CALLING ALL JANUARY 1ST WHOLE30ERS!

found.in.nature

• Replies 814
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Day 28 done and dusted - it was a close shave for dinner. I had to go to a reception, knowing there would probably be nothing I would want to eat, but my plan to eat something before going was killed by a meeting that ran overtime. I was not terribly hungry, so it was not too bad, but an evening with circulating servers offering wine and delicious-looking finger food from sweet potato potstickers (I did not think that peeling off the outside would look too cool!) to little felafels with raita and some kind of artichoke and cheese thing - none of it was tempting! I did have two asparagus spears without dipping them in the sauce offered. They were just lightly steamed and delicious, so that and about a gallon of sparkling water had to hold me until I got home and beat the world record for making a veggies and squid green curry. It was wonderful. 

I must say I am looking forward to that glass of wine on Sunday, but none of the off-plan foods have power! 

have a good one ----

Tomorrow is day 30 for many of you! A huge congrats! I am really looking forward to hearing about everyone's reintroductions!

Day 20 for me (originally 29) done and dusted. Had a rough patch the last few days with an IBS flair up. Put it out there in troubleshooting and got immediate advice. Implemented the advice today successfully, albeit a bit scattered as I had to hit the shops to find stuff I could actually eat following the advice, delaying M1 until many hours after wake up. So more restrictions for me and 10 days to go. I am optimistic that this will be the beginning of great things :)

(First food dream the other night about the most perfect porridge - complete with butter and brown sugar!) I woke up and told my family about it and they said it sounded so good, they all felt like porridge for breakfast.... Then proceeded to make it! It smelt delicious! But not as good as my salmon :)

Hello Everyone, I am ashamed to admit it, but I fell off the wagon. I had a bad day, was not as well prepared as I thought I was, and I ate some non compliant food. I am not going to beat myself up over this. I will just continue with my Whole 30. I will get back in the saddle so to speak. I am planning on continuing my W30 beyond January 30th. 

Healthy eating everyone. 

Don't beat yourself up. It happens sometimes. I am on day 18 after messing up on Jan 11-12. and I have been compliant ever since. Getting back on the plan is harder if you are mad at yourself. I think of it as a process not a contest. Hang in there. 

• Moderators

Hello Everyone, I am ashamed to admit it, but I fell off the wagon. I had a bad day, was not as well prepared as I thought I was, and I ate some non compliant food. I am not going to beat myself up over this. I will just continue with my Whole 30. I will get back in the saddle so to speak. I am planning on continuing my W30 beyond January 30th. 

Healthy eating everyone. 

Sorry to hear that this happened.  The reason that we encourage starting over (depending on what you ate) is because doing the re-introductions is the most important part of this journey and if you don't complete the whole 30 days, your re-intro will not provide you with true results.

You say you're going to go past January, which is great, but before you do re-introductions, you're encouraged to have 30 full days compliant.

I'll give it a shot. Mayonnaise is my favorite fat to add to meals beyond those used in cooking. I know there are egg-free recipes and I'll try those too, but I'm the kind of person who would rather not eat a particular food at all rather than a substitute (i.e. real bread vs gluten-free bread). The exception to that is coconut and almond milks. I adore those.

Follow Your Heart brand grape seed oil Vegenaise ingredients: Grapeseed oil, filtered water, brown rice syrup, apple cider vinegar, soy protein, sea salt, mustard flour, lemon juice concentrate. NO carageenan.  If you're just looking for a good "egg-free" mayo to try after whole30. 

• Moderators

Follow Your Heart brand grape seed oil Vegenaise ingredients: Grapeseed oil, filtered water, brown rice syrup, apple cider vinegar, soy protein, sea salt, mustard flour, lemon juice concentrate. NO carageenan.  If you're just looking for a good "egg-free" mayo to try after whole30. 

Good catch on no carageenan... I didnt' see that one!  Yes, this would be acceptable after whole30 but whomever is using it should make sure they've tested soy and gluten free grains :)

After reading about Cocojoe's tiny mishap with "soy" in a lemon teabag (really ?! Grrrrrr) I'm realizing that one of the most important habits I've adopted doing Whole30 (with, no doubt, some as-yet-undiscovered non-compliance along the way) is that of reading ingredients. I am continually amazed and ticked off by the amount of garbage ingredients that companies insist on putting into otherwise good food ! As we all become better informed and boycott or protest stupid additives to our foods I think companies will slowly get the message. I saw a SO Delicious creamer that stopped using Titanium Dioxide as a "whitener" due to public demand.YAY. Baby steps. I look at ingredients more carefully now…would never have DREAMED of soy in a tea bag !! Thanks for sharing, Cocojoe. This is a wonderful program to get the basics from and then off to riding our own bikes !!!   :D

After reading about Cocojoe's tiny mishap with "soy" in a lemon teabag (really ?! Grrrrrr) I'm realizing that one of the most important habits I've adopted doing Whole30 (with, no doubt, some as-yet-undiscovered non-compliance along the way) is that of reading ingredients. I am continually amazed and ticked off by the amount of garbage ingredients that companies insist on putting into otherwise good food ! As we all become better informed and boycott or protest stupid additives to our foods I think companies will slowly get the message. I saw a SO Delicious creamer that stopped using Titanium Dioxide as a "whitener" due to public demand.YAY. Baby steps. I look at ingredients more carefully now…would never have DREAMED of soy in a tea bag !! Thanks for sharing, Cocojoe. This is a wonderful program to get the basics from and then off to riding our own bikes !!!   :D

I have to say that the reading of labels and catching ALL ingredients has by far been the most challenging thing about the program for me. This coming from a kind of obsessed label reader to begin with. It is staggering the number of times I have missed stuff after reading the label once, even twice. If I had a nickel for every time I returned food items because I missed something on the label in the store I would be a millionaire. Like proofreading, it takes multiple times doing it with laser beam focus. I agree, this program really teaches a very important skill. 

I am still pissed about that GMO soy in my tea. I will be far more careful in the future.

Heading for an early to bed soon so this day is essentially done. One more day left so to celebrate I went shopping: pork butt, chicken thighs, lots of vegs off the cheap rack ( soon to expire)....I will begin re-intros Sunday, but my grocery cart is still so very w30. In my previous W30's, I never properly did legumes and gluten so that's my mission this time. I don't think of tomorrow as the end; I think of the days to come as a continuation of the adventure.

a big pan of stuffed cabbage (riced cauliflower) is coming out of the oven in a few minutes. And I'm about to come out of the 'whole30 oven' tomorrow. To say it was life changing... Well you know. I didn't take supplements during the month. And I felt wonderfully better. I did however have an episode of HA with bowel sluggishness, sinus flair up and neck/shoulder pain. It's my signature malaise. So I got to wondering if I could reintroduce supplements first, to see if they have a protective effect. I have periodically taken L-carnetine, co enzyme q-10 and vit b complex. My hope has been to see if my headache and related symptoms might be related to a mitochondrial disfunction. My adult child has been diagnosed with Cyclic vomiting syndrome which is thought to be one of a constellation of conditions related to mitochondrial dysfunction. So long story short, I think I will add the supplements and continue with whole 30 another 30 days. Can I go 30 days without a headache? I'll see.

Well, tomorrow is the magic #30. I am looking forward to my first lentils on Sunday. I have missed them more than anything else (well, maybe wine). I nice batch of red lentil curry soupy stuff that can be soup or sauce is the first thing I'll make! I like it with any meal, or over anything.

Three people told me how great I am looking this morning - they all mentioned skin, and one said I look younger every time she sees me (I'm 62!). It was rather embarrassing, but nice to hear. I do really feel good - and I have kind of re-defined tiger blood. I think I was so used to being cranked up on a kind of hyper energy (stress addict for sure!) that the even and good energy I have now seemed a bit of a let down. Here in these last few days I am saying good bye to that hyperness (and the crashes that followed) and enjoying getting a lot done while staying focussed and strong, but not flying around. 

tally ho!

So today marks day 30 of my Whole 30 although I have decided I will continue as per usual with no particular deadline to finish but rather if and when I feel like something outside of the plan. My reasons for this is I feel I have only just begun to hit my stride. I am enjoying my increased energy and productivity levels and my mental alertness and also, I have no particular cravings for anything off the plan as yet. I'm also still enjoying and exploring my behavioural patterns and thought processes around my relationship to certain foods and alcohol and I like the feeling of control I now feel I have over that. As it stands, I am currently on another work trip and am now in my hotel room with food cooked this morning and brought along and, a kombucha (as opposed to ordering a dodgy room service and having a beer or a glass of wine  :P ) but yet I don't feel I am missing out on anything. I'm not sure if it is a state of intense mindfulness or what but I do feel just far more 'connected' than I have for a long time and am quite keen to ride that boat a bit longer. 

For those that have had a tough time of it or restarted their W30 I hope you continue to acknowledge your efforts and learning and remember as much as there is a template and plan it is also your own personal journey. Hopefully that includes self acceptance and acknowledgement of all your victories as well as the trials and tough times because ultimately we are each individually the only ones that can make sense of what we do and why. Maybe that's that intense mindfulness I was talking about, just being attuned to our inner voices and getting along better with them? 

Anyhow, happy healthy eating to all and well done to all of us, no matter where we are in our W30 journey.  :D

I have periodically taken L-carnetine, co enzyme q-10 and vit b complex. My hope has been to see if my headache and related symptoms might be related to a mitochondrial disfunction. My adult child has been diagnosed with Cyclic vomiting syndrome which is thought to be one of a constellation of conditions related to mitochondrial dysfunction. So long story short, I think I will add the supplements and continue with whole 30 another 30 days. Can I go 30 days without a headache? I'll see.

Do your supplements have any off plan ingredients?

If you've not been tested for MTHFR, you may want to get this when you next have a blood test. It affects cellular function & regeneration.

Cocojo - I have also had the soy in tea thing break a Whole30 before and it's very annoying (I'd checked the brand before and they added it in a later box which I didn't check, in my own house). That type of soy doesn't trigger a reaction in a lot of people, but in soy sensitives it can, so just keep that in mind for reintroductions :) As long as you learn something from it, the journey continues. I no longer buy any tea which contains it as it just plain doesn't belong in tea. It's not done to improve the product, it's added for a subsidy. Some brands are now removing it due to customer backlash :D

Sorry to hear that this happened.  The reason that we encourage starting over (depending on what you ate) is because doing the re-introductions is the most important part of this journey and if you don't complete the whole 30 days, your re-intro will not provide you with true results.

You say you're going to go past January, which is great, but before you do re-introductions, you're encouraged to have 30 full days compliant.

That is what I will do SugarcubeOD. I plan to be compliant for 30 days. And plan for anything so I can stay compliant. Thank you.

Day 30 and still I learned something new. Looked around for something "good " for breakfast and leftover chocolate chili came to mind. (Reminded me I have new definition of what constitutes "good"). Thinking template, I found some roasted vegs that looked a little limp - toaster oven made them crisp up again. Fat - someone here mentioned chili with avocado chunks. When I did my last W30, I learned dairy is not my friend- return of joint swelling, muscle ache and facial eruptions. The avocado is my new sour cream on chili!!!!

Thank you to all who post their tips, tricks and adventures with food to help us all down the road. Thank you to the moderators who help us to see where the potholes in the road are.

How amazing to be on Day 30 and remember how "extreme" this seemed at first. Now, totally normal.  I AM looking forward to far fewer eggs and finally back to some black beans and tofu in my diet !  (Oh yeh..and wine). But will re-introduce carefully.  Nice to have completed a second "vegetarian" whole30. This program is SO valuable for assessing one's diet and possible food sensitivities. I'm really glad we non-carnivores can get those benefits as well !

QUESTION:  Will anyone be continuing to post on this thread to share re-intro experiences ?

I would love to keep seeing how the next few weeks are going for everyone...

• Moderators

How amazing to be on Day 30 and remember how "extreme" this seemed at first. Now, totally normal.  I AM looking forward to far fewer eggs and finally back to some black beans and tofu in my diet !  (Oh yeh..and wine). But will re-introduce carefully.  Nice to have completed a second "vegetarian" whole30. This program is SO valuable for assessing one's diet and possible food sensitivities. I'm really glad we non-carnivores can get those benefits as well !

QUESTION:  Will anyone be continuing to post on this thread to share re-intro experiences ?

I would love to keep seeing how the next few weeks are going for everyone...

To keep things clear for others coming along, we ask that someone from your group make a re-intro thread in the After Whole30 section of the forum to discuss reintros and riding your own bikes. If you like, a moderator can make that thread for you and post the link here, or you're welcome to do the same. We like to keep the 'Join the Whole30' section unerringly compliant for those who come after you :)

I've been slack in coming in here but whole 30 finished and of course on day 31 I finally make homemade almond milk OMG where have you been all my life. I've managed to have no caffeine for the whole 30 and have decided that dairy is now not for me (sob sob it's so yummy). I think my sugar addiction is now under control and I've lost 2kg. I'm a pretty all or nothing person so I think I'll drink the occasional coffee and allow myself to have some baked goods but apart from that I'm going to stick to a stricter paleo diet. I know I tolerate rice but I'd prefer to skip it and I've discovered activating my nuts as during the whole 30 I realised I can't tolerate cashews, but once soaked I'm all good. I'm making an apple and berry crumble for dessert tonight with cashew cream, it's sugar free and the topping is nuts and coconut, my husband laughed at what I was planning on indulging with but you know I'm not really wanting chocolate because of the dairy or anything laden with sugar that will be too sweet and disgusting anyway.

Day 30 winding down. I got kind of weird feeling today - obsessing over something that had nothing to do with food - so finally I went shopping and prepared some foods ahead to break my non-food obsession! It was odd, but it worked. I feel better now.

So tomorrow - wine or lentils? hmmm.

Day 22 (originally 31....) and day three on low FODMAP. Feeling fairly good, great sleep and limited bloating (woot woot).

M1- roast chicken, red pepper, zucchini, white potato and turnip.

M2 - lamb shank zucchini, turnip, olives.

M3 - lamb cutlets, roasted eggplant, white potato, salad lettuce, baby spinach, tomato, cucumber.

Magnesium supplement.

I don't imagine there are too many people left on this forum now! I had a dear friend deliver a box of organic raw desserts. They will wait.

Archived