CALLING ALL JANUARY 1ST WHOLE30ERS!

found.in.nature

Day 1 off to a good start. Went to the gym this morning, fixed a nice egg hash and chili cooking in the crockpot. Need to do some additional prep for the week. Want to make some mayo and ranch dressing for the week. Took measurements last night and didn't like what I saw. That is going to change :)

• Replies 814
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi guys, 

My first day went fine, omelette for breakfast with vege filling and salad, reheated some left over roast lamb and steamed some broccoli and kale with then tossed them in garlic and oil, threw a steak on the barbecue for dinner with some salad, no cravings, no real hunger in between meals. I have to say I didn't do a lot of prep prior to starting my W30 which was a bit slack of me but I generally have a fairly cleanish fridge. Last night I threw the turkey carcass and bones from Christmas into the slow cooker (was a nice organic pastured bird too) and am making up a broth with that to use over the next month in different ways. Anyway, I saw this recipe on FB which looked quite yummy, just wondering on the almond flour amount and the W30 compliance side of it (it looked like quite a lot of almond flour to me)-does anyone have any thoughts on this? [bTW, we have a great butcher who cures his own bacon with celery and fruit so luckily have the bacon side of things covered but you could make this with compliant serrano/parma too surely?] http://www.justjessieb.com/2013/10/cauliflower-biscuits-with-bacon-jalapeno.html

• Moderators

It's a bit of a higher ratio of almond flour to vegetables in my opinion and a bit too close to a biscuit... as there is no 'paleofying baked goods' on Whole30, save this recipe for your life after Whole30.... they do look yummy so they'll be good when you're done!

Thanks Sugarcube, yep, I thought it was a large amount of AF too, was thinking to cut it down but you are right, nice to have the recipe for later. So as far as the 'floury' stuff, almond, coconut, the like, would you just use them if needed in small amounts in patties, burger type meals?

"How's everyone feeling on your day 1? I'm a little afraid that I'll experience "the hangover" stage at full force this time because my body has SO MUCH to detox after the holidays kicked my butt so hard. I may seem a little angry..."

I snapped at my husband when I caught him picking at my prepped "perfect seared chicken breasts" (p.157 whole30) He gave me a nasty look and I replied with a "you DON'T want to mess with me" look. Fortunately, he knows... I've been down this road before. I offer many apologies to my family in the early days. They offer the grace I need as encouragement.

Hello! 

I'll be starting my first Whole30 on January 4th! Today I'm doing all my planning for Week 1 and possibly some Week 2. I've been eating all of 2015, however I started a desk job mid-year and things have been going down hill. I've noticed that my digestion is just all out of whack and I've realized that things I thought were normal (since everyone in my family does them) probably weren't. I exercise at least four times a week for a minimum 1 hour and I'm hoping to keep that up. The main draw for me to this program was that it wasn't centered around numbers - my main enemy when it comes to my body journey. I hope by the end of this that I'll feel a positive change in the way I feel about my body and to balance out my digestive system. 

Hi all! Starting my very first round today. Felling EXCITED and no fear surprisingly.... Something that has always accompanied me when starting a new diet. I'm in northern ca, have two young sons (6mo and 2yrs) and pretty rabid sugar problem. Looking forward to stomping my sugar demon and hopefully kicking off a great year of setting a good example for my kids. Breakfast and lunch have gone off without a hitch, I know after dinner will be my challenge! Thanks for all the love and support I know I have coming from y'all. Alex

• Administrators

Thanks Sugarcube, yep, I thought it was a large amount of AF too, was thinking to cut it down but you are right, nice to have the recipe for later. So as far as the 'floury' stuff, almond, coconut, the like, would you just use them if needed in small amounts in patties, burger type meals?

Almond flour, coconut flour and all the starches (arrowroot, potato etc) are fine for thickening a sauce or lightly breading meats but are not to be used to create "baked goods".

Day 1...So far so good :)  

I made a delicious frittata with sausage, spinach, mushrooms, onion and peppers.  Ate with a side of guacamole.

I knew I would be on the road this morning and lunch would be late so I packed a small tangerine and a handful of cashews.

I wasn't very hungry for lunch, so I had mixed greens with 2 hard boiled eggs and tossed in TesseMae's Lemon Garlic dressing.

http://www.tessemaes.com/collections/all

Wine will be my biggest challenge! LOL...I plan on 30 minutes on the treadmill this evening.

My Hubby, son and I are having dinner with friends at a restaurant so my will power will be tested early on in this process :) 

Fingers crossed!  I plan on getting a steak with baked sweet potato and a salad to begin (bringing my own dressing).  I have found that eating the salad while others enjoy appetizers keeps me from temptation.  

A newbie here.

I'm Amy. 31 wife and mother to 5 (11g, 6g, 4b, 8 month old twin boys). I did Paleo before my boys were all born. Just like then, my husband thinks I'm crazy! I'm in for the Whole30--it ends nicely with a trip to Texas to visit family. I'm hoping to get a handle on my energy deficit and just all around feel healthier!

Hail from NY - not the city but Long Beach, on the southernmost bit, a barrier island. Home to many commuters. And beach lovers.  

I had a good day one. My SO made an omelette this morning with ghee and veggies. I did not eat unitl noon ish because I did not get up til 10 am after a night of revelry. Actually we baby sat for the two grandsons until their parents came home from the revelry. 

For dinner I have made cracklin chicken from the nomnom paleo book and a version of the carrot thai soup as well.( I did not have leeks so I used a bit of onion).

I also made the salmon cakes from the whole 30 book and those will be for tomorrow. As long as I can keep a day ahead and plan a few days in advance I will be ok. 

I like to cook and that is one of the reasons I like this. There are so many awesome resources. I love the NomNompaleo book and app and  the Well fed books as well as the Whole 30 book. No reason to be bored. 

Happy New Year!  Started today, this is my first Whole30.  I've been gluten free and 95% grain free (just a little rice here and there) since 2012.  But oh, dairy...how I love thee.  And stevia...I should buy stock in it.  For me, this Whole30 will also be about eliminating all nuts and seeds (including coconut) as I have a persistent viral infection that has gotten worse since going paleo. As a hardcore foodie, I'm most nervous about eliminating stuff that brings a creamy texture to foods (like coconut milk and cream) and not having the stevia hit in my morning coffee.  I drank coffee black with cinnamon this morning and I was less than thrilled about it. On the flip side, I will be cutting down on my coffee intake for sure, so there's a silver lining.  And I know that there are PLENTY of delicious and satisfying Whole30 recipes for foodies!  I am very excited to be on this adventure, and hoping to see my sleep, energy, and brain fog issues improve. 

Congrats on a successful first day everyone! I love reading though this thread - lots of great ideas and encouraging posts! MeredithK - you made me laugh with the whole comment about snapping at your husband because he picked at the chicken. I just did the same thing to my husband when he dared to stir my basic chili. Ha! He gave me a look like I was crazy, threw his hands up, and slowly backed away from the stove. I'm obviously a little on edge myself, but I remember this was what happened during my first W30. My emotions settled out quickly after that and honestly it is the most balanced I have felt emotionally in years. I think it was because I stopped experiencing the sugar crashes after drinking sugary coffee and overdoing it on processed carbs.

I think my biggest challenge over the next few days will be resisting the glass of wine or beer that I tend to treat myself to at night after the kids have gone to bed. I picked up some natural calm at whole foods today and will sip on that tonight before bed tonight. Not exactly the same thing, but I figured it was worth a try. 

Made it through Day 1 :) 

M1: two-egg scramble using coconut oil with cremini mushrooms, spinach, zucchini, and spices (paprika, sea salt, cayenne pepper). 1/2 an avocado on the side and some green grapes. I'm realizing that I don't much like the taste of coconut oil with my eggs...in other stuff, it seems fine.

M2: smoked salmon, green olives, bell peppers, pepperoncini peppers, and pistachios.

M3: elk steak, steamed carrots and broccoli. Marinade for the elk steak - olive oil, apple cider vinegar, lemon juice (squeezed), coconut aminos, onion powder, black pepper, garlic powder, and chipotle powder. I finally got to try out my coconut aminos! Yay!

For drinks I've had sparkling water with lemon (we have a soda stream) and tea. I have pics on my Instagram page if anyone uses that! @green_hm

Hope everyone had a good first day as well :) 

1 More day to go! (for most of us)

I thought I would share my favorite whole30 compliant things that may be helpful. I would love for anyone else to share too!

Snacks - Barefoot Provisions has a ton of compliant snacks. My absolute favorite is the Good brand Coconut Chips. The Mango Macadamia Adventure snack mix is yummy too. http://barefootprovisions.com/collections/whole30?page=3

Watch the snacks. Focus instead on creating meals of protein, veg and fat that satiate you for 4-5 hours. If you get genuinely hungry between meals, have a mini-meal of protein, veg and fat.

Starting today, as well. 1 successful Whole30 in my past and a few failed attempts since. My physical and emotional health are much better when I eat this way. Day 1 is going great. Eggs, sugar free bacon and cubed sweet potatoes with bell peppers and onions for breakfast.....cooked in a bit of the rendered bacon grease. Mmmmmm. Good stuff. Chicken and veggies for lunch. Will cook a batch of ground pork and sweet potato hash this afternoon. 1 key for me is to divide my cooking results in to portions before storing them in the fridge or freezer. Sparkling water and remembering to breathe and be present keep my cravings manageable. I wish you all well on this journey. Happy New Year.

I'll actually be starting on 12/31 because that's my first day off of a 4 day weekend, and i would like to get the carb flu out of the way as best I can before I have to go back to work. I've been really bad these last few months and I really need to get back on track. I'll be doing a modified AIP whole30, as I react to Nightshades and some nuts and seeds. will there be an official FB group as well like there was last year?

Vian, I've been avoiding nightshades and nuts as well, and also leafy greens and tea because of a serious nickel allergy. Let me know how it goes for you.

Molly

I'm starting today! This will be my third whole 30 since October. First one was hugely successful with a 14 pound weight loss, mood swings disappeared, no cravings, and felt energetic and happy. Second time was also good, but no weight loss which was disappointing. Then I went completely off the rails between Thanksgiving and Christmas. I want to feel good again, so I'm getting back on track.

I'm 53, live in Alaska. I have a bunch of teenage boys and a wonderfully supportive husband. Looking forward to the comments from you all.

Archived