CALLING ALL JANUARY 1ST WHOLE30ERS!

found.in.nature

That's what we call 'mayo fail' but don't throw it out... you can make dressing out of it! Coleslaw is my fave but there are loads you can use.

The best bet is an immersion blender and a 500ml mason jar... there's no need to bring things to room temp and it's a lot less time/work... I've never had a mayo fail doing it that way (or any way, but I don't want to brag ;))

Put the below phrase into Google and a ton of threads come up.

whole 30 mayo fail

Aw, I failed at making mayonnaise! Ha ha ha, oh well try, try again! Thanks

• Replies 814
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just did a bit of a food shop and got some great grass fed marrow bones cut in half from my butcher to make broth and some other yummy goodies, then nipped into a little health food shop where I picked up some nice kombucha's and coconut amines and also picked up some kelp 'noodles'. They appear compliant but just wanted to double check-ingredients are water, kelp and sodium alginate which I understand is sourced from brown seaweed. Thoughts? No issues if they aren't, will just put them aside til after but thought they might be nice with the beef strips I got today.  :)

• Moderators

Kelp noodles are a bit of a gray area... I would say no because they're designed to be a noodle substitute and no recreating those types of things on the Whole30. I would wait till you were done and then have them, personally.

Day 6 is a wrap folks! I'm still sick with a cold and it's working it's way down to my chest now. Still gargling salt water and drinking tea. Hopefully this is the tail end of it. Day 6 was pretty uneventful. I felt energetic and even-tempered all day until this afternoon, when I started to feel tired and lethargic. That might just be a symptom of the cold itself. I'm looking forward to getting over this thing so that I can start exercising again. 

Here is what I ate:

B: Leftover mashed sweet potatoes topped with ghee, guacamole, 2 eggs cooked in ghee, coffee with coconut milk

L: leftover turkey burger topped with guacamole served over power greens with black olives and baby carrots and a drizzle of avocado oil. A few macadamia nuts. 

D: simple chili (added potatoes to the recipe from the book).

I really like garlic and chilli peppers when I've got a cold, and lemongrass & ginger tea. Were you hungry after your breakfast today? Only 2 eggs.

Thanks for pointing that out. I usually eat more eggs than that, but I was having some weird aversion to eggs yesterday morning and today and that is all I can stomach. Luckily I wasn't hungry between meals, but I'll try to up it tomorrow.  :)

<insert minor cooking tantrum here>

It's my own fault, I usually crack eggs into a separate bowl before adding them to anything (to keep shell out mostly) but today I just cracked the egg straight in the bowl, the last ingredient in fabulous salmon cakes.

The egg was all yukky inside :o:blink:  have to throw the whole lot out, ugh. What a waste :angry:  :(

So, needing a plan B for Meal 2, in progress. Having a cup of tea while I warm up some chicken in the oven I already preheated.

Hello All!  I hope everyone's day was Wholesome (wink, wink). I felt really good today.

M1 - Spinach, onion, mushroom, peppers and sausage frittata, in coconut oil, sweet potato with ghee, and apple

M2- Ground Turkey with tomatoes, zuchini noodles, and handful of almonds.

mini meal - 2 hard boiled eggs and small tangerine

M3 - Classic Chili (Whole30recipe) with added potato, and topped with guacamole, salad of cucumber, tomato and greens with Tessamae lemon garlic dressing.

I feel like this week has gone by quickly.  Reading everyone's post is very motivating and helpful.  I've never been part of a forum before and I'm glad I joined.

So I just want to thank everyone for sharing!

Kelp noodles are a bit of a gray area... I would say no because they're designed to be a noodle substitute and no recreating those types of things on the Whole30. I would wait till you were done and then have them, personally.

Yes I thought they might be considered a bit SWYPO but then wondered what the difference was between them and say Zoodles (is that what the zucchini noodles are called?) or even, spaghetti squash as far as trying to create texture and visual consistency with noodles? Not trying to be obstructive but just curious about where the line is drawn? I'm pretty sure there were no white potatoes the first time I did a W30 even though there is now but personally I'm choosing not to go there because I'm not good with starchy carbs and recognise the lack of impulse I have around them. I don't have the same feelings about kelp or the veggie noodle side of things though. Thanks for the response though. :)  

.... also picked up some kelp 'noodles'. They appear compliant but just wanted to double check-ingredients are water, kelp and sodium alginate which I understand is sourced from brown seaweed. Thoughts? No issues if they aren't, will just put them aside til after but thought they might be nice with the beef strips I got today.  :)

Zucchini zoodles are perfect for anything that's great with noodles :)

The kelp noodles are quite low in nutrition and likely to push more nutritious things off your plate.

By the way, has anyone else been busted in supermarkets/shops wandering around talking to themselves while reading labels on packaging saying things like: "Oh for goodness sake! Why can't they just put the actual product in the package without all this other sh!t?!" Had a few people laughing at me today  :P

I'm pretty sure there were no white potatoes the first time I did a W30 even though there is now but personally I'm choosing not to go there because I'm not good with starchy carbs and recognise the lack of impulse I have around them.

You're right, they weren't in the original. If you haven't read it, here is the post about why they were added back in: http://whole30.com/2014/07/new-whole30/

I used to avoid them, but I find I don't crave bad things made with them now, so I'm fine to eat them sometimes. I mostly save them for the occasional mash and roast potatoes with a roast chicken. Plantains are another starch I eat now, which I actually prefer to white potato.

By the way, has anyone else been busted in supermarkets/shops wandering around talking to themselves while reading labels on packaging saying things like: "Oh for goodness sake! Why can't they just put the actual product in the package without all this other sh!t?!" Had a few people laughing at me today  :P

lol I have been heard ranting "Why can't the food just be made out of FOOD?!!?" and once I got a "you tell it sister" which totally cracked me up, as it was from an elderly gentleman.

• Moderators

Yes I thought they might be considered a bit SWYPO but then wondered what the difference was between them and say Zoodles (is that what the zucchini noodles are called?) or even, spaghetti squash as far as trying to create texture and visual consistency with noodles? Not trying to be obstructive but just curious about where the line is drawn? I'm pretty sure there were no white potatoes the first time I did a W30 even though there is now but personally I'm choosing not to go there because I'm not good with starchy carbs and recognise the lack of impulse I have around them. I don't have the same feelings about kelp or the veggie noodle side of things though. Thanks for the response though. :)

Zoodles are just a vegetable cut in a different manner... spagetti squash comes from nature all noodley... the problem with kelp noodles is they're processed to make a 'noodle'. If they came from the sea noodley, then that's one thing but it's not just kelp, it's got other things in it to process it into something it isn't... hence the swypo ruling.

One other thing on the kelp noodles... carrageenan is also 'sourced from seaweed' and it is so terrible for you, it's called out specifically as an 'avoid at all costs' additive on Whole30... that said, I don't think Kelp noodles fall into that category at all but beware the 'but it's made out of natural things' thought...

And I totally didn't think you were being obstructive! You were polite and curious! We love that here!

You may want to try things like squash or beets or other root vegetable because we do recommend (especially for women around the time of their period) that you eat a fist sized serving once a day. They're good for you and your body does need them. Truth be told, I have to also limit my white potato intake because I lovee love love them... like... more than is reasonable... I don't feel the same level of hysterical love for butternut squash so that's a better option for me and I"m sure you can find an option that works for you too!

• Moderators

That used to be me when I first started too... only I would exclaim 'OH GROSS' as I shoved the offending product back onto the shelf... you learn pretty quick that there isn't much with a label that is going to be your friend.

Thanks guys, just did a quick search and you are right, nutritionally they are a bit suss. I just assumed because I actually love kelp and live near a fantastic Chinese/Korean/Vietnamese area with fab grocery stores where I can buy fresh kelp and often add it to my stock and broth that because it was kelp it would be packed full of nutrients but naively did not take into account the processing side of things-doh!

Thanks guys, just did a quick search and you are right, nutritionally they are a bit suss. I just assumed because I actually love kelp and live near a fantastic Chinese/Korean/Vietnamese area with fab grocery stores where I can buy fresh kelp and often add it to my stock and broth that because it was kelp it would be packed full of nutrients but naively did not take into account the processing side of things-doh!

There are some similar sweet potato noodles too, but again, they are processed. Better than wheat ones, but ya know, what isn't? lol

I love my spiraliser, I found using a little hand one was no good for me making zoodles, I'd just give up when my hand starting cramping.

This one allows me to churn out 2 kilos of zoodles if I want: http://www.amazon.com/Paderno-World-Cuisine-A4982799-Tri-Blade/dp/B0007Y9WHQ

Day 5/6! Yesterday I went MIA for some TLC. I've been sleeping terribly the past week mostly due to severe life stress, and it all finally caught up with me. I took it easy yesterday and went to bed early to catch back up. I'm feeling a bit better, but I'm going to need a few solid nights to get the ol' sleep tank filled back up.

Day 5:

M1: scrambled eggs, cauliflower w/ evoo, leftover sausage from dinner

M2: tuna on spinach, peppers, avocado, 1/2 potato, evoo

M3: I did the salmon benedict from the W30 book, and the husband raved about the hollandaise! Side salad of spinach with evoo

Day 6:

M1: fried eggs (husband made! With coconut oil, he remembered!), canned sweet potato (tummy still upset, took it easy)

M2*: compliant chicken sausage, roasted veggies, slightly marred 1/2 avocado

M3: roasted chicken, leftover roasted veggies, 1/2 potato w/ ghee

*So, I fixed myself what my mother calls a "pick your poison" plate of leftovers for lunch. I stepped away from the table to tend to the kiddo that got herself caught in a typical toddler-related emergency (got stuck climbing the stairs again), and my dog ate the whole thing! Chicken thigh and sausage patty gone, and was going to town on my avocado when my husband caught her and wrangled what was left of the avocado from her. I was pretty hangry and super irritated that I didn't think to put my food up when I walked away. The dog is a notorious "counter surfer" and we have to take thoughtful measures around her!

Now it's late and I need sleep. Good luck everyone, I hope to check back in soon!

*So, I fixed myself what my mother calls a "pick your poison" plate of leftovers for lunch. I stepped away from the table to tend to the kiddo that got herself caught in a typical toddler-related emergency (got stuck climbing the stairs again), and my dog ate the whole thing! Chicken thigh and sausage patty gone, and was going to town on my avocado when my husband caught her and wrangled what was left of the avocado from her. I was pretty hangry and super irritated that I didn't think to put my food up when I walked away. The dog is a notorious "counter surfer" and we have to take thoughtful measures around her!

Having lost a meal today to a different kind of mishap, I totally understand. Get some sleep, you'll feel better tomorrow :)

Day 7 down and rumbling along ok. The tiredness from yesterday disappeared for me and it was good to go out to stock up on food. It has been SOOOO wet in Sydney of late just raining torrentially for days, seems like the whole state is flooded but today it finally dried up somewhat and I was able to go for a long walk and also did a 5km run by the river, which was great, was going quite stir crazy being inside and listening to rain.

As mentioned before I bought some great grass fed beef bones from my butcher which have been browned in the oven and are now currently in my slow cooker making bone broth. I also put in an order for some organic chicken feet (I know, a bit eugh but great broth makers!) to pick up next week and got some fresh liver (so into liver at the moment!) and some of his nitrite free bacon. Honestly, I love our butcher, just a lovely, old fashioned Greek butcher who makes up his bacon and sausages from traditional recipes but also sources the best meat from quality farmers, all grass fed, most of it organic, we are just so lucky to have him nearby. 

So meal wise, started the day with a coffee with coconut milk, which wasn't as bad as I remember and then had dinner left overs from last night (cauliflower rice and bolognese sauce).

M2: I reheated some of the chicken soup I made last night and put a blob of ghee in it to fat it out a bit,  I know, sounds a bit yuk but otherwise I would have been down on the fat quota and I couldn't be bothered cleaning up more mess/dishes  :P was actually quite yummy.

PWO: I had a few walnuts and half an avo with some EVO/lemon and salt and cracked pepper.

M3: Made a yummy papaya/Avo/red onion/celery/cucumber salad with an EVO/lime dressing, tossed a few chilli flakes through it and topped it with a few coconut flakes (omg-so good!!) had that with some steamed Chinese broccoli that I then tossed quickly in a pan with some garlic and coconut amines and threw a nice porterhouse on the barby grill. Was pretty impressed actually was a really really yummy meal. 

My family is away camping for a few days at the moment and I couldn't go due to work stuff but it has actually turned out well in that I can concentrate on cooking for me without having to child proof the meals or, AI them for the partner. Quite enjoying cooking just for one actually.  :P

I am finding quite heightened taste and smell senses though, which is good in some ways as far as cooking and eating but someone was in front of me at the supermarket with a cooked chicken and the smell of it literally made me gag. Has anyone else had this?

I  have to do a reset on the whole 30 part of this journey. Little things have been creeping in - non compliant condiments I am looking at you! and I want to be 100%.

And then --this  morning at 3:30 I went to a dunkin donuts drive through on the way to drop my daughter off at the airport and they put milk and sugar into my coffee. I usually don't even drink coffee ^_^. but i drank it because 3:30 and driving. 

So... Tomorrow will be day one again. Not complaining. I am already seeing benefits. My digestion is working! I am not bloated! I am pretty sure that I am lactose intolerant -from my last whole 30- so I will not let myself be completly derailed. I have reset my daily whole30 emails. I still have a meal plan in place. I am not going use this as an excuse to mess up the rest of the day or week or month. but 30 means 30 and so I am resetting now.

I am finding quite heightened taste and smell senses though, which is good in some ways as far as cooking and eating but someone was in front of me at the supermarket with a cooked chicken and the smell of it literally made me gag. Has anyone else had this?

I've had it too Sandy, for me I think it's the lack of grains, they seem to hamper my sense of smell a bit. It sure makes some food taste even better! ;) My English Tea Shop teas have a smell that really changes the flavor, so really into those at the moment :)

So... Tomorrow will be day one again. Not complaining. I am already seeing benefits. My digestion is working! I am not bloated! I am pretty sure that I am lactose intolerant -from my last whole 30- so I will not let myself be completly derailed. I have reset my daily whole30 emails. I still have a meal plan in place. I am not going use this as an excuse to mess up the rest of the day or week or month. but 30 means 30 and so I am resetting now.

Good for you Martha! YOU CAN DO THIS! :D

Day 6 for me and so far, the hardest day.

Yesterday we had the problem that the chicken I bought on monday had gone bad - so it was leftover night instead, which made me want to kill all the things even more. Also barely had any sleep day before yesterday due to a feverish toddler waking every hour or so and now I feel like I just want to nap.

I would pay money to just nap... Why oh why can't I just stop working now and go take a nap?

Food also not really tasting great today, despite a wonderful breakfast of spinach and proscuitto omelet + raw carrots with homemade ratatouille and some leftover chicken for lunch (which I normally love even when not on whole 30).

The thing I miss most so far is bread - I dreamt of eating a slice of white bread with peanutbutter last night and then felt really horrible, because I ate it without thinking and didn't realize it wasn't compliant. I felt so stupid for having put that in my mouth (even though it was just a dream).

That's the third day in a row I dream about failing my whole30 because of a silly automatic reaction to put stuff in my mouth without thinking it through - likely that's my dragon though, not really craving sugar or carbs in itself, but eating is like an automatic escapist reaction I have whenever stressed or bored...

Anybody else having dreams like that?

I too started Whole 30 January first. Influenced by my adult daughter, I finally saw the light. I already can smell and taste my food after years of sinus inflammation. Duh! As a sugar addict, I've know for years that I can't have "just a little". Whole 30 gets it right; NO added sugar period. So, I'm dreaming of donuts (even though donuts really aren't my thing!) and feel a kind of fear in the grocery store, that one or the millions of sugar laced foods on the shelves is going to slide accidentally into my mouth. I recently retired so I'm spending time in the kitchen that I wouldn't have had a year ago. I'm so happy with all the recipes I've tried in my whole 30 book! This weekend I'm tackling a couple of social engagements armed with whole 30 advise to bring my foods to share and make light mention only when asked. I'm excited to share this experience with all of you! Here's to day 7!!

YAY. Day 7…that means Week 1 right !!?!    Today is a work day which means waking up 2 hours before my body is ready to….sigh.

But, prepped all my food last night for a 10 -plus hour shift today…So, here goes.

Happy Thursday everyone.

Day 6.... WOW !

I had to count the days.... thought I was on Day 5!

Feeling ok...... I think I am eating enough because I do not have any physical hunger pangs.... mostly emotional / bored ones!

Those probably are the hardest to overcome.

Really enjoying my food !

Yesterdays meals:

M1..... sautéed potatoes, peppers, onions, celery and sausage (homemade) with three eggs on top....

M2..... salad: homemade dressing-olive oil, mustard, vinegar and spices.... lettuce, apples, pecans (just a few) , cucumbers and grape tomatoes, chicken breast

M3..... roast, sweet potatoes, mixture of sautéed broccoli, walnuts and onions of course with spices in olive oil.

Do my meals look fine?

Is anyone else feeling really really bloated by days end? :wacko::wacko:

Is that normal ?

Have a good one everyone! :rolleyes:

Archived