CALLING ALL JANUARY 1ST WHOLE30ERS!

found.in.nature

Big snowstorm coming up into New England so I did some grocery shopping tonight. It has always cracked me up that the milk and bread shelves are stripped bare. There were long lines at the checkout so I entertained myself by looking at what was in the carts around me. I had chicken, fish, fruit and vegs. I was the only one not loaded to the max with snowstorm comfort food - chips, snacks, soda....mostly things in boxes and big puffy bags. I think I'm going to be very happy tomorrow watching snowflakes fly while I make a big pot of soup-it'll be nice to come in to after some work and play time outdoors.

• Replies 814
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hello All,

I have not been posting as regularly as I did at the start, but things are going well. When I am at work a lot of my colleagues are interested in my lunch. I discuss Whole 30 with them, and that is about as far as it goes. I am feeling good, still eating compliant, and still eating to many nuts. In one of my earlier posts I mentioned eating nuts, I think for comfort, emotional eating. So I am still trying to break that bad connection with food. I know I will do another Whole 30 after this one. I do feel so much better eating healthy than how I was eating before! Now to break this emotional\habitual eating! 

Healthy eating everyone!

Day 22 Wooohooo. Slept about 9 hours last night with only a few wake-ups but with, admittedly, a little "better living through chemistry"… SO good to wake up feeling a bit rested. Managed to have a slice of egg loaf and a quarter of an avocado within 90 minutes of getting out of bed. (after feeding the dog and 3 horses and brewing coffee !) Looking forward to a 4 mile walk this afternoon and maybe finding a fun Whole30 recipe to make for dinner.  I have found that pre-cooked, frozen shrimp from Costco are an amazingly easy and tasty protein source for this "Vegetarian". (Sorry, Shrimpies….) 

I am starting to mentally prepare for "Re-into."  Invited to a dinner party on Jan. 31(whew !)  I will enjoy that first glass of wine, I know !  However, I think aside from legumes, most other categories might stay off my list indefinitely.  It will be SO interesting to re-introduce food-groups in a more "evidence-based" manner.

Feeling grateful for such a well-designed website and all the support in this Forum !  

Cheers all !  :)

Hello!

I've been reading a lot of posts but not writing much lately.  Mostly because I enjoy reading so much I end up out of time before I can type something up myself. That is a good thing!  I am completely surprised at how this Whole30 has flown by and I attribute a lot of that to this forum. I've been on target with my eating. And have now stepped up my workouts. I have definitely felt better as a whole, great sleep and even felt some tiger blood.  

Last night I went out to dinner and had a ribeye steak.  I asked for Medium and they brought me out an extremely rare piece.  I forced myself to eat about 1/3 but could not eat anymore so I sent it back (reluctantly. They never get it right when you send something back) and as I expected, the steak was STILL RARE. By then my stomach was already feeling upset.  They were very good about it and ended up taking my entire meal off the bill.

Within half an hour my stomach was gurgling and overall feeling lousy.  I woke up this morning and was in the bathroom 2-3 times (not pretty).  Weirdly, I am happy about this event.  I was able to recognize my body's response to something "not sitting well with me".  It just means that I'm learning how to listen to my body and next time I won't even try to eat something I knew from the first bite, was not going well.  

NSV :)

Thanks everyone for sharing.

It's been snowing like crazy for the last 8 hours. Lots of wind,too. It looks like maybe 8 or 9 inches. A big pot of chocolate chili is just the thing for a day like today. I'll be making soup tomorrow to get the chill out of my bones after all the shoveling that comes next.

Major realization today:

I had a long, emotionally and physically draining day at work. I had a patient lay some heavy stuff about his home life on me and had to console a woman (48 y/o) who was in tears because she just had triple bypass surgery. Needless to say I was exhausted and my resolve was weakened. It doesn't help that I'm right on track with the food boredom part of the timeline. The thought of going home and eating another compliant meal was not a pleasant one. I was craving comfort food something fierce and it was all I could think of while grocery shopping for the next week. It was in that moment that I had a revelation about how I think about food in tough times. I never saw myself as an emotional eater, but the first place I turn is food.

I decided to stop at Chipotle on the way home, the only place I could think of to get something compliant that wasn't completely unappetizing. I admit that I almost ordered a burrito, but I stopped myself and got a compliant salad instead. I thought about how ordering that burrito would set me back to where I began...sick, tired, and out of control. I also thought about how far I have come and how good I feel right now. I'm so glad that I didn't give into those feelings and cravings (my stomach thanks me as well). The NSVs are adding up and I need to keep a running list for times like today...steady energy, stable blood sugar, clearing acne, better sleep, clothes are looser, etc.

Now to go to bed early and put this exhausting day behind me.

Way to make good choices Heather!!!

Day 23 was a pretty good day.  I did not do too much and I watched the East Coast Championships (a CrossFitt competition) online.  Ate good food and relaxed.  I am still trying to get my hip and sciatica under control but I think I am making progress.

Don't forget to take some time to enjoy the accomplishment.  How many people set resolutions at the start of the year that have already failed and we are all doing the good fight?  Relish the success and the satisfaction that comes from following through on a commitment to yourself.  Congrats!

Cheers

DJ

Hi all, 

Long time no check in for me, we've been on holiday (still here for the next few days) and been enjoying the sun and the local beaches. So am on day 24 now and still going along well. It has been a bit tougher being on holiday particularly when we've been taking the kids out for the day and I haven't been quite as prepared with food as I could have been so there have been some days when I've been a bit hungry and had to wait to get home to eat. The good things about this holiday- there is a fantastic local [compliant] kombucha factory in the town we are staying in where we've been able to buy kombucha in bulk, there is loads of fresh seafood around (fishing town) so have always kept a kilo or so of fresh cooked prawns in the fridge and had fresh fish almost daily, we took the kids to an animal farm the other day and on the way back I noticed a macadamia nut farm  :D pulled in and bought some yummy [compliant] garlic macadamias, chilli macadamias and some salted ones as well as some gorgeous macadamia nut oil, I've eaten out and had plain grilled fish and with plain salad and felt pretty satisfied with that and, I managed to source some of those paleo [compliant] Cleavers sausages that I saw Praxis Project mention in a post so they have been a real treat too.

Some friends came up and are staying for the next few days (and these are people I have enjoyed more than a few glasses of bubbles with over the years :P )-of course they brought up champagne but I didn't miss it at all and still managed to enjoy my time with them with a Pellegrino and squeeze of lime despite them all drinking. My initial reasons for my W30 was just to tweak some poor lifestyle choices I had moved into and I have definitely become a lot more conscious and aware of that, I didn't really need to lose weight although had noticed a bit of a desk belly and bum developing for me from prolonged sitting and the tummy thing is really no longer an issues, the weight has fallen off me if the hang of my clothes is anything to go by and I also have to say I do think tiger blood is having a bit of a whirl through my veins. I have been going to bed fairly late and am waking up at my normal time of 5ish without  any hint of tiredness or lack of energy and most mornings have been going for a long walk or a beach run. I feel amazing, in fact the only thing irritating me at all is slight sunburn because I didn't apply enough sun protection cream today when we went for our morning swim-very silly of me!  :rolleyes:

So anyway, just a brief update, am thinking I may well try to extend to 45 days though, I really want to see how long I can sustain this energy level for. Hope everyone is doing well and learning lots about their bodies and health, it has been such a great journey to be on.  Take care all!  :)

Day 24: One week left. This is the time where I am just good and sick of the whole thing and a week feels like a month. I don't feel that way all day, everyday but rather random hits of this feeling. One of the biggest things I attribute it to is just not feeling all that great. Energy levels are good and steady throughout the day but I have had digestion issues that are holding me back. I suspect it will take more than diet to handle this as well as more time because 30 days isn't that long though at times it can feel like forever.

Meanwhile, as weird as it may sound, I am not looking forward to ending this on the 30th which is pretty much how I felt the last time too. I am not sure what I will re intro first but my goal is to put together my re intro plan this week and really stick to it.

Congrats to all of us January W30'ers. It seems like yesterday when we were just starting this thing but then again it doesn't. 

I watched Michael Pollan's "in Defense of Food " today while I was doing my cook up for the week. There were many,many interesting points but I particularly enjoyed his 3 food rules: Eat only foods that will eventually rot. Eat only foods that are cooked by humans. Avoid foods you see advertised on TV.

If you've not seen it, Google it and link to it through your local PBS station.

And day 24 done! Nice day catching up on things, watching my two crazy guys (husband and 19-year-old son) play baseball in the livingroom with a piece of firewood as a bat and a squishy stress ball - they played all 9 innings, had some really weird rules going, and just cracked me (and themselves) up! Sillies. It was a good antidote to yesterday's emergency water pump replacement.

Got to spend some time with my daughter and our horses, and now have to get packed up for the week at work in town. Sigh.

have a great night!

I feel like my meals take me further in the day.  However; you make good points.  I tried 3-4 eggs in my first couple days and I ended up giving my boyfriend a majority of them,  part of this may have been from feeling sick to my stomach, but I really do eat until I am full.  

Point well taken about the pre and post work out, because it's just walking my dog I didn't look at it as a workout more just exercise for my dog.  But you make a valid point and I will adjust this. 

I am trying to listen to my body but sometimes it seems like it speaks a different language lol

Thank you so much for you help.  - I was reading that some people do take a probiotic, is this something you would recommend?

I used to have a lot of nausea with food in the mornings too, now my hormones are settling out it's fairly rare (although sometimes pops up when I'm sick). I find the template is the best fix for it for me. Also, if you always eat eggs in the morning, you might want to try something else for a few days in case it's the eggs.

I know what you mean about the dog, we often forget exercising the dog is exercising us too ;) Jogging is more likely to need the extra food & starch, but walking the dog is exercise + happy :)

I sometimes have trouble with what my body wants too, as a long time shift worker I spent over a decade ignoring it and overriding it's messages, so I have a bit to catch up on ;)

In your situation I wouldn't recommend a probiotic if you have no actual stomach/insides distress, but some Kombucha is an easy addition and less likely to be disruptive if everything is running well :) My body prefers it to most probiotics and fermented veggies. Probiotics can make you sick as well as better, so don't feel you must add them if you're feeling okay.

Well the idea of chicken livers will take some getting used too! Life is an adventure though isn't it! Game on. Thanks Praxisproject!

I used to never eat offal, until someone pointed out I ate pate sometimes, I didn't realise it was made from liver lol

If you don't like that recipe, there's some more pate style ones around. I really like Mel Joulwan's recipe though, it's a recipe for someone who has never cooked livers before :)

The good things about this holiday- there is a fantastic local [compliant] kombucha factory in the town we are staying in where we've been able to buy kombucha in bulk, there is loads of fresh seafood around (fishing town) so have always kept a kilo or so of fresh cooked prawns in the fridge and had fresh fish almost daily, we took the kids to an animal farm the other day and on the way back I noticed a macadamia nut farm  :D pulled in and bought some yummy [compliant] garlic macadamias, chilli macadamias and some salted ones as well as some gorgeous macadamia nut oil, I've eaten out and had plain grilled fish and with plain salad and felt pretty satisfied with that and, I managed to source some of those paleo [compliant] Cleavers sausages that I saw Praxis Project mention in a post so they have been a real treat too.

Sounds like everything is going really well Sandy! Do you know which brand of Kombucha? I've tried so many but there's always new brands popping up.

Day 24: One week left. This is the time where I am just good and sick of the whole thing and a week feels like a month. I don't feel that way all day, everyday but rather random hits of this feeling. One of the biggest things I attribute it to is just not feeling all that great. Energy levels are good and steady throughout the day but I have had digestion issues that are holding me back. I suspect it will take more than diet to handle this as well as more time because 30 days isn't that long though at times it can feel like forever.

Meanwhile, as weird as it may sound, I am not looking forward to ending this on the 30th which is pretty much how I felt the last time too. I am not sure what I will re intro first but my goal is to put together my re intro plan this week and really stick to it.

Congrats to all of us January W30'ers. It seems like yesterday when we were just starting this thing but then again it doesn't. 

Well done cocojoe! 24 days is awesome, don't forget to pat yourself on the back :D

You may want to post in the Troubleshooting section with a few days of your food log and see what's going on.

There's some tricky digestion things that W30 on it's own may not fix, but we might be able to narrow down your suspects, you may have a mild allergen or irritant which is holding you back.

@ Praxisproject, it is Kombucha Max [http://kombuchamax.com.au]. I think they sell all over Australia-they are fantastic and you can order directly from them and they deliver. I bought a box this afternoon to take home of 500ml bottles (much better value then the usual 350ml bottles you get), great flavours too (the coconut one is delicious!) but it worked out at $2.50 a bottle. Small factory set up, we met the owners they were lovely. I think he is an ex-boxer  who suffered arthritic type inflammation and got into kombucha and it went from there. I think they have another good deal of 48 bottles of the 350ml bottles and they work out at $1.75 a bottle. They also make kombucha vinegar which is delicious as well (we bought about 15 bottles of that too-so stocked up at the moment! :P) Great product , lovely people, Australian made and owned-I'm very happy to support them.  :D

Way to go Heather! Good for you! 

DonnaR we are on the home stretch! It is hard to believe that we are almost done! 

I am feeling so good! I am going to do another Whole 30, I will just continue on. My focus will be to eat pre workout and post work meals, and to work out! Ha ha! Anyway, good luck to all! 

M1- 4 scrambled eggs with spinach and tomato, 1/2 avocado

M2- Mexican tuna boats, banana

M3- Leftover pot roast, vegetables, roasted brussel sprouts, banana

Healthy eating everyone!

Holy cow, Day 25! I can't believe we only have five days left. For the most part, I'm definitely starting to feel like I'm hitting my stride. There were a few moments this weekend where both the hubby and I were feeling the strain. We got invited over for pizza night by a new friend, (Someone I don't know well enough to be like "Sure, I'll just bring all of my own food and drink kombucha while you guys have wine/beer") so it was hard to opt out of that for yet another evening of cooking at home. Both the hubby and I were feeling over it on Saturday. I did make the walnut crusted pork chops from the Well Fed blog and those were not only delicious, but they felt fancy, so that was nice.

We also had a lot of talks this weekend about how we'll be "riding our own bike" after this. Reintroductions will shape some of it, but he's also a habitual snacker/emotional eater. For some reason, he can resist those behaviors on the W30 but afterward reverts back to mindlessly eating out of the candy bowl. So, we've been talking about why that is and how he can harness the "W30 willpower" and just eat the off-plan foods that are truly worth it. I find this aspect of the W30 so fascinating. I imagine no matter how many of these you do, you learn something new about your relationship with food.

So, lots of strategizing happening in our household. I'm trying to enjoy the next five days of structure, but I'm also looking forward to reintroduction and it's unique set of challenges.

Way to go Heather! Good for you! 

DonnaR we are on the home stretch! It is hard to believe that we are almost done! 

I am feeling so good! I am going to do another Whole 30, I will just continue on. My focus will be to eat pre workout and post work meals, and to work out! Ha ha! Anyway, good luck to all! 

M1- 4 scrambled eggs with spinach and tomato, 1/2 avocado

M2- Mexican tuna boats, banana

M3- Leftover pot roast, vegetables, roasted brussel sprouts, banana

Healthy eating everyone!

I am also hoping to do continue after the 30 days, might just weigh myself and take measurements again .... see how long I can go !

Wow….It IS day 25 !   Bitter/Sweet to think about "ending" the Whole30…Awesome to now have this experience "under my belt (twice now !). One of the big NSV's for me is to see how true it is that it's not JUST about will-power when it comes to food cravings but that substances (like sugar) are so very addictive.  Not just a little... but VERY.  I can't rationalize" just a little sugar" the way I used to.  These realizations are incredibly valuable. The sanity that returns is really demonstrated by doing this program very conscientiously and for the prescribed amount of time.  

@praxisproject. Thank you for the support. Think I have some digestive issues to work out. Gargling, Celtic sea salt and about a tablespoon of ACV before meals seem to all be helping and quickly too.

Also, finally had enough bones saved up to make a broth. Bone broth kills both my sugar and coffee cravings.

Hey all!!!

Yes ... Home stretch it is.  I am actually planning on a W180 (January to end of June). I will weigh once a month (every 30 days) but I will remain on plan.  I have done 95 days before but I need a good stretch.

For those planning on "seeing how long this can go", make sure that you plan and follow the re-introduction process, if you need/want this data.  Going for "as long as I can" typically means going until some family event, social event or party comes along and you decide not to follow W30 eating.  This means you lose the ability to gain the re-introduction (n=1) information.  Like a successful W30, you need to plan for a successful re-introduction too.

Last W30, I made a conscious effort to religiously follow the re-introduction protocol and was glad that I did.  I don't do it every time (did #1 W30 and again on #7 W30).  

Today is a good day.  My back and hip are 90% and after the week I have had, I am happy with 90.  I am tempted to roll into a high intensity workout tomorrow but know I should wait a week before pushing the envelope.

Today I was looking in the mirror and I think I can see some physical changes since Jan 1, 2016.  I think I love the process more than the results (now after 8 W30s, I can say that) so I think I can follow this for some time.  My wife admitted to me that she thinks she likes me better on the plan than off.  Spending is much more stable (no lunches / dinners out), generally feel better, better able to deal with stresses.

Eating was on plan today... but I don't know yet what I am having for dinner.  I am going to grab something on the way home!

Cheers

DJ

Hello Everyone!

Day 25 is a wrap! I worked out this morning! 

Pre workout meal - hand full of almonds

Post workout meal- baked potato, leftover roast beef

M1- 4 scrambled eggs with spinach and tomato, 1/2 avocado, raspberries

M2- Chicken chowder, apple

snack - almonds

M3- leftover roast beef, roasted broccoli, homemade mayonnaise

Healthy eating everyone!

26th Jan = Happy Australia Day from the Ozzie's. The day is Usually spent having a BBQ, drinking wine, and listening to the hottest 100 songs voted by Ozzie's for the year (as I type, air force jets fly over in celebration). This year, I kept it low key and not because I'm avoiding social occasions (ok, partly), but my hubby was working and we have been building a veggie patch to sustain this level of organic produce in our lives without the dollar tag. So i spent the day listening to the hottest 100 songs, prepping 10 or so meals to freeze and planting our patch. Having said that, even though we have blown our grocery budget, we are well under monthly budget with no eating out or lunches. Happy days.

I had a huge observation today. Usually when I lie down in the afternoon, even just simply reclining back and putting my feet up to read the paper, it will trigger major bloating and gas which takes a few hours "to pass" and quite a lot of pain (5/10). It's usually not worth the rest. But today, I did.... and NO BLOATING. None. OMG. This is a game changer. I'm still fatigued, no tiger blood, but I can rest in the afternoon. I Will continue to omit avo and nuts.

Day 17 restart (26 originally). Not thinking about reintro yet as I'm only half way through.

M1 - 2 eggs, a beef rib, celery, carrot, 1/4 teaspoon kimchi, spinach, tablespoon apple sauce.

M2 - chicken coconut curry with coconut milk, spinach, sweet potato, cauliflower, ghee, 1/4 pear, bone broth.

M3 - roast chicken, beef bacon, carrot, parsnip, sweet potato, tablespoon apple sauce, shredded coconut and 4 blueberries.

1 cup of kombusha consumed in mouthfuls throughout the day. More fruit was consumed today than what I have been.

Happy Australia day!!!

Archived