CALLING ALL JANUARY 1ST WHOLE30ERS!

found.in.nature

Day 4 on my 4th Whole30 and first day back at work after the Holidays.. rough combination! I'm already exhausted and can't wait until my next meal! Breakfast was tough to get down this morning since it was the first time eating at 6 am in two weeks! I suffered through and got down as much as I could. 

D4M1 - 4 Eggs scrambled with bell peppers and onion and sweet potato with 1/4 of an avocado

It's 11am for me now and I have finished three 18oz water bottles trying to kill time and stay awake until lunch when I get to work out and eat!! 

D4M2 - will be some chicken soup with celery, carrots, chicken and onion and a salad with walnuts and apples and a good dose of oil for dressing.

I'm hoping it's enough to get me through working till 5, yoga till 6 and a 1.5 hour drive home.. so dinner around 7:30! I forgot to bring some emergency hard boiled eggs for after yoga so I don't spend my entire drive home dreaming about all the snacks I can't have! 

Are you allowing for pre and/or postWO meals after you work out? Otherwise I fear you'll be chewing on your elbow on that drive home if you're doing Yoga AND working out....

• Replies 814
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Happy day four everyone! Or, if we're following the timeline "happy" day four... ;-P

Sorry to hear about the folks struggling with round two. This is my third, but I definitely remember round two being tough. (The third is it's own thing, but we'll see what happens down the road... ) I'm feeling better today, but still figuring out meal size and composition, as I get hungry randomly between meals. The cravings haven't hit yet, but I'm sure they're on their way.

I was worried about "Kill All The Things" coinciding with the first day back to work after a long break, but fortunately my co-workers have not tested me yet. I put a couple of post-it notes on my monitor to help remind me to be extra patient and take extra time before responding to emails for the next couple of days. Thankfully, I work remotely, so all of my contact is virtual and I can step away and take a break if I need to. (This may be bad when we get to the tired phase... )

Hang in there everyone!

Are you allowing for pre and/or postWO meals after you work out? Otherwise I fear you'll be chewing on your elbow on that drive home if you're doing Yoga AND working out....

I do usually bring a few hard boiled eggs and eat one before my lunch workout, the lunch right after as my post workout meal and then eat one or two after yoga... Since I forgot them today though I may have to make a cafeteria run to get some. I usually avoid the cafeteria since it's not easy to ask how they cook things/what the ingredients are - but i think it would be pretty hard to make a hard boiled egg not compliant, right?! 

You don't have to plan a week ahead... we suggest it because for a lot of people cooking every meal they eat is not the norm.  If you do a little bit of prep, such as cooking protein and chopping veggies, then you can decide on the fly what you want to eat based on what combination sounds good.

2nd Whole 30 IS harder but not impossible... You got this!

Thanks for the encouragement.  Have always cooked every meal I eat (with the exception of occasional eating out),  but the prep idea sounds great.  I will do it now!

I do usually bring a few hard boiled eggs and eat one before my lunch workout, the lunch right after as my post workout meal and then eat one or two after yoga... Since I forgot them today though I may have to make a cafeteria run to get some. I usually avoid the cafeteria since it's not easy to ask how they cook things/what the ingredients are - but i think it would be pretty hard to make a hard boiled egg not compliant, right?! 

It's probably your safest take away option for now anyways, unless you can get to a store of some description?

What kind of work out do you do? Going forward I might be inclined to up the protein/fat content of meal one, skip the preWO & stick with a postWO of protein & starchy carb. Any fat in your meal 2 will slow down the absorption of vital nutrients so it's better to pre-empt that with protein immediately upon finishing your WO & then follow up with meal two soon after.

• Moderators

Thanks for the encouragement.  Have always cooked every meal I eat (with the exception of occasional eating out),  but the prep idea sounds great.  I will do it now!

If you want, check out www.meljoulwan.com and she's got some great weekly cookup articles and plans to help you prep where you don't need to know exactly what you want to eat to get it done.

I found prepping was especially helpful when I was converting to a cook all the things type of person from a 'toast a bagel and eat McDonalds' type of person but now that I have the cooking down (3 years of this at this point), I can generally get away with minimal prepping on weeks that I don't feel like it.

Day 4 of my 2nd Whole30 (actually first one was in Nov. and was 25 days to fit Thanksgiving in at the end…)

So far, this second start is quite easy..mostly because I know the "ropes" and don't have to check everything before I eat it!

I already feel less irritable..that seems to be the first unit of my tiger's blood transfusion...

Got through a "movie night" (Downton Abbey Season 6 !) with neighbors at their house. Drank Kombucha and had some freshly roasted walnuts…more than I should have had but WAY LESS than what I WOULD have had ( other offerings were red wine, slices of cheese, crackers, chips and dips !)

So, feeling positive about pressing on.  

SO GRATEFUL for these forums and all of you co-adventurers !!!

It's probably your safest take away option for now anyways, unless you can get to a store of some description?

What kind of work out do you do? Going forward I might be inclined to up the protein/fat content of meal one, skip the preWO & stick with a postWO of protein & starchy carb. Any fat in your meal 2 will slow down the absorption of vital nutrients so it's better to pre-empt that with protein immediately upon finishing your WO & then follow up with meal two soon after.

Okay - thanks for the advice!! Are eggs considered just protein? Or are they protein and fat?

My workouts are either lifting free weights, running and bleacher repeats or body weight interval training depending on the day. Today is Monday so I will do full body lifting at lunch (with a 20 min walk to/from the gym) and yoga after work. 

Okay - thanks for the advice!! Are eggs considered just protein? Or are they protein and fat?

My workouts are either lifting free weights, running and bleacher repeats or body weight interval training depending on the day. Today is Monday so I will do full body lifting at lunch (with a 20 min walk to/from the gym) and yoga after work. 

Eggs are protein & fat so not ideal for postWO but good for pre.

Go with the preWO for today, but yeah, I'd say you'd benefit more from upping the size of meal one & opting for a postWO before you eat meal 2. I tend to only have a preWO if I'm training first thing in the morning. It's very personal though so if you feel you need that preWO egg then keep it in.

Let us know how you go...

Hey all

Day four for me and it was -17.5 Degrees C (0 Deg F) here in Kingston this am and I did a workout in my garage.  I have a small heater but it barely did the trick.

My first three days have been "as expected".  I am doing my 9th (I think) W30 and I have been there and done that a bit so I know what to expect.  I have up'ed the water intake and am eating on plan.

Yesterday did result in a low-grade, back of the brain headache but nothing too bad.  Being back to work today... is a typical meal planning day which I will share with you.   I did some prep yesterday and got ready for the week.  I do a ground pork, sweet potato and veggie mash in a big batch on Sundays which is my veg/starch in my M1 and I always do Poached eggs (3) along with a piece of fruit on workout days.  I also cooked up 18 compliant sausage for grab-and-go lunches.  I typically have one to two salads a day with a staple salad being sliced cabbage and kale with seasonings, balsamic and EVOO.  We try to do a different meal for dinner each day and leftovers for lunch the next day (or else sausage).

Therefore, today's meals are:

M1 - Sweet Potato mash, poached eggs (3) and a small banana

M2 - 3 sausage, cabbage/kale salad and an apple

M3 - big bowl of slow cooker beef stew (with root veggies, onion)

I drink coffee and water throughout the day and water or mineral water at night (with an occasional herbal tea). 

My $0.02 on the benefits I have found from being on this plan:

#1) Control over cravings - This plan gives me so much control

#2) Even, clean energy - I don't know how to explain it any better than this... I don't always get tiger blood but I always get even, clean energy!

#3) Cost savings - I know many complain about the costs of food being on W30 but for me it is much cheaper than eating out, take-out (2-3 times per week) and processed food that is pre-made.

#4) Alertness - You don't know you are in a fog until it lifts.  I really notice an enhanced ability to focus, pay attention and be productive when on this program

#5) Reduced aches and pains - I am only 44 years old but I definitely am not 25 anymore.  I really benefit from reduced aches and pains.  I have to admit that this is a real reason for doing this W30, this time because I am feeling a little worn down right now.

#6) Improved sleep - I know that many are noting poor sleep in the forum but better sleep will come (for many) and it is glorious.

#7) Weight loss - I typically lose between 8 and 12 lbs in my first 30 days on W30.

#8) Clearer skin - I don't have much of an issue but do get some pimples on my back as I age... they go away when on the program.

A few simple tricks or advice on success with the program:

- Unless you are Martha Stewart or Jamie Oliver, the most common complaint which start about day 12 or so is meal prep and dishes exhaustion.  I would highly recommend keeping it simple.  Don't try to make 15 "Well Fed" or "Nom Nom Paleo" meals in your first couple of weeks.  Doing too many complex meals is hard work and can result in much higher expenses on the plan.  Pick one or two each week you want to try, make extra for leftovers and don't lose sight that a big salad and some grilled protein is a simple meal that will pull you through on days when you have zero interest in cooking another complex meal.

- In the first week or so (where energy can be lacking), use a crock pot, BBQ or other easy cooking method.  Today, I am coming home from work and I know I will have a crock pot full of stew and I don't need to do too much to get dinner on the table.

- Batch cook where possible to ensure you have good food on hand and making food prep easier and more convenient.  

- Find 2-3 breakfasts and lunch options that you like and keep them stocked in your fridge/pantry.  This way you always have an easy fall-back when either your cooking creativity/enthusiasm is lacking or your "don't know what to make".  I eat eggs for breakfast almost every day but I have found that eggs for dinner (no matter how big the omelette) leave me hungry all night.  As such, I use eggs as my AM protein and do other options for dinner.

- Use the food template from W30.  I really have to work towards veggies in my M1.  It does help but I don't beat myself up if I have to skip my veggies in M1 (typically my most hectic meal of the day) but I always make sure I have lots in M2 and M3.  If you are hungry... Eat more (using the template).  One egg or three egg whites are not enough protein for a typical adult.  Don't use the spritzer to put EVOO on your salad, make sure you pour at least one tablespoon. Egg and Fat phobia are holdovers from the food pyramid days of low fat, high carbs.  Fat is your friend.

- Free range and pasture fed meats and fowl can be costly.  Do what you can afford.  I am lucky that one of my local butchers sells local, pasture raised beef and pork and free range chicken and eggs.  His prices are reasonable.  However, I don't worry too much if I buy meat or chicken at my regular grocery shopping store.  I do what I can do and suggest you do the same.  It is a question of good, better and best rather than good vs bad.  

I am sure I will have more to add later but I wanted to contribute to the forum a bit in the early days when a positive light is typically most needed.  I firmly believe in this way of eating and encourage you all to stick with it through the first 2-3 weeks.  It is well worth the effort for me!!!

Cheers

DJ

You have a really great summary of benefits and of tips.  Thanks for sharing! 

April

I'd love to know what the compliant sausage is or where you get them?  Thanks!

Wellshire Farms, available at my local Whole Foods, has some compliant sausage (read ingredient labels carefully, as some flavors are compliant while others aren't).  I personally like their Turkey Andouille Sausage.

Question. I had lunch at 12:30 and I am starting to get hungry four hours later, 4:30.  I would like to eat dinner at 6 or 7.  What should i do in the meantime?  Should i eat a mini meal to hold me over??

Breakfast 8;30am: two eggs scrambled, broccoli and avocado

Lunch 12:30pm: talapia, celery, broccoli, red peppers, sweet potato and avocado

Well, day 4 is rolling along pretty well! I did not think I would have one of those food dreams (well, a wine or scotch dram dream, perhaps) but I had such a realistic one about eating a chocolate chip cookie at someone's house that I woke up still thinking I would have to start my W30 over again. I was thrilled when I realised it was a dream - best place to eat that cookie ever! Even in the dream I was upset that I had so unconsciously eaten the thing and that it set me back to day 1. It was delicious, though.

Seriously freezing out today! Back to work tomorrow bright and early, and feeling ready (at least food-wise). Will get back to the gym this week, so thanks for the conversation about the pre- and post-workout food. One thing that got me frustrated before the W30 was that I was terribly uncomfortable working out if I ate just about anything beforehand, but empty was not the greatest way to go either. I think it will go better now, but will start a bit slowly, which I hate. I want to be back where I was when working out a lot. Right Now!  (pause for bratty tantrum)  OK, I'll listen to my trainer and start slowly.

Keep warm, northerners.  Everyone else, stop laughing.

I'm a little worried.  Day 3 for me and I feel pretty good.  No bad side effects at all.  I even feel like Ive been sleeping better.

I woke up extremely hungry today. I've never had much of a sweet tooth and I've been drinking black coffee for years, one cup a day.

Is it possible that I'm not going to feel the "crash" for a few days later than everyone else? Has anyone heard of that?

Maybe you lucked out and skipped the "hangover" phase! Last couple rounds I didn't feel "kill all the things" until halfway through, but it lasted for days. Everyone reacts a bit differently. Enjoy the good feels!

Question. I had lunch at 12:30 and I am starting to get hungry four hours later, 4:30.  I would like to eat dinner at 6 or 7.  What should i do in the meantime?  Should i eat a mini meal to hold me over??

I totally would. It's a long time between 12:30 and 6. Yay, food!

• Administrators

Hi Macy,

I answered this question in the other thread that you opened.  Per the forum rules, please don't cross post.  :)

Missed posting a check in for yesterday (Day 4) as real life stepped in. Began the day with a cracking meal of liver, eggs and stir fry vege with duck fat around 9am but then spent a day doing summer holiday activities with the kids in the city thinking I would pick up some sashimi and a salad somewhere but couldn't find anything suitable. Anyhow, ended up eating nothing until 5pm when I got home and had to fry up my bolognese sauce from the day before with some fried sweet potato (which I've been a bit cautious of due to tummy issues). I also had a cup of broth and then threw a pile of vegetables in a roasting tray (kale, cherry tomatoes, eggplant, onion, garlic, cauliflower, broccoli) with some duck fat, balsamic vinegar and rosemary and sage and when that was nicely roasted tossed a nice porterhouse on the barbecue-was delicious but am aware I was stockpiling meals to make up for the absence during the day.

Sleep has still been crap though. The last 3 nights I have woken between 3-4am and been wide awake. Interestingly my energy levels during the day haven't been so bad but I'm not a huge sleeper anyway so maybe it is just a metabolism thing. I also have a lot on with work at the moment as far as deadlines so probably related to rising anxiety levels. Will try to do some meditation today. I have to travel a lot for my work and tend to eat a lot in restaurants. Am travelling this weekend thankfully driving this time rather than flying so can carry groceries but am having to think a bit more than I normally would about preparation and planning. Moods have been relatively stable though which is another bonus as I remember this stage in the last W30 I was a horrendous pain in the butt to be around! I think I'm far better psychologically prepared this time around, in fact, it feels pretty comfortable-will likely extend to a W45 or W60 but will wait and see how I feel. Will try to get back into the thread today but hope everyone is doing well.

Had a day of 'kill all things' and headaches. And a bit of a loss of appetite, demotivated, discouraged. Felt disoriented and out of it at times today as well. Reading the timeline, sounds like this is normal, but it isn't fun. Even though I didn't get any sleep last night, I chose not to nap this afternoon. I find they can really impact my sleep later on. 

M1: 3-eggs scrambled with salt, pepper, and cayenne, a small handfull of green olives, and sweet potato hash (used olive oil)

M2: leftover spaghetti squash w/ pumpkin and ground beef marinara sauce

M3: I have two whole organic chickens roasting in the oven right now :) One is lemon basil and the other is lemon with a homemade fajita spice mix. Once the chicken is done, I'll have it with some veggies for a side. I have a big bag of carrots and brussels sprouts so I might be boring and have the same side as last night. I need to go grocery shopping to replenish my veggie stores :). Going to watch the season premiere of the Bachelor (my guilty pleasure ;) ) WITHOUT having a glass of wine. I think I'll make tea so that I have something I'm sipping on.

Hey fellow W30ers....I'm a newbie here.  36 years old, father of one and currently living in Los Angeles.  My wife and I started W30 today.  So far so good.  I'm used to the high protein/low carb lifestyle but wanted to give W30 a try for more of a cleansing effect by completely cutting out the sugar, dairy, alcohol and grain intake.  My day kind of looks like this....

Morning Yoga before heading to work

Black coffee for the commute

Late breakfast (today was HB eggs and banana) around 10:30

Lunch WO (resistance training)

Late lunch around 1:30 (today was lamb chop and mixed veggies)

Dinner around 7:00 (today is beef pot roast)

I'm definitely curious about the different phases and I'm hoping I maintain enough energy to keep my work out routine going.   Thanks for all the support.

Jared

Day 4 was all over the map for me. Woke up at 6 a.m. with a horrible sore throat and feeling way worse than I did yesterday. I wanted to pop some cold meds, but I resisted and gargled salt water and drank a cup of throat coat tea. I had no idea how I was going to power through the day without over the counter meds, but surprisingly once I got moving I was fine. As the day went on I had more and more energy and felt awesome and energetic even. I couldn't believe how well I was doing since I didn't take any cold meds. I attributed it to all of the super healthy foods I've been eating. But then right when I was praising the W30.... it all went to $%^. My cold symptoms are back full force tonight and I'm crabby, short-tempered with the kids, and I feel SO BLOATED! Ugh. I just don't understand why I'm so up and down. Maybe I'm fast tracking through the timeline? 

Enough of the pity party though! Sorry I just had to get that off my chest, but i don't want to be so negative. On a positive note, I stuck to the W30 through it all! 4 days down, 26 to go. I know it's going to be worth it in the long run. Keep going everyone!

Archived