CALLING ALL JANUARY 1ST WHOLE30ERS!

found.in.nature

Day 11

After reading some of the posts, have to say I am a little jealous...... Soooooooooooo hot !

I live at the other spectrum................ soooooooooooooo cold!  Woke up this morning to -27 with a wind chill of -35!

But as I am use to it, I just chug on and I know that this too will end!  Can hardly wait !

We have been spoiled this winter and it has been absolutely beautiful up until Saturday when the cold spell hit so I am not complaining as this could be months on end, a week or two is a lot more bearable!

Made it through the weekend, not a lot of fancy meals but still complement!

Our big dinner on Saturday turned out amazing!

My daughter was leaving on Sunday for her last semester of Law School, so we had a little celebration.

So some of her friends and our family.

The spaghetti sauce we made was complement, the ceasar dressing we made was complement ........ and everyone raved about the dinner.

They did not know how healthy they were eating. :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

It is nice to know that healthy can also be tasty!

Have to say that I am glad to be back to my routine! Makes doing the Whole30 a lot easier!

I am a little tired but that could just be the weather! Other than that the bad bloating at the end of the day seems to have gone for now! :wacko:  :wacko:

Keep up the good work everyone! ;)

• Replies 814
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks everyone for the feedback! And thanks Sugarcube for the input on needing to eat more during that special time! I didn't even think about that.

I will definitely be adding more fat protein and veggies to stay full, I just thought it was so weird that I went for 8 days being totally full and satisfied then bam on days 9 on 10 that same about of food didn't seem to be making a dent! (And I was even working out less!!)

Day 11 - and i haven't felt this tired waking up in a week! But that may be just because it's Monday morning.. <_<  On the positive side though; I slept much much better, eating in the morning was 100 times easier today than it was last Monday and I was able to gobble down a large breakfast of eggs, onion, spinach, sweet potato and avocado and actually enjoy it! Once I was up i felt better, more clear and energized. Hoping my workouts this week feel stronger!! :D  :D

Ok. …at the risk of sounding like a big baby here I'm going to whine (just a bit)….Day 11..woke up with a headache and stomach feels "raw"…My biggest failing is "Meal 1"…Can't seem to get any interest drummed up until about 9 or 10 am.  Is there any way to do a "mini meal" as meal 1 ?  I usually make a beautiful veggie scramble and a piece of fruit for "breakfast" but it's really "brunch"…then I'm not hungry til about 3pm when I have a big green salad with shrimp or boiled eggs,

Of course, THEN…I'm not hungry at all for "meal 3" . Last night I had 2 handfuls of nuts and some kombucha for "dinner" around 8pm and then to bed by 10:30..and this morning..yuck…really could use some "tiger blood"..)-:  I don't work today and just looked at the clock…it's after 9 am and I haven't made breakfast yet…coffee with full-fat coconut milk is all I've managed so far. The advice to forgo coffee until after eating sounds almost impossible to me…should I force Meal 1 ?  OK. that was my 'whine'.  Otherwise, on to the 2nd 3rd of the Whole30 !!! :mellow:

Hi Everyone! I sure am late to posting, but I started my W30 on Jan. 2, so I am on Day 9. This is my second round (first in 2013). I am in grad school and have let my nutrition and exercise habits fall by the wayside in the last few years. I am so excited to give myself this gift, and since I'm already though the worst symptoms of the program, I'm happy to report that my energy levels are increasing and that I'm feeling very happy and balanced. I'm considering extending to a Whole60 or 90 - but will decide in a few weeks. 

I hope everyone who started in January is starting to finally feel some magic!

Ok. …at the risk of sounding like a big baby here I'm going to whine (just a bit)….Day 11..woke up with a headache and stomach feels "raw"…My biggest failing is "Meal 1"…Can't seem to get any interest drummed up until about 9 or 10 am.  Is there any way to do a "mini meal" as meal 1 ?  I usually make a beautiful veggie scramble and a piece of fruit for "breakfast" but it's really "brunch"…then I'm not hungry til about 3pm when I have a big green salad with shrimp or boiled eggs,

Of course, THEN…I'm not hungry at all for "meal 3" . Last night I had 2 handfuls of nuts and some kombucha for "dinner" around 8pm and then to bed by 10:30..and this morning..yuck…really could use some "tiger blood"..)-:  I don't work today and just looked at the clock…it's after 9 am and I haven't made breakfast yet…coffee with full-fat coconut milk is all I've managed so far. The advice to forgo coffee until after eating sounds almost impossible to me…should I force Meal 1 ?  OK. that was my 'whine'.  Otherwise, on to the 2nd 3rd of the Whole30 !!! :mellow:

I'm no moderator, but for me eating breakfast at 6am the first week was seriously painful. I had to choke it down and just wanted to keep complaining with every bite. Now that my body has adjusted though I find eating at 6 much more enjoyable.. it just took some time for my internal clock to reboot I suppose.

Day 11, already over a third of the way in! 

Weekend went pretty smoothly. Meal timing was a little all over the place, but we did the best we could. Both days had a bigger M1 than usual, balanced by a smaller M2 and then a normal M3. 

On Saturday morning, I made Stupid Easy Paleo's Blueberry Tortilla for breakfast with some sauteed kale and roasted potatoes. So good! It didn't necessarily need the potatoes, but Hubby gets a little ketogenic on W30 (At least I think so, he gets this weird "old man smell" that we've diagnosed with the Google.) So, this time around I'm making him eat more starchy veg and see if that fixed the issue. The rest of the day was spent cooking up a bunch of food for the week, while hubby cleaned the house. Not the most fun way to spend a day, but the payoff of having an easier time during the work week is more than worth it. We capped off the evening with a yummy dinner and watching a movie on the couch.

Sunday was our fun day. We went for a nice hike with my brother/sister-in-law. Our younger dog got to run around like crazy and act like a goofball and we didn't get rained on, so it was very successful. :-) We went to The Counter for dinner, which was a great W30 dining choice. For those unfamiliar with the chain, it's a burger place where you can customize your entire order. Got a burger patty over salad with avocado and all of the compliant veggies on the list. Brought a little thing of paleo ranch in my purse. While it was easy to order, it was definitely a challenge to not get fries, an adult beverage or milkshake. Even on W30 number three, there's still so much to learn about all of the habits that make up our eating choices.

Sleep is getting better and better. I had the most vivid W30 dream that I'd eaten something without thinking and had to start over. It's so funny to me that these dreams have such power. I'm pretty comfortable with the template, so it's not like the first one where I was really worried about messing up and "wasting all of that hard work." Maybe it's more that I need different things from it now and my subconscious doesn't want to screw that up. The brain is a funny thing.

**Alert**  I'm about to share a guilty confession....

This forum is making my second Whole30 amazingly easier and better! 

I know, I know, it's not juicy gossip but that's how I feel.

After reading another person's post on misusing food as a treat, I realized I had done just that myself, the night before! I sat in front of the TV with pistachios and plantain chips.  I remained compliant but I now realize that I did violate the spirit of Whole30.  Lesson learned and

I will not eat ANYTHING while watching tv. 

I don't know if I ever would have self analyzed myself without this forum, so thanks for the support and continue posting your challenges.

You just don't know who may benefit from it.  :D

Feeling grateful XOXO

**Alert**  I'm about to share a guilty confession....

This forum is making my second Whole30 amazingly easier and better! 

I know, I know, it's not juicy gossip but that's how I feel.

After reading another person's post on misusing food as a treat, I realized I had done just that myself, the night before! I sat in front of the TV with pistachios and plantain chips.  I remained compliant but I now realize that I did violate the spirit of Whole30.  Lesson learned and

I will not eat ANYTHING while watching tv. 

I don't know if I ever would have self analyzed myself without this forum, so thanks for the support and continue posting your challenges.

You just don't know who may benefit from it.  :D

Feeling grateful XOXO

Good catch and lesson to take away for yourself.

Question on the plantain chips: did you make these yourself or were they store bought?  No commercially prepared chips are allowed on a Whole30, even those made from compliant ingredients.

So, there are Whole30 rules and there are recommendations. http://whole30.com/2015/01/rules-recommendations/

To complete a Whole30, you only have to follow the rules.

If you want the very best results possible, also follow as many recommendations as you can. Some of those recommendations are to eat meal 1 within an hour of waking and eat enough at each meal to satiate you for 4-5 hours. This is for optimal hormonal balance.

Given your summary above, you experienced how your current eating plan affects you.  It's truly your call where you go from here.  You could certainly do something like a mini meal 1.  Take a bite of protein, bite of veg and fat, and keep working your way around the plate until you can't eat any more, and wrap any leftovers for when you're hungry again. Try coffee at least with meal 1 instead of before meal 1. 

So, there are Whole30 rules and there are recommendations. http://whole30.com/2015/01/rules-recommendations/

To complete a Whole30, you only have to follow the rules.

If you want the very best results possible, also follow as many recommendations as you can. Some of those recommendations are to eat meal 1 within an hour of waking and eat enough at each meal to satiate you for 4-5 hours. This is for optimal hormonal balance.

Given your summary above, you experienced how your current eating plan affects you.  It's truly your call where you go from here.  You could certainly do something like a mini meal 1.  Take a bite of protein, bite of veg and fat, and keep working your way around the plate until you can't eat any more, and wrap any leftovers for when you're hungry again. Try coffee at least with meal 1 instead of before meal 1. 

thanks for posting that rules vs. recommendations article. Very helpful, a lot of things I didn't realize weren't rules and are just recommendations

Good catch and lesson to take away for yourself.

Question on the plantain chips: did you make these yourself or were they store bought?  No commercially prepared chips are allowed on a Whole30, even those made from compliant ingredients.

Honostly, they are trader joe's and compliant.  But I did not see them as "potato chips" when I purchased them.  I used them as a starch layered with shredded chicken, lettuce, and homemade salsa and guacomole.  The reason I was eating them out of the bag was because there was only a few left, or at least that what I told myself at the time.  I know better now :)

Honostly, they are trader joe's and compliant.  But I did not see them as "potato chips" when I purchased them.  I used them as a starch layered with shredded chicken, lettuce, and homemade salsa and guacomole.  The reason I was eating them out of the bag was because there was only a few left, or at least that what I told myself at the time.  I know better now :)

Great.

And just for clarification for you or anyone else reading this thread, it's not just commercially prepared potato chips that are off-limits, it's any starchy veg turned into chips that aren't allowed.  

Here's more detail  from the Can I Have guide: 

"Chips: Not if they’re commercially prepared or deep fried

While we recognize that potatoes are a real food, we also know that eating them in the form of fries and chips has turned them from “produce” into an adulterated commercial “product.” It’s easy to find sweet potato, beet, or vegetable chips that meet the Whole30 ingredient standards. It is not easy, however, to consume those chips in a way that’s true to the spirit of the Whole30. It’s hard to find a suitable place for them in our meal planning template (no, half a bag of “Sweets and Beets” is not an appropriate way to fill your plate with vegetables), and even harder to stop yourself from eating them when the designated serving comes to an end. For most of us, chips are a bonafide food-with-no-brakes, and fall into that deep, dark area of less-healthy foods with technically compliant ingredients. For that reason we do not allow frying starchy veggies and turning them into chips during your Whole30. (However, if you want to roast some kale until it’s crispy, or thinly slice jicama into a scoop for your guacamole, be our guest.)" - See more at: http://whole30.com/2013/06/the-official-can-i-have-guide-to-the-whole30/#sthash.96Ntnxtb.dpuf

Day 11 is almost over and for the most part, I'm feeling good. The brain fog has lifted, my clothes are fitting better (probably because of less bloat) and overall, I feel in control. One thing that's driving me nuts right now is my sleeping. I could be super tired, yawning and everything but as soon as I officially go to bed, I can't sleep. I toss and turn until I finally fall asleep and then I wake up very early and can't get back to sleep. I'm going to pick up some natural calm today which I hope helps. I've never had trouble sleeping so this is really getting me down. Can anyone think of what might be going on? :(

The spaghetti sauce we made was complement, the ceasar dressing we made was complement ........ and everyone raved about the dinner.

They did not know how healthy they were eating. :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

If I don't mention it's healthy, it's amazing how often everyone loves it ;) This is one of the reasons I think it can be bad to "force" people to eat healthy, it makes them see healthy as some kind of punishment, or something to avoid (my partner is a bit like this sometimes).

When you're not hungry and it's a struggle to eat breakfast, it's a sign your hormones are off. Humans are supposed to be hungry when we first wake up as our bodies have been running all night (in sleep mode) without any inputs. Try and eat as much of your Meal 1 as you can within 1 hour of waking, it really helps to reset your hormones. I find sometimes cold things are easier if I feel like that, or spicy things, it's very personal so you'll need to experiment. Avoid the coffee until you've eaten (it sure is motivation to eat if you can't have the coffee until after!) as it can be an appetite suppressant, which will take you further off track (hormonally).

It is hard to begin with, but the more you do it, the easier it gets and the better your results will be.

I was a long time breakfast skipper, living happily on my coffee crutch, so I totally hear ya, it feels really hard but you can do this :)

Day 11 is almost over and for the most part, I'm feeling good. The brain fog has lifted, my clothes are fitting better (probably because of less bloat) and overall, I feel in control. One thing that's driving me nuts right now is my sleeping. I could be super tired, yawning and everything but as soon as I officially go to bed, I can't sleep. I toss and turn until I finally fall asleep and then I wake up very early and can't get back to sleep. I'm going to pick up some natural calm today which I hope helps. I've never had trouble sleeping so this is really getting me down. Can anyone think of what might be going on? :(

Hormones for sure! As per the above, one of the fastest way to reset your hormones is to eat within an hour of waking.

Your hormones will settle down, just give them a little time.

The body is a very complex thing and sometimes it just needs some time.

7th day over here. Today was funkyyyyy, mostly because I didn't fall asleep until 3 am and felt very lethargic all day. I am also breaking out a bit, which I suppose might be sleep-deprivation related. Meals today have been great, but I do feel a bit like a bottomless pit. Sugar cravings are out of control and I'm trying to avoid the dried figs in my desk drawer as a quick fix. I am literally dreaming of candy bars and I don't even eat candy bars on a non W30 day!! Am starting to wonder whether my first Whole30 was this hard a week into it. Am also starting to seriously question how I am going to stay compliant this upcoming weekend at my friend's wedding......

M1: 2 scrambled eggs cooked in ghee, 2 pieces smoked wild salmon, side salad of avocado, capers, arugula and a little olive oil and lemon

M2: Sautéed ground beef with paprika, garlic powder, and turmeric; leftover coconut oil and cinnamon roasted sweet potatoes/butternut squash, steamed brussels sprouts 

M3: 4 (Or 5?) Bora Bora Fireballs (made with combo. ground chicken and turkey instead of pork), topped w/ sunshine sauce, sautéed rainbow chard w/ garlic and ginger, 1 small clementine 

Hope everyone's day was yummy and all are feeling good!

Your dreams are totally normal Tsb :) I had a dream about eating wood and I assure you I never eat that lol

Have a look through the timeline http://whole30.com/2013/08/revised-timeline/

For weddings, have a chat with the caterer if you can and eat before you go, so you're not hungry when you're there :)

If there's nothing compliant, just BYO :)

I have been inspired by the number of times folks here have mentioned "butcher" so I found one about 15 miles away. Bought some fresh antibiotic-free pork chops. The butcher cut them right there for me. Have never had anything like them! I buy local at the farmers markets all summer, but the meat is always frozen. These chops were absolutely amazing. Love the inspiration I get here.

Day 11 is done! I am feeling pretty awful today, not from W30, but I have the flu! I did manage to eat W30 because I had a meal in the fridge. But I will have to prep and cook a bit tomorrow, so fingers crossed I feel better. 

M1- 2 scrambled eggs with spinach, salmon cakes, avocodo

M2- salad with chicken no dressing, black olives

M3- salmon cakes, roasted broccoli and cauliflower

Healthy eating everyone!

1st Dining Out Experience, Day 9.  Had Club Soda with Lime (instead of wine or martini).  Brought my own W30 compliant salad dressing (and it was actually pretty yummy).  Had the hamburger steak with sauteed mushrooms and onions (I usually have this with cheese and the foccacia bread that comes with it).  No, I didn't ask if the beef was from grass-fed cows... No, I didn't ask what was in the seasoning on the meat... No, I didn't ask what was in the mushroom and onion sautee.  I felt I was as cautious as I wanted to be.  Yea, I could be that person that asks if there is sugar in the meat seasoning (and have it plain) or butter used in the mush/onion sautee (and not have the sautee)... the thing is that I don't feel comfortable being that rigid when I'm dining out (which I do very rarely anyway).  I am certainly not judging people that do adhere that closely to the plan when dining out, it's just that I know I won't ever want to do that.  Did I mention I had the "salad" as my side dish?  I usually have the parmesan-cilantro garlic fries with ranch dressing... and I'm telling you they are to DIE FOR!!!  Two of my friends sat right next to and across from me and ate those parmesan garlic fries (they smelled soooooooo good)... I didn't even ask for a single one.  For the record, I have NOT cheated one little bit on my W30... perhaps I got a bit of sugar in the meat seasoning or a little butter in my sautee tonight...  I'm okay with that.  I am pretty proud of myself for the DRASTIC changes I have made and continue to make in my food and drink consumption during this W30 challenge.  I know myself well enough to know that, if I get freakishly rigid, I will completely swing the other way when my W30 is accomplished.  Instead, I want to incorporate the long-term, life-changing aspects of the W30.  I found myself thinking tonight at dinner "Wow this hamburger steak tastes really delicious even without the cheese... I'm so full I didn't even miss the bread... I am laughing and having a great time with my friends and I didn't even have any wine... my dinner was great and I didn't have THE garlic fries..."  You get the idea.  Maybe some of this sounds ridiculous to people with much better habits than me, but these are important discoveries for me right now.  Soooo, I'm feeling strong and I'm feeling good.  Most importantly, I'm feeling empowered and in control... it's nice :) To all of you that stay current  on this forum, thanks for listening.  Thank you for your support.  We ARE doing this!!!    

Day 11 is done! I am feeling pretty awful today, not from W30, but I have the flu! I did manage to eat W30 because I had a meal in the fridge. But I will have to prep and cook a bit tomorrow, so fingers crossed I feel better. 

Hope you feel better soon!

7th day over here. Today was funkyyyyy, mostly because I didn't fall asleep until 3 am and felt very lethargic all day.

Based on everything I have read from other people, as well as my own experience, sleep WILL get better... and when it does, you will be like "Woooooo Hooooooo!!!!"

• Moderators

1st Dining Out Experience, Day 9.  Had Club Soda with Lime (instead of wine or martini).  Brought my own W30 compliant salad dressing (and it was actually pretty yummy).  Had the hamburger steak with sauteed mushrooms and onions (I usually have this with cheese and the foccacia bread that comes with it).  No, I didn't ask if the beef was from grass-fed cows... No, I didn't ask what was in the seasoning on the meat... No, I didn't ask what was in the mushroom and onion sautee.  I felt I was as cautious as I wanted to be.  Yea, I could be that person that asks if there is sugar in the meat seasoning (and have it plain) or butter used in the mush/onion sautee (and not have the sautee)... the thing is that I don't feel comfortable being that rigid when I'm dining out (which I do very rarely anyway).  I am certainly not judging people that do adhere that closely to the plan when dining out, it's just that I know I won't ever want to do that.  Did I mention I had the "salad" as my side dish?  I usually have the parmesan-cilantro garlic fries with ranch dressing... and I'm telling you they are to DIE FOR!!!  Two of my friends sat right next to and across from me and ate those parmesan garlic fries (they smelled soooooooo good)... I didn't even ask for a single one.  For the record, I have NOT cheated one little bit on my W30... perhaps I got a bit of sugar in the meat seasoning or a little butter in my sautee tonight...  I'm okay with that.  I am pretty proud of myself for the DRASTIC changes I have made and continue to make in my food and drink consumption during this W30 challenge.  I know myself well enough to know that, if I get freakishly rigid, I will completely swing the other way when my W30 is accomplished.  Instead, I want to incorporate the long-term, life-changing aspects of the W30.  I found myself thinking tonight at dinner "Wow this hamburger steak tastes really delicious even without the cheese... I'm so full I didn't even miss the bread... I am laughing and having a great time with my friends and I didn't even have any wine... my dinner was great and I didn't have THE garlic fries..."  You get the idea.  Maybe some of this sounds ridiculous to people with much better habits than me, but these are important discoveries for me right now.  Soooo, I'm feeling strong and I'm feeling good.  Most importantly, I'm feeling empowered and in control... it's nice :) To all of you that stay current  on this forum, thanks for listening.  Thank you for your support.  We ARE doing this!!!

I'm so glad you enjoyed your dinner and those are some serious victories... the fries sound delicious.

I am going to be the bearer of bad news tho... if the burger patty or mushrooms had soy or dairy or grains, you're shorting yourself out of finding out how those things really affect your body.

These ARE important discoveries to make... after the full Whole30 and reintroductions, you're much better equipped to know how rigid you want to be when dining out. Personally, I'd rather NOT ask about restaurant oils, but I also know now that if I get dosed with soy oil, I better be close to a bathroom about 20 min after my first bite.

You owe it to yourself to have a full 30 days of clean eating...

I would plan going forward in the next couple of days to see how you feel after this dinner. Be very honest with yourself if you feel stuffy, headachey, digestive distressed etc and then decide if you should start over. We can't MAKE you start over and the entire meal could have been compliant but you don't know because you chose not to ask....

I'm not saying any of this to diminish your major victories tonight... at all! I think learning that we can be strong in the face of temptation is one of the greatest lessons to learn because as you do it, it gets easier and easier... I just wanted to be frank about how your choice tonight may affect you.

Well, 1/3 of the way through this. At this point I'd grade myself a C - I haven't eaten anything off plan, but I haven't had near enough veggies and my meal timing needs work. If I let myself I'd survive on bulletproof style coffee, boiled eggs and macadamia nuts. Today I had coffee with ghee and coconut oil, then when I got to work about half a serving of salmon with a mix of broccoli, yellow squash and mushrooms. Lunch was beef brisket, carrots and Greek salad. I had an afternoon snack of two boiled eggs, decaf, and a grapefruit. Supper was unstuffed cabbage - with ground beef, ground chicken and tomatoes.

I still haven't purged my pantry. There isn't much in it that is off plan - everything that has gluten or other grains is in a separate cabinet on the other side of the kitchen. I'm pretty sure the only thing off plan in my pantry would be foods containing sugar (like salsa), but I make sure to check all my food labels for ingredients.

The other thing I haven't done is set goals - other than just to get through all 30 days this time! I'd love to hear what other people have for goals. Some ideas I have for goals - switch to more natural/less potentially toxic chemicals versions of personal care products such as toothpaste and hair gel, do a daily Bible study, switch from coffee to green tea, try charcoal for tooth whitening, take vitamins consistently, reduce amount of Rx pain meds, stop using my tablet/staring at a screen in the hour before bedtime, start exercising again - beginning with walking, then adding ST and stretching/yoga.

Some different goals I've had (the best are S.M.A.R.T.):

• Getting my eight hours of sleep every night
  • Eating breakfast within an hour of waking
  • Taking the bazillion (I exaggerate :lol:) supplements from my naturopath with each meal - I find this more difficult when I've made a change to my daily routines
  • Eating out compliantly, not being afraid to go out because of fussy ordering (this one is a lot about planning and pre-calling the eatery)
  • I did one Whole30 with no coffee (experiment)
  • I did one Whole30 with no nightshades

Honestly though, I think the template is the best one of all :) It sorts out so many other things.

Archived