CALLING ALL JANUARY 1ST WHOLE30ERS!

found.in.nature

It may sound counter productive but be sure you are also salting your food. By cutting out the processed foods you are cutting yuor sodium intake by around 75% & you need to be replacing what your body excretes naturally.

Good to know! Luckily, I've never shied away from salt and so I do use it in cooking and put it on things like eggs, meat, sometimes veggies (like sweet potato or squash). Thanks for the tip :)

• Replies 814
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Made it through Day 2! No cravings per say so far - for me 'out of sight, out of mind' really works! I am having some pretty bad aches in my back/tension, and headaches though. Drinking lots of water! There's definitely been some shortness with/snapping at my husband as well...lol. Oh, and it's only 5pm (and I slept in until 10am) and I'd like to go to bed now. I feel pretty tired. I feel like I need alone time - just time where I don't need to be "on" or entertaining anyone/participating in a conversation. I've noticed that my social reserves are down today. I read somewhere that the second time you do a Whole30 it's harder? I remember during my first Whole30 thinking that I wasn't really feeling the way it was outlined in the timeline...but this time, I feel like I'm pretty on par with it lol!

M1:  Cooking with coconut oil, made a zucchini and cremini mushroom hash with 2 poached eggs (s&p) on top, two compliant sausages, and half an avocado. 

M2: I actually went out for lunch with some friends today! Moxie's has a lot of good options and they are always cool with you asking about the ingredients and asking for substitutions or changing things up. I had the "lettuce wrapped burger" - which was a burger with onion, tomato, pickle, between two halves of an iceberg lettuce. I asked for no sauce, but some Dijon mustard on the side (since the meat tends to be a little dry). For the side I had broccoli and butternut squash. I asked them to avoid dairy - so they didn't cook using any butter. They were very accommodating! I also had 4 big glasses of lemon water. I think the server thought I was a little crazy since no one else had a refill of their water...haha

M3: Spaghetti squash with pumpkin marinara sauce - spaghetti squash with a pumpkin meat sauce that has prosciutto, onion, garlic, ground beef, pumpkin, tomato paste, and spices (fresh basil, cumin, chili powder, smoked paprika, cayenne pepper, cinnamon, nutmeg, salt, and pepper). 

I find evenings are the hardest. Last night my hubby had popcorn while we were watching a movie, so I had a honeycrisp apple with cinnamon and some almond butter. I'm going to do my best not to have a snack tonight...but it did help me to not want his popcorn ;)

M2: I actually went out for lunch with some friends today! Moxie's has a lot of good options and they are always cool with you asking about the ingredients and asking for substitutions or changing things up. I had the "lettuce wrapped burger" - which was a burger with onion, tomato, pickle, between two halves of an iceberg lettuce. I asked for no sauce, but some Dijon mustard on the side (since the meat tends to be a little dry). For the side I had broccoli and butternut squash. I asked them to avoid dairy - so they didn't cook using any butter. They were very accommodating! I also had 4 big glasses of lemon water.

Did you confirm whether the pickle and Dijon mustard were compliant? It's tricky to find pickles packaged in compliant ingredients and Dijon without white wine. Also, avoiding dairy doesn't cover all cooking oils: did you ask what cooking fat they used?

Day 2 done. Feeling very tired and headachey. Will do some arm exercises tonight and some reading before calling it a night.

M1: shredded apple and sweet potato fried in coconut oil with scrambled eggs

M2: individual meat loaf topped with salsa, baked potato with clarified butter

M3: turkey breast, mashed potatoes and green beans.

Tomorrow going to the store to get some salad makings for the week. Will be making turkey broth from the turkey carcass and some ranch dressing for the week.

Day 2 coming to a close. It really helps to read all the other posts here. I feel like there is this special connection and support going on. It's a good feeling and I thank you all for your strength as it passes on to each of us.

Day 2 is done, without having a Diet Coke or chocolate despite incredibly strong, can feel it in my mouth cravings.

M1: 3 eggs, fried in coconut oil, shredded sweet potato (definitely prefer it more whole, I discovered), porkitos (Nom Nom Paleo), Apple with almond butter

M2: Started with a salad topped with hard piled egg but it really wasn't doing it for me so I pulled out compliant chicken sausage and okra, then sautéed those together.

M3: Chili dogs (no bun, using Applegate turkey dogs-I sliced the dog in half and topped it with chili and lettuce).

At one point during the day I was snacky, so I had a handful of blueberries and 2 cherries.

Now I'm sitting in bed with chammomile tea before bed. I am so sleepy!

Day 3 here and I'm feeling it, I am craving junk food like you wouldn't believe, I'm not hungry but I want to eat, I want salty food and sweet food all at the same time. I think I'm going to cook some sweet potato for lunch to have with my left over lamb cutlets. I also had vivid dreams last night which I don't normally have and have had a lot of cramps in my legs I think it's from the caffeine withdrawal.

Day 1 almost done. Went pretty well except I was hungry early for dinner.

M1 - Eggs, Sweet potato hash browns, 1/4 cantelope

m2 - Salad w/chicken, pecans & Lemon garlic dressing

m3 - Pork Tenderloin, Roasted Veggies, applesauce

Had a few grapes late afternoon as I was pretty hungry. Feel pretty good so far!

Hi there, I'm another W30 newbie in Hamilton, Ontario!

I started yesterday and it was a tougher day than I thought - I don't eat a lot of "junk food" or sugar so I was expecting to coast through day 1 pretty easily. I felt really hungry most of the day, despite eating what I thought was a LOT lol (and yes, plenty of fats!!) Good news is, second day went way easier, not really any major hunger issues and I'm feeling pretty good :)

My major challenge will be that my hubby and 2 teenage sons are NOT interested in joining me in this adventure, so lots of non-compliant food in the house. I am determined to stick with the plan! Thankfully I am an awesome cook so I'm going to make myself some VERY tasty meals ;)

Hey Miemoo! Welcome!

Happy New Year. I love hearing what motivates everyone to participate in a whole30. Off the subject - my husband and I are planning a trip to Australia this year. We want to stay away from tourist and get a local experience. Any recommendations on what part of the country to explore and the best time of year to come? I know your seasons are opposite of ours (we live in the states).

Have fun on your first day of your Whole30! We've got this!

Hey! That's exciting about your trip to Oz. It's such a big country. Do you think you'll try and cover a lot of distance or get to know one or two states? If you love getting off the beaten track I totally recommend my region - Blue Mountains, NSW. It's world heritage national park - it's a very mountainous region so the valleys are amazing. It's cold enough to snow in the colder months so be prepared for that depending on what month you are travelling. Let me know what you have in mind and what activities you like doing and I can be a bit more specific. How is your Whole30 going?

• Moderators

Hey everyone!

Congrats on making it through Day 1 and 2!

Just a note for all of you as I've seen a theme here with regard to snacking.

If you feel hungry between meals, which is totally normal while you figure out how to put together a meal that will last you 4-5 hours, eating is fine, but we'd rather you eat a mini meal of at least two of the three macros (protein/carbs/fat) than fruits or nuts on their own. A few of you are saying that you have pretty strong sugar cravings and eating fruit on it's own is only going to amplify this and keep it going longer.

The litmus test for eating between meals is: if you think steamed white fish and steamed broccoli sounds like the most delicious thing you could imagine eating, then eat a mini meal. On the days you do eat between meals, follow that up the next day by increasing your meal size or playing around with your fats to work on getting 4-5 hours between meals.

Remember also that thirst is often masked as hunger and we recommend 1/2 oz of water per pound of body weight (daily!) so if you weigh around 100 pounds, you're drinking 50 oz of water...

Day 2 is in the books! Congrats to everyone for making it this far. I truly do love reading your posts. I try to check in a couple times a day and this thread helps keep me motivated to stay on track, so thank you for sharing.

I've been feeling really run down and low energy all day. I'm not sure if I'm coming down with something or if I'm just detoxing from all the crap. But the most important thing here is that I still stuck to the plan. I did have a craving in the early evening to have a glass of wine or beer, but I talked myself out of it pretty easily and now I'm sipping on sparkling water.

B: 1/2 leftover perfect sausage, scrambled eggs cooked in ghee, apple slices, a spoonful of guacamole, and coffee with coconut cream

L: leftover simple chili (added potatoes to the recipe in the book) topped with a spoonful of guacamole. Side of olives and baby carrots.

D: chicken apple sausage, red peppers and onions cooked in coconut oil, baked potato topped with ghee.

Overall, not too bad. I think I need to work on adding in some leafy greens this week. 

Just wanted to introduce myself too. I have started two whole30s before which taught me a lot about the program but this time around I'm going to make it the full 30 days. After quitting at 16 days, this is the first time I have hidden my scale, written down goals and taken measurements. I am much more committed!! I'm at home with a 9 month old which means that my routines are closely tied to his behavior but I also don't find myself in many situations that are extremely tempting. My failures in the past were related to working in a tiny office filled with candy and snacks. I have a little long list of emergency meals that I can prep and eat quickly! I live in Hoboken NJ and would love find more local people doing the challenge. Looking forward to continuing to read everyone's inspiring stories and cheering each other on to the finish line!! 2 days down, 28 to go!

Hi everyone - and Happy New Year!  

I'm in for this also.  Last April I started my 3rd or 4th W30, and stayed with it until December 23.  In the process I lost 30 lbs (8 months, 30 lbs - slow and steady).  Unfortunately, I fell face first into a plate of cookies on December 23.  

So, as of Jan 1 I'm up 7.5 lbs and fighting the sugar dragon, constant headaches, and achiness.  Doesn't take long at all to undo all the good does it?  I figure it's going to take at least 30 days to fix what I messed up the last week of the year.   :(

About me - I'm 48, married with a 14-yo son.  Highly stressful job.  But a good job - it's GREAT to have a job!  I am amazed at how much I am impacted by food.  Each time I do a Whole30 I learn more about how food impacts me.  

I already know that I can't handle dairy, sugar, or most grains.  I seem to do ok with rice, corn and beans but try to stay away from them anyway.  I also steer clear of soy.  

I am highly addicted to sugar - my sister was spot on when she said - if sugar was heroin, I'd be dead ... several times over. 

So, yesterday was the start of the rest of my life.  I know what I need to do...and I know what happens when I don't!!!  

Here's to great success for all of us!  I can't wait to get rid of the migraines, achiness, puffyness, and headaches - and to feel the tiger blood again!

Made it through Day 2 - wanted to be taking a nap all day. I'm so glad the book warned about this, or I really would have wondered what the heck was happening. I finally took a long walk in the snow, up a lot of hills and following animal tracks all through the woods, and then had a sauna before dinner. I feel much better now, and hope to have a better night's sleep than last night.

Eating was the easy part today, but I feel stuffed right up to the next meal time and then I'm really hungry. Seems to be one or the other with no in between. I feel like I am eating way too much, but I don't think I am. Drinking tons of water. 

Karenmcl - I'm with you about the husband and teenaged boy not joining in. Mine just roll their eyes, but at least they don't mind fixing their own food most of the time. They might even decide some of mine is actually good! 

I plan to use the sauna instead of drinking on the evenings I'm home (I often stay "in town" when working), and go to get a massage somewhere around day 10-11 when the timeline suggests we might hit a slump. Anyone else have some plans to share to help get through some tough moments?

Did you confirm whether the pickle and Dijon mustard were compliant? It's tricky to find pickles packaged in compliant ingredients and Dijon without white wine. Also, avoiding dairy doesn't cover all cooking oils: did you ask what cooking fat they used?

I did check on the mustard and from what the server said, it would be compliant (no white wine). I have some at home as well that doesn't have white wine in it. I remembered from the first time I did this. They told me they used olive oil. I didn't ask about the pickle, but I'm not restarting over a possibly non-compliant pickle. I'll keep that in mind though for next time. Thanks for the tips :)

Hi all!  Just finishing up Day 1 - January 2, 2016.  It's my second go-around  The first time quasi-successful, but I'm hoping this one will be even better.  I thinking getting involved in this forum will be helpful to me.  I love to read, research and "chat" about my undertakings.

Haven't had the time tonight to read all of the posts on this thread, but I'm going to!

Good luck to everyone. 

SQ

Day 2 down! It's harder doing a W30 in winter with few local vegs about. I found some ratatouille in my freezer and I'm thinking a nice pot of that can go a long way toward keeping my plate full of something really tasty.

What kind of veggies do you get locally this time of year? :)

I'm realizing that I don't much like the taste of coconut oil with my eggs...in other stuff, it seems fine.

I'm not a big fan of coconut oil with protein, tastes a bit sweet for me. I prefer olive oil :) The one exception is in thai curries, where I add loads of coconut anyway.

I also had vivid dreams last night which I don't normally have and have had a lot of cramps in my legs I think it's from the caffeine withdrawal.

The dreams are normal, as are the cramps. Usually leg cramps are a lack of magnesium or sodium. I take Blackmore's MagMin magnesium, works a treat :)

Another day down, although didn't have a great night's sleep, being wide awake at 3am and not able to go back to sleep-not sure what that was about? Am an early riser anyway so went for a walk at 6am for an hour and came home to make a quickie breakfast of eggs, ham and some left over greens from yesterday used ghee as my fat choice, also made myself a BP coffee (which was awesome and soooo much better than the flaccid nasty black coffee I was drinking and actually, not too much different from the normal butter BP coffee I have!). Lunch I made some salmon patties and a salad and used some of the avocado salsa I made the night before for my salmon fillet, thankfully my 8 year old happily tucked into that as well as she also did for my "spag bol" for dinner which was essentially a tomato/mince/and, as many vege as I could successfully disguise before she cottoned onto the fact I was sneaking so much vege in-think I counted about 7 -lol! I gave the daughter some pasta with it (she's gluten intolerant anyway so was rice pasta) and I ate mine with some cauliflower rice. The key difference between yesterday and today was more fat added to the diet and I have to say I was a lot more sated as a result, no snacking today although I did have a few raspberries only because they are in season and are so delicious! 

But all up a good day. I particularly enjoyed the absence of alcohol's presence during my weekend days and being able to spend some quality time with the kids without being a grumpy headachy pain in the arse. My diet and my partner's is predominantly paleo/primal anyway (his with the auto immune protocol) so it is not such a big dietary shift for me but the alcohol thing has definitely become a bit more of a dominant presence in my life and I'm quite pleased to have a rest from it and a good old think about whether that rest might become a more permanent thing for me. The capacity to critically think/reflect on one's practices/beliefs/behaviours is definitely (for me anyway) the best thing about the W30 and why it is so much more than being just about food. Hope everyone else is doing well! 

Archived