CALLING ALL JANUARY 1ST WHOLE30ERS!

found.in.nature

Starting Day 2 off feeling very motivated! I struggled with sleep last night, but insomnia has been a problem off and on for me for years. I know that my sleep greatly improved during my first W30 and I am hoping to see the same benefit sooner than later. I tried using some magnesium oil last night before bed, but it didn't seem to do much. I also have my natural calm sitting here on the counter, but I've read mixed reviews online and now I'm a little nervous to try it. Some people have reported restless sleep, feeling groggy in the morning, and issues with #2. If any of you have used it/currently use it, I would love to hear some feedback. 

Made a big family breakfast of scrambled eggs, leftover perfect sausage, apples and clementines, avocado. The kids ate well and didn't even ask for cereal or toast. I was also impressed last night when my oldest gobbled down his entire bowl of the simple chili recipe (I added potato for more carbs). The kid is a picky eater and would be happy to eat pizza overnight for dinner, so this was a real win.  

Have a great day everyone!

• Replies 814
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm April from Oklahoma.  I have done a Whole 60 before and loved the feeling of no cravings.  Otherwise a have a weakness for wine and dessert.  I am a distance cyclist, so usually I can get away with it without weight gain.  Of course the other health consequences are still there.  

Anyway, I got a divorce last August and the stress derailed my eating habits.  I am ready to take that part of my life back.  I loved the Wholesome #32 email about Goal Sheilding that was sent out yesterday.  I also saw a link to an article about why the 2d Whole 30 can be harder, that was so helpful to prepare for a different W30 experience this time.

I am making lists of benefits of W30, and what I hate about unhealthy eating, and lists of tools available to help.  I plan to choose to read and focus on that when things get rough.  I also think it is important to take advantage of opportunity and momentum.  January is a powerful time for a reset.  There is so much group momentum going on now that is not available to this extent at other times of year.

Hey 4 Paris, I love Paris and I love wine.  I saw the thread you started and it made me smile.  

April

Bizzaro day 1. Started out with a great M1 and a lovely, albeit freezing cold hike. Ran some errands. Devastated when Whole Foods was out of my sugar free bacon. Got home to water pouring out of my dishwasher and at least an inch of water thoughtout the kitchen. Seriously considered giving in and going to the corner bar for cheeseburger and a beer.

Instead, I had a brief cry, got on the forum and read about everyone else's day one success. Then cleaned up and ate some leftover chili.

Feeling frustrated that my resolve was tested so early. But also very good that I stuck to my guns.

Already have another delicious M1 under my belt today. And about to head out for a run.

Keep up the good work everyone :)

I completed day successfully! My daughter invited my husband and I over for supper, I read the labels on products she used and ate only the food items that I could. It was not easy to pass up dessert because I love sweets. But I did. Looking forward to day 2 today! Enjoy reading the other posts, keeps me motivated! Thank you all!

Day 2

Day 1 went good with a few hunger pangs but all in all no problem.

Day 2.... Work up with a headache, feeling lousy and a little groggy. Good thing I premade my breakfast.

Hope everyone's Day 2 starts off better than mine!

Hey there! I'm Stef, from Phoenix, AZ. I'm a newbie and starting on January 4th. I already started cutting back on sweeteners so I can hopefully get over the headache and sluggish feeling when I go back to work in Monday.

My pantry and fridge are cleaned out and almost stocked. Prepping foods tomorrow. Looking forward to getting started.

Day 1 down and Day 2 already on it's way!  

Everything's going pretty well but I have been noticing that I feel a little bit nauseous. It really started late yesterday afternoon/evening and it's continued into today.  

I'm wondering if it's because my body was so used to having heavy carbs and processed foods that it's looking for them now. I feel like I've been eating enough and have made sure to include starchy carbs and fat but I can't seem to shake this feeling.

Wondering if anyone else is feeling like this? Or has some perspective to share?

Everything's going pretty well but I have been noticing that I feel a little bit nauseous. It really started late yesterday afternoon/evening and it's continued into today.  

I'm wondering if it's because my body was so used to having heavy carbs and processed foods that it's looking for them now. I feel like I've been eating enough and have made sure to include starchy carbs and fat but I can't seem to shake this feeling.

Wondering if anyone else is feeling like this? Or has some perspective to share?

Yes, generally we find if you ate lots of refined carbs and processed foods pre-Whole30, the worse you feel in the early part of your Whole30.

Drink lots of water - we recommend 1/2 an ounce of water per pound of body weight, daily - be gentle with yourself, follow the meal template, and hang in there: this too shall pass.

Hi there. I’m a 38-year-old married Canadian mother of two nine-year-old twins, trying this for the first time, starting Jan 4. Posting here, nervously, to commit and hold myself accountable.

Formerly fit, slim, and over past ten years have slowly gained 15-20 pounds with poor eating habits, sporadic exercise, pretty sedentary lifestyle. No major health issues, thankfully, but just a creeping deterioration in how I feel overall and a seeming myriad of minor complaints that I worry signal worsening health. I’m basically starting to stare down 40 and really not liking what I see in that future mirror. Not just how that person looks, but who that person IS.

Obviously I’d love to feel better and lose weight by the end, but I have a bigger goal: just to actually complete the challenge.

The “this is not hard” pep talk resonated, and I understand, yet at the same time I feel, “but… this IS hard, for me.” Indeed, at this point, it seems so hard as to be completely impossible. And saying that makes me feel really wussy, and self-indulgent, and disappointed in myself.

That’s my greatest fear, here at day -2. I’ll fail, again, like I do at every goal I ever set… I’ll give up… I’ll let myself down again. The truth is, I don’t even believe I can do this. And somehow in my mind, it’s like, if I could do this, this one thing, this thing which maybe isn’t even hard for most people but is really really hard for me, then I’d know I can actually do things I want to do. For the first time in a really long time. If I could do this I think maybe I could do anything. Be anything. Change everything.

So all I ask is total psychological transformation. Can you do that for me, Whole30? ; )

Well - what a lousy night. Day 1 probably ended with too little food at supper, even though I felt stuffed right after, and I was hungry and restless all night. Day 2 hangover, yep.

But what a lovely big breakfast! I have not enjoyed breakfast that much in ages. Luckily I did not scoff at the idea of zucchini ginger soup with breakfast, and I had made some ahead and had it warmed up before the coffee was even started. I read this stuff a few days ago and thank Melissa Joulwan for her great resources at http://meljoulwan.com/2016/01/01/whole30-resources-roundup-3/ Slurping that lovely green stuff got me through making some kind of mishmash omelette with lots of leftover veggies. Then coffee - fortunately I have always been a black coffee, espresso allongé drinker. 

My head does not feel great. Even though I have eaten quite well over the past couple of years (keeping off a 35 pound loss!), the control has been slipping and I know now by this reaction that it has slipped a lot! Curse those lovely red wines I discovered lately...

It's 10:30 am. Too early for a nap???

• Moderators

Hi there. I’m a 38-year-old married Canadian mother of two nine-year-old twins, trying this for the first time, starting Jan 4. Posting here, nervously, to commit and hold myself accountable.

Formerly fit, slim, and over past ten years have slowly gained 15-20 pounds with poor eating habits, sporadic exercise, pretty sedentary lifestyle. No major health issues, thankfully, but just a creeping deterioration in how I feel overall and a seeming myriad of minor complaints that I worry signal worsening health. I’m basically starting to stare down 40 and really not liking what I see in that future mirror. Not just how that person looks, but who that person IS.

Obviously I’d love to feel better and lose weight by the end, but I have a bigger goal: just to actually complete the challenge.

The “this is not hard” pep talk resonated, and I understand, yet at the same time I feel, “but… this IS hard, for me.” Indeed, at this point, it seems so hard as to be completely impossible. And saying that makes me feel really wussy, and self-indulgent, and disappointed in myself.

That’s my greatest fear, here at day -2. I’ll fail, again, like I do at every goal I ever set… I’ll give up… I’ll let myself down again. The truth is, I don’t even believe I can do this. And somehow in my mind, it’s like, if I could do this, this one thing, this thing which maybe isn’t even hard for most people but is really really hard for me, then I’d know I can actually do things I want to do. For the first time in a really long time. If I could do this I think maybe I could do anything. Be anything. Change everything.

So all I ask is total psychological transformation. Can you do that for me, Whole30? ; )

Hello darling!!

Here's the thing... this actually IS hard... Melissa admitted it in the new book and in a couple of blog posts but the jist is that it is hard. Changing your relationship with food, changing your habits in a world that is completely set up for choosing the easiest most convenient thing is hard. Not relying on our old friend sugar or pasta or bread or WINE for company, solace, comfort... all hard. Really hard. But you can do it! You're a strong, vibrant and resilient woman and you certainly can do this! Whole 30 will change your psychology around food and food routines if you let it! If 30 days seems daunting... if TWO days seems daunting then just go at it day to day and even meal to meal. Read all the links in my signature below and then go back and read the meal template a few more times. Build all your meals to the template to last you 4-5 hours and you'll be great! Use spices! This food does NOT have to be boring or bland and like I read on here today, if you're looking forward to your next meal, then you won't be missing what you aren't having.

Seriously girl, you can do it! I'm going to nominate, second and move myself to your biggest cheerleader and follow your journey with my pompoms!!!

Started today! (Jan 2) because spent time celebrating yesterday. So far so good!

I'm Christine and I am from Ontario, Canada. Not ashamed to say that the main reason why I started this is to lose weight. But looking forward to the other health benefits (clearer skin, etc) that I hear so much about!

I have a question about coconut milk in a carton! It's "So Delicious" brand, unsweetened coconut milk. The ingredients are: Organic coconut milk (water, organic coconut cream), calcium phosphate, magnesium phosphate, organic guar gum, xanthan gum, vitamin a acetate, vitamin d-2, l-selenomethionine (selenium), zinc oxide, folic acid, vitamin b-12.

I make smoothies as a mid-morning snack everyday (I'm a teacher, so I need something easy that doesn't require chewing between my 6 am breakfast and 12:45 lunch) and usually I use almond milk, but the brand I use isn't compliant. I plan to make my own almond milk as much as possible, but it would be nice to have a store-bought alternative for the times when I haven't been able to make the almond milk. Is the above ingredient list acceptable on the Whole 30?

I have a question about coconut milk in a carton! It's "So Delicious" brand, unsweetened coconut milk. The ingredients are: Organic coconut milk (water, organic coconut cream), calcium phosphate, magnesium phosphate, organic guar gum, xanthan gum, vitamin a acetate, vitamin d-2, l-selenomethionine (selenium), zinc oxide, folic acid, vitamin b-12.

I make smoothies as a mid-morning snack everyday (I'm a teacher, so I need something easy that doesn't require chewing between my 6 am breakfast and 12:45 lunch) and usually I use almond milk, but the brand I use isn't compliant. I plan to make my own almond milk as much as possible, but it would be nice to have a store-bought alternative for the times when I haven't been able to make the almond milk. Is the above ingredient list acceptable on the Whole 30?

The ingredients are technically compliant, but they're not the best choice.

Also, smoothies are discouraged on a Whole30, as chewing food is more satiating than drinking food.  I'm not trying to be argumentative, but I don't understand why you couldn't have a snack of protein, veg and fat that requires chewing at mid-morning?  

Hey all

I am a dedicated W30 follower that is also doing a W30 that started yesterday (Jan 1, 2016).  I have done 8 previous W30 (or more than 30) in the past and strongly feel that this reset process is a life-saver.  I spent the last 2 months not eating W30 and need to return to some structure and "rules".  I will be by the forum to "check in" regularly and share my thoughts along the way....

Cheers

DJ

Day 2 and I want chocolate and Diet Coke in the worst way. My brain is telling me "This isn't necessary. Why are you torturing yourself? My SIL bought me a Cadbury Creme Egg last night. It is always her habit to buy me one when she starts seeing them. I felt like it was my own personal Ring.

Precious.....my precious. Give us the Precious!

I resisted, though it did end up coming home with me, at her insistence.

Day 2 and I want chocolate and Diet Coke in the worst way. My brain is telling me "This isn't necessary. Why are you torturing yourself? My SIL bought me a Cadbury Creme Egg last night. It is always her habit to buy me one when she starts seeing them. I felt like it was my own personal Ring.

Precious.....my precious. Give us the Precious!

I resisted, though it did end up coming home with me, at her insistence.

Stay strong & know that as far as cravings are concerned fat is your friend  ;) 

If you have a craving that won't pass with a distraction technique (like a glass of water, walk in fresh air, running a bath etc) try a spoonful of coconut oil or a few olives.

In the early days especially be sure to include at least a fist sized serving of starchy veg to help with the transition from the old diet to the new, and be sure you are drinking the recommended half an ounce of water per pound of body weight, daily.

This too shall pass!

Starting my Whole30 today with a raging sinus infection. I'm a 31 y/o female with frequent sinus infections, allergies, eczema, random joint pain, and fatigue. I've done 2 successful Whole30's in the past, but always fell off the wagon pretty hard after ending. I really need a reset to begin 2016 right. I'm thinking about extending my time past 30 days, but we'll see how I feel at the end.

Wow, what a great group (and a long thread! -- I started reading it last night but had to finish this morning).

I'm in for my second Whole 30 (in between first one and this one, I had a couple of false starts and a week or two here or there, so I'm excited to be all in this time).

I live in the Seattle area, and have two kids and a husband with type 1 diabetes. While he is not doing Whole 30, I'm hoping some of the foods I cook help keep his blood sugars level!

I know that weight loss is not what we are supposed to focus on, but I am definitely looking forward to all my clothes fitting better and eating less junk. My weigh-in and measurements before day 1 were saddening. I'm worried about giving up wine, and I am not able to clean out our pantry/fridge so I am just trying to focus on keeping lots of options I can eat so that I can grab something allowed instead of a piece of chocolate, etc.

Looking forward to sleeping better and hoping I can gradually increase my exercise as I had sadly been doing pretty much nothing for months.

I had a good day 1, although I did notice I accidentally bought a Tessamaes dressing that is not compliant, so I will have to add one more day at the end to make it technically 30 days (I bought Green Goddess dressing, which has soy). For dinner I made fish cakes and also the silky gingered zucchini soup from Melissa Joulwan. They were both yummy!

Best wishes to everyone!

Hi Leeleego, 

I think you nailed it when you said "if I could do this, I think maybe I could do anything. Be anything. Change everything".

Eating well, feeling good about yourself, having confidence in yourself, trusting yourself, loving your life and being a strong role model for your twins isn't just about what you could or should do, it's about what you deserve-it's your right-you get out there and claim it girlfriend!!! You WILL do this and you CAN do this and though I'm sure there will be doubts that creep in for all of us and maybe some lessons learned, so what? This is what it is about! Developing a deeper understanding of who and what we are and why we do the things we do but also changing mindsets and acknowledging our worth and value in even attempting such a radical shift in the first place. We have all had periods of our lives where we weren't particularly satisfied but the fact is you have recognised that in yourself (a lot of people don't!) and are seeking changes. Good on you-you should be proud of yourself.

I've only done one W30 in the past but I did find a strategy I used for it (and in fact one I use in day to day life anyway)  was when those niggling doubting negative thoughts came creeping in I just reframed it to a positive. As far as psychological transformation, that's where it starts my friend. You may believe the last ten years has been "a creeping deterioration" in how you feel about yourself but the fact is, it has brought you to this point and your honesty and insight into feeling dissatisfied is the start of that transformation. Trust yourself and the fact you know what's best for you and that you DESERVE what is best as do your kids and family!! I'll be cheering you on as you pass the finish line too.  :)

I started my second Whole 30 yesterday.  I did my first mid-October to mid-November, and it was awesome.  I have never felt so good.  I continued to stay away from grains, but reincorporated my half and half for my coffee and the holidays got me with cocktails and all the sweet treats.  I have a really awful sugar dragon.  :( Despite staying true to the Whole 30 eating style for the most part, my energy dipped back down, I had breakouts and my itchy skin returned.  What confuses me is that I know how good I can feel- why would I choose to put something in my mouth that takes me down that dark road?  So frustrating!

Something I noticed yesterday upon starting again is how I don't feel restrained by this eating style.  On the contrary, it frees me from making decisions between eating an off-plan food or not.  My daughter gave me one of her Lindor truffles, and I said thank you and set it aside.  No agonizing about whether or not to unwrap it and eat it.  

This morning I woke up at 5:00 with the headache, but I am already feeling better.  Hoping it doesn't take me several days to feel that tiger blood that I've been missing like crazy. :)

As your body detoxes and gets rid of chemicals and inflammation, it can make you very thirsty. Our recommendation is to drink 1/2oz of water per pound of body weight every day... be sure to do this consistently throughout the day and don't back load the water at the end of the day just to get it in... Also, it's been shown that thirst can often be mistaken for hunger so maybe do the water first and if you're still hungry enough to eat something bland like steamed fish and greens, then go for that mini-meal!

That would explain why I needed to down 4 good size glasses of lemon water while out at lunch!!! I have felt thirsty all day

That would explain why I needed to down 4 good size glasses of lemon water while out at lunch!!! I have felt thirsty all day

It may sound counter productive but be sure you are also salting your food. By cutting out the processed foods you are cutting yuor sodium intake by around 75% & you need to be replacing what your body excretes naturally.

Archived