CALLING ALL JANUARY 1ST WHOLE30ERS!

found.in.nature

I had a bone bothe disaster today! I made a lovely pot of broth and let it cool on the counter and thn I poured it into silicon trays and put them in the freezer. Well my freezer is a pull out type and I opened it to check on it and the tray caught and spilled all over the freezer. yuck. What a mess. I think I am going to have to invest in some better freezing options. I did have cup and also saved some in a container in the fridge. So all was not lost. 

Ending up day four with some pork chops, mashed sweet potatoes and canned green beans. 

• Replies 814
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Moderators

I had a bone bothe disaster today! I made a lovely pot of broth and let it cool on the counter and thn I poured it into silicon trays and put them in the freezer. Well my freezer is a pull out type and I opened it to check on it and the tray caught and spilled all over the freezer. yuck. What a mess. I think I am going to have to invest in some better freezing options. I did have cup and also saved some in a container in the fridge. So all was not lost. 

Ending up day four with some pork chops, mashed sweet potatoes and canned green beans. 

Oh no!

I personally like 500ml mason jars for broth... Fill to just before the threads start and then pop them in the freezer.  Each jar is 2cups so it's easy to know how much you're using for recipes... just don't fill it too full... the broth expands when it freezes and if it's too full the jar can crack.  I also sometimes put it hot into the jars, twist the lid on and then pop into the fridge... the lids all pop down and then I freeze it... it sort of 'cans' itself a bit and it doesn't expand as much when it freezes.

Ah..day 15.  I'm finding that being 100% compliant as to ingredients is easy…it's the damn timing of meals that has me feeling a bit defeated.

Just got my beautiful Meal 1:  3 egg veggie scramble w/ mushrooms, red bell pepper, fresh cilantro, celery, avocado and coconut oil, coffee and a tangerine at ….10:30 am.  Sigh.

Trying to force myself into being a "morning person" is really, really hard  :( .  I think a lot of it is still not being able to get to sleep at night.  I'm waiting for my Magnesium supplement to arrive..and hoping that does the trick.  On the brighter side, except for being tired/foggy in the mornings…I feel much more "even" and "cheerful" during the days once I get going !

I am with you on the timing! Breakfast is not my problem, but once my rather unpredictable day starts, getting meals in at regular times, sitting down to eat them, is not always easy. Once I get them, I feel great - but lunch is sometimes at 3 pm, and then dinnner is late too. I'm working on it! I'm sure improving your sleep will help -- keep us posted!

Day 15 tidied up! Meals were not bad for timing today except for a slightly long gap before dinner so that I could leave the city and get all they way home. I stay in the city during the week (some lucky weeks it is only 3 days), and it is such a relief to get home and know that for the weekend I can eat at normal times with no worries.

Getting back to the gym has been great - and like runcolorado - not so sore as I expected! I'm starting to feel different - skin and muscles especially. I just wish the digestion would move along a little better - it feels ok but seems very, very slow.

tally ho!

Hi all,

Day 15 was a success despite a huge desire to consume wine. Ugh. Despite waking up with greater resolve to complete this after having a food dream, I think my sugar dragon, or just old habit, kicked in when in the evening my husband and I started a fire and socialized. He had a few drinks; I distracted myself by having 2 packs of naked medley cashew/almond/raisin mixes. Not ideal I know but it got me through.

Day 16 has started off well - will be a mellow day and have lots of leftovers in the fridge!

Happy Saturday! 

Checking in for Day 16! This round has been tough, and I'm still waiting to feel that "sparkle energy". I was whining about it the other day, how on my last Whole30 I was bouncing off the walls on Day 5. So far the only noticeable improvement has been my pants now comfortably fit again, which is really great. But my sleep and energy are still all over the place, which tells me I have some other things that are causing problems in my life right now (looking at you, stress).

This week my husband was out of town so I decided to tone down on the effort level for meal prep. Crock pot, lots of compliant sausage/hot dogs, and pre-cut raw veggies have been the menu for me. I can't believe how quick I was throwing down dinner this week, especially on the nights I used the crock pot. I am totally spoiled now. 

Happy Saturday everyone!  Cold and rainy here on the High Desert….loving it !  Slept in til 8 am and got Meal 1 at 10:30…trying to just ease into the timing thing and not be so obsessed with it. The "natural" rhythm seems to be Meal 1 around 10 am -- Meal 2 around 3pm and Meal 3 ends up around 7pm and is a bit lighter than the rest.  Low energy day and I'm just going to roll with that.  I'm trying not to "crave" the Tiger blood experience…but still wishing.

How easily I forget. Jumped out of bed full of energy, showered, dressed and keys in hand to dash out the door to hit all my errands...and realized I hadn't eaten breakfast. Old Saturday morning habit. It took only 5 minutes to pull together my usual fare: grape tomatoes, olives, a little fruit, some meatballs....During the week I'm well into the routine of packing up both breakfast and lunch so I never need to give it a thought. Weekends seem to be a different creature.

The run went great today.  Honestly, it was 80% run 20% walk.  I'm training for my first 50 mile ultra which I will have to run/walk to finish.  There is a 12 hour time limit which calculates to 14:24 per mile.  Sounds easy enough huh? 

M1 - Chili / Black Coffee

M2 - Chili / Guacamole / Grapes / Apple Pie Larabar / Water

M3 - Venison / Sweet Potato with Clarified Butter / Roasted Broccoli / Water

Cheers!

Happy Sunday everyone! Still rather warm over here. I'm about to head into M1 for day for my D8 restart (D17 old start) and I thought I might share some highlights.

I seem to be finding the eating 3 meals quite fine, no sugar cravings, sleeping a good 8-9 hours (but still not that pure baby restful sleep), and continuous energy and concentration through the day - but not highly energised (feels a bit more ho hum). I have had a few wins this week. Passed on a "business" lunch which usually I am a keen participator in but I had already packed my lamb shank stew for lunch so I passed the peer pressure test. I felt awkward telling them to go ahead and get their pizza without me. But the world didn't stop and I had a little solo downtime in the sun over lunch which was pleasant.

I also hosted a family gathering which was also a "meet my sisters new boyfriends family" kind of gathering which was fraught with some family politics which usually I would have made much more enjoyable with 2 glasses of wine. Instead of focusing on potentially critical conversations I pulled out the table tennis table and we all played instead of drinking and talking which was nice. I found it very challenging to keep diplomatic though when being asked about my "whole 30 lifestyle". My family are lazy protein shake replacement meal/herbal life "someone/something else is responsible for me" and "a pill can fix it' converts, with a list of reasons why they are "too busy to cook" or "take responsibility for their own nourishment" as long as their arm. Anyhow rant over. I got through. No wine. And I was hydrated!

I also survived a date lunch with my son where he gets to choose a meal and he chose Indian...instead of the restaurant we went to the local food hall where he could get Indian and I a salad (all I had to do was add my protein when I got home). Not the perfect strategy but I was compliant.

I also craved fresh seafood on D5/D14. (Period due soon). The craving and protection I felt over my meal was akin to when I was breastfeeding! I was not sharing any! I sat down with 6 amazing fresh prawns, 10 fresh oysters and a small bowl of olives. That was M4 of the day! No veggies but I also don't think it warrants a restart either!

Final NSV (now I know what that means - thanks to the person who asked!) - I'm also doing this on a tight budget. So my little passes at "networking lunches" and downgrading restaurants to food halls also showed me that I can do this. Good food doesn't have to be expensive lifestyle.

M1 - one cup of beef bone broth 20 minutes prior to M1. two cups mushrooms sauteed generously in gee, handful tomatoes, two eggs, half avo, 1tsp sauerkraut, olive oil. 10am black tea.

M2 - giant mixed leaf salad, 10 olives, cashews, tomatoes, cucumber, olive oil, snow peas, two cups of rockmelon, tuna.

M3 - steak, red pepper sauce (whole 30 cookbook), guacamole (whole 30 cookbook), onions, tomato in guac, carrots, a hand full of cashews and toasted coconut, and 5 olives, bed of baby spinach. Lemon grass tea (literally dried lemongrass in a tea pot - its fresh and sensational)

I'm pretty terrible at quantifying what's on my plate. Especially when combined into a mushy stew. But its always full and I eat the lot. And am satiated until tbe next meal (except that seafood time which also broke my budget!).

I'm still suffering digestive stress. No ease on that front yet. I have added some sauerkraut (half - one teaspoon per meal)(oh boy someone was chucking a party in there). I backed off.

Go well everyone!

The run went great today. Honestly, it was 80% run 20% walk. I'm training for my first 50 mile ultra which I will have to run/walk to finish. There is a 12 hour time limit which calculates to 14:24 per mile. Sounds easy enough huh?

M1 - Chili / Black Coffee

M2 - Chili / Guacamole / Grapes / Apple Pie Larabar / Water

M3 - Venison / Sweet Potato with Clarified Butter / Roasted Broccoli / Water

Cheers!

50 miles!? No that doesn't sound easy, even at that pace! :) but sounds like a great challenge! Good luck!

You only listed 3 meals there- no pre/post or during for your run? i tend to not add extra meals even on long run days usually out of laziness, but I'm trying to get better :/ do you ever add pre/post/during for long training runs? If so- what are your go-tos?

@lmcbrien: I felt the same way yesterday. I think it's a Friday thing. I really miss doing something to celebrate the weekend. But wine isn't going anywhere for the next two weeks. We can do this!

My day 16 was okay. The hubby is coming down with a cold, so not only did his snoring come back and wake me up last night, but he's obviously not a happy camper. But I made him eat good food, including a very yummy improvised soup I made for dinner with bone broth, zoodles, leftover chicken breast and watercress. It was comforting and delicious.

Hopefully, he'll feel better tomorrow and I won't catch it. Hope everyone is hanging tough!

50 miles!? No that doesn't sound easy, even at that pace! :) but sounds like a great challenge! Good luck!

You only listed 3 meals there- no pre/post or during for your run? i tend to not add extra meals even on long run days usually out of laziness, but I'm trying to get better :/ do you ever add pre/post/during for long training runs? If so- what are your go-tos?

Late start today, M1 was my pre.  Only ran for 1.5hrs so water was all I had during.  By the time I got home it was lunch time so M2 was my post.   Tomorrow is a 3hr run/walk.  My pre will be M1.  2 eggs, venison, avacado, coffee.  Banana and water during the run.  Venison, eggs, smoothie after.  The smoothie is 1 can full fat coconut milk, 8oz apple juice, 1 banana, 1/2cup frozen strawberries, 1/4cup frozen blueberries, 1/2 cup spinach.  Around 1000 calories.  Smoothies are frowned upon but I have to maintain weight.   At 5'10 165 I have none to spare.  

I add meals on long run days if I'm hungry.   Replacing the calories burned is the key.  Listen to your body, it will let you know when it needs fed.  Don't really have any go-tos for pre or post.  Gels, honey singers, and sport drinks were my fuel in the past, so I am in the learning phase of long distance and whole30.  Its possible, but will take some trial and error.

YAY. "Natural Calm" supplement arrived yesterday.  I used 2 packets…didn't want to take any chances on another restless night !!  I DID sleep better and did not succumb to any "restless leg" stuff before drifting off.  Can't wait to try it again tonight to see if it's really working !!!

Bummer is I woke this morning with a sore throat and clogged sinuses.  I haven't so much as had a cold for at least the last 3 years so guess it was time.  Judging from what I read in these posts and hear from friends, there seems to be a URI virus making it's say up and down the entire West Coast…Or, I  can think of it as a detox symptom  :P

Anyway, 17 days along.  Planning to make another "egg loaf" today since that turns out to be the #1 most portable protein for work days. 

Happy "2nd Half" to all to whom that applies and KUDOS to the start-over crowd. !!

Hello All, 

I am back from scrapbooking! It was a fun weekend, and I even got some scrapbooking done! Ha ha ha! Anyway, I brought my meals and was able to stay compliant to my Whole 30 eating plan! I had many ladies asking me questions about my food and why wasn't I eating the food provided by the camp staff. But once I explained the Whole 30 eating plan and that I was following it I had lots of encouragement from the ladies. It was hard to pass on dessert, cause I love sweets, but I was able to and I feel good about that. So, I had lots of NSV (now I know what that means) over the weekend. I am feeling GOOD!!!

Hello!  I started on January 2nd and am finally getting set up on this website.  My name is Evelyn (58 yrs old) and I live in Vermont.  My sister lives in Canada and inspired me to jump in so, here I am.  It's great to have support through this process and I am looking forward to more health-improvements.  Thank you all for being here to keep me going!

Ev.

Hi all!  I started on January 1, didn't see this thread until now though.  I'm glad I'm not the only one who has issues with eating meals at regular times and not snacking.  I usually have four meals, with a late dinner around 9.  I went out for lunch today and there were definitely some non-compliant things on my salad, I picked around them but still feel like I broke the rules.

I think I had a taste of "tiger blood" on day 15, I woke up feeling like I'd had espresso (I don't drink coffee at all) and was jumping around all day!  Today and yesterday were more subdued, and today I have a migraine which always makes me feel blah  -_- here's to hoping tomorrow is better!  I have to go to a wine/cheese/dinner party and I'm kind of dreading it.

Hello all! Day 17 almost in the bag and it went pretty well despite getting up really late (almost 10 am after staying up until 2 ugh).

The problem I had today is that I only really had two meals due to my late start - I had 3 eggs, roasted cabbage and 1/2 avocado for breakfast at around 11:30, then I wasn't hungry for a while, so decided to start my new exercise program (weights). Following that, I did eat a mini meal of chicken and sweet potato hash, and within the hour later (approaching 5:30 now), I ate a full meal.

I'm nowhere near hungry and the thought of food isn't appealing at all. Should I maybe choke down a boiled egg and a few cherry tomatoes (from my garden yeah) and a handful of nuts? Or will this interrupt my sleeping?  

Today is a day of firsts. First cookout of the year, even though it never really got above freezing. (Yay Applegate hot dogs and a blazing fire!). First time I fit into my silk long johns in years. (Really needed them today, I'll tell ya). First time I had coffee with coconut oil and ghee. (The one I made at home with my immersion blender was way better than the one I made when I had no blender). Great way to start the second half of my whole 30.

• Moderators

YAY. "Natural Calm" supplement arrived yesterday. I used 2 packets…didn't want to take any chances on another restless night !! I DID sleep better and did not succumb to any "restless leg" stuff before drifting off. Can't wait to try it again tonight to see if it's really working !!!

Bummer is I woke this morning with a sore throat and clogged sinuses. I haven't so much as had a cold for at least the last 3 years so guess it was time. Judging from what I read in these posts and hear from friends, there seems to be a URI virus making it's say up and down the entire West Coast…Or, I can think of it as a detox symptom :P

Anyway, 17 days along. Planning to make another "egg loaf" today since that turns out to be the #1 most portable protein for work days.

Happy "2nd Half" to all to whom that applies and KUDOS to the start-over crowd. !!

Careful with the Natural Calm, it can have a laxative effect if you get too much. Usually it says start with a partial dose and work your way up to either the full dose, or the point where you notice digestive symptoms, whichever is smaller.

How easily I forget. Jumped out of bed full of energy, showered, dressed and keys in hand to dash out the door to hit all my errands...and realized I hadn't eaten breakfast. Old Saturday morning habit. It took only 5 minutes to pull together my usual fare: grape tomatoes, olives, a little fruit, some meatballs....During the week I'm well into the routine of packing up both breakfast and lunch so I never need to give it a thought. Weekends seem to be a different creature.

I run into the same deal on weekends. Trying to sleep in a bit, running after kids, shutting to various activities, then I realize it's 10am and I've only had coffee!

Archived