!!).  I read that this could happen by Day 4, because the body is starting to detox from carbs and sugars and the gut is processing the good fat used in cooking (I used red palm oil in my cooking for dinner last night, plus I drank a ton of water).  So this is a good thing, right?  When I woke this morning the gurgling was gone and I feel pretty good.  I expect a crash sometime later today when I'm at work, so I plan to take a break and go for a brisk walk.  

Hello All, 

I had a very poor sleep last night. I was awake with a bad headache, but I feel ok today, no headache just tired. I am back to work today, so hopefully that will keep distracted from feeling tired. I am eating lots of vegetables and fruits, but feel I am eating to much protein. I had a chicken breast for supper last night and I ate it all. Would a chicken breast be considered palm sized? Trying to get my portions correct. Thanks all!

Day 4

Yesterday went well.

The extra egg that I had at breakfast on Day 3 did the trick, as I was not hungry at night at all.

Slept really well last night, usually I wake up a few times during the night but only once last night.

Did a lot of prep work, prepared all my meals for the week.

I have a problem though. I go to Yoga on Sunday's. I find that I can not eat before I go.

I did yesterday and felt yucky during Yoga class.

What are your thoughts?

Could I hold off eating until after Yoga?

Yoga is at 10:00 am so it would be awhile.

This is what I did in the past because every time I eat before Yoga I feel yucky. :unsure:  :unsure:  :unsure:

Hope everyone is still hanging in there.....

Love reading everyone's posts! :lol:  :lol:

I have a problem though. I go to Yoga on Sunday's. I find that I can not eat before I go.

I did yesterday and felt yucky during Yoga class.

What are your thoughts?

Could I hold off eating until after Yoga?

Yoga is at 10:00 am so it would be awhile.

This is what I did in the past because every time I eat before Yoga I feel yucky. :unsure:  :unsure:  :unsure:

What did you eat before yoga?

For optimal hormonal balance, it's truly best to have something to eat within an hour of waking - even if you start with a bite each of protein, veg and fat and work your way up.

. I had a chicken breast for supper last night and I ate it all. Would a chicken breast be considered palm sized? Trying to get my portions correct. Thanks all!

We can't see your palm, so that's a tough question to answer.  ;) 

Don't overthink this.  The 1-2 palm recommendation is relative to the size of the palm of your unique individual hand: length, width and thickness. Ultimately, the gauge is  your satiety: you want to get to a place where you create meals of protein, veg and fat that satiate you for 4-5 hours.

Keep playing with the portion sizes until you get there.

What did you eat before yoga?

For optimal hormonal balance, it's truly best to have something to eat within an hour of waking - even if you start with a bite each of protein, veg and fat and work your way up.

I have my usual breakfast: eggs, a mixture of potatoes, peppers, onions, celery and sausage.

Maybe too much ????

Should I have just something little and than after Yoga have my big breakfast?

What would you suggest?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Hi All !!  

I'm a little late to the party, but I started W30 today.  This will be my second W30. I completed my first in September and this has been a game changer for me!

I've struggled with my weight and my relationship for food for as long as I can remember.  Up until the last two weeks I've been 90% W30 compliant with one cheat meal every week when we went out for dinner. Otherwise all the food in our house has been W30 compliant!  We traveled over the holidays and our meals were a little more out of my control.  So, I'm excited to get back on track and feel amazing again!  

I learned so much during my first W30!  This time I plan to focus on adding more exercise into my routine and adding some variety to my veggies!  

Good luck everyone!!

I have my usual breakfast: eggs, a mixture of potatoes, peppers, onions, celery and sausage.

Maybe too much ????

Should I have just something little and than after Yoga have my big breakfast?

What would you suggest?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

I would try the pre workout recommendation of protein and fat before yoga.  Maybe start small with something like one hard boiled or scrambled egg? Then, have your official meal one about 35 minutes or so after your yoga. 

Hey all

Day four for me and it was -17.5 Degrees C (0 Deg F) here in Kingston this am and I did a workout in my garage.  I have a small heater but it barely did the trick.

My first three days have been "as expected".  I am doing my 9th (I think) W30 and I have been there and done that a bit so I know what to expect.  I have up'ed the water intake and am eating on plan.

Yesterday did result in a low-grade, back of the brain headache but nothing too bad.  Being back to work today... is a typical meal planning day which I will share with you.   I did some prep yesterday and got ready for the week.  I do a ground pork, sweet potato and veggie mash in a big batch on Sundays which is my veg/starch in my M1 and I always do Poached eggs (3) along with a piece of fruit on workout days.  I also cooked up 18 compliant sausage for grab-and-go lunches.  I typically have one to two salads a day with a staple salad being sliced cabbage and kale with seasonings, balsamic and EVOO.  We try to do a different meal for dinner each day and leftovers for lunch the next day (or else sausage).

Therefore, today's meals are:

M1 - Sweet Potato mash, poached eggs (3) and a small banana

M2 - 3 sausage, cabbage/kale salad and an apple

M3 - big bowl of slow cooker beef stew (with root veggies, onion)

I drink coffee and water throughout the day and water or mineral water at night (with an occasional herbal tea). 

My $0.02 on the benefits I have found from being on this plan:

#1) Control over cravings - This plan gives me so much control

#2) Even, clean energy - I don't know how to explain it any better than this... I don't always get tiger blood but I always get even, clean energy!

#3) Cost savings - I know many complain about the costs of food being on W30 but for me it is much cheaper than eating out, take-out (2-3 times per week) and processed food that is pre-made.

#4) Alertness - You don't know you are in a fog until it lifts.  I really notice an enhanced ability to focus, pay attention and be productive when on this program

#5) Reduced aches and pains - I am only 44 years old but I definitely am not 25 anymore.  I really benefit from reduced aches and pains.  I have to admit that this is a real reason for doing this W30, this time because I am feeling a little worn down right now.

#6) Improved sleep - I know that many are noting poor sleep in the forum but better sleep will come (for many) and it is glorious.

#7) Weight loss - I typically lose between 8 and 12 lbs in my first 30 days on W30.

#8) Clearer skin - I don't have much of an issue but do get some pimples on my back as I age... they go away when on the program.

A few simple tricks or advice on success with the program:

- Unless you are Martha Stewart or Jamie Oliver, the most common complaint which start about day 12 or so is meal prep and dishes exhaustion.  I would highly recommend keeping it simple.  Don't try to make 15 "Well Fed" or "Nom Nom Paleo" meals in your first couple of weeks.  Doing too many complex meals is hard work and can result in much higher expenses on the plan.  Pick one or two each week you want to try, make extra for leftovers and don't lose sight that a big salad and some grilled protein is a simple meal that will pull you through on days when you have zero interest in cooking another complex meal.

- In the first week or so (where energy can be lacking), use a crock pot, BBQ or other easy cooking method.  Today, I am coming home from work and I know I will have a crock pot full of stew and I don't need to do too much to get dinner on the table.

- Batch cook where possible to ensure you have good food on hand and making food prep easier and more convenient.  

- Find 2-3 breakfasts and lunch options that you like and keep them stocked in your fridge/pantry.  This way you always have an easy fall-back when either your cooking creativity/enthusiasm is lacking or your "don't know what to make".  I eat eggs for breakfast almost every day but I have found that eggs for dinner (no matter how big the omelette) leave me hungry all night.  As such, I use eggs as my AM protein and do other options for dinner.

- Use the food template from W30.  I really have to work towards veggies in my M1.  It does help but I don't beat myself up if I have to skip my veggies in M1 (typically my most hectic meal of the day) but I always make sure I have lots in M2 and M3.  If you are hungry... Eat more (using the template).  One egg or three egg whites are not enough protein for a typical adult.  Don't use the spritzer to put EVOO on your salad, make sure you pour at least one tablespoon. Egg and Fat phobia are holdovers from the food pyramid days of low fat, high carbs.  Fat is your friend.

- Free range and pasture fed meats and fowl can be costly.  Do what you can afford.  I am lucky that one of my local butchers sells local, pasture raised beef and pork and free range chicken and eggs.  His prices are reasonable.  However, I don't worry too much if I buy meat or chicken at my regular grocery shopping store.  I do what I can do and suggest you do the same.  It is a question of good, better and best rather than good vs bad.  

I am sure I will have more to add later but I wanted to contribute to the forum a bit in the early days when a positive light is typically most needed.  I firmly believe in this way of eating and encourage you all to stick with it through the first 2-3 weeks.  It is well worth the effort for me!!!

Cheers

DJ

Hey there;

I just mentioned to a previous poster to have a look back over the meal template, which you might also want to have a look at. Your M2 is fruit and nuts and as nutrition is cumulative, you need to be eating proper templates that have veg, protein and fat. It will be much easier to stick this out and get through the 30 days if you start off strong with proper meals three times a day :)

Yup, I'm aware of the template (grapefruit is low GI at least, and are nuts and coconut not considered 'fat'?). I know I was missing a veg and protein...didn't have anything on hand at the time. I need to go grocery shopping again to get some more veggies that I can eat raw. As I said, I got screwed up by sleeping in and then having a nap mid day and got stuck. I figured eating something was better than nothing. My M1 was at 11:30am, then my M2 wasn't until 4pm which was really tight since dinner was at 6:30pm. I needed to eat something, but all of the sleep really threw everything off  timing-wise :S. I'm doing my best

Having a rough start today. I hardly got any sleep last night. I overslept yesterday, and then when I went to go to bed the cravings hit. I could NOT stop thinking about sushi. I woke up very tired and frustrated. I didn't have time to make breakfast. I had tea and ran out the door. Luckily I only had a half day at work today and made food as soon as I got home. They aren't kidding about the "Kill All Things" - I'm there ...  :angry:

Day 4 on my 4th Whole30 and first day back at work after the Holidays.. rough combination! I'm already exhausted and can't wait until my next meal! Breakfast was tough to get down this morning since it was the first time eating at 6 am in two weeks! I suffered through and got down as much as I could. 

D4M1 - 4 Eggs scrambled with bell peppers and onion and sweet potato with 1/4 of an avocado

It's 11am for me now and I have finished three 18oz water bottles trying to kill time and stay awake until lunch when I get to work out and eat!! 

D4M2 - will be some chicken soup with celery, carrots, chicken and onion and a salad with walnuts and apples and a good dose of oil for dressing.

I'm hoping it's enough to get me through working till 5, yoga till 6 and a 1.5 hour drive home.. so dinner around 7:30! I forgot to bring some emergency hard boiled eggs for after yoga so I don't spend my entire drive home dreaming about all the snacks I can't have! 

Hello Everyone!

I started my second Whole30 on January 1st, and I'm finding it a bit harder. I can't seem to plan my food a whole week ahead, but how about a day or two ahead?  By the way, thanks, for the link to the article about second time around.  Very helpful!

Hello Everyone!

I started my second Whole30 on January 1st, and I'm finding it a bit harder. I can't seem to plan my food a whole week ahead, but how about a day or two ahead?  By the way, thanks, for the link to the article about second time around.  Very helpful!

I'm definitely finding this second round harder than the first! The first time I thought I was doing something wrong since I didn't really fall in line with what they said would happen on the timeline. This time, however......Definitely struggling and feeling tested more than I was the first time around!

I identify a lot with what Melissa says in article. I know how to read labels, I know the Whole30 rules inside and out...but I wonder if for me part of it is that the newness is gone. I need to be more prepared for unplanned situations - having more things 'on hand' to be able to make a full meal out of if I get stuck. Probably timing is another factor for me. The first time I did this I was taking time off of work, but this time I'm working full-time with a schedule that isn't necessarily the same every day. And definitely the part about the 'rough ride.' That article was helpful to read :)!

• Moderators

Hello Everyone!

You don't have to plan a week ahead... we suggest it because for a lot of people cooking every meal they eat is not the norm.  If you do a little bit of prep, such as cooking protein and chopping veggies, then you can decide on the fly what you want to eat based on what combination sounds good.

2nd Whole 30 IS harder but not impossible... You got this!

Archived