Newbies having to give up Red Wine

JBNelson

Starting January 4th/16. Pretty Pumped. Any one else nervous about failing with Red wine and not to mention EVERY THING ELSE!! lol. This is my first go at the Whole 30. Looking for people to share info in regards to recipes they have enjoyed or how they are meal preparing for the week. 

Don't focus on what you're giving up, focus on what you're gaining!  GOOD HEALTH!

Or heck if you DO want to focus on what you're giving up, how about:

-Acne

-Addiction

-Allergies (some?)

-Asthma
-Bloating

-Cravings

-Depression

-Dehydration

-Eczema

-Edema

-Fatigue

-Gastro problems

-Hangovers

-Inflammation

-Irritability

-Jerkiness (no really, the Whole30 can make you a nicer person when you're not hangry anymore!)

-Joint pain

-Knee pain (per above)

-Lethargy

-Mental fogginess

-Moodiness/mood swings

-No energy

-Osteoporosis

-Pain

-Psoriasis

-Queasiness

-Restless legs

-Sleeplessness

-Tiredness (okay that's the same as fatigue - I just want the full alphabet!)

-Urinary infections

-Vague thoughts (yes, I'm reaching)

-Vertigo

-Weight gain (unless you're underweight)

-X-mas weight gain

-Yeast infections

-Zinc deficiency (and any other dietary deficiencies, since you'll be eating so many nutrient-dense, whole foods)

Seriously though, I get it.  It's daunting.  It's hard (but not hard).  I wish you the very best.  The next thirty days can change your life, if you let it!

As always, YMMV (your mileage may vary).  The more you put into the program, the more you get out of it.  I hope you find the community here helpful to achieve your optimal Whole30.

Cheers,

-Lauren (GGG)

Red wine will be my hardest thing! It's my end of the day "atta girl" or my break out of "mom" reward. But, I've realized that those associations are what has the greatest hold on me so hoping to change how I feel about it. I'm doing a practice week this week. I bought all good stuff and have been eating like I'm already on Whole30 already identifying trigger points along the way. I've been building a mental plan for how to attack them next week. Good luck!!

• Administrators

You won't fail with the red wine.  Just remember, it'll be there when you get done.  And consider that going without it for 30 days may tell you something about your relationship with it.  From a personal perspective: I was a 2-3 (or 4) bottle per week gal until my first Whole30.  And I missed the crap out of it and thought that "winter" sucked without it and don't even bother building me a fire, sweet husband, because it's just not the same without a glass of wine and on and on and on.  And then the 50+ days without wine ended (I didn't reintro it right away) and whaddya know, it didn't have the same draw anymore.  I still love it and enjoy it but I can just as easily feel good and comfortable choosing tea or kombucha or a decaf or water as often if not more often.

Not having my wine was also a concern, but I began to realize that wine was one culprit in helping me to justify a little bit of binge junk food sprees and not sleeping well.

This is my first Whole30. I started on the 1st, but had a bday party Saturday, and was feeling really bad..(very low blood sugar fog) seriously wasnt sire how I would be able to handle simple conversations....so decided to start for real on Sunday. Had the blood sugar drop again on Sunday but had a handful of nuts and grapes. I run, so today after my run, I had a couple of cuties and really felt much better. Head hurts a little...and am glad I don't have red wine in the house. :)

• Moderators

LoriL

In order to combat those sugar highs and lows, you want to get away from eating fruit and nuts on their own... this only serves to spike and then crash your blood sugar. If you would like to post what you've been eating with portion sizes, we can help you tweak your meals so that you can avoid the blood sugar crashes :)

Archived