CALLING ALL JANUARY 1ST WHOLE30ERS!

found.in.nature

Day 21 - I am so happy we decided to switch up all our dinners this week! No food boredom yet! And I'm even looking forward to lunch today! 

M2- Lots of spaghetti squash with homemade sauce, about 2 cups of green beans and a grilled chicken breast. Is there such thing as too many veggies!? I'll for sure be getting my 4 cups and then some in at lunch! 

My tiger blood this time around has been kinda of spotty. I have moments where I feel much more energized and don't even mind getting up to do the dishes after dinner.. but I still find myself sleepy and snacky at 3 or 4 in the afternoon. Yesterday I needed something so bad and the only caffeine free tea I could find was "sleepytime".. so I drank sleepytime tea when I was already falling asleep at 4pm! I struggled to stay awake until 9pm, then hit the bed hard and did not stir until 6am! Hopefully I can pull through my afternoon slump today!

• Replies 814
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey all.

My back/hip is still an issue but seems to be getting better.  I remain focused on good nutrition.  

M1 - Sweet potato mash (SP, ground pork, onion, peppers and spices), 3 poached eggs and a banana

M2 - Steak leftovers and big salad (EVOO and Balsamic), plus an apple 

M3 - Unsure but it will be chicken with salad and another side dish (maybe steamed carrots).

Last night was the first night I was able to get a good night sleep in over a week due to hip issues.  I used heat and stretching before bed and propped my sore hip's leg up on a pillow.  I was worried because I had a venti Starbucks Americano with dinner (7PM) but had no issues getting to sleep (yeah!!!).

I am off tomorrow and looking to get some rest and maybe read some more of the "Becoming a Supple Leopard" book.  A long weekend is definitely what the doctor ordered for me!!!

Cheers

DJ

Day 21 off to a good start. For the last two days, despite going to bed at the same time, I've been waking up much earlier than normal. I've just been going with it and enjoying a little extra morning chill out time. 

Last night, I had a little "extinction burst" moment. My hubby has a business meeting down in Capitola (a very charming beach town) this afternoon and asked if I wanted to come with him. All I could think was how much I wished we could just go out for a "normal" dinner in a cute little seaside restaurant and have a glass of wine, etc. This W30 has been relatively peaceful, so I was surprised by the sudden appearance of my brain's temper tantrum.  :P Thankfully, it passed pretty quickly and was replaced by more practical planning "What could I pack in a cooler for dinner? Or where might we find compliant food, etc.) 

I don't know that I'd describe what I'm feeling as tiger blood, but I'm feeling good overall and not overthinking it.

Hello my name is Susan and Im 49 years old. Im on my 18th day of my very first January whole30. The past weeks was a struggle on cravings and starving but thank God and thanks to the program, i never had a cheat on anything. I do have occasional headaches in the morning and i am not sure if this is part of the process in cleaning my system??? anyone?

This one is my favourite (Artisana brand) http://www.artisanaorganics.com/coconut/coconut-butter/

They seem to process it a little differently, it's silky smooth with no lumps or bumps. It's quite expensive but I also find it lasts for ages (if I don't eat it out of the jar lol). Always check the ingredients, some producers "water" it down with something cheaper. If you want to try it without buying a whole jar, sometimes you can get it in little packets http://www.artisanaorganics.com/squeeze-packs/ check the ingredients as some brands add sweeteners or fillers to the little packets.

Thank you for the information!!!  I don't mind paying for the good stuff, especially if it lasts for a long time.  I'm going to order it tomorrow :D

• Moderators

Day 21.  Still can't fall asleep. I thought the Natural Calm was working…but doesn't seem to be. Everything else is going so well but the sleep deprivation is definitely not good.  I get to bed by 9:30 but "twirl"(restless legs and busy mind) till at least 11:30 or midnight…then the 06:00 alarm goes off and I'm deeply asleep. No fair.  :wacko:

This is the one thing wine has always done for me..help me fall asleep at night.  Interesting to see how "dependent" my physiology seems to be on alcohol.  Sigh. 

OK. Over with the whining.  It's a lovely steel-gray, blustery day out there and I'm off to my work commute.  Coffee with coconut milk and egg loaf for breakfast. Onward and upward !

4windsrider, you might try posting in the Troubleshooting section of the forum about this and see if anyone has any suggestions. List a couple of days' of food with approximate portion sizes, exercise, water intake, and anything else that might be relevant. Maybe someone will have some ideas that will help you.

If you haven't already, you might also read this article with some tips on good sleep hygiene. If you're not already doing the things mentioned in the article, they might also help.

• Moderators

Hello my name is Susan and Im 49 years old. Im on my 18th day of my very first January whole30. The past weeks was a struggle on cravings and starving but thank God and thanks to the program, i never had a cheat on anything. I do have occasional headaches in the morning and i am not sure if this is part of the process in cleaning my system??? anyone?

Hi, Susan.

Headaches early in a Whole30 are pretty common, but by day 18, most people have gotten past them. Since they happen occasionally and not all the time, you might try keeping a food log -- write down what you eat at each meal, nothing fancy, just a list with approximate serving sizes. Keep up with how much water you're drinking as well. Then note the days when you do have a headache, and see if you can tell from your food log what might be causing them. It may be really obvious -- if you haven't had enough water the day before, for instance, or if you had a really small supper the night before, or ate a bunch more fruit the day before than usual. Other times it may take some time to figure out -- it may be some food or type of food that you have occasionally, and when you start keeping a log, you may notice a pattern over time.

In general, the most common food-related things that you might check first would be: Are you eating enough? Are you drinking enough water (aim for 1/2 oz of water per pound of body weight, so if you weigh 120 lbs, aim for at least 60 oz of water)? Are you salting your food?

It does concern me that you mention "starving" -- we don't expect you to be hungry. Ideally, you'll have meals that keep you satisfied for 4-5 hours at a time, and for most people, that gets them three meals a day (plus pre- and post-workout meals based on activity). However, if you are truly hungry between meals, or if you have longer than usual days (like people who work 12 hour or more shifts), you may need more than that, and that's fine. When you do eat outside of those three regular meals, try to have either a full meal, or a mini-meal consisting of smaller portions of protein, fat, and vegetables.

Day 22! Yay!  So happy to have made it this far.  I have just come through some major life stress, and didn't know if I was sufficiently recovered to tackle this challenge.  So, this is a good sign for me.

I am continuing to address emotional eating and habit eating issues by focusing on three meals, no snacks.  I am learning to listen to my body and respond to what it is telling me.  I am learning how much food is enough to get me to the next meal without being too much.

I find that if I stop using food for non food needs (i.e. rest, entertainment, comfort) then I can see what I really need and give that to myself.  Otherwise, if I eat when I need something besides food, I am never satisfied.  This process is hard work!  

I am not overweight by the way, but its bc I have fought this issue my whole life.  It is a miserable way to live.  I am sick of fighting emotional dependance on food and am happy to be finding freedom on W30.  It is definitely worth the effort.

Day 21 off to a good start. For the last two days, despite going to bed at the same time, I've been waking up much earlier than normal. I've just been going with it and enjoying a little extra morning chill out time. 

Last night, I had a little "extinction burst" moment. My hubby has a business meeting down in Capitola (a very charming beach town) this afternoon and asked if I wanted to come with him. All I could think was how much I wished we could just go out for a "normal" dinner in a cute little seaside restaurant and have a glass of wine, etc. This W30 has been relatively peaceful, so I was surprised by the sudden appearance of my brain's temper tantrum.  :P Thankfully, it passed pretty quickly and was replaced by more practical planning "What could I pack in a cooler for dinner? Or where might we find compliant food, etc.) 

I don't know that I'd describe what I'm feeling as tiger blood, but I'm feeling good overall and not overthinking it.

I can relate to all this!  I've been waking early, and I have had momentary yearnings to go out for a normal dinner with a glass of wine for the fun of it.  But I used the same technique, visual another strategy, and think about long term vs short term pleasure.  I have been reading a lot on Melissa's blog about life after W30, to prepare for when the time comes.

Well done mdraeger!

Day 13 restart (original day 22). Gday to everyone out there.

A challenging and successful day today. Bloating reduced since I followed runcolarado and eliminated nuts and avo. Its still there but not extreme. I managed my second workout - but really sluggish and I just wanted to nap afterwards. Pte workout was breakfast. Post workout was a sweet potato and smoked salmon. I managed to make it through a lunch date at a chocolate shop (I couldn't concentrate on the conversation - I really like chocolate. Really.) And I made it through the cinemas passing the popcorn and coke around without cracking. I also really really like popcorn. Got home to a late dinner of leftover curry mince and vegetable medly and added coconut and coconut milk to change it up a bit. I also converted oz and pounds to metric for the whole 30 water intake and found that it's a bit more than what I usually consume, so i drank more today too. I am very much looking forward to a bit of tiger blood. My iron levels were low before I started but I think I need to return to iron supplements to keep my eyes open!

Have a great day 23 everyone!

Hi mdraeger,

Capitola is right down the road from my old stompin' grounds, Santa Cruz which used to have the largest number of vegetarian/"healthy-food" restaurants per capita of any city in the US! Many many places will bend over backwards to make a meal any way you want it.  Can't help with the wine part though  :rolleyes:  Hope you went and enjoyed the beach !  

Hello all!

I had to look at the date today to see what day it was - 22! I think that is a good sign?

I am eating well, and no real cravings. I have gotten a little lax in food prep at times, e.g. today the only protein I have in the house is canned tuna and limited veggies, but that is what lunch is going to be. Becoming much more adept at throwing together compliant meals in correct portions and actually it is working well in using up stuff in the refrigerator, so I guess it isn't a bad thing!

The last few days, I haven't slept well however and have woken up with a headache. Once I am up, I have lots of energy, so I must be sleeping somewhat ok, but my overall feeling is that I am restless. My garmin watch also indicates that I am sleeping deeply for only about half of the time I am in bed asleep (with ranges from 7-9 hours each night).

I am beginning to think of how I will approach reintroduction. I really am not missing anything; I am only missing the convenience of certain things. I am going to Mexico to an all inclusive on 18 February, so I do want to be done by then, so these next days I am going to plan exactly how I will reintroduce and I imagine I will do the fast track.

Hope everyone's day 22 (or other!) is going well! :) 

• Moderators

I agree with being sad it's going so fast.

I plan to stay the path and shoot for a whole 90 or 100. But 30 days it's easy to just tell people "I can't I'm doing whole30". After the 30 days is up there's excuse to fall back on!

Haha... how about 'I can't because I don't want to'?

I know, easier said than done, but part of the whole30 learning is learning to choose for yourself :)

Hi everyone!!

I am on day 22 of my first Whole30, and have to say I am a bit discouraged at this point.

Before going into the whole 30 I ate pretty good and I exercise regularly.

I have not experienced "tiger blood" at all, I am bloating on occasion and am still experiencing some bad gastric upset since day 10. Is anyone out there having the same problems as me, or have any ideas/remedies to make this journey more comfortable.

Thank you!

• Administrators

Hi everyone!!

I am on day 22 of my first Whole30, and have to say I am a bit discouraged at this point.

Before going into the whole 30 I ate pretty good and I exercise regularly.

I have not experienced "tiger blood" at all, I am bloating on occasion and am still experiencing some bad gastric upset since day 10. Is anyone out there having the same problems as me, or have any ideas/remedies to make this journey more comfortable.

Thank you!

What do you regularly eat, Jackie? Give us a run down on a couple typical days. Please include portions and meal timing.  Fluids, sleep, stress, exercise, any other underlying conditions you might have.

We can take a peek and see if there's anything that stands out.  Sometimes it's a simple tweak to have you feeling better.  (Nuts for example........so many people overeat nuts and they are a terrible gut disruptor)

Hey Team

Back/hip still a limiting factor for any exercise but I am (otherwise) feeling good.  I enjoyed my day off... with some shopping, food prep and relaxation today.  Went out to breakfast with the kids today before dropping them off at school.  We went to Denny's and I had just poached eggs and a fruit salad.  I know that there  were no veggies with breakfast but I had no options there and this was the only compliant choices.  I like poached eggs because there is no way for restaurants to "add things" like butter, milk or veggie oil to the eggs.

I compensated with complaint sausage, some guacamole and a big salad for lunch.

I had root veggie stew for dinner!

Good day all in all.  Just wish my hip would come around and settle down to allow for some exercise.  With time!!!

Cheers

DJ

What do you regularly eat, Jackie? Give us a run down on a couple typical days. Please include portions and meal timing.  Fluids, sleep, stress, exercise, any other underlying conditions you might have.

We can take a peek and see if there's anything that stands out.  Sometimes it's a simple tweak to have you feeling better.  (Nuts for example........so many people overeat nuts and they are a terrible gut disruptor)

Thanks for your reply!

Lately I have been working longer hours 10 -11 hour shifts (I am a hybrid MRI/X-ray tech).  Causing me to be extremely tired once I am home.  Usually I will be asleep on the couch around 7pm, then move to bed around 8-9pm.  My alarm is set for 6am but will usually snooze until around 6:20-6:30AM, I am finding it next to impossible to get out of bed even after nearly 12 hours sleep. 

I will then get up eat around 7am, consisting of 2-3 eggs unsweetened apple sauce and some pecans, or left overs from the night before.  Once I am out of bed I am fine and have more energy then normal.  At this point however; sometimes the smell of breakfast or the thought of eating makes me want to be sick and I usually have to leave my meal to use the bathroom, which is not a pleasant experience.  (No I am not pregnant). Once that passes I am usually good to go.  I drink about 1.5 L of water with some lemon in it till I eat lunch at 1230pm.  Usually a salad with half a can of tuna, veggies (peppers, cucumber, apple, berries, ect) with homemade balsamic dressing, and an apple with homemade almond butter.  I am usually hungry for lunch but not needing it at all.

Dinner is usually around 630pm, chicken (1small/medium breast), pork or beef primarily, with roasted veg and a green salad (oranges, sunflower seeds, almonds, avocado, lettuce, homemade dressing. 

I am totally fine to get up and clean the kitchen after, which is new.  

For the last couple days even after dinner I have to visit the washroom again for another bm.  Then I am back asleep once I sit down on the couch. 

I walk my dog twice a day usually around 40 min a walk.  I will also job 3-4 km about 2-3 times a week.  I haven't been to the gym for any weight since the beginning of Jan, just due to scheduling. 

As for underlying conditions - I have a gluten sensitivity, IBS runs in my familiy,and I have severe endometriosis. 

Thanks for your help :)

Well, day 22 has been quiet, but busy. I had to get through an interview by skype - luckily an interview as the outgoing person in my position - and while that was going on, my DH discovered that our water was out (doing the dishes, he was! soon he wasn't. no water was happening).  The pump that is at the bottom of our 360-foot deep artesian well seems to have died. Fun repairs tomorrow...

Then it was dentist time - some work on a tooth that lost a shard just before the holidays - and that was just a great time. But dinner was all planned and easy to put together, while buckets of pond water were heating on the wood cook stove so I could do dishes. Should I say that it sucked pond water? 

In any case, all is well - plenty of energy and evenness of mood to deal with it! I only wanted a stiff drink about four times!  Took a herbal liquorice spice tea instead. 

Jackie_15 - I am sure you will get a great answer from the moderators. They are super helpful and I hope you start feeling better soon. You're doing the right thing by bringing it here!

on day 11 here. tough day but I stuck the landing. I read in the whole 30 book that people quit most often on day 10 or 11 so I am hoping it gets easier. We are expecting a big storm here in New York so I anticipate being in the house for a couple of days. Stay everyone and stay home if you can. 

My iron levels were low before I started but I think I need to return to iron supplements to keep my eyes open!

You might find some liver will do you the world of good. I'd never cooked liver before my first W30 and I like this recipe http://meljoulwan.com/2012/01/08/crispy-spiced-chicken-livers/ (I even found an organic butcher to get chicken livers from!)

Lately I have been working longer hours 10 -11 hour shifts (I am a hybrid MRI/X-ray tech).  Causing me to be extremely tired once I am home.  Usually I will be asleep on the couch around 7pm, then move to bed around 8-9pm.  My alarm is set for 6am but will usually snooze until around 6:20-6:30AM, I am finding it next to impossible to get out of bed even after nearly 12 hours sleep. 

I will then get up eat around 7am, consisting of 2-3 eggs unsweetened apple sauce and some pecans, or left overs from the night before.  Once I am out of bed I am fine and have more energy then normal.  At this point however; sometimes the smell of breakfast or the thought of eating makes me want to be sick and I usually have to leave my meal to use the bathroom, which is not a pleasant experience.  (No I am not pregnant). Once that passes I am usually good to go.  I drink about 1.5 L of water with some lemon in it till I eat lunch at 1230pm.  Usually a salad with half a can of tuna, veggies (peppers, cucumber, apple, berries, ect) with homemade balsamic dressing, and an apple with homemade almond butter.  I am usually hungry for lunch but not needing it at all.

Dinner is usually around 630pm, chicken (1small/medium breast), pork or beef primarily, with roasted veg and a green salad (oranges, sunflower seeds, almonds, avocado, lettuce, homemade dressing. 

I am totally fine to get up and clean the kitchen after, which is new.  

For the last couple days even after dinner I have to visit the washroom again for another bm.  Then I am back asleep once I sit down on the couch. 

I walk my dog twice a day usually around 40 min a walk.  I will also job 3-4 km about 2-3 times a week.  I haven't been to the gym for any weight since the beginning of Jan, just due to scheduling. 

As for underlying conditions - I have a gluten sensitivity, IBS runs in my familiy,and I have severe endometriosis. 

Sorry I am not quite sure how to reply to your comment, I hope that doesn't bugger you up too much :)

As a long time shift worker, I don't think you're getting anywhere near enough food! Eggs & applesauce will not get you through to lunchtime. Most people can hold 3-4 eggs, rather than 2-3.

You mentioned you're hungry at lunch, but not needing it, not sure what that means? We want you to listen to your body, if it's hungry, you need to eat.

The lack of hunger in the morning is hormone/body clock disruption, not surprising since you've been working long shifts and your sleep isn't refreshing. I also can't see any pre & post workout meals and you're doing a fair bit of exercise, this is going to leave you hungry and tired.

Some things to try:

• Eat a lot more veggies (lay off the fruit if it's pushing veggies off your plate), especially starchy veg, 3 cups in a meal.
  • Eat the pre and post workout meals listed in the template pdf.
  • Add an additional meal on days where you're working more than 8 hours, make it a mini meal if you're not sure you can fit it in.
  • Try not to disrupt your sleep so much, hitting snooze and moving from couch to bed stops you from getting more deep sleep. Set your alarm for 6.30 not 6, go to bed when you're tired, don't stay up on the couch. These are actually behaviours listed in bad "sleep hygiene", as they make you think you're getting a lot of sleep when you're really not. It takes time to fall asleep and constant interruptions will keep you out of deep sleep, which your body needs to regenerate.
  • If you try all of these and you're still tired, you may want to skip the jogging (keep the walk) until you're back to normal. If your cortisol (stress hormone) is running high, it can wear out your body and exercise can make this worse (this often happens when you're not getting enough sleep, as this keeps cortisol higher than it should be).

You might find some liver will do you the world of good. I'd never cooked liver before my first W30 and I like this recipe http://meljoulwan.com/2012/01/08/crispy-spiced-chicken-livers/ (I even found an organic butcher to get chicken livers from!)

As a long time shift worker, I don't think you're getting anywhere near enough food! Eggs & applesauce will not get you through to lunchtime. Most people can hold 3-4 eggs, rather than 2-3.

You mentioned you're hungry at lunch, but not needing it, not sure what that means? We want you to listen to your body, if it's hungry, you need to eat.

The lack of hunger in the morning is hormone/body clock disruption, not surprising since you've been working long shifts and your sleep isn't refreshing. I also can't see any pre & post workout meals and you're doing a fair bit of exercise, this is going to leave you hungry and tired.

Some things to try:

• Eat a lot more veggies (lay off the fruit if it's pushing veggies off your plate), especially starchy veg, 3 cups in a meal.
  • Eat the pre and post workout meals listed in the template pdf.
  • Add an additional meal on days where you're working more than 8 hours, make it a mini meal if you're not sure you can fit it in.
  • Try not to disrupt your sleep so much, hitting snooze and moving from couch to bed stops you from getting more deep sleep. Set your alarm for 6.30 not 6, go to bed when you're tired, don't stay up on the couch. These are actually behaviours listed in bad "sleep hygiene", as they make you think you're getting a lot of sleep when you're really not. It takes time to fall asleep and constant interruptions will keep you out of deep sleep, which your body needs to regenerate.
  • If you try all of these and you're still tired, you may want to skip the jogging (keep the walk) until you're back to normal. If your cortisol (stress hormone) is running high, it can wear out your body and exercise can make this worse (this often happens when you're not getting enough sleep, as this keeps cortisol higher than it should be).

Thank you for your response, I appreciate you taking the time. 

I do eat until I am full and eat when I am hungry.  For lunch when I say "not needing it," I mean that I am not crabby or cranky or in desperate need of a meal.  I feel like my meals take me further in the day.  However; you make good points.  I tried 3-4 eggs in my first couple days and I ended up giving my boyfriend a majority of them,  part of this may have been from feeling sick to my stomach, but I really do eat until I am full.  

Point well taken about the pre and post work out, because it's just walking my dog I didn't look at it as a workout more just exercise for my dog.  But you make a valid point and I will adjust this. 

I am trying to listen to my body but sometimes it seems like it speaks a different language lol

Thank you so much for you help.  - I was reading that some people do take a probiotic, is this something you would recommend?

Thanks again :)

Archived