CALLING ALL JANUARY 1ST WHOLE30ERS!

found.in.nature

Yes ... Home stretch it is.  I am actually planning on a W180 (January to end of June). I will weigh once a month (every 30 days) but I will remain on plan.  I have done 95 days before but I need a good stretch.

I am also hoping to take this as long as I can. This is my third Whole30, so I am hoping to make it at least a Whole45 or Whole60!

• Replies 814
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am also hoping to take this as long as I can. This is my third Whole30, so I am hoping to make it at least a Whole45 or Whole60!

Me too! My goal is whole90 :) although I have a few catered events and a bachelorette in there that might be a little tough.. But 90 is the goal! Good luck with you're 45 or 60!

Oh where oh where has my tiger blood gone? Oh where oh where can it be? (whiny little child voice)

Just feeling sooo slooow today. Feeling fine, brain clear, just no physical get up and go. Need to go do a work out anyhow - maybe moving more will help. I'm usually the energizer bunny type, so this is almost like the first week revisited. 

I have to say I am looking forward to working up to a slightly wider diet with less meat in it soon. I will go to legumes as my first re-intro and hope that they still make my body as happy as they used to. No soy (no way!) but lentils especially are on my wish list at the moment.

I certainly feel leaner, even though I have not really gotten much smaller (didn't want to) - feels good! Just need my usual crazy energy back. Please?

Gargling, Celtic sea salt and about a tablespoon of ACV before meals seem to all be helping and quickly too.

That's good to know. This may mean your stomach acid is a little too diluted at meal time.

Try drinking most of your liquids outside of meal times, this gives your stomach acid more time to process your food.

Vinegar also contains acetic acid, which is also in Kombucha.

Oh where oh where has my tiger blood gone? Oh where oh where can it be? (whiny little child voice)

You may want to post in the Troubleshooting section, with a day or two of meals and exercise, see if there's any tweaks to get you feeling more energetic :)

I've had a sad realization today. I can't eat eggs in any form. I had a minor eczema flare earlier when I tried to eat scrambled eggs for breakfast. It cleared up when I stopped eating them, but now my eczema is flaring badly on my face and the only change that I've made in the past week is eating mayonnaise. I could do without ever eating scrambled eggs, deviled eggs, etc., but not my beloved mayonnaise! This makes me terribly sad. I LOVE my homemade mayonnaise and could eat it on anything or even just with a spoon. Now it looks like I have to give it up . Sad day...

I've had a sad realization today. I can't eat eggs in any form. I had a minor eczema flare earlier when I tried to eat scrambled eggs for breakfast. It cleared up when I stopped eating them, but now my eczema is flaring badly on my face and the only change that I've made in the past week is eating mayonnaise. I could do without ever eating scrambled eggs, deviled eggs, etc., but not my beloved mayonnaise! This makes me terribly sad. I LOVE my homemade mayonnaise and could eat it on anything or even just with a spoon. Now it looks like I have to give it up . Sad day...

Heather, if you have the Whole 30 book there is a recipe in there for egg free mayonnaise. Hope that helps. 

If you're having standard eggs, you might want to try just egg yolks or organic eggs (pastured if you can find them). Some people have a reaction only to the whites, or to what the chickens ate (I get itchy from a lot of "cage eggs" but not organic eggs and I think it's the food they eat - I can't have gluten myself).

If you do have to go egg free, you're not alone. Lots of great egg free recipes from the AIP community.

Check out the delicious Vegenaise line !   Egg-free and made from different oils. (some may not be compliant while on Whole30) but I haven't checked ingredients on every one yet. My husband loves the one that contains grape seed oil…I think it also contains brown rice syrup and possibly soy, but is organic, gluten free, non-dairy etc.  And did I mention delicious !?!

Day 27. Sound asleep and dreaming when the 06:00 alarm went off. Drat.  

Not sure I'll ever become the "bounce-out-of-bed-happy-chatty-tiger-blooded-carpe diem-dancing diva" that I keep hoping for…but, it's only Day 27. Ha ha.

Off to work with my egg loaf and sautéed shrimp and veggies.

Cheers to everyone on the path :)  

Day 27!! Things are humming along. I keep finding myself waking up earlier than normal (pretty common for me on Whole30) and because I've gotten so much better at listening to my body, I just go with it and get up. It's actually been really nice to have an extra hour to just chill out before the normal morning routine. I've been lounging in bed, drinking coffee and reading. It's been heavenly.

I had a strange reaction to something I ate on Monday (I think I've narrowed it to M2) Gas/bloating for the rest of the day, followed by many visits to the bathroom the next day. It was a pretty FODMAP heavy lunch (avocado, golden cauliflower soup and roasted root veggies), so I'm thinking that's what caused it. I laid off of all of those things yesterday to let everything settle down, so I'll be paying attention to that for the next three days and during reintroduction. I usually eat a lot of root veggies and haven't noticed an issue, so it might have been a case of too many at a time or something else altogether. But I'm very grateful to this forum for even knowing that could possibly be a cause. So much good info here!

Check out the delicious Vegenaise line ! Egg-free and made from different oils. (some may not be compliant while on Whole30) but I haven't checked ingredients on every one yet. My husband loves the one that contains grape seed oil…I think it also contains brown rice syrup and possibly soy, but is organic, gluten free, non-dairy etc. And did I mention delicious !?!

I'll give it a shot. Mayonnaise is my favorite fat to add to meals beyond those used in cooking. I know there are egg-free recipes and I'll try those too, but I'm the kind of person who would rather not eat a particular food at all rather than a substitute (i.e. real bread vs gluten-free bread). The exception to that is coconut and almond milks. I adore those.

Hello everyone, I am Susan from Switzerland.

I also started on 01.01, but I think I will keep going for, at least, two more weeks, because I do not feel much difference, maybe you have some advices for me, its that normal? I have some days where I feel full of energy, but most of the time is not the case... I use to sleep a lot, and I still doing if I have the opportunity...

I hope you can give me some support and advices.

Thanks a lot

I had a strange reaction to something I ate on Monday (I think I've narrowed it to M2) Gas/bloating for the rest of the day, followed by many visits to the bathroom the next day. It was a pretty FODMAP heavy lunch (avocado, golden cauliflower soup and roasted root veggies), so I'm thinking that's what caused it. I laid off of all of those things yesterday to let everything settle down, so I'll be paying attention to that for the next three days and during reintroduction. I usually eat a lot of root veggies and haven't noticed an issue, so it might have been a case of too many at a time or something else altogether. But I'm very grateful to this forum for even knowing that could possibly be a cause. So much good info here!

Sometimes it's just load. I was really shocked when I reviewed my nightshade intake originally, some of my meals were entirely out of nightshades :P I didn't have to give them up, just dial the load down.

I'll give it a shot. Mayonnaise is my favorite fat to add to meals beyond those used in cooking. I know there are egg-free recipes and I'll try those too, but I'm the kind of person who would rather not eat a particular food at all rather than a substitute (i.e. real bread vs gluten-free bread). The exception to that is coconut and almond milks. I adore those.

Have you tried Sunshine Sauce? :) No eggs, no nuts.

Hello everyone, I am Susan from Switzerland.

I also started on 01.01, but I think I will keep going for, at least, two more weeks, because I do not feel much difference, maybe you have some advices for me, its that normal? I have some days where I feel full of energy, but most of the time is not the case... I use to sleep a lot, and I still doing if I have the opportunity...

I hope you can give me some support and advices.

Welcome Susan :)

You might want to post a few days worth of food in the Troubleshooting section of the forum and you can get a review and see if there's something missing. Quite often it's something quite simple, like not eating enough food. Being tired all the time is not part of the program.

Not sure what is going on, but for the last week I've felt worse than I have in a long time - major fibro flare up, digestive upset, etc. The last time I attempted a Whole30 I was feeling great by week two or so, but this time no improvement at all. I haven't been able to pinpoint anything I've done differently. To my knowledge I haven't had any food I shouldn't (although I did have a couple dreams that I did!). The quality of my food this go round has even been better - more grassfed, pastured, organic, etc. In the interest of complete disclosure, my veggie intake could be better, but is much improved from my typical intake. I read the Paleo Approach over the weekend and am wondering if transitioning to the AIP would be beneficial, but I am so not ready to give up my eggs yet. I know white potatoes causes my fibro to flare, so I'm thinking of trying a partial AIP - eliminating nightshades, nuts and coffee (say it isn't so:() and then if still no improvement biting the bullet and going full AIP. Its just so discouraging to read that for some people improvement can take months. On the plus side I really don't get tempted by unhealthy foods now and the only thing I still crave is coffee with heavy cream and sugar. I wish I could find another warm beverage that I enjoy. I have a shelf full of teas, but just don't enjoy any of them.

I think if I still drank coffee everyday that I would not be able to do this. I got food poisoning last year and could not eat for days. It was accompanied by a cloying head ache and I realized that on top of being so sick I was having caffeine withdrawal. It also made me realize I needed to start eating clean. So I did not resume my daily coffee. I do have a cup of tea on most mornings but I don't mind drinking tea w/o milk or sugar. I do miss my occassional latte though. 

I am on day 17. I am having a hard time getting to sleep at a decent hour and having very loud dreams. I dreamt I worked in a restaurant with a childhood friend. Food everywhere! I I woke tired from the dreams, and not enough sleep. Weird. 

I am having days where I have a very late breakfast and then dinner later on. But no hunger until later at night. Not on plan I realize. But so far no dire consequences. Today I will try to squeeze in lunch. I cannot eat right away in the morning because I take thyroid meds in the morning. You have to wait an hour or so before you eat. 

Day 28!!! Waking up today was not as easy as it was around day 20, but I'll contribute that to work being more stressful this week. I also hit a major wall around 3pm yesterday and had to walk a few laps to wake myself up and finish my day! 

My sleep has been better, but I am still have much more vivid dreams than i did prior to whole30. 

Made it through our favorite NHL team's game on tuesday - lucky for us there is an option at the stadium to get carved turkey, with no bread, then wrap it up with tomato and lettuce and onion. Probably not enough fat in that meal, but it was definitely a good decision overall! 

We have some visitors coming to stay with us today through the weekend and I have planned some nice whole30 meals I'm excited to share with them! (And not tell them they are "Whole30" meals because for whatever reason that freaks some people out?!) 

Happy day 28! It's weird that we're so close to day 30, but that reintroductions follow, so it's "two days" left. ;-) I was laughing about this with the hubby. But honestly, aside from having a glass of wine with compliant dinner on Sunday, I don't have a ton of off-plan foods that I'm craving. I'm going to go easy on the FODMAP veggies next week to help the reintroduction process. (I looked at the shopping list from the W30 site and pretty much everything I have in my veggie drawer is a FODMAP... ) 

My stupid dog woke me up in the middle of the night and it took a long time to get back to sleep, so I'm a little out of sorts today. I let myself have a little more coffee than normal and wasn't as diligent adding veggies to my breakfast as I usually am. I'll up the veggies at lunch to balance it out and hopefully I won't regret the extra caffeine. We'll see... 

We have some visitors coming to stay with us today through the weekend and I have planned some nice whole30 meals I'm excited to share with them! (And not tell them they are "Whole30" meals because for whatever reason that freaks some people out?!) 

Ha! I do the same thing. It's amazing how differently people react when you tell them ahead of time vs. just serve them the food. 

• Moderators

There are no Veganaise variations that would be compliant on a Whole30, sorry... they all contain Carrageenan (as well as off plan oils).

I Screwed Up MY Jan. 2016 W30 and I Am NOT Starting Over…

Yes, I take full responsibility that completely by accident, I consumed a non-compliant ingredient on day 28, day friggin 28 people, which has a very different mental impact than say day 3. It was an ingredient that I would not ever consume even in my outside W30 life. It was truly a mistake and believe me, I had to work triple time to not beat the s!@# out of myself mentally about how I could have been so stupid. Sometimes stupid happens.

During both my W30’s this one and last, I would agonize over eating out in any restaurant because I am convinced that even when a person has done every single thing in their power to safeguard their meal, that there are many people who think they have been 100% compliant all 30 days who haven’t simply because they have eaten out. It happens and maybe in this case ignorance is bliss, especially if you are a head case like me.

One of my goals during this W30 was not to say no to every single invite to socialize over a restaurant meal because of fear. I want to be more relaxed around eating in restaurants. My husband and I had breakfast in a local diner, a decent choice due to menu diversity and diners are usually very accommodating. I decided what I was going to eat ahead of time and made sure that my omelet was not cooked in butter and that no gluten and dairy were added.

Here’s what happened:

My misstep happened over a lousy cup of Lemon Lift tea. I am not a big tea drinker but I am trying to cut back on coffee (diner coffee is generally crappy anyway) and hate the taste of Lipton (a diner staple). I decided on the innocuous herbal variety instead. The waitress brought over my cup of hot water and tea bag along with a bowl of lemon wedges. The tea bag was in an individual wrapper which I quickly perused to check for ingredients. Thinking that all was OK, I tore open the wrapper and dunked, taking my first, second and third sip. Then some force of nature had me picking up that wrapper and flipping it around in my hand, noticed that there were indeed ingredients listed that I had missed on the back. I was shocked to see that soy lecithin was among the listed ingredients. BTW, this ingredient in tea really pisses me off but that’s a whole other story. Afterwards, I even beat myself up a bit over why I didn't just order hot water w/ lemon, something I have never done or would have even considered.

Now if you are anything like me, you would have felt that crushing blow that comes from being a couple days shy of done with 100% compliance and then having this occur when you already have basket-case issues with eating out. I hadn’t even taken a single bite of food yet. I know how stress can literally undue the best eating habits in the world and I fought hard to be able to even enjoy my meal and not screw up my digestion.

In the end, my choice is NOT to start over and I stand by that choice. I believe in my case that starting over would set up a very negative association with the program and would cause further regression of my issues. I came to the W30 largely to learn about my triggers to foods both physically and emotionally and also to face my issues around food head on so that I can have a healthier mindset. Starting over would truly set me back. I am sure many a moderator would have me starting over but this is my call to make and I have made it.

No, I will not be bragging about my perfect W30 on the forum. I don’t feel I have earned that right but I DO feel that I have completed a successful W30 nonetheless.

I am not afraid of backlash. I even welcome it as strange as that sounds because the truth is, I still feel a little bad about this and this is part of the way I am working through it.  I wanted to tell this story because we are all truly unique. Some would have started over no question but that would not be a healthy choice for me. Some would not even count this as a W30 since I slipped but there is no taking away what I have learned so far or what I will continue to learn. Both times, I have found this program to be far more challenging than I could ever anticipate but my decision has me looking forward to completing my next W30 with no slips.

cocojoe, don't beat your self up over this. I am not a moderator, but I would consider this a very minor slip up. you did the best you could. you could always consider this as starting your soy reintroduction early.

I agree with you 100%. you are right about how being on day 28 is so much different than day 3. in the end, you are the one rowing your whole 30 boat. if you don't think you should start over, then you shouldn't.

cocojoe, I agree with everything heatherdoT said. This is an individual journey and the lessons learned along the way I think are probably worth more than the final outcomes anyway because they are the pieces to the puzzle for behavioural change. In fact, your story had me thinking more about how insidious the commercial food industry is that even the most basic of ingredients or products are bumped out with additives. I also think you are right in stating you have completed a successful Whole 30-pat yourself on the back for the effort.  :)

Archived