CALLING ALL JANUARY 1ST WHOLE30ERS!

found.in.nature

Day 3 here and I'm feeling it, I am craving junk food like you wouldn't believe, I'm not hungry but I want to eat, I want salty food and sweet food all at the same time. I think I'm going to cook some sweet potato for lunch to have with my left over lamb cutlets. I also had vivid dreams last night which I don't normally have and have had a lot of cramps in my legs I think it's from the caffeine withdrawal.

For the cravings eat fat. Up the fat content in your meals & if a craving strikes that WON'T pass with some kind of distraction technique try a spoonfulof coconut oil, or a handful of olives.

Just be careful not to prop up those cravings with fruit or sweet veg.... Fat is most definitely your friend here  ;)

• Replies 814
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi JANUARY 1st WHOLE30ERS!

I was introduced to the Whole 30 by my dear friend Gloria Davila, who was bragging about a good friend of hers, Ben Soto.

After talking with Ben in December about the WHOLE30, I decided it was for me.  I bought the WHOLE30, started to plan and began my first 30 JANUARY 1!.  I am so excited about this because I know this is not a New Year's Resolution that will be abandoned.  With the support I will be getting, I can accomplish this WHOLE 30.  Thanks so much for this forum and support.  Luci Juarez

Start of Day 3 here! Yesterday was really tough. I woke up feeling like I had a hangover and had zero energy all day. I even threw up, but I know this isn't "normal" part of W30. I'm not sure why that happened. 

Yesterday: M1-spinach fritatta (leftover), M2: Trader Joe complaint chicken lime burger w some guacamole. Fruit.  M3: baked chicken breast & roasted potatoes. Salad w complaint dressing my husband made! 

Today I had two hard boiled eggs for breakfast & fruit. Lunch is compliant tuna salad & dinner flounder w roasted veggies. Hope this is ok. 

Another moderator suggested to me to salt my food yesterday and I felt like it helped. I was feeling better by end of the day and this morning my headache isn't as bad.  I'm trying to drink a lot of water. Good luck to everyone! 

I'm not a big fan of coconut oil with protein, tastes a bit sweet for me. I prefer olive oil :) The one exception is in thai curries, where I add loads of coconut anyway.

I love it with shrimp. I use it if a recipe says to and it usually goes well. For me I don't find it sweet, but the flavour with eggs tastes 'off'. I do use olive oil a lot more often :)

Day 3

Well Day 2 was a lot tougher than Day 1 .... Today I did not wake up with a headache! So that is a good sign.

I was a lot hungrier on Day 2 so I had another egg this morning for breakfast, was having only two, had three this morning.

I am off to hot yoga....... Went cross country skiing yesterday for the first time in over thirty years..... Let's say I need practice.

I have made ghee..... What does everyone use it for?

I survived two previous Whole30 without it, so just some ideas on what to use it for.

Good luck everyone on Day 3 !

Happy New Year to everyone. Whew, I just read through the entire fabulous thread! I started my 2nd Whole30 on Jan 2. My first Whole30 I did over the summer and had such great results that I knew I need to get back on track with healthy eating (and drinking no more wine) after the holidays. I tried to keep the healthy eating up after my first W30, but slipped up at Halloween and didn't try to hard after that. So that resulted in 5 lb weight gain from the 17 I had lost. Anyhow, I am really looking forward to the great sleep, lessened allergy symptoms and feeling great overall, that I got the first time around.

My stats: 42yo woman

living in San Jose, CA with supportive husband and two silly dogs

have horrible allergies and bad insomnia (I think the wine/sugar could be the cause)

love to cook, sew, knit and crochet

need to like to exercise more

Hello everyone!

Like others have said, day two was rough! I was tired and headachy all day. But one of the reasons I wanted to start on the 1st was so that I didn't have to deal with these days and work at the same time. So, I curled up on the couch, drank a ton of water and ate yummy food. Honestly, feeling so crappy really reinforces my reasons for doing this, so it's motivating in a weird way.

So far, today feels better, so I'm going to venture out for a hike or walk. I hope everyone is hanging in there!

Day 3 for me.  I got so sick of the unhealthy food I was eating that the first two days have been a relief.  Last night I made the roasted pork with butternut squash and kale out of the W30 Book.  We added an extra squeeze of fresh lime, green onion and avocado on top.  It was great.  

Book quotes of the day: W30 preface p vii, viii:  

"It's a monumental transformation in how you think about food, your body, your life, and what you want out of the time you have left on this earth."   

"Improving your sleep, energy levels, mood, attention span, body composition, motivation, self confidence, self-efficacy, and quality of like starts by changing the food you put on your plate."

My challenge today is that I am going on a 50 mile bike ride with my team at about 20 mph average.  I am having a sweet potato as part of my pre-ride meal, and taking a Larabar with me.  I'm hoping I'll have enough snap in my legs without a sports gel.

April

Sundys are going to be hard. This was my snacking day while watching sports. Really really want something just because. May have to go take a walk. Had fruit and homemade sausage for breakfast and some vegetable soup with turkey for lunch. Not sure about dinner. Creating a lot of leftovers so probably will be something that I have in the fridge. Ordered some mayo and ranch dressing from Tesse Mae's today. Anxiously awaiting them.

What kind of veggies do you get locally this time of year? :)

Mushrooms, cold storage vegs like carrots, parsnips, turnips, onions. I have a friend who has a little greenhouse who occasionally has a few tomatoes and lettuce to spare. There's a winter farmers market about an hour away that I can sometimes get to: cabbage, beets,various greens (wish I liked greens more!). Sometimes there's a surprise appearance of some green beans, summer squash and cucumbers.

Most of our vegs travel from warm places so I have to rely more on frozen. They're ok (and I I know I should be grateful for them) but they just aren't as good.

Day 3

Well Day 2 was a lot tougher than Day 1 .... Today I did not wake up with a headache! So that is a good sign.

I was a lot hungrier on Day 2 so I had another egg this morning for breakfast, was having only two, had three this morning.

I am off to hot yoga....... Went cross country skiing yesterday for the first time in over thirty years..... Let's say I need practice.

I survived two previous Whole30 without it, so just some ideas on what to use it for.

Good luck everyone on Day 3 !

Ahhh. Gheeeee. It is very good for cooking eggs, sauteed veggies, just putting on anything you would like butter on, cooking beautiful sauces -- I have not eaten butter in years, but it is definitely growing on me! I don't like it for some things, but it is lovely to cook with. 

Day 3! Started better than day 2, after a colossal sleep. I have not slept that long or that late in ages. It has kind of messed up mealtimes for the day, with starting only at 10:00 am, but lunch was small. I still feel very full all the time, and have to make myself eat (except for meal 1). I hope that feeling passes. it is very unpleasant.  Drinking lots of water makes it worse, it seems. Still tired, but better than yesterday. 

Had a huge toboggan pull today - in winter, it is almost a 1 km walk (1/2 mile) up a steep hill between the car and the house. Groceries + toboggan + somewhat sticky snow today = OOF! It felt good, but a more leisurely walk later was far more pleasant. We're supposed to go into deep freeze tonight, which makes the snow slipperier, which will be wonderful. 

I have to go back to work this week, which means spending a few days in a small apartment in Montreal, and making sure the kitchen there is stocked with good stuff. I guess that stuff has to go down the hill on the toboggan tomorrow!  I have lots of meals all prepared in the freezer...

Thanks for being there - it is great to read everyone's posts and progress.

Day 3 is proving to be a rough one. I haven't slept well the past several nights for various reasons (awake until almost 2 last night, then up at 7 because kiddos) and I am feeling the drain. Plus I have a headache that hasn't quit after coffee, extra water, and Tylenol. I'm going to take a nap with my preschooler when he goes down for one, and hopefully that'll perk me up. Good thing it's a low-key Sunday, and I started this on a three-day weekend! 

I love it most on chicken and chicken wings, it adds a little something to quite a few dishes. The only thing I dislike it in is coffee, I much prefer coconut milk/cream/oil.

Mushrooms, cold storage vegs like carrots, parsnips, turnips, onions. I have a friend who has a little greenhouse who occasionally has a few tomatoes and lettuce to spare. There's a winter farmers market about an hour away that I can sometimes get to: cabbage, beets,various greens (wish I liked greens more!). Sometimes there's a surprise appearance of some green beans, summer squash and cucumbers.

Most of our vegs travel from warm places so I have to rely more on frozen. They're ok (and I I know I should be grateful for them) but they just aren't as good.

If you can get your hands on it, duck fat or goose fat is really great with greens (duck is my favourite), bacon or other tasty meat fats are good too. I also use a few frozen veg, we get a nice stir fry one which I love in thai curries (I find them a bit floppy for stir fries, but the texture is perfect in thai curry).

I still feel very full all the time, and have to make myself eat (except for meal 1). I hope that feeling passes. it is very unpleasant.  Drinking lots of water makes it worse, it seems. Still tired, but better than yesterday. 

It does get better, hang in there! For years I was a breakfast skipper and eating early meals was really hard for me, but Whole30 changed that for me, I am now a breakfast eater :)

Day 3 is proving to be a rough one. I haven't slept well the past several nights for various reasons (awake until almost 2 last night, then up at 7 because kiddos) and I am feeling the drain. Plus I have a headache that hasn't quit after coffee, extra water, and Tylenol. I'm going to take a nap with my preschooler when he goes down for one, and hopefully that'll perk me up. Good thing it's a low-key Sunday, and I started this on a three-day weekend! 

Take it easy, enjoy your nap. It gets better.

Day 1 was easy, Day 2 I basically laid around the house all day, and today - Day 3 has been somewhat back to normal. I still have a slight dull headache, and I am a little tired but definitely not as tired as yesterday. Did some food prepping today. Not a lot, but some. Made some hamburger patties and threw those in the fridge (raw, so easy to defrost in 30 minutes). Then made some taco meat (homemade taco seasoning). I have leftover baked chicken in the fridge from last night. Veggies are cut up and ready to go. Dinner is going to be a flat iron steak with grilled veggies. It is so nice out today (I am in the Dallas, TX area). It was 60 and sunny today. Beautiful. Took my dog on a super long walk thru the park.

I am ready for my work week, and feel that I have plenty of food in the house to keep me compliant. Week 1 was not hard for me last time, but week 2 sure was. So we will see if it is the same this time around. So far so good! Good luck everyone. I think everyone goes back to "real life" tomorrow. Get some good rest tonight!

I'm not a big fan of coconut oil with protein, tastes a bit sweet for me. I prefer olive oil :) The one exception is in thai curries, where I add loads of coconut anyway.

I don't like it either. I made clarified butter, and I have bacon fat. That is what I use.

My day got off to a difficult start with an emergency call from work - really was an emergency as there was smoke in the building, 5 fire trucks and an ambulance responding (I work in a nursing home). Luckily turned out to be fumes from a minor mechanical issue but breakfast became lunch, lunch became a mini- meal and dinner will be just a bit later than usual. I have noticed that since I started my first W30, I wake up hungry in the morning so meal timing at night always feels important to me..

Cooked some vegs, Nomnom Paleo's craclklin' chicken, some soup....with weekend leftovers, I've got a good start to the week. I often have had a glass of wine when cooking so happy to have my kombucha!

I'm a little worried.  Day 3 for me and I feel pretty good.  No bad side effects at all.  I even feel like Ive been sleeping better.

I woke up extremely hungry today. I've never had much of a sweet tooth and I've been drinking black coffee for years, one cup a day.

Is it possible that I'm not going to feel the "crash" for a few days later than everyone else? Has anyone heard of that?

My biggest worry was my evening glass of wine (that had really turned in my evening bottle of wine :wub: ).   I've even been ok there.  I miss

it psychologically but I just think of why I'm doing this Whole30 and I've been ok.

M1- Grilled Steak and Fried Eggs, side of avocado.

M2- Spaghetti squashed and grilled chicken, rest of avocado.

M3- Rainbow Chard, sweet potato and roasted pork.

I've done whole thirty before and this is new for me.....fingers crossed that I'm not doing something really wrong.

Is anyone else feeling the same??

Day 3 on the books (Instagram green_hm to see all of my meals)! Haven't had the same kind of headaches as the last two days, but I have been feeling exhausted. Slept in way late (and could have gone longer if I hadn't forced myself out of bed), so my M2 was really just a small meal  in the late afternoon to help tide me over until dinner. I also ended up having a 2 hour nap in the afternoon unplanned (and I never nap)! I hope I'll be able to sleep tonight. As I'm posting my 'check-in' for the day and winding down for bed, I do feel tired. 

M1: poached eggs in cinnamon sweet potato nests, sausage, avocado, and green grapes.

M2: coconut, almonds, and a grapefruit

M3: garlic lemon salmon w/ brussels sprouts and carrots (steamed)

I also drank 3L of water (including an herbal tea). Not sure when the thirst goes away :P but I can't seem to get enough water. It does make the day frustrating with how much more I need to get up and use the washroom lol. I am glad I started this on the 1st because I've been able to go through the exhaustion, withdrawal, headaches, short-fused-ness, and adaptation at home in a controlled environment. Tomorrow it's back to work! I'm hoping that it'll go smoothly. Pre-chopped up some sweet potato tonight to go with my breakfast. I've gotten in the bad habit of sleeping in, rushing out the door, skipping making breakfast, and grabbing something on the road (I have a 45 min commute). So need to break that routine for my health (and my wallet)! I need to take the time in the morning to make something to eat. I can do this!

Day 3 is done.  Been a breeze so far.  Good food and plenty of physical activity have kept me occupied.  Brisket is prepped and ready for the Green Egg tomorrow.  Looking forward to D4 M3. 

I am so happy all of the holiday festivities have come to an end.  Don't get me wrong, I enjoy spending time with my family.  What I don't like is when my daily routine is out of kilter.  5 day work week, kids at school, I will be a happy camper again!

Archived