CALLING ALL JANUARY 1ST WHOLE30ERS!

found.in.nature

Happy Day 7!

Feeling kind of wired this morning. Not sure if this is the beginning of the promised return or energy or if after eating on plan for 6 full days my body is actually capable of catching a caffeine 'buzz' from my morning coffee.

Yesterday was a bad day, but I was prepared and made it through.

Feeling optimistic about getting through the next 2 days, so scheduled a facial for Saturday morning as my reward for getting through the first week.

• Replies 814
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Anybody having nightmares? I heard food 'nightmares' about eating off plan stuff is very common, but this is not the kind of nightmares I'm having. They are legit horrible nightmares about natural disasters and demons and scary monsters and my family dieing. Wtf? I'm on day 7 and this has happened every night since about day 3. I'm clocking 7-8hrs of sleep a night and I eat dinner about 4-5 hrs before I go to sleep. Can anybody offer some insight?

Day 7..... Yippee !   :D  :D  

So very happy, been feeling good with some minor stuff.

I am so glad that I do a lot of prep because I would not survive other wise.

Just makes things a little bit easier.

I have been getting weird dreams also and not about food. I have been a little tired in the mornings when I wake but hopefully that is just my body re-setting itself!

This time around I am trying to incorporate more exercise.... so far I have managed.

I went to an 'awesome' tae box class last night..... did not think I would make it but I did exhausted but still felt really good to accomplish it!

I really did enjoy myself :lol:  :lol:

Still am feeling a little bloated at the end of the day but we will see how the next few days go, hopefully that will also go away!

I also walk around the grocery store looking at labels and sadly most of the time putting the item back.

Hope everyone's else day is going great.... keep up the great work!

And I love reading about everyone's journey! 

And of course all the helpful advice!

• Administrators

Anybody having nightmares? I heard food 'nightmares' about eating off plan stuff is very common, but this is not the kind of nightmares I'm having. They are legit horrible nightmares about natural disasters and demons and scary monsters and my family dieing. Wtf? I'm on day 7 and this has happened every night since about day 3. I'm clocking 7-8hrs of sleep a night and I eat dinner about 4-5 hrs before I go to sleep. Can anybody offer some insight?

Ya, the nightmares are somewhat common, sorry!  :(  (I dreamed that I violently stabbed a puppy when I did my first Whole30..........)

It's all around your body readjusting and finding new hormonal balance.  It does go away though, you should be on the tail end, fingers crossed!

Although I'm a bit late in joining this forum, I've been following Whole30 since January 1st. Day 7, still on track but got this major headache that just doesn't want to go away. Yesterday, I was so bloated that I had trouble buttoning my pants at work. I've been reading the Whole30 timeline and my body responds a bit differently, although I assume that everybody's different. 

Anybody having a major headache today? 

Good job everyone!

Days 1 & 2 were marvelous. High energy, clear skin and very focused at the lab I work at. On day 3 now and I'm feeling pretty groggy and nursing a mild headache and fogginess.

Breakfast was en route to work, so just a banana and some almonds + some black coffee with cinnamon

Lunch was 2 homemade beef kebabs with garam masala, ginger, garlic, and cilantro + some sauteed peppers, mushrooms, and raw arugula. I had a third kebab packed, but this headache is curbing my appetite, and I couldn't touch it.

Sipping on some hot water w/ lemon now and getting tons of water. Hoping hydration kicks this headache. Any advice from the crowd?

• Administrators

Days 1 & 2 were marvelous. High energy, clear skin and very focused at the lab I work at. On day 3 now and I'm feeling pretty groggy and nursing a mild headache and fogginess.

Breakfast was en route to work, so just a banana and some almonds + some black coffee with cinnamon

Lunch was 2 homemade beef kebabs with garam masala, ginger, garlic, and cilantro + some sauteed peppers, mushrooms, and raw arugula. I had a third kebab packed, but this headache is curbing my appetite, and I couldn't touch it.

Sipping on some hot water w/ lemon now and getting tons of water. Hoping hydration kicks this headache. Any advice from the crowd?

Is this a typical breakfast for you?  If so, add some protein and some veggies, stat.  Fruit and fat does not a breakfast make. Nutrition is cummulative so a small and under represented breakfast is going to show up later in the day and days later as headaches, fogginess, lethargy etc. 

If this is not typical but was just today, know that a headache is fairly common in the first few days and since you came off an overnight fast and hit your body with sugar, you could be experiencing a blood sugar drop which can cause a headache.

Day 7! Today M2 is tough for me because my work offers yoga onsite from 1:30-2:30. I have tried eating smaller meals before, around 12, but even with a full hour from when i finish eating to when i start yoga i feel bad at yoga! But waiting until 2:30 to eat M2 is pushing it since I ate M1 at 6am... Thursday struggles! 

M1 today was 3 eggs, sweet potato, some spinach, a banana and a slice of avacado 

M2 today will be ground turkey with kale, zucchini, bell peppers, and onion. I think my plan will be to take literally 2 bites before yoga then finish after. 

Other than meal timing, today is going good. Yesterday by 3 pm i was ready to crawl under my desk for a nap and I assume I'll be exhausted today as well. but the light at the end of the tunnel is in sight! 

Oh I forgot to add my non scale victories per my fitbit on day 7:

• Resting heart rate has dropped consistently over the past 7 days from 66 to 60
  • Sleep went from 40+ times, 1.5 Hrs restless during the night to the last three nights have been 15-20 times and only 20-30 min restless

Anyone else a fitbit user and see their info change? It is kind of exciting to watch my sleep improve a little every day! 

@missmunchie: I have one of those dogs as well. It's so frustrating when you forget and step away. A while back, I left a jar of almond butter open because I was about to stir the oil in. For some unfathomable reason, I stepped away from the kitchen for just a second. I walk back in, to see him with the jar in his mouth. I yell drop it, (not really thinking that through... ) He does, almond butter oil explodes all over his head and the kitchen. It was a disaster. The only bright side was that because it was on the top of his head, he couldn't get at it. The other dog blissfully licked it all up. Poetic justice.

Day 7 seems better energy wise. I'm still a little spacey and having a tough time focusing, but that's getting better as well. I went out and did my grocery shopping this morning and it was such fun to have a conveyer belt full of yummy veggies. I felt quite virtuous. Plus, I not only found plantains, but also ingredients for a Thai green papaya salad which I love. Stupid Easy Paleo has a W30 compliant recipe, which I'm very excited to try. I also got some kohlrabi, so it's going to be all kinds of exotic next week.

And I'm also having crazy dreams, which isn't entirely unusual for me. But right before I woke up, I had one of the most hilarious W30 food dreams. I dreamed that whoever I was with was serving me these "tacos" where the shells were somehow made of pressed brown sugar (gotta love dream logic) and the fillings were something sweet, I can't remember what – I want to say pineapple in some sort of syrupy glaze. They were insisting I had to eat them and I was like "No, not only am I on W30, but those will make me feel terrible!" It was stressful in the dream, but immediately hilarious when I woke up. That's the first one of this W30, but I doubt it will be the last. 

Onward and upward, everyone! 

@runcolorado: I've noticed the same thing regarding heart rate. I've only had mine since Christmas, so I'd chalked it up to it just having more data to average, but it makes sense that better nutrition would result in a lower heart rate. (I was also drinking a lot more coffee before W30, which definitely influences my heart rate.)

I've also enjoyed watching the sleep patterns change. I still have a lot of restless/awake moments, but there are longer stretches of sleep between them. I'm excited to watch that data, since my sleep is always way better on a W30.

• Resting heart rate has dropped consistently over the past 7 days from 66 to 60
  • Sleep went from 40+ times, 1.5 Hrs restless during the night to the last three nights have been 15-20 times and only 20-30 min restless

Anyone else a fitbit user and see their info change? It is kind of exciting to watch my sleep improve a little every day! 

I have a jawbone and RHR has dropped from 61, 7 days ago to 58, sleep is way better too. I just had a session with my PT and even my PT (who is a notorious hard arse  :P ) said she was impressed with my endurance and strength, I went heavier, harder and longer in everything and this is only a week in-yay!

I already can smell and taste my food after years of sinus inflammation.

I get this one Whole30 too :D

Although I'm a bit late in joining this forum, I've been following Whole30 since January 1st. Day 7, still on track but got this major headache that just doesn't want to go away. Yesterday, I was so bloated that I had trouble buttoning my pants at work. I've been reading the Whole30 timeline and my body responds a bit differently, although I assume that everybody's different. 

Anybody having a major headache today? 

Good job everyone!

Are you eating a lot of raw veggies? They can cause bloat sometimes, it's just part of the adjustment usually. No headache for me, but I was feeling yukky and tired before today (Day 5 for me now).

Day 7! Today M2 is tough for me because my work offers yoga onsite from 1:30-2:30. I have tried eating smaller meals before, around 12, but even with a full hour from when i finish eating to when i start yoga i feel bad at yoga! But waiting until 2:30 to eat M2 is pushing it since I ate M1 at 6am...

Can you eat anything after 6am but well before yoga, say 11am?

Yep, more sleep, better heartrate, more active too :)

Hi all!

I totally forgot to post my check-in yesterday for Day 6. I had energy and positive mood (was also doing house work, day off work, was feeling good about my meals etc.) in the morning, but it dropped in the afternoon. I felt moody, exhausted, unfocused. I actually went to bed at 9pm (which is also why posting here totally slipped my mind). I remember reading that Day 6 it's typical to feel pretty tired. My meals were:

M1: 2-egg scramble with zucchini and a generous amount of spinach. Smoked salmon and avocado on the side.

M2: Taco salad - ground beef cooked with salsa on top of a bed of spinach. Other half of that avocado sliced on top. 

M3: Hot sausages (compliant) with carrots and Brussels sprouts

Made it to day 7 :)! Today was a good day. I slept in a little, didn't need to rush. I felt consistent energy all day and a pretty consistent positive mood. ALSO a client brought us in fresh, homemade cinnamon rolls!!! My admin assistant had closed the door to the kitchen and when I came out of my office she was like "don't go in there! There's fresh sugary good-ness and I didn't want you to feel tempted!" We both had a really good laugh at the universe plotting against me haha (she's aware of my Whole30, eats pretty clean herself, and is super cute and supportive of me). It made me smile that she was trying to help me - I'm fortunate to have a very supportive, pretty controllable, work environment. And you know what? I did go in the kitchen, walked right by them (and looked at them), and walked right out. I didn't really feel drawn in by them! Now, likely it's because I didn't think about it. You know? Picturing them or hyping it up. I just noticed them, thought that's thoughtful of the client, someone will enjoy those, and walked out!!!! I know I would have probably eaten one (and loved it) had I not been doing Whole30. It takes all of the decision making out of the equation! I didn't have to fight against an urge or feel deprived. It's hard to explain...but another NSV for moi :).

M1: Oven baked eggs over zucchini and tomatoes in olive oil and basil, with sweet potato (baked in olive oil) and blueberries. The eggs and the veggies were in an oven safe dish and baked all together (although I fried up the veggies to dehydrate a little before putting them in the dish for the eggs to go on). I was feeling creative and like I needed to eat something different, so breakfast was satisfying in a few ways.

M2: I had half a cucumber cut in half like logs with leftover smoked salmon on top and mammoth green olives. 

M3: STEAK! I love steak. I tried a new steak rub - I had to try it because she calls it the best steak rub ever. Here's the recipe for the rub http://awholenewtwist.com/best-steak-rub-ever/. I had the steak with broccoli and potatoes.

Feeling good today. Maybe I'm over the hump?? Fingers crossed! I'm going to go to bed shortly to keep with getting good sleep (I tend to be a night owl, then drag my butt in the mornings). Day 7 COMPLETE!!!!!!! :D

You're right, they weren't in the original. If you haven't read it, here is the post about why they were added back in: http://whole30.com/2014/07/new-whole30/

I used to avoid them, but I find I don't crave bad things made with them now, so I'm fine to eat them sometimes. I mostly save them for the occasional mash and roast potatoes with a roast chicken. Plantains are another starch I eat now, which I actually prefer to white potato.

omg, LOVE plantains! I need to hunt some down because my nearest grocery store (that used to carry them) seems to have stopped stocking them. I love them fried in coconut oil. Mmmmm

Day 7! Today M2 is tough for me because my work offers yoga onsite from 1:30-2:30. I have tried eating smaller meals before, around 12, but even with a full hour from when i finish eating to when i start yoga i feel bad at yoga! But waiting until 2:30 to eat M2 is pushing it since I ate M1 at 6am... Thursday struggles! 

M1 today was 3 eggs, sweet potato, some spinach, a banana and a slice of avacado 

M2 today will be ground turkey with kale, zucchini, bell peppers, and onion. I think my plan will be to take literally 2 bites before yoga then finish after. 

Other than meal timing, today is going good. Yesterday by 3 pm i was ready to crawl under my desk for a nap and I assume I'll be exhausted today as well. but the light at the end of the tunnel is in sight! 

I had the same problem today, but our yoga class is from 11:45-12:45. I usually eat M2 around 11:30. I knew my stomach would be growling through the whole class if I didn't something, but like you I don't like going to yoga after I have eaten a meal or even a mini-meal. Today I ate half Nick's beef stick and a hand full of raw almonds. It worked, just enough to get me through.

My company had a business meeting today at an Italian cafe, of all places! Trays of goodies on the tables. Sugar was not only flowing but being pushed. Even so, while folks were a bit amazed, no one really cared all that much when I said I wasn't doing sugar this month. Happily I can report, the coffee was fantastic!

Hello All, well day 7 is done. I was very tired this morning and I had a very difficult time getting out of bed! I felt very lethargic all day. Drank a little more coffee than I usually do today.

M1- 3 scrambled eggs, spaghetti squash

M2- salad with chicken breast and black olives

M3- steak, baked potato plain, salad

I made some chicken meatballs tonight and baked a couple of sweet potatoes for tomorrows meals. I find it helpful to have meals planned out and to do some preparing ahead of time to keep me focused and on track. Healthy eating everyone! :)  

Hey everyone - I made it to day 7 but I need to gracefully exit this thread as I just found out that I am very newly pregnant. I guess that would explain the "weird aversion" to eggs I've been having!  I hope to return to do a W30 after the first trimester ends and nausea subsides, but for now I think I will be shifting over to a paleo diet (which may include some grass-fed yogurt and butter). Thank you all for your support this past week and best of luck to you on your individual journeys!

Hey everyone - I made it to day 7 but I need to gracefully exit this thread as I just found out that I am very newly pregnant. I guess that would explain the "weird aversion" to eggs I've been having!  I hope to return to do a W30 after the first trimester ends and nausea subsides, but for now I think I will be shifting over to a paleo diet (which may include some grass-fed yogurt and butter). Thank you all for your support this past week and best of luck to you on your individual journeys!

CONGRATULATIONS LAURA!!! Fantastic news and all the best for your pregnancy!!  :D

DAY 5.  NOT SLEEPING WELL.  Can't remember EVER going this long without CHEESE :wacko: And, honestly, I haven't been without evening WINE in way too long.  I remain 100% committed and haven't cheated in the slightest.  I made up my mind, and I like (maybe too strong of a word at this point) that I am challenging my issues with self-control.  It hasn't been that hard really, except in regard to SLEEP.  It takes me forever to fall asleep, and I wake up often during the first few hours, sometimes able to fall back to sleep within a few minutes and sometimes not for hours.  I know people say alcohol messes with your sleep, and maybe it does for many people, but I don't sleep nearly as well without it.  I WANT to learn to sleep better without it.  One of my main goals in participating in the Whole30 is to learn to "take it or leave it" in regard to wine... maybe I am a true "wino"  :o  Anyway, I am sticking with the program and I remain unwavering in my commitment.  I guess I'm wondering if anyone else has struggled with the sleep issue... is it fairly normal early in the program???  Does it get better???  FYI, I did break down and take melatonin one night (not that helpful) and Tylenol PM one night (somewhat helpful), but I don't want to have to rely on anything for sleep.  Deep breathing, imagery, and progressive muscle relaxation have been somewhat helpful at times... other suggestions????  Thanks for listening.  It helps just to share.

Trying to be very organised and sort out a photo bucket of meals cooked to date. I haven't taken photos of everything I've cooked but have tried to take at least one a day. Hopefully this works: http://s1318.photobucket.com/user/bornsandy/library/Whole%2030%20meals?sort=2&page=1

Yum! They look great. I post sometimes on Insta

Archived