Funeral--Air Travel, Staying w/Relatives

CarmenS

I'm on Day Four of my second Whole 30. I know the ropes and what to do--that's not the issue. The issue is I just found out I have to go to Texas for a memorial service for my uncle. I am taking my mom so she doesn't have to fly alone. We will be gone Thursday, September 27 through Saturday, September 29.

I will need to figure out about 7 meals (Thursday lunch and dinner, Friday all meals, Saturday breakfast and lunch). We flying into San Antonio and renting a car, but staying with relatives I do not know. I don't know where they live, don't know if there are nearby grocery stores or restaurants, don't know what they eat, don't know a darn thing, actually. This is my mom's thing, not my thing. I am going to be her support system. She's my mom. You do that kind of thing for your mom.

Anyway, my question is--what do I eat? I am not embarrassed to pack food, but I can't take a cooler. I am only taking a carry-on and a small backpack on the plane. I am willing to hit a grocery store if possible, but who knows if they have room in the fridge (I've seen people's refrigerators and sometimes they are packed).

The only meal I know about is a cookout one night. I am going to assume I can eat the meat, but I don't even know if there will be a salad or side I can eat.

I am freaking out here. Even if I wasn't on a Whole 30, I eat paleo the rest of the time. No grains, beans, or dairy. This would be nearly impossible under any circumstance.

HELP!

I'm sorry for your loss, Carmen.Your mom is lucky to have you by her side.

This may be a stupid idea, but could your carryon be a softsided cooler that you bring full of your clothes and then when you're there you could fill it with a trip to the store and not need to use their fridge? Even if they live in the middle of nowhere, you are flying into a metropolitan area and you will have wheels. You WILL be able to find a grocery store between the airport and their house. If you can't bring your own cooler, most supermarkets still carry those styrofoam ones. Biodegradable? No. Worth it when necessary to keep you safe, healthy, and able to be present for your family? I think so.

Also, you have a week to prepare. Can you make or get some good jerky in that time to take care of the emergencies/the time before you can get to a grocery?

You can do this.

Sorry for your loss.

Maybe you could order Pre-made paleo and have it shipped to the house you are staying at? Otherwise, just find a grocery store and keep your meals simple. I have found compliant canned tuna & salmon, you can do eggs pretty easily and maybe get some stuff for salads? Given the circumstances, I'm guessing your relatives will be accommodating. Good luck!

I'm sorry that your uncle passed. I'm glad you will be there to support your mother.

I assume you are flying to Texas for the memorial service. Depending how many hours from the time you leave the house until the time you land, you actually have some pretty good options if you take a larger suitcase or bag. It seems that protein will be your toughest variable. Take a few insulated lunch coolers (or one big one) and pack frozen Applegate Farms sausages (forget which are compliant, you'll have to check labels for yourself) and AF hot dogs. Throw in an ice pack or two per insulated lunch bag and then place in a plastic bag (kitchen garbage bag maybe) and then wrap in a towel. It will take several hours for the sausages and hot dogs to thaw and shouldn't mess up your clothes. Even if they are at room temperature a couple of hours they won't spoil. By the time they get thawed you can stop (you said there would be a rental car) and get some ice to keep them cold. They won't take up a lot of space, are already fully cooked, and can be stored at the home where you are staying.

You can get fresh fruit and veggies (baby carrots, snow peas, peppers, celery, etc) that can be eaten raw so no need to use the kitchen other than to wash and slice them. Almonds or macadamia nuts plus a jar of olives would easily cover the healthy fat portion of your meals.

Good luck!

To be honest I would consider fasting a day, and maybe only needing to eat about 4 times total during the trip. Eat a large meal Wednesday night and bring food with you to travel on Thursday - dried jerky, an apple, nuts, some cut up veggies and drink tons of water. Since you are traveling, that's all I would eat on Thursday. I am sure the family will have eggs for breakfast in the house. I would eat eggs for breakfast or possibly dinner and fast the rest of the time on Friday. By Saturday, u should know where you can to a grocery store for food on Saturday. Fasting every now and then is actually good for you and in a time like this, would remove a lot of stress on your part and allow you to focus on the time with your family.

1. Sorry for your loss

2. they eat, therefore they must get food from someplace. If you are renting a car, I assume you have their address. Google it. Then search for local markets. HEB is a big chain in Texas. Not sure if you are sticking to grass fed organics or not, but see what you can find. Texas is the beef capital of the country!

3. Bring a cooler or pick one up at a local gas station. Most will sell the cheapy styrofoam kind. I'm sure your relatives will have some ice you can use, and I doubt they will begrudge you a little fridge space.

4. Eggs, beef, chicken and fish are your easiest protein sources. Veggies and fruit can be found anywhere to.

5. You are only going to Texas, not the moon. Trust me, don't panic...just plan.

Thanks to everyone for the suggestions. Hobbitgirl, your #5 made me laugh--sometimes going to Texas makes me feel like I am going to the moon! Or maybe that is just my family and their way of living. I am always the "outsider," from being a Yankee to the way I eat, exercise, dress, eat, vote...you name it, I'm the odd duck.

I am just going to make this work one way or the other. Today is Day Eight and I feel a lot more confident about the whole thing than I did when I posted this.

I just hope I don't get stranded--we're flying American!

Thanks again!

Archived