Sugar Dragon Slayers

littleg

• Whole30 Certified Coach

Ali - did you ever learn about GLUT4 transporters in school?  They are glucose transporters inside the cell that are brought to the cell surface by insulin or exercise to bring glucose into the cell.  One of the things I just read in Keto Clarity was a researcher saying "what if we turned everything we knew on its head and thought of the need for cells to have a transporter for glucose as a way of keeping glucose OUT of the cell rather than a way of getting glucose IN the cell".  My masters was in diabetes research - I knew more about GLUT4 transporters and signaling pathways than I cared to - and I NEVER heard of anyone thinking of them like that.  Blew my mind.  

• Replies 440
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not eaten all by itself, it's not!

Interesting that just looking at carb-high foods actually causes us to secrete insulin (making us hungry) in response.  That's an additional response above and beyond the fact that seeing a trigger food causes us to want a dopamine hit.  Goes to show it's even more important to have those foods out of sight and out of mind!  Mind you, my eyeballs barely register all of the candy and processed snack food (crackers, chips, granola bars, cookies, biscuits, etc.) available in our office kitchen.  I just head for the dedicated "lunch box" fridge with my good stuff.  I think I also mentioned that they provide Coke, Diet Coke, Coke Zero and other carbonated and/or sweetened beverages for us, free of charge, along with the goodies.  It's considered a "perk."  We asked for healthier food (fresh fruit, mixed nuts, etc.) but we were told it was too expensive and that lifting heavy cartons of fruit (vs. boxes of snacks) was dangerous for the delivery employees - yet somehow they manage the pallets of soft drinks.  Yeesh!  Aren't you glad I spared showing you all of those goodies in the video of my office?

I am still thinking about the fruit thing--whether it is healthy or not.  I am looking into the fructose load of various fruits and it looks like berries are probably the healthiest of the fruits.  They have the least sugar and carbs, and lots of water and fiber.  I may transition to eating more berries with my meals, rather than bananas and apples.  I am not carb-phobic (yet), especially since I do so much cardio, but I'm gradually going towards 'healthier' carbs.  This "Why we get fat" book is so beneficial and helpful and informative.

Good for you for looking past the break-room snacks and sodas!  That is crap that they can't provide healthier alternatives.  I bet they think the granola bars are the healthy options.  Oy.  It is sad that healthy options are more expensive, so that the default free foods provided by companies are the cheap and dirty foods and drinks.  Every Friday at my work breakfast is provided free of charge.  It's so nice, but I have never partaken of the free food Friday (FFF) because it's either an omelet station with CHEESE, a waffle or French toast station, fresh fruit, pre-scrambled eggs in a bin (no telling what is involved in the preparation of that, but I'm guessing it comes from a carton), bacon, sausage, and cubed potatoes.  The staff love it and it really is a perk of working at my job, but that doesn't mean it is healthy.  I could eat a compliant omelet with fresh fruit if I really wanted to participate.  I'm sure the bacon has sugar in it and I'm guessing the sausage has either additives, sulfites, or gluten in its casing.  Once again, I have no idea what is in the eggs. 

And speaking of having bad foods available at work, I thought it would get better after the holiday season ended.  In December we had baked goods, fudge, popcorn, etc. EVERYWHERE!  I was thinking that with the New Years Resolutions in January, things would get better.  Nope.  People are bringing their holiday leftover foods to work to get rid of it, so there are still all kinds of holiday goodies around the break room.  One of our co-workers is moving so there is a 'dessert and soda' party tomorrow. Dessert and soda.  On January 8.  Come on now. :blink:   In the past I would participate by bringing some sugary treat, but I have decided to stop contributing to the obesity epidemic.  Don't get me wrong--I want to bake something yummy and delicious even though I don't plan to eat it, but I am having a problem participating in the sugar addiction of this country so I'm not contributing.  Besides, I'm sure there will be enough sugar tomorrow without me providing anything.  Dessert and soda. 

Alison, I knew Taubes' book would be a good one.  I'm glad you are getting a lot out of it.

And I hope you can see, from what you are reading, which is new info to you -- that I was in no way trying to be harsh or judgmental about your banana & nut butter snack (which I know you are getting tired of talking about).   ;)

I do want people to enjoy their food -- of course I do.  

I also know what your goals are, and I've been where you are.  I know what a banana & nut butter combo does to your body, and it's nothing good.  I went through a period where I had those little packs of frozen Dole chocolate coated bananas with sunbutter EVERY night.  That was my "healthy" treat.  I was also trying to get really lean.  Based on what you are reading now -- do you think it helped?

Brewer--this book is eye-opening.  I still have the other two from the library that I plan to read after this one, and I am very much looking forward to reading those.  Yes, I am a nerd.  But I'm a healthy, informed nerd.  Taubes really tries to write for the layman, but he is so frikin' smart and knowledgeable in his field that it is still kindof taking a lot of brain cells to comprehend everything he is talking about.  And I have my graduate degree in nurse anesthesia from Duke University.  And it's still taking me a while to grasp what he is saying!!  Yeesh!  I have about 80 pages to go, and I think we are getting closer to his healthy recommendations.  I have a feeling my beloved butternut squash, sweet potatoes, and fresh fruits are not going to be on his healthy list.  :unsure:

I never thought you were giving me a hard time.  If I was defensive, I apologize.  I appreciate your input.  You've been there.  You're more advanced and experienced than I am.  It's a slow evolution for me from sugar- and carb-lover to Whole 30 lover to completely avoiding added sugars.  I know the more I learn, the more I will continue to evolve.

Your frozen chocolate banana with sun nut butter sounds yummy. Ha!  I still do think that eating something like that (maybe minus the chocolate coating) is healthier than processed sweets and treats made with chemicals, BUT it's still not best practice.  So, no I don't think that that snack is healthy or would lead to health and the desire to be lean.  The chocolate and fruit would lead to a blood sugar and insulin rise, and the sun nut butter would just perpetuate the sugar cravings.

I can't tell you how eager I am to continue to read and watch movies and learn more about nutrition.  Real nutrition--not USDA nutrition.  Thanks so much for the movie and book recommendations, friends! :)

Ali - did you ever learn about GLUT4 transporters in school?  They are glucose transporters inside the cell that are brought to the cell surface by insulin or exercise to bring glucose into the cell.  One of the things I just read in Keto Clarity was a researcher saying "what if we turned everything we knew on its head and thought of the need for cells to have a transporter for glucose as a way of keeping glucose OUT of the cell rather than a way of getting glucose IN the cell".  My masters was in diabetes research - I knew more about GLUT4 transporters and signaling pathways than I cared to - and I NEVER heard of anyone thinking of them like that.  Blew my mind.  

Hey Laura--I'm not too familiar with GLUT4.  I kindof glaze over when receptors and transporters on cell surfaces are talked about (unless they pertain specifically to anesthesia agents, of course.)

So, does the GLUT4 transporter both bring glucose into the cell if needed and release glucose if it's not needed??  What does the author say is the benefit of keeping glucose out of the cell?

Nope, just lets it in.  In diabetes research it is a "problem" if glucose can NOT get into the cell because then it is in the blood - so it was ALWAYS thought of as GLUT4 *should* be able to get to the cell membrane to do its job and get THE ALL IMPORTANT glucose into the cell... so when that researcher said "what if its a protective mechanism" because glucose shouldn't just be freely flowing into the cell it really made me think... wow, what if we have been thinking about this wrong.  

Does that make any sense?

Oh, but Ali -- the chocolate was a very thin coating, and it was 70% dark chocolate... Only 100 calories per packet... And bananas are healthy and I needed the carbs because I was very active, after all... And the sunbutter was unsweetened, oh AND -- for Lauren -- "it fit my macros" ... So it's all good, right?

On my phone, so I can't roll my eyes.

Rolling my eyes at all the crazy stops I've made along the way. But it's all part of the learning process. We gotta try things on and see what fits.

Brewer - I haven't seen your 18 minute video...

Ali - gee whiz - it's amazing the way we can come up with ways to promote sugar in our society!

Laura - interesting stuff on GLUT4. Keep us posted as you continue to process. Five pull-ups! Awesome!!!

Lauren -

I have compassion for you as you wrestle through body image issues and as you sort out how you want to proceed with your workouts and eating choices. I echo what Laura said about 1) the fact that you've been sick a bunch recently and 2) focusing at the things your body can DO rather than on what it looks like. But I am well-familiar with the challenge of putting that into practice. I wonder whether some hard data may help you - like weight and measurements. Now before everyone freaks - I'm not talking about obsessively weighing every day or anything. I'm thinking once a week or maybe once every two weeks. But you mentioned not being able to tell whether your observations were subjective or not. So if you had a baseline to compare of a couple of reasonable measurements - like scale weight, maybe a belly button and thigh circumference, that would help you to know whether you are seeing what is true or just feeling down in the dumps. Sometimes we can feel like we have a layer of blubber around our middle and it's just PMS talking. Just an idea. This would only be if you think it could help and not turn you into a numbers-obsessed fiend. You know yourself and how you might handle this.

Your food generally looks good. I'm realizing that sometimes I don't eat to W30 template, so I'm going to work on that. It seems like the nuts and that type thing (nut butter, coconut butter) sneak in really easily, and those things can add up when we are working on getting lean. That was the only thing that stood out to me on what you posted.

Hang in there, friend. I do believe W30 is a lot better way to eat than what you were doing before and that if you stay on this track, your body comp will improve, not get worse. 

This fits into the diabetes discussion, re: looking at things ass-backwards.  I am appalled when I think of what recommendations are still being given to Type 2 diabetics.  How many people are dying from complications each day, that are often completely avoidable.

I think this should be required watching in schools:

Nope, just lets it in.  In diabetes research it is a "problem" if glucose can NOT get into the cell because then it is in the blood - so it was ALWAYS thought of as GLUT4 *should* be able to get to the cell membrane to do its job and get THE ALL IMPORTANT glucose into the cell... so when that researcher said "what if its a protective mechanism" because glucose shouldn't just be freely flowing into the cell it really made me think... wow, what if we have been thinking about this wrong.  

Does that make any sense?

So it is a protective mechanism by the cell to have the GLUT4 transporter remove glucose from the bloodstream?  It is toxic to have glucose remain in the bloodstream, right?  That's why diabetes and insulin resistance are so bad--because either the glucose in the bloodstream cannot be taken into the cell OR there is just an overabundance of glucose in the bloodstream so that the cells can't be packed with further glucose.  Help me out here, diabetes expert!  :)

The cells -- which should be very sensitive to insulin because YES, having too much glucose in the bloodstream is toxic -- essentially become "deaf" or "resistant" to insulin's message (which, as you are learning, is: "store").

This drives blood glucose up, because it has nowhere to go, and the body continues to try to pump out more and more insulin ... but the cells are not listening ...

It's a bad scene.

Dr. Jason Fung talks about how prescribing insulin to a Type 2 diabetic is like pouring gasoline on a fire.  They do not have a problem of too little insulin... they have a problem of too much glucose.  I'm sure you can guess what the real answer is here.  :) 

Blah, another day at the gym, another day of body disgust and shame.  And I *get* that these feelings/thoughts/emotions are actually completely independent of how my body actually looks (in terms of weight/body composition).  You can CHOOSE body love/peace/acceptance now matter how big or small or thin or fat or lean you are.

"Eat more fat" everyone says.  "Trust your body" everyone says.  Well, so far that has just made me more fat.  And now unhappy on a regular basis.  It doesn't seem to matter what I take out of my diet (nut butter); I must be finding something else to overeat on.  Or maybe I truly am under-eating?  I have no idea.  Because the other side of the coin is that in a negative energy balance, it's pretty natural to feel at least SOME hunger.  I'm used to dealing with hunger.  The easiest thing for me to do is go to bed early and just try to sleep through to breakfast.

I guess it's good news that I'm still going to the gym and at least TRYING?  I'm just feeling very jealous right now of anyone who does a Whole30 and effortlessly sheds weight and fat.

Sigh. 

Boohoo, poor me.  I wish I could get to the bottom of this.  It seems to happen more often on upper body workout days, but I'm just as disgusted with the added body fat and lack of muscle definition in my lower body as I am in my upper body.  It has happened ON reintro days (dairy and today is oats) and it has also happened on Whole30 compliant days after reintros (corn).  Not enough data for a clear pattern.

I was extremely productive at work this morning.  So that's good news.

I'm sorry you are having some bad days, Lauren.  I do think it is good that you are still going to the gym and 'trying' as you put it.  It seems like you are really really trying.  It seems like you are taking on a lot right now.  You are trying to undo some of the aftermath of your illness (not being able to exercise during November and December as you would normally be doing), you are trying to reintroduce foods systematically and evaluate their effects, you are trying to avoid sugar and maintain your Whole 30 mentality, you are trying to get your family members to eat healthy as well, you are thinking about ketosis and inputting some of your information into MFP to determine your carb count, you are working full time at a busy job, you are taking care of a small child.  You might be doing more than you can sanely handle right now...and it is overwhelming, and you might be thinking why did I do this, it's not working, and let me just go back to what I know works for me (IIFYM, which basically sounds like starvation to me, I'm sorry, and MFP with the counting and the obsessing and the scrutinizing.)  Think about and remember why you did this Whole 30 in the first place.  What were your goals?  Was it just a quick-fix weight loss diet for 30 days at the start?  Has it evolved into more than that now?  Do you feel healthier now than you did before your Whole 30?  Do you feel the food freedom that comes with being able to determine what you will eat when you want to eat it, bypassing the chemical-laden foods and drinks in the break room?  Do you feel that your workouts are fueled?  Do you feel healthy and happy knowing that you are doing something good for yourself?  Think of all you have learned during your Whole 30.  Think of your NSVs.  And as women we know that weight and body composition is important.  We can't ignore weight, even though we should be focusing on our NSVs.  So, think about that.  Think about the fact that you completed the Whole 30 over the holidays.  Think about the fact that you completed one of the hardest programs out there and didn't give in once.  Think about the foods you would have eaten and since you were on the Whole 30, you did not eat them.  Think of the damage that you avoided doing to your body during your Whole 30, by refraining from those unhealthy foods.  Maybe the people who lose fat effortlessly on the Whole 30 and Paleo diets are the ones who have A LOT to lose.  These are the people who are obese and morbidly obese who have been surviving off of Cheetos and nachos and anything-ending-in-'O's for that matter, with a dusting of orange 'cheese.' You are not one of those people.  You are healthy.  You are fit.  You are strong.  You are not weak.  Food does not control you.  Body image is a tough cookie, especially for those of us with a history of negative body image and eating disorders (and you know I speak from personal experience there.)  Don't forget how much you have learned and grown physically, mentally, psychologically over the past 6 weeks--honestly, it's only been 6 weeks!!  You have grown and learned so much in this short amount of time!  You are more than your weight or body composition.

"Dessert and soda party" .... LMAO.

"Everybody bring their kleenexes and their blankets, too, because there will be meltdowns and naps later!"

:D

I KNOW!!!  How ridiculous!  I'll have a serving of sugar, with more sugar to wash it down.  Might as well start passing out insulin syringes while we're at it!

Oh, but Ali -- the chocolate was a very thin coating, and it was 70% dark chocolate... Only 100 calories per packet... And bananas are healthy and I needed the carbs because I was very active, after all... And the sunbutter was unsweetened, oh AND -- for Lauren -- "it fit my macros" ... So it's all good, right?

Rolling my eyes at all the crazy stops I've made along the way. But it's all part of the learning process. We gotta try things on and see what fits.

Totally. 

Rationalization and self-enabling.  I've never been guilty of those things. :P

Lauren -

I have compassion for you as you wrestle through body image issues and as you sort out how you want to proceed with your workouts and eating choices. I echo what Laura said about 1) the fact that you've been sick a bunch recently and 2) focusing at the things your body can DO rather than on what it looks like. But I am well-familiar with the challenge of putting that into practice. I wonder whether some hard data may help you - like weight and measurements. Now before everyone freaks - I'm not talking about obsessively weighing every day or anything. I'm thinking once a week or maybe once every two weeks. But you mentioned not being able to tell whether your observations were subjective or not. So if you had a baseline to compare of a couple of reasonable measurements - like scale weight, maybe a belly button and thigh circumference, that would help you to know whether you are seeing what is true or just feeling down in the dumps. Sometimes we can feel like we have a layer of blubber around our middle and it's just PMS talking. Just an idea. This would only be if you think it could help and not turn you into a numbers-obsessed fiend. You know yourself and how you might handle this.

Your food generally looks good. I'm realizing that sometimes I don't eat to W30 template, so I'm going to work on that. It seems like the nuts and that type thing (nut butter, coconut butter) sneak in really easily, and those things can add up when we are working on getting lean. That was the only thing that stood out to me on what you posted.

Hang in there, friend. I do believe W30 is a lot better way to eat than what you were doing before and that if you stay on this track, your body comp will improve, not get worse. 

Sara, I'll be honest.  I did kindof freak out when I read this!  Ha!  I just think that we are so much more than a number.  I think we would all agree on that. 

My concern with weighing ourselves is that it puts all of our focus and self-worth into that number.  Before we get on the scale, we have anxiety.  The number literally makes or breaks our day, no matter what other wonderful NSVs are happening for us.  If the number is good, then we have a good day.  If the number is bad, then we have a bad day.  We could have been feeling amazing 5 seconds earlier, but if that number is not what we thought it would be, we feel bad about it and all of a sudden we are failures and disappointments.  However, if you think weighing and measuring is helpful, then go for it!  That's your bike--not mine.

http://whole9life.com/2013/04/repost-break-up-with-your-scale/

Ali - for sure we are more than a number! I agree celebrating NSV's is an excellent approach. I just also think that PERHAPS Lauren could use some objective data to evaluate whether she is perceiving the changes in her body accurately or not. Sometimes our perceptions can be off when we are just eyeballing it. HOWEVER - everyone is different and for some, scales & measuring tapes take them down a bad road.

So like I said and like you said, it's just one idea out of many, not definitely something she should do. :) Only she knows herself in this arena, so she will have to evaluate and decide. Her bike: :)

On another topic, do you follow W30 on Instagram? I just saw that they are doing a Crio Brew giveaway!!! Wooo-hoooo! :)

On another topic, do you follow W30 on Instagram? I just saw that they are doing a Crio Brew giveaway!!! Wooo-hoooo! :)

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No, but it sounds like I should!  Seriously, if anyone needs more Crio Bru it's me. ;)

I'll have to find that link.  Thanks!

Thanks so much ladies for the encouragement and reminders.  It was JUST what I needed (and why I came here to whine; I knew you would GET it and also help me get OVER it.  My husband just rolls his eyes when I tell him I feel like a fat blob).

Lauren - ugh.  I am so sorry that those are the thoughts in your head right now. 

First - you've been really sick.  You probably lost some strength - it will come back if you get back into a regular routine.  

Second - body image stuff.  You are strong.  Your body can do some pretty amazing stuff.  When those self doubting thoughts pop into your head try really hard to use that good ol' upper brain and start thinking about ALL THE THINGS your body can do.  I would often get really frustrated with those feelings at crossfit.  I can't workout in just a sports bra - I have a layer of insulation most good female crossfitters don't have... that made me sad.  But then I would think about being pretty close to 40 (most of these girls are in their early 20s) and the fact that I can do 5 pull ups, deadlift over 200 lbs, run a 7:30 mile, hike up 3500 feet with 20 lbs on my back... all the amazing things that not a whole lot of people can do.  I look at my thighs sometimes and it brings tears to my eyes... they just will not EVER fit into size 6 jeans... but then when I wear shorts people will stop me and comment on my quads... when I truly stop the CRAZIES in my head I realize that my body is the only one I'll ever get and you know what... it isn't so bad.  AND THEN... I start thinking more positive things.  And then I look in the mirror and see my strong quads and strong upper back and less of the 10lbs of body fat that in an ideal world would evaporate.  Don't hate your body.  Thank it.  For realz.  

Thank you.  YES.  I was thinking I might need to go running outside for a few weeks and focus on how my body feels and moves and just enjoy the natural scenery vs. being in a gym surrounded by mirrors and constantly reminded by how much less I can lift right now.  Except that I prefer lifting to running!

The only problem with IIFYM was that it "worked" (sort of, in a one-dimensional, physique only, never mind the health and mental impacts and absence of long-term sustainability kind of way).  You COULD eat that kind of stuff and still lose weight and body fat (in the short term - never mind that it was probably damaging to long-term overall HEALTH).  Patience is not one of my virtues.  But yes, when a consistent WholeLauren lifestyle gives me mental clarity and food freedom and a great body over the long term, remind me of this post and how IIFYM can simply never measure up!

Brewer - I haven't seen your 18 minute video...

Ali - gee whiz - it's amazing the way we can come up with ways to promote sugar in our society!

Laura - interesting stuff on GLUT4. Keep us posted as you continue to process. Five pull-ups! Awesome!!!

Lauren -

Hang in there, friend. I do believe W30 is a lot better way to eat than what you were doing before and that if you stay on this track, your body comp will improve, not get worse

Thanks for your thoughts, Sara.  The good news is that I've learned that I AM a numbers-obsessed fiend.  And the scale would just make me miserable.  Even if it was down or steady, I would consider that proof of lost muscle mass and added body fat.  Now, to combat that, I could start taking ALL of the circumference measurements I was taking before (shoulders, chest, biceps, waist, hips, quads, calves and neck) but I KNOW that would be crazy-making.  Not to mention the calipers.

I'm still resisting the urge to CUT fat from my diet (although I did not replace the JAR of coconut butter; bought more packets instead, and I'm prioritizing macadamia nuts over other nuts like pecans and almonds).  If anything, I'm adding fat now and doing a little foray into the keto world.  This is Day 3 of no fruit and there will be NO starchy carbs today (yesterday obviously had the oatmeal).

The way my clothes fit and the amount of fat that I can grab with my hand tells me that I'm moving backward before I move forward.  But today, after all the love, that's okay.  Sometimes we have to do that.  I'm happy my backward slide from IIFYM (finished October 31) was into Whole30land (started Nov 6) and not SADland!

I'm sorry you are having some bad days, Lauren.  I do think it is good that you are still going to the gym and 'trying' as you put it.  It seems like you are really really trying.  It seems like you are taking on a lot right now.  You are trying to undo some of the aftermath of your illness (not being able to exercise during November and December as you would normally be doing), you are trying to reintroduce foods systematically and evaluate their effects, you are trying to avoid sugar and maintain your Whole 30 mentality, you are trying to get your family members to eat healthy as well, you are thinking about ketosis and inputting some of your information into MFP to determine your carb count, you are working full time at a busy job, you are taking care of a small child.  You might be doing more than you can sanely handle right now...and it is overwhelming, and you might be thinking why did I do this, it's not working, and let me just go back to what I know works for me (IIFYM, which basically sounds like starvation to me, I'm sorry, and MFP with the counting and the obsessing and the scrutinizing.)  Think about and remember why you did this Whole 30 in the first place.  What were your goals?  Was it just a quick-fix weight loss diet for 30 days at the start?  Has it evolved into more than that now?  Do you feel healthier now than you did before your Whole 30?  Do you feel the food freedom that comes with being able to determine what you will eat when you want to eat it, bypassing the chemical-laden foods and drinks in the break room?  Do you feel that your workouts are fueled?  Do you feel healthy and happy knowing that you are doing something good for yourself?  Think of all you have learned during your Whole 30.  Think of your NSVs.  And as women we know that weight and body composition is important.  We can't ignore weight, even though we should be focusing on our NSVs.  So, think about that.  Think about the fact that you completed the Whole 30 over the holidays.  Think about the fact that you completed one of the hardest programs out there and didn't give in once.  Think about the foods you would have eaten and since you were on the Whole 30, you did not eat them.  Think of the damage that you avoided doing to your body during your Whole 30, by refraining from those unhealthy foods.  Maybe the people who lose fat effortlessly on the Whole 30 and Paleo diets are the ones who have A LOT to lose.  These are the people who are obese and morbidly obese who have been surviving off of Cheetos and nachos and anything-ending-in-'O's for that matter, with a dusting of orange 'cheese.' You are not one of those people.  You are healthy.  You are fit.  You are strong.  You are not weak.  Food does not control you.  Body image is a tough cookie, especially for those of us with a history of negative body image and eating disorders (and you know I speak from personal experience there.)  Don't forget how much you have learned and grown physically, mentally, psychologically over the past 6 weeks--honestly, it's only been 6 weeks!!  You have grown and learned so much in this short amount of time!  You are more than your weight or body composition.

:wub: You are not one of those people.  You are healthy.  You are fit.  You are strong.  You are not weak.  Food does not control you. 

Ali, sending you a great big hug over the internet.  Thank you!  I think we should ALL print this and hang it somewhere.  Maybe even a tattoo!  And your analysis of IIFYM was spot-on.

Sara, I'll be honest.  I did kindof freak out when I read this!  Ha!  I just think that we are so much more than a number.  I think we would all agree on that. 

My concern with weighing ourselves is that it puts all of our focus and self-worth into that number.  Before we get on the scale, we have anxiety.  The number literally makes or breaks our day, no matter what other wonderful NSVs are happening for us.  If the number is good, then we have a good day.  If the number is bad, then we have a bad day.  We could have been feeling amazing 5 seconds earlier, but if that number is not what we thought it would be, we feel bad about it and all of a sudden we are failures and disappointments.  However, if you think weighing and measuring is helpful, then go for it!  That's your bike--not mine.

http://whole9life.com/2013/04/repost-break-up-with-your-scale/

That is/was SO me!  I got better at my emotional response by applying Cognitive Behavourial Theraphy techniques.  Getting on the scale consistently for ten months wasn't all bad.  Neither were all the measurements and photo-taking.  All data.  Objective, scientific data.  Like Brewer said, just stops along the way.

Oatmeal day was uneventful, other than my self-loathing (and I can't conclusively blame that on the oats, not yet).  No gut impacts and no increased cravings.  It seems safer than corn, as long as I treat it as a savoury item vs. sweet.

My new theory is about coffee.  I think it's making me "high" on the days I do drink it.  I deliberately chose to have some this morning and heck it's leg day so I should naturally be feeling better than upper body day, right? :D

Thanks again!

-Lauren

P.S. - I may have conveniently failed to mention that yesterday was Day 2 of my monthly cycle.  That couldn't be helping.  Again, didn't send me to carbs!  Keto here I come!

Lauren - ok, good that you know yourself well enough to decline to weigh & measure. The way clothes fit is a good way to tell more objectively if your body is changing for the better or for the worse than just eyeballing it.

I just saw what Brewer posted to you on her thread about the carbs in things like nuts & coconut butter. Interesting. It's definitely something to consider. I need to look at that, myself.

So it is a protective mechanism by the cell to have the GLUT4 transporter remove glucose from the bloodstream?  It is toxic to have glucose remain in the bloodstream, right?  That's why diabetes and insulin resistance are so bad--because either the glucose in the bloodstream cannot be taken into the cell OR there is just an overabundance of glucose in the bloodstream so that the cells can't be packed with further glucose.  Help me out here, diabetes expert!  :)

The mainstream thinking is GLUT4 is to let glucose in.  T2D is when insulin binding to its receptor (which signals GLUT4 to go to the cell membrane) is no longer recognized... thus T2D are hyperinsulinemic and hyperglycemic.  The pancreas keeps pumping out the insulin to try to get blood sugar down, not knowing that the muscle cells just don't "hear" the insulin.  Thus, it was always thought of as a failure of the GLUT4 signaling pathway in T2D... but maybe this was actually the bodies way of preventing oxidative overdrive of the cell... Our bodies seem to always have these protective mechanisms built in (swelling - take motrin - make it go away! fever - take acetopmetaphin - drop that fever!).  Wouldn't it be crazy if all this time we were trying to undo the cell's way of protecting itself from too much glucose?!

This fits into the diabetes discussion, re: looking at things ass-backwards.  I am appalled when I think of what recommendations are still being given to Type 2 diabetics.  How many people are dying from complications each day, that are often completely avoidable.

I think this should be required watching in schools:

Love the video, Brewer.  Thanks for sharing.  My favorite phrases: "carbohydrate toxicity" and "carbohydrate resistance."

:wub: You are not one of those people.  You are healthy.  You are fit.  You are strong.  You are not weak.  Food does not control you. 

Ali, sending you a great big hug over the internet.  Thank you!  I think we should ALL print this and hang it somewhere.  Maybe even a tattoo!  And your analysis of IIFYM was spot-on.

My new theory is about coffee.  I think it's making me "high" on the days I do drink it.  I deliberately chose to have some this morning and heck it's leg day so I should naturally be feeling better than upper body day, right? :D

I just wanted to let you know how amazing you are!

And about the coffee...it's no mistake that I drink Crio Bru often ;)

Scratch the "keto here I come" comment.  You know me well enough to know that I want to do something ALL the way.  So I'll wait until I'm in North America again and don't have quite as many things on my plate (figuratively AND literally) to get some keto monitoring tools.  Plus pre-washed spinach and pre-chopped kale will make keto WAY easier than having to deal with the un-washed spinach here.

Looks like it's going to be a moderate carb Paleo path for me - with way fewer nuts, seeds, nut & seed butters (trying to avoid those completely, actually, other than in savoury sauces), fruit than I would have done without the benefit of this group and Brewer and NO Paleo baking (watch me on that one.  There might just be SOMETHING worth it, at SOME POINT.  Time will tell).

Off to slaughter legs day!

Cheers,

-Lauren

I really wish that everybody would understand that all of the monitoring is ~not~ necessary.  

kirkor has been saying that he is "ketogenic" for over a year now, and I don't think he's ever done any type of monitoring, ever.  (maybe urine strips, in the beginning?)

I told both Karen and Jess that I really didn't think the Ketonix was necessary -- but they both decided to buy one anyway.

I haven't used my blood glucose monitor or my Ketonix since before Christmas.  

My blood ketone meter and the strips have been here for several days now, and I haven't even gotten them out of their boxes.  {shrug}  Even when I do -- I can only afford to measure that about once a week, and that is mainly for my own curiosity, as a cool science tool, and maybe to make some minor adjustments based on the number.  MAYBE.

The scale, the measuring tape, the numbers on our lifts, the weight we throw around in the gym, how long we can hold a plank, how many push-ups or pull-ups we can do, how fast we can run a mile, how many steps we can take in a day......................  Come on.  When it really comes down to it, this is ALL a type of "monitoring" we do with ourselves that can be healthy to a certain point -- and really detrimental in some cases.

Lauren, I encourage you to please keep experimenting with your own body.  

We are all here to bounce ideas back and forth, support and encourage one another, and yes I am here for some "tough love" to help you reach the really important goals.  To me, that is NOT a certain number on the scale, a certain size of pants, or a PR for the day.  It is NOT a certain number of carbs, or ketones circulating in your body.

The goal is health.  That may not be why you came here, but that IS what you are going to get.  Any time the mind strays from that goal -- it's going to take you nowhere good.

Archived