CALLING ALL JANUARY 1ST WHOLE30ERS!

found.in.nature

• Administrators

Does anyone know if there is a way to find just "your own" posts somewhere in this topic?  I'm interested to see what I posted on Day 1 but can't "find myself" anywhere ??

You can click your own name in the top bar and click "My Content" and then when the page opens, on the left you can click "Only Posts".  That should show you everything you've ever posted.  :)

• Replies 814
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So, Day 5…couldn't get "unwired" last night (No "un-wine'd") so finally got to sleep around 11:30. Woke up sleepy/foggy. My biggest issue is eating in that first hour after rising. On my days off, I have horses and a dog that need to be fed before I eat, so I run out to do barn chores before my coffee. Coffee is next and then I make breakfast. Work days (hubby has barn chores) it's coffee or tea first thing and then try to eat something compliant on the drive in to work and have the next "breakfast" on my 15 minute morning break. Except for timing, everything else is "by the book"…just hoping to start feeling hungrier in the AM soon...

Also discovered Tiger Nuts..!.

Cyperus esculentus -
Wikipedia
Cyperus esculentus (also called chufa sedge, nut grass, yellow nutsedge, tiger nut sedge, or earth almond) is a crop of the sedge family widespread across much of the world.

They seem perfect for extra protein and very portable.  Since they are a "tuber" like a potato, I assume they are compliant-just dried-no additives or any other ingredient listed on the bag.  :)

Yesterday Day 5 was fine although like a few people on here I'm finding timing is harder. I had breakfast around 9am as I was working from home and had liver, eggs and left over roast vegetables with duck fat, I think it is becoming my go to breakfast, I love it. Went to the gym around 12.30 and spent an hour lifting heavy things which was fun, increased my weights too which I remember being a bit of a benefit from the last W30 I did. Was of course ravenously hungry by the time I got home about 2pm and had a kombucha and made a tuna salad with avocado and some walnuts. Dinner I felt like spoiling myself so cooked a Greek roast leg of lamb in the barbeque and added some smoke chips and then added a pile of veg to it (eggplant, broccoli, kale, zucchini, cauliflower, cherry tomatoes, garlic) was awesome and I have heaps of leftovers for breakfast! 

The only issue I had last night was a skin itch. Itchy skin tends to be my sign of either reacting to or, detoxing to something so I'm hoping it was detoxing but was all over my arms, legs and head. Sydney weather is vile at the moment too, constant rain, muggy and soggy so it might also be related to dampness/humidity. Not sure, but better this morning though. No real cravings apart from ones where you realise it is behaviour related rather than a real need like sitting down to watch a movie with the kids last night and wanting a ice-cream or a chocolate to indulge in. Was no big issue to have a cup of herbal tea instead.

Day 6 beginning here for me though, happy with the journey so far, hope everyone else is doing well too. 

• Administrators

I've been drinking a lot of club soda and I'm wondering if it's OK to add a dash of Fee Brothers orange bitters? It's made with glycerin instead of alcohol.

Nope, sorry, glycerin is out.  Try just a splash of a fruit juice if you need to perk it up?

Hi - I'm new. And based in Australia so I'm a days cooking ahead of north america!

Aussie here too, in Melbourne :) There's a few around at the moment.

Day 5 .....

I almost forgot yesterday I was on Whole30 when offered a little home baked treat at work. I was so busy that when I was offered it I automatically was going to take it. Thank goodness I remembered that I was doing Whole30 and said no. 

The funny thing is that I was not even hungry but probably would have taken it and eaten it!

Pretty good insight!

I call these "surprise food". Food we had no plan to eat, no intention to eat but would often eat them because everyone else is (kinda silly when you think about it). Some workplaces are loaded with these, so it's good practice to learn how to deal with them, they are never ending :)

Day 5 has gone smoother. I didn't get a restful sleep again last night, so I did wake up pretty groggy and tired. BUT I managed to make breakfast before going to work!!! (that's an accomplishment for me where I've gotten into the bad habit of not eating breakfast or getting it on the road on my work days). I've had a packed day at work, which honestly has been a really good distraction. I have been drinking a lot of water, and I packed a filling lunch :).

M1: 2 poached eggs, zucchini hash made in olive oil, and half an avocado

M2: leftover lemon basil chicken on romaine lettuce with green olives, a little balsamic vinegar, and the other half of my avocado. It kept really well because I wrapped it in plastic wrap and had it in my container as well.

M3: I'm not sure what I'm going to do for dinner. I'd like to avoid having chicken again and have that tomorrow. Shrimp are quick to cook up so I might do that with some veggies. I don't have time to eat until I get home because I'm in with clients from now 5:45pm (momentarily) until I get home at 9pm. I won't have had my M3, but it also feels really late to be eating a meal. But I know I'll be hungry once I'm done work.

Tomorrow is my day off and I need to go grocery shopping.

That's my check in for Day 5 :)

Wow - day 5 is weird! First day back at work after the holidays, so I had everything prepared, ready to take in to work with me. Yesterday afternoon, I dragged it all the way down my hill on a toboggan (-18 C), bus to Montreal, metro to my small (freezing!) apartment, put it away. Day 4 ended very nicely, and I had a great sleep for the first time. The apartment sort of warmed up. 

Then this morning came, I felt great, had excellent breakfast, packed up, went to work. Lunch time rolled around and I discovered I had not packed up the actual FOOD. Just the tons of paperwork and other stuff I needed. But no FOOD!  I had spent the whole morning forgetting things, and slowly having them dawn on me. I thought Day 5 was about killing things, and here it was only about trying to think, and failing.  

OK, so there is a nice big supermarket not far from work - surely salad greens, a can of salmon, and an avocado would be there. I was getting really, really hungry by then, bundled up nice and warm and trundled off to the store. Which turned out to be in the process of closing, or renovating, or something. No food. Plan B - a small grocery that might have something. Got there, and all the choices just looked too overwhelming to prepare. Plan C - small café that has a very good salad with protein thing, I have olive oil and lemon at the office. And olives. Got there seriously salivating to see NO salad stuff. They said it would start up again on Thursday. Panic is beginning to set in!  :o The doorways of restaurants and cafés and such are calling my name. I am pretending to be deaf.

So even though it made lunch seriously late, I packed up, went back to the apartment, stopping at the amazing asian grocery nearby for mustard greens, long asian eggplants, chicken, frozen seafood for another day, coconut oil, and eggs. Made an awesome lunch. I love mustard greens. I might live.

The remainder of the work day will take place in the comforts of my apartment, which is now warm. Tomorrow, the food will NOT be forgotten!! Lesson learned, but I did not cave. Seriously pleased.

• Administrators

The doorways of restaurants and cafés and such are calling my name. I am pretending to be deaf.

This made me laugh!  So sorry you had such a rough one but holy smokes, good on you for staying strong!!!!!!!!!!

In everyones experience, when is the best time to take probiotics? 

I don't take any probiotics, I find they upset my guts a bit, I have Kombucha and fermented veggies though. Mojo and Remedy are both compliant kombuchas :)

Also discovered Tiger Nuts..!.

Cyperus esculentus -
Wikipedia
Cyperus esculentus (also called chufa sedge, nut grass, yellow nutsedge, tiger nut sedge, or earth almond) is a crop of the sedge family widespread across much of the world.

They seem perfect for extra protein and very portable.  Since they are a "tuber" like a potato, I assume they are compliant-just dried-no additives or any other ingredient listed on the bag.  :)

Tiger nuts are okay if there's nothing non-compliant added. Even though they are a tuber, I would treat them like a nut, as they are dried and can be a food with no brakes for many.

Day 5 has gone smoother. I didn't get a restful sleep again last night, so I did wake up pretty groggy and tired. BUT I managed to make breakfast before going to work!!! (that's an accomplishment for me where I've gotten into the bad habit of not eating breakfast or getting it on the road on my work days).

w00t w00t! what a great NSV (Non Scale Victory)! :D

Got there seriously salivating to see NO salad stuff. They said it would start up again on Thursday. Panic is beginning to set in!  :o The doorways of restaurants and cafés and such are calling my name. I am pretending to be deaf.

You did really great! This is the time when something like a Larabar (or other compliant bar) really comes in handy, when all the plans fail. Well done :)

I survived day 4! Made it through my lunch lifting session and post work yoga. Got home to a delicious meal prepared by my husband, which left no time for pre dinner snack cravings! 

Day 5 is cruising along, although my lunch run definitely felt like I was running through mud. It was hard to pick my legs up (and get motivated). I gave up after an easy 3 miles and just stretched... M1 today was the same as yesterday and M2 was homemade chili with lot of veggies and some meat 

Looking forward to some chicken soup for dinner i made over the weekend with some avocado! Quick, easy and delicious on these cold rainy days. 

Hi everyone! I can't believe it's day 5. Like someone else posted, I'm much more about forgetting all of the things than I am about killing them. I'm not sure if that's better or worse... ;-) We also had a bunch of rain last night, so my kitchen is full of ants. (UGH!) But despite these things, it's going pretty well.

We followed Melissa Joulwan/Well Fed's cook-up strategy this time around and I am LOVING it. I used to prep breakfasts and some pre-made veggie salads, but relied on cooking every night and having leftovers for the next day's lunches. Her system is much more flexible and especially in the first week, it's been really great to be able to cook on nights when I want to, but grab premade stuff when I don't. Or cook a veggie and add a premade protein. It made my lunch today so awesome. Blanched a little broccoli, heated up some cooked hamburger, dumped some Well Fed 2 Hoisin sauce on top (this stuff is amazing, make it right now!), added some roasted beets and carrot salad on the side and lunch was ready in about 10 minutes. (There was some ant-killing/clean up in there as well, so it could have been faster!) 

I'm enjoying reading about everyone's journey. I hope it's getting easier or staying awesome!

M

Happy to report that I made it through day 5! The cold bug is still lingering and I'm choosing to fight it naturally (gargling salt water, throat coat tea) instead of taking my old standby of dayquil or advil cold and sinus. I'm really surprised that I am even able to function given how congested I am. I really think the food is making a difference in my energy levels. I don't even seem to need to drink my whole cup of coffee to get going in the morning. Like some of you mentioned above, I am feeling a little forgetful/spacey today. I lost my car keys yesterday and I keep making silly mistakes. I hope this is a passing phase! 

On a positive note, my sleep has been better these past few nights since I started taking the natural calm. I started with a half teaspoon two nights ago and did a half teaspoon last night. It still takes me awhile to fall asleep, but I think I toss and turn much less. Looking forward to this trend continuing! Also, my bloating from day 4 is much improved today. 

Here is my food log:

B: 2 eggs cooked in ghee, large handful of olives, baby carrots, a few apple slices, black coffee

L: leftover burger patty topped with a spoonful of guac and a bit of homemade mayo on the side, broccoli with a few pieces of leftover roasted sweet potatoes, mandarin, a few macadamia nuts 

D: Bangers and Mash (recipe from the W30 book), but I used ground turkey instead of pork because that is all I had in the fridge. 

Once again, a big thank you to all of you who post here! You are such a motivating group!

Just a quick check on those canned beets.  I don't know that I have ever come across any that weren't canned with some sort of sweetener.

I panicked when I read this. Headed straight to my cupboard and, phew, just beets, water and salt. They were just a store brand. Glad that you brought this up so I don't make an assumption in the future. I do love fresh roasted beets but like to keep a backup emergency can.

I don't think you're eating too much, the fact you are having a 3-egg mini meal tells me that you aren't actually eating enough (or that there is a huge gap between your lunch and dinner.

My suggestion would be first to add some veggies to breakfast and second to leave off the fruits if you feel like you are getting overfull at your meals.  

What's your general meal timing like?

My meal times are usually M1-7:30, M2- 12:00, M3 -6:00. Thanks for your suggestions, I appreciate it.  :)

Happy to report that I made it through day 5! The cold bug is still lingering and I'm choosing to fight it naturally (gargling salt water, throat coat tea) instead of taking my old standby of dayquil or advil cold and sinus. I'm really surprised that I am even able to function given how congested I am.

I really like garlic and chilli peppers when I've got a cold, and lemongrass & ginger tea. Were you hungry after your breakfast today? Only 2 eggs.

Help! I made mayonnaise for the first time. It is not thick like store bought mayonnaise, it is the consistency of cream. Is that how it should be? I was expecting it to be thicker. Thanks. 

Sometimes it can be thin, for me it's usually been a lack of emulsion, so it doesn't "puff up". The acid in the lemon helps to mix in the egg with the oil.

If you have an immersion blender, try adding some extra acid (lemon or ACV) and whipping again. If it doesn't work, you can add an extra egg. Actually there's a whole bunch of threads on fixing mayo.

I use this recipe and it has never let me down :)

http://thehealthyfoodie.com/fail-proof-home-made-paleo-mayo-whole30-compliant/

• Moderators

Help! I made mayonnaise for the first time. It is not thick like store bought mayonnaise, it is the consistency of cream. Is that how it should be? I was expecting it to be thicker. Thanks.

That's what we call 'mayo fail' but don't throw it out... you can make dressing out of it! Coleslaw is my fave but there are loads you can use.

The best bet is an immersion blender and a 500ml mason jar... there's no need to bring things to room temp and it's a lot less time/work... I've never had a mayo fail doing it that way (or any way, but I don't want to brag ;))

Put the below phrase into Google and a ton of threads come up.

whole 30 mayo fail

• Administrators

My meal times are usually M1-7:30, M2- 12:00, M3 -6:00. Thanks for your suggestions, I appreciate it.  :)

That's a big enough gap between your M2 and M3 that you would probably need a little snack. ;)

That's what we call 'mayo fail' but don't throw it out... you can make dressing out of it! Coleslaw is my fave but there are loads you can use.

The best bet is an immersion blender and a 500ml mason jar... there's no need to bring things to room temp and it's a lot less time/work... I've never had a mayo fail doing it that way (or any way, but I don't want to brag ;))

Put the below phrase into Google and a ton of threads come up.

whole 30 mayo fail

Thanks for the info! Will definitely be looking up mayo fail! Ha ha ha 

Day 5 is done. Still have a slight headache, but is is subsiding. Prepped some vegetables after work for tomorrow and Thursday. 

M1- 3 scrambled eggs, steamed spinach, 1/4 avocado

M2- chili, steamed spinach, apple

Mini meal- carrot sticks, cucumber slices, snap peas, yellow pepper slices, 1/4 chicken breast

M3- Coconut curry chicken breast, steamed spinach

snack - almonds

Feeling pretty good. 

Archived