CALLING ALL JANUARY 1ST WHOLE30ERS!

found.in.nature

Not sure I will be getting a headache, as I seem to have hit the sleepy phase already *yawn*

Is it nap time yet?

I hear you there! Day 6 here for me and lay on the couch this afternoon to read a book and 2 hours later woke up! Good thing I work mostly from home  :P but definitely feeling slightly more on the sluggish side of the scale. Eugh.

• Replies 814
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Felicitas,

I too am a Newbie.  I just started Whole 30 on January 1st!  Yay!  I've experienced success staying on the path of Whole30 for 5 days now.

I am 55, and living in Corpus Christi, Texas in the great  United States of America!   have a wonderful husband and son who are trying to support me but love bread, bread, bread, and chocolate,

chocolate, chocolate--as in even on pretzels!

I've cleaned out all I could without making it difficult for them to live with me.  I've noticed that my resolve is really high and I keep all of their foods in a separate bin that I do not have to see or go near and so far its working.  It's helping me to read your blog and others to stay focused and feel a part of this great big group who is all working for a better life of health and wholeness. 

I welcome any suggestions on what to do in a family situation with a teen age son who needs a lot more fuel than I do.

All the best, Luci

Day 6 down and I'm realising this W30 caper is making my worm farm extremely happy with lots of vegetable scraps and also encouraging a much more sustainable food recycling habit with me. Food is not getting left for days on end in the fridge and then thrown out namely I think because the effort of putting together a compliant meal seems to command respect for that meal right up until it is finished! I also seem to have gotten into a nice mix of eating left overs and ready made meals as well making at least one big meal a day that can be used for the next few days. 

Apart from the tiredness thing today (spot on with the time line) I've also noticed some positive health changes though. My adenoymosis symptoms and chronic PMS (out of control mood swings, excessive bloating, cramping and terrible pain) was/is virtually non existent this month. As far as I'm concerned, if nothing else comes out of this W30 for me it is worth it for this alone!

So, meals today:

M1: Liver, egg, roast vegetables fried in duck fat.

M2: Baby spinach, avo, cold sliced roast lamb, walnuts and roast vegetable salad with olive oil/balsamic dressing.

M3: Reheated bolognese sauce on top of some freshly made cauliflower rice (used ghee to make the cauliflower rice) -enough left for breakfast tomorrow.

Have been satisfied all day with no need to snack. Thinking upping my fat/protein quota has helped and don't think I was quite eating enough in the first few days. Craving fish/seafood though, time to do a shop tomorrow to stock up and see to those cravings. I also threw a pile of vegetables and some chicken with my broth in my slow cooker this afternoon to have something yummy and wholesome for mini meals/snacks. Am also thanking my lucky stars I bought one of those slow cooker/pressure cooker/can do everything except serve your meals machine just before Christmas-has been an absolute godsend as far as meal making on the go-absolutely love it! 

Hello everyone.

Good to see that people are making good progress and sharing lots of ideas and tips.

As for me. So far so good.

I have to admit I am eating heaps of fruit between meals to waive off the sugar cravings but I am not too worried at this stage.

The last few weeks have been an absolute sugar/alcohol and Pepsi Max binge, what with Christmas and New Year so I reckon a few portions of natural sugar in the form of fruit is OK at this stage.

It is definitely better than the 200 grms average daily chocolate intake and the 4-5 cans of Pepsi Max so in context, fruit is good.

I have had some pretty strange withdrawal symptoms, the most dominant being hot flushes and aching bones, but seriously, compared to the pain and discomfort of guilt, sugar comas and mood swings they are pretty mild.

The most dominant feeling I have this evening is a sense of being in control which is a good feeling after weeks of out of control eating and drinking.

Keep up the great work everyone :-)

I'm here too, day 6 starting today, just had trouble finding the forum  at first. this is my 2nd one,

Love this, except now i go through the headaches,should be over soon.

Hope you all are doing fantastic. Have a great day. :)

Beautiful red sunrise on the way to work this morning. Lovely way to start the day.

Still fighting off some sort of bug (cough, sore throat, aches all over). Despite that though, I'm feeling pretty good. A little frustrated that I haven't been able to work out this week, but really trying to give my body a chance to heal and adjust to this new energy source. Started back at work yesterday, not even tempted by the oreos, popcorn, chocolates and trail mix in the break room five steps from my office.

Made amazing barbacoa in the crock pot yesterday, which I will be feasting on in various forms for the next few days. Here's a link to the recipe if anyone is interested:

http://www.gimmesomeoven.com/barbacoa-recipe/

Hope everyone has a lovely day. Keep up the good work!

• Administrators

So, meals today:

M1: Liver, egg, roast vegetables fried in duck fat.

M2: Baby spinach, avo, cold sliced roast lamb, walnuts and roast vegetable salad with olive oil/balsamic dressing.

M3: Reheated bolognese sauce on top of some freshly made cauliflower rice (used ghee to make the cauliflower rice) -enough left for breakfast tomorrow.

Your food looks so good, can I come over?!  ;)

• Administrators

I have to admit I am eating heaps of fruit between meals to waive off the sugar cravings but I am not too worried at this stage.

The last few weeks have been an absolute sugar/alcohol and Pepsi Max binge, what with Christmas and New Year so I reckon a few portions of natural sugar in the form of fruit is OK at this stage.

It is definitely better than the 200 grms average daily chocolate intake and the 4-5 cans of Pepsi Max so in context, fruit is good.

Hi Starbuck,

I don't want to burst your bubble but unfortunately your body is going to process the sugars in your fruits the same as in teh candy and pepsi that you were eating, both emotionally and physically. Yes, the fruit is more nutritionally sound but if one of your goals is to break that sugar-crutch habit, you just need to riiiiip that bandaid off and stop feeding sugar cravings with sweet things.  When you're craving sweets, go for fats to knock that craving down.  Olives are a great one for that because they are briney-salty and have a good fat content so they are basically the opposite of fruits and sugars.

You can do this, starbuck!  :D

Day 6.... WOW !

I had to count the days.... thought I was on Day 5!

Feeling ok...... I think I am eating enough because I do not have any physical hunger pangs.... mostly emotional / bored ones!

Those probably are the hardest to overcome.

Really enjoying my food !

Yesterdays meals:

M1..... sautéed potatoes, peppers, onions, celery and sausage (homemade) with three eggs on top....

M2..... salad: homemade dressing-olive oil, mustard, vinegar and spices.... lettuce, apples, pecans (just a few) , cucumbers and grape tomatoes, chicken breast

M3..... roast, sweet potatoes, mixture of sautéed broccoli, walnuts and onions of course with spices in olive oil.

Do my meals look fine?

Is anyone else feeling really really bloated by days end? :wacko:  :wacko:

Is that normal ?

Have a good one everyone! :rolleyes:

Hi Felicitas,

I too am a Newbie.  I just started Whole 30 on January 1st!  Yay!  I've experienced success staying on the path of Whole30 for 5 days now.

I am 55, and living in Corpus Christi, Texas in the great  United States of America!   have a wonderful husband and son who are trying to support me but love bread, bread, bread, and chocolate,

chocolate, chocolate--as in even on pretzels!

I've cleaned out all I could without making it difficult for them to live with me.  I've noticed that my resolve is really high and I keep all of their foods in a separate bin that I do not have to see or go near and so far its working.  It's helping me to read your blog and others to stay focused and feel a part of this great big group who is all working for a better life of health and wholeness. 

I welcome any suggestions on what to do in a family situation with a teen age son who needs a lot more fuel than I do.

All the best, Luci

Luci...

I am no expert and I don't pretend to have all the answers but I have been there and done that a bit.  I am married (20 years this summer) to my wife and we have two kids (11 and 12.5).  My son (12.5) is already 5'8" and growing.  My daughter is not far behind him.   I know about eating in the "growing" years.  I have also done 8 previous W30's where I am the only one in the house on the program.

I have to admit, I have been pretty lucky when on plan.  When I am off plan, I cycle between regret for what I eat then immediately thinking about the next sugary, sweet, processed thing I can eat and then back to regret.  

When On plan, I am 100% committed (all or nothing) and I have no issue.  My wife sends me to the local bakery to pick up bread, muffins and scones for our family on Saturday AM, all while I am on the W30.  If I stick to the template and eat on plan, I never have any issues making good choices.  This program gives me fantastic control.  The chemistry of eating is very powerful!

With that background.  I do make many/most of the meals for our family and they are sympathetic but not on the W30.  I typically make the base protein so all of us can eat it and make separate side dishes for myself and others (I might have cooked carrots and a salad) while I make fries for the kids or a side of humus and pita for my wife.  It became much easier when W30 rules allowed potato because my son does not like sweet potato.  I often make white potato mash (with garlic and EVOO) or cut up roasted potato wedges (EVOO and chili seasoning (make sure W30 compliant) in the oven for 45 minutes) which everyone enjoys.

Last night was a good example.  My kids and my wife like "Taco Tuesdays" so Monday night I took out two Lbs of pasture fed ground beef and in one pan they added taco seasoning and made tacos while I made a ground beef base with carrots, asparagus, red peppers, onion, coconut milk, curry, salt and pepper. Their dinner smelled pretty good but mine was fantastic!!!  I called it curried goulash!  Much like the "Well Fed" concept.

For me it is not too much extra work because between the four of us, we always had different preferences and/or dislikes.  I have no issue (or temptation) making a pot of stove-top stuffing for the kids while I make my cabbage and kale salad for me.  They sometimes also make a pot of rice (in the rice cooker) which is again not a temptation at all. 

It does take a little dedication not to lick the knife after making my daughter's Nutella sandwich or having the three "leftover" french fries in the kitchen but being on plan really helps me not need or want any of those former triggers.  I know others have said that they cannot have any temptations in the house but I have been pretty successful co-habitating with my non-W30 family members!

Good luck!

Cheers

DJ

Made amazing barbacoa in the crock pot yesterday, which I will be feasting on in various forms for the next few days. Here's a link to the recipe if anyone is interested:

http://www.gimmesomeoven.com/barbacoa-recipe/

Hope everyone has a lovely day. Keep up the good work!

Looks really good, I am going to have to try it!

Thanks for sharing!

Day 6.... WOW !

I had to count the days.... thought I was on Day 5!

Feeling ok...... I think I am eating enough because I do not have any physical hunger pangs.... mostly emotional / bored ones!

Those probably are the hardest to overcome.

Yesterdays meals:

M1..... sautéed potatoes, peppers, onions, celery and sausage (homemade) with three eggs on top....

M2..... salad: homemade dressing-olive oil, mustard, vinegar and spices.... lettuce, apples, pecans (just a few) , cucumbers and grape tomatoes, chicken breast

M3..... roast, sweet potatoes, mixture of sautéed broccoli, walnuts and onions of course with spices in olive oil.

Do my meals look fine?

Is that normal ?

Have a good one everyone! :rolleyes:

Donna

Food looks really good.  I see no concerns (assuming the mustard you use in the dressing is complaint).  

I have to say that I have never really experienced much bloating on the program (even in the early days) which is in stark contrast to how bloated I felt over this most recent Christmas season.  I felt like the Hindenburg (before Jan 1) and now am feeling (back) to normal after only (as you say) six days!!!

Cheers

DJ

• Administrators

Yesterdays meals:

Do my meals look fine?

Is that normal ?

Looks pretty good!  If you're getting 4-5 hours in between meals, not starving, not having massive hard-to-handle cravings, then you're doing just fine. 

As far as bloating, I've highlit the items that are common in causing digestive upset.  Take a look and see if you are eating more of these than you are used to.  Raw veggies can also cause bloating so you might want to consider replacing the salad with a few cups of cooked veggies if you can.  Play around and see how you go.  Do know that depending on what your intake was like before Whole30, your body could be lacking the right gut bacteria in order to properly digest these whole foods.  If it gets bad you could consider taking a digestive enzyme or a probiotic to help your gut get a 'leg up' as it were.  Sauerkraut, kombucha, compliant kimchi are all great examples of probiotics that you could eat.

Thank you...my meal times are 6:00 am; 12 noon and 5-5:30 pm.

I will wait and see how I feel and maybe try some sauerkraut as I do know where to find complaint sauerkraut ! :wub:  :wub:

And yes my mustard was complaint!

Day 6 and dare I say it has been great so far. Have felt better than I have in a while and compared to my first W30, unbelievable. Now I will say, ask me how I feel on Day 21? I realize this is only week 1 but I haven't suffered carb flu or sugar withdrawal like the last time. Could be that I tweaked my diet after my first W30 in October 2015 and further cut back on sugar and stopped using cream in my morning coffee. Nevertheless, I know that the month isn't over yet.

Here are a couple of things I attribute to my to date success this time around.

1. I am following the meal templates instead of my first time around where I thought I knew better. Also, I added a PWM since I train in the mornings. I actually have eaten cans of sardines at 6 am but I can tell you it has made a positive difference in my training. Last time around I thought I "knew better" and was above this practice. This time I decided to take direction and not act like I know every damn thing.

2. Letting go of only eating "breakfast" type foods for breakfast. This was a huge issue for me first time around but when I rock kale, green beans and a clean protein source along with some healthy fat, I actually feel less hungry, more energetic, and far more mentally grounded. Go friggin figure...

3. Slowing down to read labels. Quick label reading doesn't work for me. I can't believe how many jarred foods contain sulfites. If I am in doubt about something, I just forgo.

Hello everyone.

Good to see that people are making good progress and sharing lots of ideas and tips.

As for me. So far so good.

I have had some pretty strange withdrawal symptoms, the most dominant being hot flushes and aching bones, but seriously, compared to the pain and discomfort of guilt, sugar comas and mood swings they are pretty mild.

The most dominant feeling I have this evening is a sense of being in control which is a good feeling after weeks of out of control eating and drinking.

Keep up the great work everyone :-)

Coming from a fellow former chocolate and diet Pepsi addict - I feel your pain. I definitely limped through my first "Whole30" using fruit and "paleo muffins" as crutches (in hindsight- i realize now I didn't really follow all the rules...so maybe it wasn't really a whole30) But at the time it worked for me and still made huge improvements. It took my second whole30, once I had figured out all the other meals, to really focus on kicking the sugar dragon. Now on my 4th round and learning and improving and getting to focus on new things. I don't think I could ever go back to the diet Pepsi way... chocolate though still haunts me :) 

Man alive, the tired phase has landed and it is not joking around! I didn't sleep well last night, which is definitely not helping. But, seriously, all I want to do is crawl under my desk and take a nap. (Or, more accurately, into my bed, since I work at home.) I'm holding out in the hopes that I'll be able to get a more solid night of sleep if I forgo the mid-day nap, but we will see!

I'm reaching the end of my food supplies, so I'm ignoring the siren song of my pillow and planning out next week's meals. It's surprisingly enjoyable. One of my goals for this W30 was to add some new ingredients into the mix. I stuck with tried and true recipes for week one, but this week I'm going to make a kohlrabi salad (this recipe if anyone is interested) and Stupid Easy Paleo's plantain recipe (assuming that the supermarket still has plantains, they had them a couple of weeks ago.) I'm a little too excited about this. I blame the lack of wine... ;)

To the pepsi drinkers, I kicked a pretty substantial Diet Coke habit on my first W30. The struggle is real. I found those flavored LaCroix sparkling waters (or make your own with lemon or lime juice) to be a super helpful substitution. It's not sweet, but the carbonation fooled my brain enough to ease the cravings. I tried it once or twice post-W30 and it just didn't seem worth it any more. (It also gave me a wicked headache, so that definitely helped my resolve.) 

Pleasant dreams, everyone!  :D

Whacking my way through day 6. Feeling much sharper than yesterday -- I actually remembered to bring lunch to work, even though I had to eat half of it before a class I taught, and the other half afterwards. (Dratted people "stopping by" my office to ask me millions of questions). And there was almost a fire evacuation. I was beginning to think that lunch was cursed, but the evacuation was called off (fortunately they figured out it was a false alarm BEFORE throwing us all out in the cold).

Leaving work asap. Supper with feet up sounds good right about now, but I will be missing that glass of wine. I will sip some coconut water in my water. Does not sound inspiring. Maybe I'll pick up a lime on the way home. I had a lovely dram of scotch last night. In my dreams! Really! It was another one of those dreams that felt real and I was very relieved it was not!

Have a good evening, afternoon, morning, middle of night everyone. It is fun having an international group!

Hi everyone, I started on the second so this is day 5 for me.

I'm Laura, 35 from England. This will be my second w30 but the first was several years ago and motivated purely by weight loss. I did lose weight, but failed to appreciate any other benefits and the obvious happened...

So here I am, clinically obese but more importantly feeling yuk so treating this as my first w30 really.

I have actually felt OK thus far, apart from a killer headache which I assume was sugar withdrawal and thankfully subsided yesterday. I remember carb flu being hideous last time so have eaten quite a lot of starchy veg-sweet potatoes are my friends!

So today I have eaten:

3 egg omelette, berries with coconut milk and some almonds

Pepper, cucumber, pineapple, chicken

Mixed nuts, chicken, tomatoes

Madras chicken salad, sweet potato wedges

Wait-that's 4 meals? Yes it is. So my problem is this-I get up with kids at about 6.45. So I need to eat breakfast before I leave the house at 8, which is fine. BUT I get home after school run, do housework etc then leave at 11.30 to do my lunchtime job, back home by 2. Obviously I work over my meal 2 time. I tried eating a bigger breakfast but I cannot eat enough to keep me going for 7 hours and that's far from ideal!

So I have been splitting my m2 and eating some of it at 11, then the bulk of it at 2, keeping me going till m3 at 7 (because I also work in the early evening).

This is working ok, does it seem right? I can't see any other way around it.

Sorry for the epic post!

• Administrators

So I have been splitting my m2 and eating some of it at 11, then the bulk of it at 2, keeping me going till m3 at 7 (because I also work in the early evening).

This is working ok, does it seem right? I can't see any other way around it.

Hi Laura,

If that's working for you it's probably alright. If you are finding that you're famished, you could consider eating your entire lunch at either 11 or 2 and having an additional snack at the other time.  This way you aren't shortchanging yourself on nutrition when you have these long days.  See how you go, if you're not starved or dealing with unmanageable cravings at night or super tired/headachy, you're probably just fine doing it that way.

One of my friends mums used to keep a huge tub of fried rice (not W30 compliant) in the fridge for her teenage son (otherwise he ate any pre-prepped meals she made lol). She'd throw in any leftovers (especially protein) and rice gave him plenty of energy for his team sports. He was allowed to eat as much of that as he wanted, but he had to eat his other meals too (he was over 6'4" at 15, so there was some serious growing going on).

Sweet potatoes and other things are great too, but sometimes at those volumes, it's hard to keep up, unless they're also peeling veggies ;)

I get some really weird feelings when detoxing from artificial sweeteners. I usually don't have any but had a bit of SF soft drink last year, prior to starting my W30. The detox feeling is one of the reasons I gave it up, as I really think my body doesn't like it. I've switched to La Croix style mineral water instead :)

When On plan, I am 100% committed (all or nothing) and I have no issue.  My wife sends me to the local bakery to pick up bread, muffins and scones for our family on Saturday AM, all while I am on the W30.  If I stick to the template and eat on plan, I never have any issues making good choices.  This program gives me fantastic control.  The chemistry of eating is very powerful!

It does take a little dedication not to lick the knife after making my daughter's Nutella sandwich or having the three "leftover" french fries in the kitchen but being on plan really helps me not need or want any of those former triggers.  I know others have said that they cannot have any temptations in the house but I have been pretty successful co-habitating with my non-W30 family members!

My first W30 I really struggled with the "temptations in the house" thing, but over time I actually think it made me stronger and more able to cope with surprise temptations when I'm out of the house. My partner is supportive but a bit clueless about food, so sometimes he asks me silly things, like to taste pasta to see if it's done right ;) On the flip side, although he can have whatever he wants, he often skips noodles and things I can't eat, which he didn't used to. He just doesn't miss them.

Archived