CALLING ALL JANUARY 1ST WHOLE30ERS!

found.in.nature

This is my first Whole 30, starting January 2nd.  I'm actually pretty excited about it as I feel I can really benefit from an exercise in self-control, particularly regarding wine and cheese!!!  I have recruited two of my best girlfriends to do it with me, so that will be nice.  Live in Montana, age 43.  LOVE to cook, so I can't wait to try out some new recipes (many of my current ones call for cheese :wacko: ) Bought both books and have already started reviewing the Whole 30 one with all the recipes... they look great!  Need to lose 30 lbs, although that is not why I am doing the Whole 30.  For me, it's more about doing something extreme to get the nutritional "reset" and better self-control, to know that I can make better choices once I'm done with the Whole 30.  I am certain I will be feeling fabulous toward the end of my 30 days :D I wish all of my fellow January Whole 30'ers the best!!! WE GOT THIS.

• Replies 814
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi All,

This is my 2nd Whole 30.  My first was Jan 2015.  I believe I followed the program 100% but never did get the "tiger blood" feeling.  I did feel good at the end and lost 14 pounds.  I've gotten a little out of control over the holidays and feel very bloated and lethargic.  I'm looking forward to losing both of those feelings!  I have arthritis in both knees (well I guess just one now since I had a full replacement a few months ago that I'm still healing from) and regular headaches and migraines.  Other than that I'm fairly healthy.  I lost 85 lbs from June 2014 to Feb 2015.  I've put 7 lbs back on and know I need to nip this in the bud before I go too far backward.  I would still like to lose another 20 (well I guess 27 counting the newly regained!).  My goal is to do the Whole 30 and, at a minimum, continue with the no added sugar and no dairy once it's over, as well as limiting grains.

The absolute hardest part for me last time was my coffee -not being able to add half and half and sugar (I'm the type that likes a little coffee with my cream and sugar :wacko: ).  Although I substituted coconut cream - it just never did the trick. I tried the "bulletproof" coffee and it was just disgusting.  I think that might be my biggest goal - to get used to tea instead!!! 

I'm really excited to get started tomorrow!!!

Michelle

Hey everyone... NYE responder here ;) I'm Ashley from Texas & this will be my 2nd whole 30. 1st one was about 3yrs ago & quite honestly, I didn't make it the whole 30 days. But since then I have completed 10months of dairy/soy free & while it wasn't sugar free--I feel more able to do a true whole 30 since doing that. On the other hand, I'm pretty nervous about eliminating sugar because I definitely know I am a sugar/sweet addict!

I'm completing this whole 30 because I have gained 10lbs in 3 months d/t starting a new job where lunch is provided by drug reps daily, :/ plus I have off/on gut issues, suffer greatly from allergies, & while I'm still breastfeeding a 19mo toddler about 1-2xs/day, yet my cycle still has not returned & im starting to wonder if my hormones may be out of whack....

Anyhow, I'm excited to be completing a whole 30 again!!

Hi everyone, I'm Stacey from Canberra, Australia. I'm starting my whole 30 today, this will be my 3rd or maybe 4th. I have to get my diet back on track as its all over the place, I have a massive sugar demon that needs slaying and have been too lazy to prepare food. I've also given up coffee which may actually kill me.

Hi everyone, I'm Stacey from Canberra, Australia. I'm starting my whole 30 today, this will be my 3rd or maybe 4th. I have to get my diet back on track as its all over the place, I have a massive sugar demon that needs slaying and have been too lazy to prepare food. I've also given up coffee which may actually kill me.

HI Stacey, I'm glad there is a fellow Aussie on here for grocery/food discussion and shop/product info!  :) Why have you given up coffee though??!

This is my first whole 30! I am very excited but slightly nervous. I am 35 and have been a dieter forever. I also suffer from Hashimoto's. I was on a paleo diet last year and saw great results until I started making paleo cookies, cakes, and breads. I hope this gets me back on track! Any and all help is greatly appreciated!!

Hi all!

My name is Jane, this will be my first Whole30 and (of course) I am starting it on January 1st.  I am a 29-year-old Canadian woman who has struggled with my weight/self-esteem/relationship with food for basically my entire life.  I picked up the Whole30 book on a whim while doing some Boxing Day shopping, brought it home, and read it cover to cover that night.  Found myself nodding my head over and over as I thought about the mental and physical complaints I have been noticing over the last couple of years, and especially since I started a stressful, busy new job about 5 months ago.

After cringing my way through the rules (No diet coke? No chocolate?! No double-double from Timmies?!?  NO SCALE?!?!?!?!), I decided to give the program a shot.  I have cleaned out my pantry and fridge as best as I can, made a meal plan for the first three days, bought a bunch of herbal tea and club soda...and clarified some butter!  (Mayonnaise is tomorrow's project)

I know that my biggest hurdle will be changing my relationship with food, and breaking that association between "food" and "reward".  If anyone has any tips for making the psychological journey any easier, I am open to suggestions!

Really excited and hopeful for this new start, good luck to everyone and HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!!!!!!!!   :D

This is my third W30 and I can hardly say how much I've learned on this journey. This time I want to try to simplify- focus on meals with less prep that fit the template. Staying with the template has worked so well for me that it has almost become a mantra: palm size protein, thumb size fat, fill the rest of the plate with veggies. I still envision a weekly cook but simplify is my theme. I can do do anything for 30 days so here is my next step to health!

We are new to Whole30!  Got books a week ago and have been reading up.  My 23 year old son asked my husband and I to join him in this endeavor starting tomorrow, Jan 1st!  He has had GI issues for a few years and after many doctor visits & tests, no definitive answers, gluten free and mostly dairy free diet, has seen improvement but is not 100%. He heard about Whole30 through a colleague.  He lives a state away (S. Dakota for him, Minneapolis for us) and has a new job so I will be helping plan meals weekly for him to implement. So even though they grow up, boys still need their mamas!  :)

I've participated in a green smoothie challenge and a 21 day cleanse a couple years ago but admit I am a little anxious about taking this on. I am a healthy 50 year old who exercises so I can eat what I want--which includes desserts, all things chocolate, pizza, and a glass of red wine. (I had all of them this evening!) I am not looking forward to the sugar detox symptoms that I know are coming along with having to skip the coconut creamer in my tea. But I am super excited to see what Whole30 can do for our son and us!

I'm in too! Just did a whole 27 (derailed for new years and learned how strong my sugar Dragon still is), and I plan to continue for 45-60 days, until the sugar thoughts and dreams are vanquished. Let's do this, people! I'm excited for comraderie this time.

I'm 41, live in northern Minnesota, and have 2 young children and a husband who are not joining me.

Hello Everyone,

I will be starting my very first Whole 30 on January 1st 2016!

I am excited but also quite anxious, for several reasons:

- I have convinced my husband and children to join me in the Whole 30 and I hope that I can provide adequate meals to ensure that we stick with the      programme for 30 days.

- I am a Nigerian living in Nigeria (Africa) and a lot of the ingredients, vegetables and recipes are either unknown or unavailable.

|However, I am very happy to see that Yam and Bone broth are acceptable foods. I will be posting about my experience and I hope all goes well.

Hi Felicitas - I feel your pain, I am in Thailand and many of the extras that make the Whole30 just a bit easier for those in the west are unheard of here too.  I have basics - veg, fruit, sweet potatoes and meat / fish.  But that is ok - a tin of tuna & hard boiled eggs with fruit are my emergency supplies for when I am just too fatigued by food prep to do it properly.  That keeps me sane and on the path.  Good luck!!

I'm in. I decided last night to join. I'm still on vacation and have a girls birthday get-away trip in a week so this might be a little nuts.

I've done a couple Whole30s but I ducked-out of my last one. I am a runner in South Florida with a 5 lb problem. I need to manage the sugar dragon so that my running time is faster and my running shorts are looser.

Good luck to all today. Since I'm not home, I'm not weighing myself but this may work to my benefit!

My kids and husband are NOT joining but since they eat what I prepare, I hope this month puts them on a healthier track for 2016. No pasta dishes or rice dishes for dinner will be a good change.

Good luck all today!

Hi! This is my 2nd Whole30 and I am psyched and attempting to do a Whole60 so I can be ready for a big family vacation in March. I love to cook, am moderately active and felt great the last time I did this. I think I got off track before because I didn't plan well enough and agonized over what to eat at every meal. This time around, I have all of my lunches and dinners planned out for the next month, so now I don't really have to think about it. I'm really excited and really looking forward to what this month has to bring.

Hi, I'm Ashley, and I'm starting my first Whole 30 today! In my mid-20s, but have been experiencing some strange health problems for the past few months. I hate being on a lot of medication, so I'm hoping Whole 30 can help me learn if my bad food habits have something to do with it. Biggest challenge will be overcoming my own laziness to prepare food everyday :)

Hi I'm Mary! I'm starting my first Whole30 today. I have an addiction to coke zero, pasta, coke zero & pasta. Did I mention coke zero? My husband has graciously volunteered to do this with me and is equally excited.  I'm in my mid-thirties w two preschoolers.  

Hello everyone! This is my first time on the forum, and I am starting my second Whole30 today after indulging a bit, mostly on alcohol, over the holidays. I look forward to that clean, sparkling feeling I had achieved on December 15th! And the increased energy and lack of dark circles under my eyes. Here we go!!! :) 

Hi and Happy New Year

I did a w30 in Oct 2015. It was great but took awhile to get the meal template down. I did manage to stay compliant but was still snacking more than I think was intended. Overall, it was a great experience! Giving up pop (a daily habit) was so hard but I have managed to not reintroduce it because I realized daily pop consumption was giving me stomach aches. Without the pop, no more stomachs aches. So, it was a surprising thing to learn and I am grateful to w30 program for that NSV (non scale victory).

I tried again in Nov but only lasted a few days. Too many social events to work around.

I plan to be successful this time by adhering to template and eliminating (or greatly reducing) snacking. No one in my house (teenage boys and hubby) are remotely interested in the w30 program but since I am primary cook, they eat what I make and add in other items (bread, pasta, etc). I know the biggest success factor is having food prepared!i have both w30 books and Well Fed cook book (highly recommend that).

I love to exercise but also find it complicates what to eat when so I would love to hear how others manage that.

Good luck to all of you. I am grateful to be starting this journey with this group.

Starting today and very happy to have the holidays over and get some structure back.  This will be my third one and while I eat this way mostly I have gotten very sloppy with too much drinking over the holidays as well as too much sugar.  Ate a gorgeous breakfast this morning and can't wait until we get a few more days into the month and I get my energy and good sleep back!  Good luck to everyone and from experience this month will be amazing if you commit to it!

I'm new to Whole30 and today is day ONE!  However, I'm having a tough time with planning:  With the onslaught of social media and all the hundreds of fabulous blogs and thousands of recipes available, I'm on brain overload!!!  I just don't have time to carefully sift through all of this to come up with my own plan!!  I'd rather just get to the nuts and bolts and have a 30 day meal plan (breakfast lunch and dinner) mapped out for me to follow.   Just tell me what to eat and I'll buy the groceries and prepare the meals.  That's it.  I'll print it out and post on my fridge (yes, the old fashioned way!).   Can anyone point me to this??  

Archived