Sugar Dragon Slayers

littleg

• Replies 440
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yay! Thanks for kicking us off, Laura! A brief intro...

Four of us - Ali, Lauren, Laura & I - did December Whole 30's & realized that to move forward in health, we would need to abstain from sugar and even Paleo treats. Who wants to slide back into old habits? Not us! So here we are, committed to support one another in our post-Whole 30 journeys (mine ends tomorrow). We're also here to inspire others that it is possible to live a happy, full life while abstaining from sugar.

Welcome!

OK my friends!  I am excited about being one of the four Dragon Slayers!!

I am motivated and ready to continue with the healthy practices I learned during my December 2015 Whole 30, and am so excited to be refraining from added sugars!!!  :)

I am going to post a link to this forum into my current December 2015 Whole 30 log, and start using this one henceforth.

OK ladies, did everyone get a chance to watch 'That Sugar Movie'  yet?  I want to discuss it!!  I am super motivated to not eat added sugar--I am pissed at sugar and the companies that make a profit off of our addictions!  Stupid Coca-Cola and Hershey's...

I am going to continue to eat whole fruit though, and I like the recommendation to limit it to 2-3 pieces a day.  I usually have 0-2 pieces of fruit a day, so feel that that is acceptable.

And I have some questions, like do you think the inclusion of fruit juice concentrate is considered added sugar?  The cinnamon applesauce I eat during my long runs includes juice concentrate for sweetener.  I'm not sure if I approve, or whether fruit juice in this small amount might be considered OK.  I am having a hard time figuring out what to eat during long runs without choking. :P

I watched That Sugar Movie. It is so sad that these companies have snowed consumers all these years with their unhealthy products. I'm not sure how we got to this point as a society. How did we let this happen? 

There are some other books and movies which contribute to the larger conversation, as well, such as Food, Inc.(movie), Fat, Sick and Nearly Dead (movie), The End of Overeating (book), In Defense of Food (book). Not that I would agree 100% with each of these points of view, but they open the door to help us begin to understand what has gone wrong in our world with food production and what is now considered "normal" in terms of how we eat. 

Some thoughts from That Sugar Movie:

-Damon Gameu's facial expressions are so funny!

-The day he actually ate 40 teaspoons of sugar in the form of white sugar (as opposed to added sugars in processed foods like teriyaki sauce) really drove the point home. Especially when he ate two crackers with a large number of sugar cubes in between them rather than a bar that sounded like a sort of decent snack (to the uneducated).

-Heretofore, I want my nickname to be "The Chainsaw" like the aboriginal man who helped his people with the Mai Wiru program. I laughed my head off when he said the reason his nickname is "The Chainsaw" because he "cut through the bullshit." Hearing him say that in his Australian accent, it just cracked me up.

-My husband and I were struck that Damon's weight and health stats changed so much in such a short time without much change in his calorie intake and output. It just goes to show that weight and blood markers and such are affected by hormones and what the body does to process what we put in. Simple calories in, calories out is just too dumbed down. However, there was that guy who ate nothing but twinkles for awhile and claimed that his weight and health markers didn't change. Not sure how that worked out. I need to read more about that - I've only heard him mentioned.

-When Damon traveled to America and mentioned how it was so hard while driving on highways to find real foods, I was like, "yep!" The signs say "food exit" or whatever, but there is hardly anything that is actually food available. We have a HUGE gas station and convenience store around here called Bucky's. There is all manner of stuff to buy in there, but you could hardly call it food. They don't even sell club soda or sparkling water like Perrier or unsalted nuts. I can't recall even seeing apples or bananas. 

-The thought that the sugar industry wants to keep the information ambiguous so that the public doesn't really understand the impact sugar can have on the body is disgraceful.

I really want to show this film to my kids and talk with them about cutting back on sugar. I have made some changes in what our family eats over the years, but they still get too much sugar. 

Yay! Thanks for kicking us off, Laura! A brief intro...

Four of us - Ali, Lauren, Laura & I - did December Whole 30's & realized that to move forward in health, we would need to abstain from sugar and even Paleo treats. Who wants to slide back into old habits? Not us! So here we are, committed to support one another in our post-Whole 30 journeys (mine ends tomorrow). We're also here to inspire others that it is possible to live a happy, full life while abstaining from sugar.

Welcome!

Thanks, Laura for creating this log!  Sara, I love our mission statement!  Well said!  I'm thinking this is going to be a fun and safe space for all kinds of discussions, and hopefully any visitors or readers we have will benefit from it as well.

Ali, I think you know that if you're asking the question, then you can do better than fruit juice concentrate.  I think it's "less bad"; I don't think it's optimal (I think the "less bad" argument is going to come up often, especially in regards to what I'm working to get my family to eat but also as I try to rationalize my own less-than-optimal choices).  I think applesauce is a great idea because texture-wise it would be close to a gel (ever do those?  I used to fuel long runs with them) but less of a choking hazard than say, carrots.  :)   It's super easy to make your own unsweetened applesauce (and you can add a sprinkle of cinnamon): http://thegoldengrahamgirl.com/2015/06/27/how-to-make-unsweetened-applesauce-at-home/.  I would say just put it in a sturdy baggie and bite or tear the corner off when you're ready to eat/slurp it during your run!

Some long-distance runners and cyclists also swear by carrying a small baked (or boiled) potato with them because it's small and portable and doesn't require much chewing.

Darn it, you're making me miss running training.  I just have to be careful not to do it just to "burn lots of calories."  The nice thing about athletic competitions is that a strong, fit product is a pleasant by-product of getting ready for the competition!

One other question (you can choose to answer it or not because it's definitely a "personal" topic) - what made you "convert" to Mormonism in 2011?  I've met and worked with a few Mormons but it was always "by birth" vs. "by choice."

Okay, now it's my question time: to ring in the New Year, we're going to see Star Wars.  A popular movie snack here is (no joking) buttered squid.  I keep saying that I'm going to try it.  This is my third Whole30 day after the "Paleo baking + chocolate fiasco" as it shall henceforth be known (except I think there might be sugar or no-no additives in the deli ham slices I've been having at breakfast - I haven't bothered to translate the Korean label, but it's one of those small added amounts in an otherwise savoury food so I'm not sweating it).

I'm considering re-introducing butter (not ALL dairy, just butter) tomorrow (yes, that's December 31 for me), largely just to have the buttered squid (I'd cook my breakfast with regular dairy butter and would include regular dairy butter as a fat with M2 as well).  This would be my first "official" reintroduction (since neither sugar nor sulfites are actually recommended reintroductions).  This would mean that I am putting it ahead of legumes and non-gluten grains (the first two recommended reintroductions in the "official" schedule).  I do love me some popcorn, but movie theater popcorn with who-knows-what-horrible oil slathered on it or even real dairy butter would NOT be how I would try a corn reintroduction.

What say ye, Sugar Dragon Slayers?  Buttered squid, yay or nay?  Protein and fat!  Might become my new go-to movie snack!  I'll admit I have a curiosity about it, and consider it part of the "cultural experience" of living in South Korea.

Cheers!

-Lauren

P.S. - Sorry for my long-windedness.  I think Ali and I share this noble trait.

P.P.S - Throughout my life, my best groups of girlfriends have always been in units of four.  Sara, Kerry and Jenn in junior high and high school.  April, Kiley and Leslie when I moved to Newfoundland.  And now Laura, Sara and Alison in Whole30land!  :wub:

There are some other books and movies which contribute to the larger conversation, as well, such as Food, Inc.(movie), Fat, Sick and Nearly Dead (movie), The End of Overeating (book), In Defense of Food (book). Not that I would agree 100% with each of these points of view, but they open the door to help us begin to understand what has gone wrong in our world with food production and what is now considered "normal" in terms of how we eat. 

I will have to watch these movies. I have heard of 'Food, Inc.' and 'Fat, Sick, and Nearly Dead.' I'm going to have to watch them soon. I am so motivated to be healthy! Have you watched them, Sara? Have you read those two books as well, and would you recommend them? Call me a nerd but I love reading about nutrition and health--books, but not so much scientific journals.

Like you, I had a lot of thoughts about the movie. I was so mad at the companies for running scientific experiments to determine the exact amount of sweetness to put into a drink to hook us! What was it called--the Bliss Factor? I mean, from a business standpoint it makes sense. I totally get it. It's all about the bottom line. Money. But to help create and maintain an epidemic just to make a buck or two (or billions) is just disgusting. Advertisers are equally guilty though. Food advertisements are everywhere! It's hard not to be bombarded by it! No wonder we have cravings for foods! We see them everywhere! And advertisers do make food sexy, I don't care what anyone says. They make it appealing to look at, and they put it in our faces, and it's no wonder our society is fat. Not that we can completely blame companies and advertisements. We need to take responsibility for the foods we buy and consume. I thought it was great that the Australian aborigines told their store clerk that they didn't want anymore Coca-Cola, so the owner stopped ordering it! Ha! What a message to send! It was amazing how much weight he gained, maintaining the same calories and fitness level. I used to question the 'a calorie is a calorie' theory, and by doing this Whole 30 (and eating more calories and fat than I ever have before, I'm sure) and by watching the transformation in this movie, I am convinced that a calorie is not a calorie. There are definitely different qualities of calories, and there are foods that mess with your system so much that the body does not function as efficiently as it should. Even though I have witnessed it firsthand during my Whole 30, it is still amazing to me that I can consume food without tracking calories and fat (and lots of it), and still maintain a healthy weight. This amazes me because in the past I would restrict my calories and would not see any changes in body composition or weight, and I would really be eating low-fat with lots of 'healthy' cereals, low fat dairy, etc. that we know now are not healthy at all. I was glad that the glucose-insulin-fat topic was addressed in the movie. ISWF also discusses this principle, and it is so interesting that when our blood sugars are volatile and insulin is ever-present in our blood stream, we can not burn fat as fuel. Insulin won't let that happen. So interesting. Ive got to watch the other films you suggested.

Ali, I think you know that if you're asking the question, then you can do better than fruit juice concentrate.  I think it's "less bad"; I don't think it's optimal (I think the "less bad" argument is going to come up often, especially in regards to what I'm working to get my family to eat but also as I try to rationalize my own less-than-optimal choices).  I think applesauce is a great idea because texture-wise it would be close to a gel (ever do those?  I used to fuel long runs with them) but less of a choking hazard than say, carrots.  :)   It's super easy to make your own unsweetened applesauce (and you can add a sprinkle of cinnamon): http://thegoldengrahamgirl.com/2015/06/27/how-to-make-unsweetened-applesauce-at-home/.  I would say just put it in a sturdy baggie and bite or tear the corner off when you're ready to eat/slurp it during your run!

Some long-distance runners and cyclists also swear by carrying a small baked (or boiled) potato with them because it's small and portable and doesn't require much chewing.

One other question (you can choose to answer it or not because it's definitely a "personal" topic) - what made you "convert" to Mormonism in 2011?  I've met and worked with a few Mormons but it was always "by birth" vs. "by choice."

Okay, now it's my question time: to ring in the New Year, we're going to see Star Wars.  A popular movie snack here is (no joking) buttered squid.  I keep saying that I'm going to try it.  This is my third Whole30 day after the "Paleo baking + chocolate fiasco" as it shall henceforth be known (except I think there might be sugar or no-no additives in the deli ham slices I've been having at breakfast - I haven't bothered to translate the Korean label, but it's one of those small added amounts in an otherwise savoury food so I'm not sweating it).

I'm considering re-introducing butter (not ALL dairy, just butter) tomorrow (yes, that's December 31 for me), largely just to have the buttered squid (I'd cook my breakfast with regular dairy butter and would include regular dairy butter as a fat with M2 as well).  This would be my first "official" reintroduction (since neither sugar nor sulfites are actually recommended reintroductions).  This would mean that I am putting it ahead of legumes and non-gluten grains (the first two recommended reintroductions in the "official" schedule).  I do love me some popcorn, but movie theater popcorn with who-knows-what-horrible oil slathered on it or even real dairy butter would NOT be how I would try a corn reintroduction.

What say ye, Sugar Dragon Slayers?  Buttered squid, yay or nay?  Protein and fat!  Might become my new go-to movie snack!  I'll admit I have a curiosity about it, and consider it part of the "cultural experience" of living in South Korea.

Cheers!

-Lauren

P.S. - Sorry for my long-windedness.  I think Ali and I share this noble trait.

P.P.S - Throughout my life, my best groups of girlfriends have always been in units of four.  Sara, Kerry and Jenn in junior high and high school.  April, Kiley and Leslie when I moved to Newfoundland.  And now Laura, Sara and Alison in Whole30land!  :wub:

Ha! I can't not be long-winded. I have things to say!! :)

Good idea with making my own applesauce, and carrying some sweet potato bites with me. Anything soft and mushy will do. I might look into baby food packets too, sans sugar of course! I have not eaten baby food for many years (probably 30 or so, since I am 32!) but I could try it out! Has anyone had baby food as an adult? Was it good? Would you recommend it as an easy, mushy during-a-long-run food?

About my religion: I grew up Baptist but kindof fell away from the church a bit in college. I still believed in God and Jesus, but was not very active in going to church. Then I found out about this great religion, Mormonism! I converted to Mormonism because I love it. It makes me a better person. I believe that we have on Earth today the same church structure that we had in ancient times, with prophets and apostles, and that they are the mouthpieces of God and help us by giving us modern-day revelation and guidance. I have read the Book of Mormon a few times now, and it brings me closer to God. I don't think that something that brings me closer to God could be false or made up. Therefore, I believe in the Book of Mormon and it's teachings. It's an interesting read. Thanks for asking. :)

Onto buttered squid. WHAT?!!!?!? Hahaha that is the funniest thing ever and ohmygosh you should totally try it! Is it fried? I am trying to imagine this tasty treat but can't wrap my head around it. I think reintroducing butter is fine. Do you eat a lot of ghee right now? I remember a post where you had a puddle of ghee, so I'm guessing yes ;) and can I just say this--how yummy is ghee!? I didn't know about it before my Whole 30 but it is dang good! Dang good! So yea, I totally think reintroing butter is fine. It's pure fat, so it won't wake up your sugar dragon, and it will give you a chance to experiment with dairy. And you should totally take a picture of this squid treat! For my amusement :)

I am also grateful for having met you three ladies. You are true friends. :)

One last thing for the evening. After watching the movie I started to question whether I should decrease my fruit consumption. The answer I came up with after a search online and after thinking about it myself is no, because fruit in its whole form is not the same as added sugar, which has been stripped of its fiber and fullness factor. After learning so much about fructose during the movie I looked online for a list of fruits that are high in fructose. I don't plan to omit fruits, even though I am sugar-free but I found a list of low-fructose fruits and high-fructose fruits here: https://iquitsugar.com/faqs/are-we-allowed-to-eat-fruit/

• Whole30 Certified Coach

Ali - love your signature line... :)  

If you like books but not articles try Gary Taubes Why We Get Fat.  I'm sure Brewer will have suggestions too, she seems to be quite the reader.  

Food for races: when I did my Spartan races (supers -so 8ish miles, 2ish hours) I carried a baggy with dates that I rolled in pink Himalayan salt.  I felt awesome.  If was the first time I'd used "real" food in an event.  Between my years doing half marathons, a half ironman, and 100s of miles of hiking I've figured out that the real key isn't just carbs for long events, its salt.  Being fat adapted means it will probably be even less about carbs for you - so find something with salt.  

Lauren - you HAVE to try the buttered squid.  I could care less (just kidding!) about your butter reintroduction but we all want to know what its like to eat buttered squid :)  

Sara - when I was in grad school for exercise science I was in a lab that did research about using diet and exercise to treat and manage Type 2 Diabetes.  Back then (2008 was the last time I really read the literature with any regularity) the predominating thought was that energy balance was key to favorable metabolic changes.  The data often showed that people saw great gains during active weight loss (blood glucose, insulin, triglycerides, etc) and exercise (the 6 weeks or so they worked out for the study) but even if they maintained their lowered weight their biomarkers tended to drift back towards their overweight baseline.  So my guess about the Twinkie diet is that he was in some sort of negative energy balance situation.  I'm not really sure how much the thinking about this question has changed in the last few years.  Really interesting stuff though!  And that whole calorie is a calorie thing is definitely not true - we all know that for sure now!

This is a gazillion times better than 4 logs.  That was just confusing.  For example, it was Laura who had the puddle of ghee, not me! 

I promise I will take a picture of the buttered squid.  I'm worried it might be sweetened somehow (Koreans sweeten everything), but I know how to slay that dragon.

I *just* finished reading Michael Pollan's "In Defense of Food" and I highly recommend it.  You might also like the book "Salt Sugar Fat: How the Food Giants Hooked Us" http://www.amazon.com/Salt-Sugar-Fat-Giants-Hooked/dp/0812982193.  My friend April read it and I trust her judgment.  I will read it soon (so much reading!  So many films to watch!).

If you want to get SUPER pissed off about marketing schemes done solely in the name of profit but in the guise of health, you might want to read about the Nestlé Infant Formula Marketing Scandal: https://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Professionalism/The_Nestl%C3%A9_Infant_Formula_Scandal

And while we might or might not choose to consume dairy, post-Whole30, here is another good read about the crazy industrial American food system: http://www.amazon.com/Milk-Money-Death-American-Dairy/dp/1611680271

Lauren - you HAVE to try the buttered squid.  I could care less (just kidding!) about your butter reintroduction but we all want to know what its like to eat buttered squid :)

:D

I'd be more upset if you said "I couldn't care less."  Because the fact that it's still possible for you to care less, means that you care.  Yes, I'm a grammar weirdo.  All kinds of weird over here!

Ok, last post for tonight...

Baby Formula!!! Oh my gosh this drives me crazy!  I got all fired up when I first started working in the NICU trying to find research that said that there was some alternative to the corn syrup solids and soy oil in Enfamil... there was literally no research supporting more "natural" alternatives for babies (besides breast milk).  One of the NICU moms wanted to start her own company making calorie supplements for premies (most premies actually need fortified breastmilk for extra calories) that was better than what is available but she realized there would basically be no market for it.  Sad.

Ali - I have read the books and watched the movies I mentioned, along with some others. Seriously, y'all, one day I am going to have to become a health coach or something bc this stuff has been my primary "hobby" (if you can call it that) for a long time now. I agree with Laura's suggestion of Gary Taubes' Why We Get Fat. Peter Attia is a colleague of Taubes' (they have started an organization called Nutrition Science Initiative together to improve nutrition & obesity research and to find causes, cures and ways to prevent obesity) and there is a terrific TED talk of his that you can google and watch, too.

Lauren - I wrote a few things to you on my log, so pop back over there at some point to read what I wrote. After tomorrow (Day 30!!!), I'll make this my main place to post. Wow - buttered squid! I can't wait to hear about this. It seems as good a time as any to try butter reintro (or all dairy - I've forgotten what your approach is going to be). I'm a grammar nerd, too! :)

Laura - I read a bit more about the Twinkie guy. First of all, you are right that he had a big calorie deficit. Second of all, apparently the media picked up on the fact that he ate Twinkies and ran with that fact, but the truth is, he was not exclusively eating Twinkies. According to the Fat Head website, here are two sample days for the diet with a calorie approximation:

November 12
Pumpkin Spice Donut
Coffee
Protein shake
Onion Rings
Steak
Broccoli
Macaroni and Cheese
Baked potato casserole
Dynasty Lychees
Baby carrots
Peanut butter cookies
2% milk

October 29
Hostess cupcake
Coffee
Sesame chicken
Teriyaki chicken
Egg roll
Chicken nachos
Broccoli
Lemon zingers
Kit Kat

Calories: 1457

Fat (g): 61 Carbohydrate (g): 173 Protein (g): 54

Not health food by any standard, but not exclusively Twinkies as the media would portray. It's all about headlines, I guess. Just like it's all about the Almighty Dollar for the food companies. Sigh.

Ok - that's about all for tonight. I'm going to pull out my ISWF and think on my reintros plan. And maybe try to write my success story for this Whole 30. :) Wo-hoo!!!

Littleg--Good idea on salt during a run! I haven't tried that yet, but will try the salted dates this Saturday. I've got a shorter long run coming up--just 9 miles this Saturday! Woohoo!

Everyone--I just requested 4-5 books from the public library based on your suggestions--thanks y'all! I'm excited to read them all, and watch those movies! I thought about buying them but books are pricy, even the kindle versions. Free public library to the rescue!

Wow, we have only been on this forum for a day and we already have a mascot and a book! We are on it!

Sara, congrats on finishing your Whole 30 tomorrow! I'm excited to hear your success story, even though I have been learning of your successes all along! :)

Mmm...salted dates.

Speaking of the Twinkie guy, did you guys also hear about the guy who lost a bunch of weight eating ONLY McDonald's (http://www.today.com/health/man-loses-56-pounds-after-eating-only-mcdonalds-six-months-2D79329158).  Not that that's a bad thing - he had his students construct meals that met a lot of nutrient parameters beyond just calories.  Not the "optimal" way to eat but still "less bad" than what it could have been.  Some people really slammed him for it and said it was setting a bad example.  I actually thought it was good, to show that informed choices make all the difference and to give people a starting point in terms of just small dietary changes.

Anyone follow Nia Shanks?  She had some nice thoughts about this guy, and the important of meeting people where they are in terms of dietary changes.  Whole30 is a much more radical intervention.  Sadly, it doesn't work for everyone because it's simply too much of a stretch for them.  But maybe someone could work their way up to the Whole30 level.  http://www.niashanks.com/teacher-lost-weight-eating-mcdonalds/

She also is anti-30 day fixes of any kind, because she makes good points that it's silly and almost useless to eat a certain way if it's only going to be for thirty days.  People are mistaken if they think the Whole30 is really just a thirty day program (and she has never said, at least not that I'm aware of, that Whole30 is just another thirty day program).  The real key is NOT the thirty days, it's the reintroductions afterwards and the lifetime of learning to eat AFTERWARDS in a way that honours YOU (which is of course exactly what we SDS are all about!). 

I sort of cringe when I hear about people doing endless Whole30s (or 7, 8 or more), with serious re-bound weight gain in between.  (Remind me of this when I do my tenth Whole30).  It's like you're really not GETTING it if you keep coming back to it and treating it like a Weight Watchers or whatever.  Mind you, I also get that there is value in repeating it and you can't "get it" all the first time.  I'll definitely be doing more Whole30s to fine-tune and improve as I learn more along the way with you wonderful women.

Sara - congrats on the imminent Day30!  And I DID read your posts!  I'm so happy that you shared Holy Yoga with me!  I was always a bit nervous about doing it because of its roots in Eastern religions, and I didn't want it to be an "anti-Christian" practice.  You've solved that perfectly for me!

And yes, children: blessing and a challenge.  It's hard to keep that balanced viewpoint and still honour people around you with differing fertility issues.

Laura & Ali - I loved breastfeeding (but also found it really, REALLY hard, especially at first.  And go figure that it wasn't a miraculous weight-loss suggestion for me, the way it is for some women; similar to my Whole30 experience).  My son was EPF for 6 months and finally weaned at 18 mos.  I used to get seriously mad about infant formula and had a very hard time making negative value judgments about women who didn't even attempt to breastfeed.  (My apologies in advance Sara, if this applies to you in any way!  I've since learned to soften my stance on a lot of things, re: parenting and feeding children).  I'm super pumped to offer resources for that particular topic when you ladies get to that point in your lives!  Oooh, and I also did hypno-birthing.  I'm pretty jazzed up about natural childbirth, too.  But that is WAY ahead, and might require its own separate log.  Stick to the sugar Lauren, stick to the sugar.

:)

I sort of cringe when I hear about people doing endless Whole30s (or 7, 8 or more), with serious re-bound weight gain in between.  (Remind me of this when I do my tenth Whole30).  It's like you're really not GETTING it if you keep coming back to it and treating it like a Weight Watchers or whatever.  Mind you, I also get that there is value in repeating it and you can't "get it" all the first time.  I'll definitely be doing more Whole30s to fine-tune and improve as I learn more along the way with you wonderful women.

Sara - congrats on the imminent Day30!  And I DID read your posts!  I'm so happy that you shared Holy Yoga with me!  I was always a bit nervous about doing it because of its roots in Eastern religions, and I didn't want it to be an "anti-Christian" practice.  You've solved that perfectly for me!

And yes, children: blessing and a challenge.  It's hard to keep that balanced viewpoint and still honour people around you with differing fertility issues.

Laura & Ali - I loved breastfeeding (but also found it really, REALLY hard, especially at first.  And go figure that it wasn't a miraculous weight-loss suggestion for me, the way it is for some women; similar to my Whole30 experience).  My son was EPF for 6 months and finally weaned at 18 mos.  I used to get seriously mad about infant formula and had a very hard time making negative value judgments about women who didn't even attempt to breastfeed.  (My apologies in advance Sara, if this applies to you in any way!  I've since learned to soften my stance on a lot of things, re: parenting and feeding children).  I'm super pumped to offer resources for that particular topic when you ladies get to that point in your lives!  Oooh, and I also did hypno-birthing.  I'm pretty jazzed up about natural childbirth, too.  But that is WAY ahead, and might require its own separate log.  Stick to the sugar Lauren, stick to the sugar.

:)

I think returning to the Whole 30 can be a reset for people if they find themselves down a road they don't want to be on. I don't think it's meant to be a "diet" to return to just to lose weight, but like you said at different points, we are ready to learn new things that we may not have been open to during a previous Whole 30. 

My experience with breast feeding was also *very very very* rough at the beginning (I will spare you the details, but it was worse than giving birth for me) with each of my four kids. And it's not cheaper than formula when you spend the first two weeks seeing a lactation consultant every day for who knows how much per hour. But I am glad I stuck with it and it gave me peace of mind when my kids had different things come up later that I had done everything I knew to do to give them a healthy start. 

Ali - you are going to enjoy all the reading and watching you have planned! Post some of the highlights for us, ok?

Today is my Day 30!!! I'm still posting a little over in my Whole 30 log as I figure out my plan for going forward. :)

Gang I had a bad day yesterday... :(  

Short version: bad news at fertility clinic, NICU assignments of babies that weren't really wanted, maybe too many days of trying so hard to not eat all the candy around... pigged out at home last night.  On the bright side since we have no real off-plan food in our house the worst of it was rice cakes with butter... but I can still put together a decent binge of W30 foods.  I even had almonds, wtf?  Small victory in the middle... I somehow found a bar of Green and Black's White Chocolate that had survived a pantry cleanse... I took one serving, ate it and realized, this isn't even that good.  It got tossed with 3/4 of the bar left.  Laura: 1, Binge: all the points - 1.  

Oddly enough, there wasn't much sugar involved and I feel less post-binge than I often do... 

Sorry I ruined our thread :(

But this really makes me realize that life is still going to suck sometimes.  So where do I/we go... hot bath, cup of tea, mani/pedi... boo - right now those won't work for me.  So how do I make them work?  How do I find something that feels as good as binge eating?  Maybe I should have just posted on here and asked for help when I was considering giving in - because I guess even I know the real way out of this is to just not do it... 

Laura - sorry to read of your rough day, especially the bad news from the fertility clinic, and subsequent binge last night. Listen, this is the safe place for honesty and asking for help, so no talk of "ruining" our thread. What would be the point of a thread that didn't allow for the truth?

I think the fact that there wasn't much sugar involved and that you notice you feel different today due to that is an important factor.

Also, I hear you - when I go to food to comfort me after something happens, and then evaluate later and people suggest taking a bath or getting a mani/pedi or the like - WHATEVER!!! That is not how this whole emotional eating thing works. It just isn't. If I had the presence of mind to stop and take a bath, I wouldn't be in the emotional eating situation. 

I do think if we can realize that we're on the edge and post here, that could be a help since we know that the others "get it." (I promise I will never suggest a bath!!!) Ultimately, it seems like it comes down to two things (at least that I can see right now).

1. the physiology of the brain - making sure that we don't eat things that set us up for failure chemically/hormonally speaking

2. retraining the brain that food won't solve our problems

Hang in there. One foot in front of the other as you process all that's going on in your world and get back on track.

I think returning to the Whole 30 can be a reset for people if they find themselves down a road they don't want to be on. I don't think it's meant to be a "diet" to return to just to lose weight, but like you said at different points, we are ready to learn new things that we may not have been open to during a previous Whole 30. 

I agree with you two.  Doing a Whole 30 over and over again in an attempt to use it as part of a yo-yo diet is not a good thing, but I also agree that occasionally incorporating a Whole 7 or Whole 9 (or even another Whole 30) when necessary is very helpful.  Every Whole 30 I do, I have a different focus or perspective, and I learn something new every time.  I also think that what I learn depends on when I do my Whole 30 as well.  Doing a Whole 30 over the holidays taught me so much!  I learned that I can get through the holidays (and more than get through, I can thrive!) without eating sweets, treats, pastries, etc.  I learned that I can feel amazing while still eating healthy foods and enjoy other things about the holiday season besides the bad foods that are ever-present.  I learned some valuable binge and cravings coping mechanisms.  I learned that how great I am feeling now would not have occurred without the Whole 30.  I learned that I don't need to wait until the New Year to make a healthy goal, or try to form new habits.  I don't know about you ladies, but I am not a big fan of New Year's Resolutions in general.  If someone uses it to better themselves, that's great, but it just seems like an 'all or nothing' approach.  People come up with hefty resolutions and when they mess up then they think they have ruined their resolutions, so why keep going?  Nobody is perfect and to attempt to complete a perfect New Years' Resolution is just not doable.  It's not going to happen.  OK, I'm off my soap box now.

Oddly enough, there wasn't much sugar involved and I feel less post-binge than I often do... 

I think the fact that there wasn't much sugar involved and that you notice you feel different today due to that is an important factor.

I think you make some interesting points here, that a binge sans sugar yields better hangover effects compared to a sugar binge.  Sugar is so awful.

I, too, sometimes find it hard to determine how to deal with stress when I want to eat everything in my fridge and cabinets.  I am not a bath person.  I'm sorry, but sitting in a pool of my own filth doesn't sound very comforting to me.  I don't drink alcohol, so I can't use that as a crutch.  Really, going on a run or taking a nap are my two stress relievers.  I think you just have to find what works best for you.  Can you go get a massage, or ask your husband for a back rub with scented candles and soothing music?  How about calling a friend and venting your frustrations to her over the phone?  You could watch a funny movie that you enjoy.  Unless you're going to go crazy and spend tons of money, you could go shopping (but don't give into the nasty foods at the food court or that Cinnabon.  Goodness knows what 's actually in those foods.)  And yes, I would recommend coming onto this forum log, posting to get some help, and I have a feeling that one of the three of us will be here to help.  And if we are not here immediately, there are others on the forum or moderators who can offer good advice to help talk you off of your sugar binge ledge.  Here's an example of that: the other evening, I wrote a post saying that I am planning to do some paleo baking.  All of a sudden, three different people had responded saying 'I thought you were trying to be sugar free, what's going on?!'  That made me think.  And after some serious self heart-to-heart introspection, I realized that ohmygosh, they're absolutely right.  And (I'm sorry, Lauren), but hearing about Lauren's paleo baking yielding similar results to real sugar/butter/flour baking really helped me too.  Immersing myself in healthy eating habits, reaching out to others, really having serious heart-to-hearts with myself and getting down to the 'why do I need this' answer, and learning from others have really helped me conquer my sugar dragon.  That being said, I have no doubt that I will need help fighting off the sugar cravings in the future.  So don't go anywhere, girls, I will need you on standby!

Archived