Sugar Dragon Slayers

littleg

• Replies 440
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Y'all, I just got a talking to in the athletes forum out there. I think I'll be staying safe and sound in this forum. :ph34r:

Nah, they are just required to stick to certain guidelines -- whether those are appropriate for everyone or not. Don't sweat it. There are a lot of people here who cannot imagine forgoing their fruits & starchy veggies -- and you know what? That's their choice. It is your choice if you want to experiment and decide that you feel better without them. A Whole 30 is a Whole 30, no matter how you slice it.

Keto/Whole 30 just means eating protein + veggie + fat ... With more emphasis on fat, and (for me) no starchy carbs or fruit. It's not an official "Whole 30 program" -- it's a mix of the two.

Well, then this is basically what I'm doing now, but I'd just remove my sweet potatoes.  Those are the only starchy carbs I have, because carrots, potatoes, beets are not good for me...I can tell they set off my sugar cravings.   Along with nuts and nut butters and fruit.   I'm following now what you all are doing!   I'd be on board with this, and I'll start looking at some of your all's earliers posts.   I know for sure I need to add more fat anyways, I'm feeling it.  With limited carbs, I'm running on fumes if I don't eat enough fat.  I learned that quickly...like on day 2!  

Sweet - I'll follow along with the group and try this out, too!  Thanks for the info!!!   

Lol... Neurotic question. Yes. :D

For the purposes of a Whole 30, avocado is considered an excellent fat source. I think it can also be considered a fruit/veggie. It's technically a fruit. Lots of fiber & TONS of other health benefits, too. So sad that they upset my stomach. I can do ~some~ but I have to limit it.

There is a great website that tells all about the benefits of avocados. They are a nutritional powerhouse!

I would not worry about the carbs in avocado, Ali. I know Jimmy Moore doesn't like for people to figure "net carbs," but in this case, it makes more sense to me to subtract out the fiber. I doubt the carbs in avocado end up having the same type of impact on blood sugar levels that many other foods would.

But really, just EAT avocado and don't worry about it (at least once you settle in, which hopefully won't take too long :) ). 

• Whole30 Certified Coach

Yes, I use the NOW brand of MCT ~ and I do not usually need my brown pants.   :lol:   

It's like a super concentrated coconut oil, though, you know ~ which has a cleansing, healing, detoxifying effect.  So, some folks really need to ease into it.

The best consistency we've gotten for mayo has been a mix of about 1/2 - 3/4 MCT and 1/2 Trader Joe's light olive.  I also use the avocado oil from Costco sometimes, but it does turn out a little more runny for some reason.  For a long time now, we have all used it with at least 1/2 MCT, and no problems.  THAT particular batch I had used ALL MCT... and for as much mayo as I consumed that day, that may have been a bit much.

What TJ's oil are you using?  I just made it with avocado oil - came out about the same as my 100% avocado oil batches - thick enough but not thick like olive oil.  Does the 50% MCT oil dilute down the taste of the olive oil?

Just googled this.  Maybe I'll try the kalamata one next time.  

I'm sorry you're having GI issues!!  Let me ask you, was yesterday the first time you used the oil in recent days?  I read recently that starting with just 1 tsp. might be a good suggestion because it can be very strong.  I put 1 tsp. in my Crio bru this morning because I am scared of this very issue.  I have to say--I did not enjoy the cup of CB that I had this morning with the MCT oil in it.  It left a bitter taste in my mouth.  I tried to drink another cup without the oil in it but just was not enjoying it.  At. All. Bitter, bitter! 

Hey Ali - yes, yesterday was the first time I had used it since maybe September. At that time, I think I was using 2T. Guess I thought it would be ok to start back with 1T.

I agree starting with 1t is smart.

What I do (for taste & texture) is put the coffee (for you Crio Bru), MCT & coconut milk (for you ghee) in the blender so that it froths. It tastes fine that way, at least for me.

Sara ~ sorry to hear of your issues!   :(

Ali ~ do you think it tastes bitter to you because your taste buds are changing, or because you didn't use your usual coconut milk, or....?  Why so bitter?   :huh:   This may be a good thing, though, right?

Laura ~ I just have the TJ's bottle that says "imported olive oil" and is light in color.  I only use it for mayo, pretty much.

It sounds like TJ's is a good source of trustworthy olive oil. Good to know. Thanks, Laura, for that link!

Since I'm at home this morning, I thought I would take some time to write a little about something I've just started this week. I'm participating in a Bible study/small group called "Weigh Less to Feed More." Here's the brief tag line explanation of what it is: "Weigh Less to Feed More is a faith-based, weight-loss/wellness ministry that teaches people how to live healthy and whole lives while we love and serve others well."

It's the idea of becoming free from whatever weighs us down - not simply pounds. A friend of mine has recently found some freedom from addiction and has become trained to lead this study. I also know the author, Alisa Keeton. She is an awesome, passionate, fireball of a woman. :) She has some fun workouts on YouTube if you ever need something to do at home. The program doesn't prescribe a particular way of eating or a precise way to workout, but rather helps participants look at the underlying things which drive us to overeat or control too tightly what we eat or the myriad issues people can have around body-image, eating and exercise. 

I'm excited about it since my faith is a central part of my life. If the changes I'm making are going to be on-going, they will be connected to my faith, so I need to invest some time understanding those connections. (They already are, but further investment into understanding how is a good thing for me to do.) I'm also looking forward to serving others, which is a piece of the experience. I don't know all the details about that yet, but I'll write more in the future as I learn. I'm hoping participating in this group will help me figure out how I may use the experiences and knowledge that I have in the wellness-arena for the benefit of others in the future. 

It feels like my GI tract is settling down a little. Whew. I'm still planning to stay home until I have to take one of the boys to the orthodontist this afternoon. Can't be too careful in these regards. :)

Ali ~ do you think it tastes bitter to you because your taste buds are changing, or because you didn't use your usual coconut milk, or....?  Why so bitter?   :huh:   This may be a good thing, though, right?

I'm not sure why it tasted bitter.  I don't add anything to my CB, not coconut milk, nothing.  Today was the first day that I added anything to it and the first day it has tasted bitter, so I have to attribute it to the MCT oil.  But yes, you are so right--this is a good thing.  I still have the bitter aftertaste in my mouth right now, HOURS LATER!  I have no desire for another cup of CB.  I'm going with it. :)

You guys, I've got to tell you this.  I was talking to a co-worker earlier who told me that his son drinks one bottle (just ONE bottle--keep that in mind) of regular Mountain Dew every day.  He told me that he checked the nutrition label to determine the amount of sugar his son was taking in from that one 20 oz. drink. 

77 GRAMS!!

From one 20 oz. soda.  That's almost 20 teaspoons of sugar.  From one soda. :blink: 

You guys, I've got to tell you this.  I was talking to a co-worker earlier who told me that his son drinks one bottle (just ONE bottle--keep that in mind) of regular Mountain Dew every day.  He told me that he checked the nutrition label to determine the amount of sugar his son was taking in from that one 20 oz. drink. 

77 GRAMS!!

From one 20 oz. soda.  That's almost 20 teaspoons of sugar.  From one soda. :blink: 

What?! Reminds me of That Sugar Film and that poor kid's teeth. Yuck.

You guys, I've got to tell you this.  I was talking to a co-worker earlier who told me that his son drinks one bottle (just ONE bottle--keep that in mind) of regular Mountain Dew every day. 

That makes me nauseous!! You should share that 'That Sugar Film' to him. They talk specifically about Mountain Dew, and that poor boy that had all of his teeth decayed. Then have him drink 20 tsp of sugar in water like the producer did! That's just awful we are making products with that much sugar!!!

Sara ~ I don't know if TJ's is a quality olive oil or not. I am suspicious of most. But that is what I started buying when I needed a "light" for homemade mayo.

I don't remember where I first learned of the problems with the olive oil industry, or who pointed me in the direction of that book. I read through the reviews and it has been in my cart for a long time.

What I learned is that many olive oils are not really olive oil at all. I found a link to a study that was done -- and most of the recommended brands were from small, independent companies... You know, farms and such. But surprisingly, Costco's "Kirkland" brand of EVOO made the list. It is actually what it is supposed to be. So that is all we buy now for EVOO ~ because it is trusted and readily available.

Still, we don't use it much. The kids like it with garlic salt on a baked potato, and sometimes in a recipe or as salad dressing.

Alison ~ I want to make sure you are not avoiding the athlete section altogether. I thought about you a lot last night & this morning, and I made a big post over there. I understand if you want to kick me out of the group right about now... But just remember: I post because I care.

Re: olive oil. The reviews say that, unless we are doing our research and specifically seeking it out -- EVOO is most likely not virgin at all.

From one of the (many) reviews: "If it's bland and odorless, it has been refined, blended with seed oils, deodorized to fake you out, and very possibly even colorized to make it look greener and more authentic."

The things they get away with in the US and are not required to put on the label are appalling. I hope to have more posts about that soon.

For anyone interested in olive oil fraud: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Olive_oil_regulation_and_adulteration

"After testing by Australian Olive Association (AOA) in 2012, every imported brand of extra-virgin olive oil fell below the standard that would be required for AOA certification".

We produce a lot of olives locally, so very few imports (which aren't certified) are popular against high quality local products.

Hey Sugar Dragon Slayers - I just wanted to share a victory/something that has been working well for me.

Like Ali, I was a baking fiend prior to Whole30.  I was constantly researching new recipes, and logging them in MyFitnessPal, and baking and eating several new sweets every week.  And these ran the gamut from SAD to gluten-free/grain-free/Paleo/low-fat/low-carb/high-protein - any specialty diet there was, I had a recipe for!

I have replaced weekend baking sessions with weekend cooking/healthy food prep sessions.  Now the recipes I research are Whole30 (like Mel Joulwan and Nomnompaleo, etc.).  And I realized that I feel just as satisfied by the creative process of cooking as I did with baking!

And I already shared that I stopped following dessert bloggers.

Next step is to deactivate my Instagram and Twitter accounts.  Pinterest is the final stronghold.

Cheers,

-Lauren

The right answer is that we can put "sugar" in quotation marks all day long ~ but the body does not see it in quotation marks.  It sees sugar, and the reactions in the body take place accordingly.

Point taken, I agree that sugar is sugar but what I was referring to is that there can be significant variation as to the effects of sugar on the body from person to person in regards to such factors as activity level, hormone makeup, medication, and meal timing to name a few. The sugar buffered in a piece a fruit by the other nutrients and fiber eaten after a protein and fat rich meal with plenty of leafy vegetables is not equal to scarfing down a bag of M&M's on an empty stomach while you are frantically trying to finish a work project by a fast approaching deadline.

Archived