CALLING ALL JANUARY 1ST WHOLE30ERS!

found.in.nature

Day 14 NSV: I'm a college student, doing courses online from home. So my school is totally self-paced and it's up to me when I'll finish my degree. (a good thing and a bad thing) Which means that some days when I don't feel like doing school.... I just don't do school. Often, before my Whole30 I would eat waaay too much junk (which took time away from school, especially if it happened every other day) and then feel nasty afterwards and just mope around all day, getting no school done. Then I'd feel unproductive and unhappy, and the cycle would repeat. Not good. BUT since getting rolling on my Whole30, I've been getting school done!! Food is fuel, not something to think about constantly and indulge in endlessly. Life is more than food, y'all. 

Could not have said it better myself!

• Replies 814
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Day 13…looking out my window at a strikingly beautiful, pink, streaky sunrise !   (the only plus I've yet found about getting up at 06:00 !  ).

Yesterday was an 11 hour day at work …when I looked up at the clock (almost 8pm) I realized I wasn't "totaled" like I usually am after 11 hours of (some) physical and a lot of mental effort ..nice "perk". Still not able to fall asleep before about 10:30 or later though..hate that part. Restless legs...

Feeling a bit more "even" this morning…oh yeh…need to go eat something for meal 1 -missed the "one hour after rising window"..but will get to it now. :(

Then off to work again... 

Thanks to everyone for participating here..great support and information ! 

Day 14!!! (Does anyone else feel like this is going by so quickly? I can't believe the halfway point is tomorrow!) 

Things are going well. There is still some intestinal... ahem... activity... happening, but it seems to be getting better. I feel like this normal, but I may get some digestive enzymes if it continues for too much longer. Otherwise, sleep is improving and my energy is much more stable.

My mood is definitely better. In fact, I noticed something last night. I have a "Line a Day Journal" that lets you jot down a few thoughts for each day and it goes over five years, so every day you can see what you wrote last year, two years ago, etc. This is the fourth year that I've been doing the journal and I've done two other W30's that started on January 1 (my first one and one that I abandoned when my husband had a health scare.) during that time. So, I have two years on and one year off to compare and the difference in mood and attitude is so obvious. I've had the same job throughout, but I complain so much more about it during the non-W30 year. The W30 entries just generally seem happier and more content, even when I've had a bad day. It was really interesting.

Weekend plans are starting to shape up, so I'm trying to formulate my strategies for dealing with them. A friend invited us to a birthday gathering at their place, so I think I'm going to make some meatballs and some sort of salad to share (and eat for dinner). They live in Napa and she works in the wine industry, so that's going to be a big temptation, but I'll bring some kombucha and remind myself that wine isn't going any where (about a million times). Then a friend from Seattle is going to be in town, but she's done the W30 herself, so I'm not too worried about that one. I'm more worried about when I'll have time to do my cook up with all of the socializing. #whole30problems

Hope everyone is doing well and starting to see some good results. I'm so inspired by everyone's stories, so keep 'em coming!

• Moderators

Hi, i started my 1st Whole 30 Jan. 1st.... do I need to start over after not knowingly eating chicken breasts containing carrageenan? Or sulphites in the Reallemon product? I read the label after and realized of these additives so I've stopped using these items but do I need to start back at Day 1 for this error? Thanks!

Hi Happy!

I'm really sorry to be the bearer of bad news but Carrageenan is a TERRIBLE gut disruptor... one of the worst... 

I'll leave this article here for you to read and decide because we can't 'make' you start over but one last thought... you started Whole30 to resolve 'something'.  You owe yourself a full 30 days.  And there are lots of people in this thread and elsewhere in these forums that have started in the last few days so you'd still be in great company!

http://whole30.com/2014/06/really-start-whole30/

Hello fellow Whole-30-ers,

I've been remiss in not commenting on this forum but I am still here and plugging away. After a few failed attempts at my second Whole 30, this time I am finally doing it - there is no going back now - no way am I wasting the progress made over the last 13.5 days :)

I am feeling better overall and more focused. I do get really tired at night by about 8 (sometimes earlier) - this normal as I cannot remember from my first which was in 2013? I am getting 7-8 hours a sleep a night!

Today I made the stuffed peppers from the Whole30 book. OMG, yum! Why did I wait so long to try them lol.

Hope everyone is doing well and hanging in there. Half way tomorrow!

Hi Everyone!

First time Whole30'er here. I've been going for about a week now and feel good so far. I've been a lifetime dieter, trying everything from weight watchers to the horrid lemonade diet, but this is the first thing that seems to be sticking and feels like an actual lifestyle change instead of a passing fad.

Excited to see where this goes and great to meet all of you!

Day 13 done! Haven't checked in in a couple of days. But yesterday and today were AWESOME! I felt great! Consistent energy, alert, good mood, able to focus, and I got a lot done today. I have started back at CrossFit as well, which I think has given me a bit of a self-esteem/confidence boost (thereby leading to a good mood :) ). I worked up to a 3-rep back squat of 125lbs! I did CrossFit for 2 years then took some time off. I've thought about it on and off, but realized over the last week that I was really missing it - the exercise, social aspect, the community, motivation, pushing myself, having a trainer, and the pride / confidence I felt doing it. So even though my back squat wasn't the same as I'd been able to do before, I wasn't hard on myself. I thought about it, then focused on congratulating myself for starting back up in the first place! I know that I'll build back up in no time :). I felt energized after. Honestly, today I didn't stop (in a good way). I got up at a good time, I made a good breakfast, went to CrossFit, played outside with my dog, and got a bunch of house chores off my to-do list, and even watched some Netflix in there to relax after dinner ;). With all of this, I'm crossing my fingers, I'll be tired out and have an awesome night's sleep (which has improved, but not 100% yet). Yay :)

greenhm - Oh hey I just got back to a 125 back squat after a few months off too! Hopefully by the end of these 30 days I'll be hitting a body weight squat. 

As for my gut issues - I tried switching my sweet potatoes for white potatoes last night - still uncomfortable this morning! I know - give it time. I brought leftovers for lunch today so I can see if eliminating my lunch salad is the cause. I know it's not great to make many changes at once, but I think my best bet is eliminate every potential problem and see if it gets better, then slowly reintroduce things until i can figure it out. Next thing to eliminate be avocados :(

I started thinking about the inner child who wants a treat and needs love and discipline instead.  Then I said it all out loud, i.e., what I really want and need, that I don't want to go back to unhealthy ways, that I want today to  be day 14 instead of day 1.

[snip]

WooHoo!  Time to celebrate with a healthy reward, like a manicure or a massage.  :-)

I now think of Whole30 as my treat, my gift to myself to improve my health :)

And although everything looked wonderful, I was not even tempted so that is a NSV !

Huge NSV!!! :D

Hi, i started my 1st Whole 30 Jan. 1st.... do I need to start over after not knowingly eating chicken breasts containing carrageenan? Or sulphites in the Reallemon product? I read the label after and realized of these additives so I've stopped using these items but do I need to start back at Day 1 for this error? Thanks!

Welcome Happy :) It's up to you, but I was surprised to find during Reintroductions that I have very nasty reactions to carrageenan (still not sure on sulphites), but sadly I had never noticed them before, I just put up with it as "normal". It was bad enough for me to never eat it now, gluten and carrageenan are the two things I never eat.

Yesterday was an 11 hour day at work …when I looked up at the clock (almost 8pm) I realized I wasn't "totaled" like I usually am after 11 hours of (some) physical and a lot of mental effort ..nice "perk". Still not able to fall asleep before about 10:30 or later though..hate that part. Restless legs...

Great NSV! :D are you taking a magnesium supplement for your legs?

So, I have two years on and one year off to compare and the difference in mood and attitude is so obvious. I've had the same job throughout, but I complain so much more about it during the non-W30 year. The W30 entries just generally seem happier and more content, even when I've had a bad day. It was really interesting.

Weekend plans are starting to shape up, so I'm trying to formulate my strategies for dealing with them. A friend invited us to a birthday gathering at their place, so I think I'm going to make some meatballs and some sort of salad to share (and eat for dinner). They live in Napa and she works in the wine industry, so that's going to be a big temptation, but I'll bring some kombucha and remind myself that wine isn't going any where (about a million times). Then a friend from Seattle is going to be in town, but she's done the W30 herself, so I'm not too worried about that one. I'm more worried about when I'll have time to do my cook up with all of the socializing. #whole30problems

Such an insightful post. I think you can count both your insight and your planning as NSVs :D

I am feeling better overall and more focused. I do get really tired at night by about 8 (sometimes earlier) - this normal as I cannot remember from my first which was in 2013? I am getting 7-8 hours a sleep a night!

You might need a little more sleep :)

Hi Everyone!

First time Whole30'er here. I've been going for about a week now and feel good so far. I've been a lifetime dieter, trying everything from weight watchers to the horrid lemonade diet, but this is the first thing that seems to be sticking and feels like an actual lifestyle change instead of a passing fad.

Excited to see where this goes and great to meet all of you!

Welcome Tiffy! :D

Day 14 and everything is well.  Cooked a couple whole chickens on the Big Green Egg yesterday.  That left me plenty of bones and scraps for a crockpot full of broth.  Not sure if I want to jar it after 24 hrs or go for 48.  Any thoughts?  With the left over chicken I am going to try something new tonight.  Chicken Cakes with sweet potato hash and roasted broccoli.  I can't help but to think the chicken cakes will be good, but I have always used salmon.  Anywhoo, I will let you know how they turn out.

Hi there my friends!  Day 12 for me.  Going strong, even though it's "that time" for me... a little hungrier than usual and letting myself eat a little more.  I'm not a sugar junkie, but I always crave chocolate during the first two days.  I had my hubby hide the butterfinger cups leftover from Christmas because they are just too tempting!!!!

So something AMAZING is happening to my body.  I have had chronic shoulder and neck pain since 2005 (probably old gymnastics injuries) due to stenosis, bulging disks, degenerative disk disease blah blah blah in my C3-C7.  Anyway, I live with it and don't use pain meds or anything.  I go to massage about 1-2 times per month.  Yesterday, I had my first massage since starting my W30... my massage therapist couldn't believe the difference in my body... she said it was like working on a different body!!!  My muscles are much less tense and she found WAY less issues that needed work.  And she couldn't believe the difference in my skin.  She said she can't wait to see the differences in 2 more weeks.  I felt so validated for what I've been doing with this W30!!!  My pain was worse the first few days, but now I can honestly say my pain level has improved 60-70 percent... it is truly remarkable.  I guess this W30 plan REALLY DOES reduce systemic inflammation because my body is loving it :D 

Day 14

Made myself eat breakfast again this morning and again was starving all morning and ended up having a snack. Is breakfast within an hour (ish) of rising, then a mid-morning snack better or worse than just waiting until mid-morning for breakfast like I typically do (unless you count coffee with coconut oil and ghee as a complete meal :))?

Had coffee first thing, then unstuffed cabbage with ground beef and tomatoes when I got to work (about an hour later)

Snack - two boiled eggs and a banana

Lunch - hamburger patty with mustard and primal mayo, white sweet potato, spinach sauteed in ghee - my office had hamburgers, fries and salad for a birthday lunch today. I asked to cook my patty separately and just substituted the veggies I already had with me for their stuff so I could participate and still stay on track.

Supper - Pork chop and broccoli with ghee. I really just wanted to eat the pork chop, but have really been trying to increase my veggies, so I steamed a bag of broccoli to have with.

Still don't think I've fully recovered from my sleepless night earlier this week. I've had to roll the window down in my truck on my drive home the last couple of days for the cold air to keep myself from falling asleep at the wheel :(

I'm starting to think I'm going to need more than 30 days to see real changes. The thought of extending my whole 30 doesn't bother me - I'm really not craving any off plan foods. What does worry me is the thought that some of my whole 30 "comfort foods" like ghee, nuts and even coffee may need to go. If I'm not feeling better at the end of the 30 days I'll have to explore that option, but I really hope it doesn't come to that.

I have pretty long workdays along with a commute so I'm often out of the house for 12 or 13 hours. That's too long to leave the crockpot on - food tends to turn to mush. Last night I did a crockpot curry that I put on as I went to bed. Eight hours later I was done sleeping, my house smelled great and I just had to pop my curry into the fridge for an easy reheated dinner when I got home. Why did I never figure this out until now!

Day 14 is done! Wow, it is going fast! I am going scrapbooking tomorrow (Friday) for the weekend. I love going to this retreat for several reasons, 1. It is fun, 2. I get some scrapbooking done, 3. I see friends I have not seen for awhile, 4. The food is fantastic! So, I made all my meals to take with me so I can stay on my Whole 30. I am looking forward to the weekend and feel prepared with me meals. I will be packing my cooler full of delicious meals to take with me, along with my sleeping bag, scrapbooking supplies, and my clothes! 

I am feeling better, I don't know how to describe it exactly, just better! I am noticing my pants are not as tight too! 

M1- 3 scrambled eggs with spinach, 1/2 avocado 

M2- chicken chowder, salad with vinaigrette dressing

M3- stuffed pepper (1), leftover hamburger with mayonnaise, baked Brussels sprouts, 1/2 avocado

Healthy eating everyone! Have a great weekend!

So something AMAZING is happening to my body.  I have had chronic shoulder and neck pain since 2005 (probably old gymnastics injuries) due to stenosis, bulging disks, degenerative disk disease blah blah blah in my C3-C7.  Anyway, I live with it and don't use pain meds or anything.  I go to massage about 1-2 times per month.  Yesterday, I had my first massage since starting my W30... my massage therapist couldn't believe the difference in my body... she said it was like working on a different body!!!  My muscles are much less tense and she found WAY less issues that needed work.  And she couldn't believe the difference in my skin.  She said she can't wait to see the differences in 2 more weeks.  I felt so validated for what I've been doing with this W30!!!  My pain was worse the first few days, but now I can honestly say my pain level has improved 60-70 percent... it is truly remarkable.  I guess this W30 plan REALLY DOES reduce systemic inflammation because my body is loving it :D

This is HUGE!!!! :D :D :D:wub:

Made myself eat breakfast again this morning and again was starving all morning and ended up having a snack. Is breakfast within an hour (ish) of rising, then a mid-morning snack better or worse than just waiting until mid-morning for breakfast like I typically do (unless you count coffee with coconut oil and ghee as a complete meal :))?

Had coffee first thing, then unstuffed cabbage with ground beef and tomatoes when I got to work (about an hour later)

Snack - two boiled eggs and a banana

Lunch - hamburger patty with mustard and primal mayo, white sweet potato, spinach sauteed in ghee - my office had hamburgers, fries and salad for a birthday lunch today. I asked to cook my patty separately and just substituted the veggies I already had with me for their stuff so I could participate and still stay on track.

Supper - Pork chop and broccoli with ghee. I really just wanted to eat the pork chop, but have really been trying to increase my veggies, so I steamed a bag of broccoli to have with.

Still don't think I've fully recovered from my sleepless night earlier this week. I've had to roll the window down in my truck on my drive home the last couple of days for the cold air to keep myself from falling asleep at the wheel :(

I'm starting to think I'm going to need more than 30 days to see real changes. The thought of extending my whole 30 doesn't bother me - I'm really not craving any off plan foods. What does worry me is the thought that some of my whole 30 "comfort foods" like ghee, nuts and even coffee may need to go. If I'm not feeling better at the end of the 30 days I'll have to explore that option, but I really hope it doesn't come to that.

I don't think you need to lose the coffee just yet, but you can try moving it. Try not to have your coffee before food, it makes it much harder to eat breakfast (appetite suppressant). It's okay if you can't eat a full breakfast right away. Try a mini meal to the template (it will help more than just 2 components) and then a proper breakfast when your appetite kicks in. Save the coffee for the late breakfast, don't have it before or after your early one.

You also might not be eating enough at lunch or dinner if you're getting enough sleep but still tired. Or have some starchy veg with dinner, it helps with sleep.

I have pretty long workdays along with a commute so I'm often out of the house for 12 or 13 hours. That's too long to leave the crockpot on - food tends to turn to mush. Last night I did a crockpot curry that I put on as I went to bed. Eight hours later I was done sleeping, my house smelled great and I just had to pop my curry into the fridge for an easy reheated dinner when I got home. Why did I never figure this out until now!

Don't try this on a work day, but I found a great crockpot recipe that's basically a boneless pork forequarter roast (not sure what it's called in USA - pork shoulder?) and a few onions (no liquid). It takes much longer than anything else I cook in my slow cooker (except broth).

Hello 

I am on day three of my renewed whole30. Day three always finds me in a funk. I fought off the sugar dragon today. I was feeling sleepy and low so I had a nap instead. Lucky to be able to nap a bit. 

My husband made beef stew in the pressure cooker tonight. It is nice to have his support. I have stayed off the scale and that is a good thing. 

Hope you all are getting tiger blood!

I need to restart / extend and feel absolutely horrible about it.

Yesterday I had another business lunch and while I checked with the assistant to provide a compliant option for me, she misunderstood and foresaw gluten-free sandwiches. When I came into the meeting room she even said, I've arranged these especially for you! So I really couldn't say no at that point and break her heart, as she went out of her way to arrange it (unfortunately she misunderstood the requirements). I only ate one half of a sandwich and picked some chicken and salad off of the other ones, but still - had stomach cramps all afternoon and terrible night's sleep. So - today is day 1 again for me - at least I know by now that I can do it, as I don't miss any of the foods that are off-plan and do still feel more energetic than before the 13 days.

AprilS, on 14 Jan 2016 - 05:25 AM, said:snapback.png

I started thinking about the inner child who wants a treat and needs love and discipline instead.  Then I said it all out loud, i.e., what I really want and need, that I don't want to go back to unhealthy ways, that I want today to  be day 14 instead of day 1.

[snip]

WooHoo!  Time to celebrate with a healthy reward, like a manicure or a massage.  :-)

I now think of Whole30 as my treat, my gift to myself to improve my health  :)

I agree that W30 is a privilege, and something good I do for myself,  but really Praxisproject?  You want to take away my celebration?  I just changed a major bad habit, and overcame a big challenge.  That is a good time for a healthy reward.  I think the point is to acknowledge success and learn to reward or soothe ourselves in non food ways.  

I need to restart / extend and feel absolutely horrible about it.

Yesterday I had another business lunch and while I checked with the assistant to provide a compliant option for me, she misunderstood and foresaw gluten-free sandwiches. When I came into the meeting room she even said, I've arranged these especially for you! So I really couldn't say no at that point and break her heart, as she went out of her way to arrange it (unfortunately she misunderstood the requirements). I only ate one half of a sandwich and picked some chicken and salad off of the other ones, but still - had stomach cramps all afternoon and terrible night's sleep. So - today is day 1 again for me - at least I know by now that I can do it, as I don't miss any of the foods that are off-plan and do still feel more energetic than before the 13 days.

Don't be so hard on yourself. You have not "lost " the time you have put in. I really think of this as a learning experience and all of the days that we succeed or fail  are teaching us a about out habits and our surroundings and how to master them. I am day four. Resetting after a dinner party that I threw myself lol. So now I know that I should not have dinner parties during the Whole 30- its just me- I am not saying no one can have dinner parties. Just for thirty days.

For some reason day three - yesterday for me- is a hard one for me. I think it is when my sugar dragon wakes up and realizes she is missing her goodies. I hunkered down and got through and made it. Today I feel better. This lesson for me is that I can get through even the worst days f withdrawal if I so choose. 

Be gentle with yourself. It is a process and re setting just means that you are extending the time to be good to yourself. 

Don't be so hard on yourself. You have not "lost " the time you have put in. I really think of this as a learning experience and all of the days that we succeed or fail  are teaching us a about out habits and our surroundings and how to master them. I am day four. Resetting after a dinner party that I threw myself lol. So now I know that I should not have dinner parties during the Whole 30- its just me- I am not saying no one can have dinner parties. Just for thirty days.

For some reason day three - yesterday for me- is a hard one for me. I think it is when my sugar dragon wakes up and realizes she is missing her goodies. I hunkered down and got through and made it. Today I feel better. This lesson for me is that I can get through even the worst days f withdrawal if I so choose. 

Be gentle with yourself. It is a process and re setting just means that you are extending the time to be good to yourself. 

You're probably right, but I'm still pretty hard on myself - I was / am so committed to making the full 30 days without compromise and I had not foreseen a simple business lunch to get in the way of my resolve... Anyhow, it is a learning experience and I've learnt a lot already - was planning on extending the clean eating beyond the 30 days anyway - looks like the glass of champagne will have to wait until Valentine's day :-)

Ah..day 15.  I'm finding that being 100% compliant as to ingredients is easy…it's the damn timing of meals that has me feeling a bit defeated.

Just got my beautiful Meal 1:  3 egg veggie scramble w/ mushrooms, red bell pepper, fresh cilantro, celery, avocado and coconut oil, coffee and a tangerine at ….10:30 am.  Sigh.

Trying to force myself into being a "morning person" is really, really hard  :( .  I think a lot of it is still not being able to get to sleep at night.  I'm waiting for my Magnesium supplement to arrive..and hoping that does the trick.  On the brighter side, except for being tired/foggy in the mornings…I feel much more "even" and "cheerful" during the days once I get going !

Hi team, 

I've been absent for a while, work and real life has been hectic this week but still going strong. Day 16 starting today and am heading up the coast with the family to hang out at the beach for a week or so so hopefully less work/life stress  :P . There have been a few occasions when I've been so busy the vegetables on my plate have just ended up being salad greens, avocado, tomato and sauerkraut but hey, not beating myself up about it, have still stuck to plan and the reality is real life is real life and sometimes that is just how we live. Have notice HUGE differences in how I look and feel though. My fitness and training is super strong (well compared to what it was) been doing a lot of HIIT sprints which normally kill me, well, they still kill me but I can tackle them a bit better than I was  ;) and, everything (clothes wise) feels looser on me. Skin and eyes are really clear and my thoughts and thinking is clear (which was a bonus because I needed to be on my toes this week with some really complex work stuff). All up going great. Will have to catch up on the thread once we reach our holiday house but just wanted to say most of us are HALF WAY and even those who have had to restart would have learned heaps along the way so it is all worthwhile. 

Take care all!

I am feeling foolish but what is the acronym for NSV? :unsure:  I have been trying to find out what it means, but no luck. 

I see Whole Christina defined this acronym for you earlier.

For future reference, all the commonly used forum acronyms are available here.

Archived