Kjb post Whole 30

violetta

So, how does one continue losing weight with reintro?  I have only lost about 2 pounds since reintro started on January 1.  I have been going extremely slow because I still have on and off reflux and stomach pain and bloating.  So I have to wait to reintro on a good day.  But despite being almost completely compliant for a week at a time, I cannot seem to lose any more weight.  The 10 pounds came off in just a couple weeks at the end of December but now nothing.  I have upped the sweet potatoes but not that much.  I am using plenty of fat and eating almost no fruit or other sugars. I have plenty of protein and veggies. What am I doing wrong now?  I know one is not supposed to depend so much on the scale but I just weigh once a week at the gym because being a scientist, I seem to need proof that the sacrifices are worth it.  

• Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, it is possible that the cider vinegar worked.  I had no reflux at night, none!  But I did take a prilosec yesterday.  I will try it today without prilosec.  I had a hard time going to sleep.  I think I will add the 5-htp back and see if that makes a difference.  But on the good side there was no restless leg  at all with half dose of mirapex.  I will figure this out yet.  Today I was going to test beans but I think I will just try a little bit at dinner.  I am feeling like this is really going to react. My tongue seems okay this morning but it usually gets worse during the day.  I am doing well with ghost tea.  Mostly hot water with a green tea bag dumped in it for a minute.  I tried going to herbal but the passion tea bothered my tongue.  Making spaghetti squash today and some roasted brussel sprouts and purple potatoes.  

Had some beans at dinner and so far no reaction.  I do love black beans and humus so that is good.  I didn't get around to making anything today so it was leftover chicken and broccoli for lunch.  I will add back 5-htp tonight and see if I can get to sleep sooner and not lie awake so long.  Meditation does seem to help and I did that today and not yesterday because of going to the gym and swimming. Took a prilosec this morning but no more prilosec with the latest news about kidney disease and alzheimers, I will try anything else!  My tongue is only stinging a little.  Apple cider and expensive licorice and aloe powder it will be.  I think I still have some sorting out of foods to do perhaps after our southwest trip.  Maybe try a FODMAP diet and see if I can get this reflux completely under control.  

Apple cider vinegar at evening with glutagenics-no stomach pain until 5 am, no knee pain until 5.  I put a little lidocaine on my knee and hung it off the bed and it acually improved.  I had acupuncture on the knee yesterday, maybe that helped.  I had a couple of papaya tabs and that settled my stomach somewhat.  Still got up at 6:15 am because I was a little uncomfortable. No reaction to the beans other than the normal.  I think I will have to let go of peppers and sweet potato for a little while after the reintro so I can check FODMAPs.  That will be harder than anything I have given up so far. I am trying chia pudding again today.  I need something that doesnt require cooking for hot weather when we get to the southwest.  If this doesnt work, I guess it will have to be hb eggs and smoothies.  I need to try yogurt soon.

I went back to 2 serifos last night, the cortisol lowering supplement, taking one at bedtime also.  It is supposed to keep you asleep later into the morning and it did work on all fronts, no reflux and deep sleep until the alarm at 6:30.  I hope I will feel as alert as I did before in the morning, I do feel a little fuzzy right now.  But no leg pain or stomach pain is great and not having to try so  hard to stay in bed until at least 6 is great so I did get more that 8 hours of sleep.  I am still struggling to go to sleep without a larger dose of mirapex and other supplements, I may try GABA again.  I do need to get the computer turned off at about 8:30 pm so I have an hour before bed without blue light.  I haven't been doing that because I am lazy.  

My tongue however is really burning, I really don't want to take prilosec with all the side effects but there seems to be little else since I can't take H2 blockers because of their effects on restless leg.  The glutagenics and apple cider vinegar is working for my stomach but may be making the tongue burning worse.  I stopped drinking coffee and tea, no chocolate and little fruit but the potatoes seem to make instant pain, especially my great purple potatoes.  I guess I will have to stop them.  But I figure I can stop anything if it helps since I was able to stop alcohol, chocolate, sugar, dairy, etc.

I am making those wonderful chicken meatballs today and I cooked up some spaghetti squash although tomato sauce is out right now so I will have to find a new way to eat them.  

Last night-1 seriphos, 5 http, 2 mirapex, glutagenics and baclofen, highlands leg cramp and digestive tab at 5 am other than regular pills at 8 pm

No apple cider vinegar

Result, very little sleep after 4, some leg pain and reflux then, hard time going to sleep, badly burning tongue all night

Tonight I will try 2 seriphos, 1 and 1/2 mirapex, glute and baclofen and apple cider vinegar and no prilosec.

I do think that I will have to go back on prilosec regularly to get my tongue under control, that is the only thing that worked last time, I will raise the bed today and see if that helps too.  I will be looking at FODMAPS  diet to start soon also.

Very frustrating day, I got my blood work back and my total cholesterol is quite a bit higher at 241.  I really don't want to take statins.  I will try cutting back on some of the fats, I have been really dumping it on.  And maybe skip the bacon and sausage.  I don't know if that is okay with Whole 30 but it seems necessary to stay off statins.  Maybe some gluten free oatmeal.

So, I guess i might be in the small group where dietary cholesterol affects blood cholesterol.  But I read a lot of articles trying to make me calm down about total cholesterol.  My doctor REALLY wants me to try statins but I am sure that after taking one pill I will be able to say that they affect RLS and that the risks outweigh the dubious benefits.  On another note, I did sleep last night with one more seriphos and some tylenol at 3 and my wedge when I started to feel burning at 3 am.  Only took about 1/2 hour to go back to sleep and slept through the alarm so I think I have a strategy now.  I decided just to go back on prilosec until my tongue is under control although i hate the idea.  I just hate struggling to talk because of tongue pain more. My tongue is better this morning and I am learning to sleep on the wedge.  I just hope it doesnt mess up my back.  Off the school today, subbing in the hardest first grade class, 

I tried wine in cooking yesterday and it seemed to be okay with my stomach and head after I made a wine sauce for the fish.  But my legs reacted very badly at night and were pulsing and moving all night.  I slept deeply but only for about an hour at a time before my legs would wake me up.  So no more wine sauce.  I didn't even want to drink except when I smelled it as i opened the bottle to pour it on the fish.  It's coconut aminos from now on.  I did try a GABA last night.  I don't know if that would have any effect.  I did also take a prilosec last night after my tongue was burning again.  But I would imagine that the wine, even alcohol-less, was the culprit with the RLS.  I didn't get any exercise either yesterday.  Too tired after subbing so that could possibly make my legs worse.  I have one last try at reintro with other dairy, yogurt and cottage cheese, I might do them a couple days apart as I really care about yogurt, cottage cheese no so much.  So far, big reactions to brown rice (I probably need to try white rice but I think I will wait for a good opportunity), peanut butter, and cooked wine (unfortunately as I had a glass of wine every night for the last few years and love it).  Smaller reactions to cheese, just a little throat clearing, and sourdough, feeling a little bloated.   I am calming down about the cholesterol.  My HDLs are so good and my triglycerides are very low so it seems like that would offset the high cholesterol. Things I am not going to test yet until my tongue and stomach have calmed down include non-sourdough wheat, ice cream, milk, sour cream, drinking alcohol.l

I decided to try a little dairy today and hope that changing to a dairy salad dressing instead of a vinaigrette would help my tongue.  I am pretty sure I dont have any dairy allergies but the salad sure made me overful fast with blue cheese dressing.  No discernable reaction so far and my tongue feels pretty good.  I might have to just get away from vinegar altogether. I am pretty much through with reintro for now just in time for traveling!  Hopefully I have changed what I eat enough to keep pain at bay and keep the pounds off.  I still need to find something to help me sleep better.

I tested cheese and cottage cheese at dinner last night and had very little reaction although I felt overfull after dinner  of chicken salad.  But I added l-tyrosine back in to my nightime pills and slept GREAT.  Didn't have to get up until 5 to use the wedge with a little reflux and then went back to sleep after 1/2 hour or so and slept another hour.  I felt like I really wasn't go to go to sleep last night, really wide awake but closed my eyes and was asleep in minutes, that is so great.  My tongue has calmed down, no vinaigrette dressing last night.  I will have to lay off vinegar for a while and maybe fruit.  Going to swim today and treadmill.  I will see if my knee can stay happy. I will try a little yogurt today.  And then go back compliant for a few days and then I am going to call it done, maybe a little white rice but I am worried that I will have the same reaction as to brown rice which was really terrible.  

Another good sleep night, no digestion problems, no burning tongue, no restless leg, very little waking up and not being able to get back to sleep.  Final plan night-1mirapex, 1 baclofen and one seriphos at 7, one l-tyrosine, one seriphos, 1/2 mirapex and one baclofen at 9 pm.  Dumped the glutagenics and 5-htp at night.  Morning plan-lysine, ALA, astragulus, B-12, quercetin, prilosec as needed.  I will try apple cider vinegar faithfully unless my tongue acts up.  I will work with my doctor to find an alternative to prilosec if my tongue is too bad.  I will use the wedge or slant the bed to help with early morning reflux.  

Reactions to food:

*brown rice totally out (may try white rice at a later date)

*peanut butter totally out (maybe another try when I have lots of time),

*dairy limited, home made or yogurt blue cheese dressing, full fat greek yogurt, cream, and some hard cheese (causes throat clearing but not much bloating)

*wheat, totally out (except occasional sourdough)

*other grains, mostly out (won't freak out if I have them inadvertently or in small quantities at restaurants, as a guest)

*soy, out (may try tofu or soy sauce later)

*wine in cooking (only if I am prepared to take more mirapex as it seems to have bad effect on my legs)

*alcohol (try to stay away, understand that it will mess me up, follow flow chart, gluten free only)

*fruit, very limited for a while until tongue calms down

*decaf coffee, try to stay away 

Diet

Lots of veggies and eggs

Less starchy veggies especially sweet potato

Cook whole chickens and make soup a lot

Cook veggies for lunch, especially zukes, peppers and mushrooms

Experiment with reducing FODMAP food after we return

No added sugar, be vigilant at food labels

Limit nuts and almond butter

Slow down eating

More water

No eating at night

Lots of meatballs and ground turkey and chicken

Experiment with salmon cakes as portable food

I will think of more tomorrow, time to go sub.

Not such good sleep, I had too many thoughts about subbing yesterday, lots of concerns about the kids and couldn't get around my brain to sleep.  That is why I don't teach anymore.  I ended up eating meatballs at midnight because I didn't eat enough during the day.  Not so good for reflux but I slept on the wedge and made it to morning with tylenol and an extra baclofen.  

I have got a number spreadsheet.  Eventually I hope to find a stable med dose and keep it but for now, I am just trying to get off of some of them.  

I am starting to slip a little, maybe that is okay.  I have started using blue cheese dressing on my salad, just mayo and blue cheese and it doesn't seem to affect me.  Also, have started putting cream in my green tea with no ill effect.  Everything else has pretty much stayed compliant.  I am still going to try steel cut oats for breakfast tomorrow before I get too off track.  Three days without prilosec again, my mouth is a little sore but I am not sure that apple cider vinegar is the solution.  I will take a prilosec tomorrow before going to the city.  Doctor's appointment to talk about blood work.  She has ordered some pravastatin but I am reluctant to take it.  I know I will have a bad night with RLS.  And the cholesterol advice from Paleo and Whole 30 really do say that cholesterol is actually good for older women.  I don't really want to change my diet, it has helped so much with muscle pain and energy and general health but statins really don't thrill me.  

Sort of bad night but at at least there were a couple blocks of more then 2 hours and last one was almost 4 hours until 5:30 am.  Had a spoonful of almond butter at 10 pm but otherwise no food until morning and no indigestion.  I did get hungry after I woke up at 5:30.  A car alarm started beeping across the street at 6:30 so it really was time to get up.  Perhaps this is TMI but I have developed what i think are hemorrhoids from the whole 30 and not enough fiber I think, everything has been much harder.  Before this I never even knew what they were because I always had diarrhea type IBS.  That fortunately is gone but this is not fun either.  I see the doctor today and I will start some psylum fiber today.  But the statins are just not going to cut it.  I wonder if something is wrong with my thyroid with the cholesterol going up so much.  TSH is still 2.97 but that is up a whole point from last year.  I am going to see if she can test some more or try some thyroid meds.  It has been somewhat hard to lose weight lately and my hair does seem much thinner and brittler.  But I have lots of energy and am not at all  cold.  Certainly my sleep is disrupted.  Perhaps I will try some over the counter thyroid meds.  Going to Spokane today for a birthday lunch and a doctors appt.  Spring seems to have sprung very early this year.  There is only one place I can eat in Spokane with EVOO sauted veggies and EVOO roasted chicken but oh well, it is still a birthday.  And only two more years until retirement money kicks in and Medicare.

Slept well last night until 5 but then not much more sleep after that.  Took some tylenol at 5:30 and got a little more sleep but my stomach was growling and i was getting some reflux, no knee pain though. Tried steel cut oats today with some fruit and maple syrup and coco milk.  No real reaction, maybe a little bloated but not a great breakfast.  I can't believe I used to eat that everyday.  My tongue is still a little sore and I decided to just take my prilosec while we are on vacation in the southwest.  But the pravastatin is still iffy.  I took a 1/2 this morning and didn't feel anything yet but in the pas t when I tried it, by the time i started to react it was really bad immediately.  I did the cholesterol check list from Johns Hopkins and didn't even come in the statin benefit range.  Risk of heart attack was 2.5%. I see no reason to take them for that risk when they can cause such agony.  Not real excited about my new doctor, didn't real pay attention to the success of the Whole 30, just said I was fine even if i tried to talk about my knee and my reflux.  She did call me "lean" which was great but was in the context of not having anything else to change to lower cholesterol except statins because i was already lean.  She also would not refill my estriol prescription even though I really need it to head off bladder infections until I begged.  But  said that she would fill it this time but wanted me to try without it and only go back on if I got a bladder infection.  I just feel like she doesnt really trust what I tell her about past fails at medications and wants me to try them all over again.  I finally decided to send her my doctors notes from my cardiologist about all the statins that I tried and failed.

Thanks for posting.  I don't know, I have changed so many times mostly because my doctors moved away but I think first I will ask her why she doesn't trust me to know my body and my medical history.  I think she is a nice person, but treats me like a child.  She insisted that I go get a mammogram that day because I was 6 months late but really, many of the recommendations say you only need to get one every two years after age 60.  She didn't trust me to take care of it after I return from the southwest and was even a little sarcastic when I said I would take care of it. She dismissed a lot of the new research about prilosec and its side effects that I knew about.  I did make an appointment with a gynecologist and I do have a naturopath rheumatologist who is wonderful so I have great doctors.  But I was just reading a book about medical things that really strongly urged people to get primary care doctors who are really great to coordinate care in case of illness.  So, yes, I will be looking, the idea of getting a bladder infection again to prove that I need the the estriol really doesn't do it for me.

I didn't have much of a reaction to the 1/2 statin that I took yesterday although my legs did feel a little jangly at night and I had a hard time going to sleep, but they have been doing that a little lately.  I may have to go back up to 2 mirapex from 1 and 1/2 for the trip as new beds cause difficulty sleeping for me.  My reaction to statins has always hit like a truck when it starts and doesn't go away for a while after I quit. So I am on the fence as to whether to continue.  That John Hopkins calculator probably needs to go to my doctor to look at the extremely low risk of a heart attack.

I am finishing packing up today.  I thought about making chicken soup for the road but I am kind of tired of it so I think I will just go with meatballs and salad makings.  I did buy a container of wholly guacamole and it is really good and great for the road.  Plus making some sweet potato sticks and a fritatta to last a couple days of breakfast.  I also have lots of turkey slices for lunch, I am just not quite sure how I will get cooked veggies, still thinking on that.  I am pretty well out of veggies at home so can't make a very large container of green bean saute and I am tired of brussel sprouts. I will bring salad dressing and mayo.  I think it will be a lot of raw veggies and some almond butter.  I dont have room for more that one cooler in the car so not too much cooked food.  I suppose I could go up to the local store and get some non-organic zucchini and mushrooms and peppers and make a big saute but I dont know if I have the time or energy.  This is really my first time on the road since whole 30, I have no trouble staying compliant when the food is available but if it is not...

I tried white rice last night.  I did have a little stomach ache after dinner and some aches during the night which I quelled with tylenol but nothing like the brown rice attack.  I was talking to a friend and she said that quinoa make her feel like dying and did the same thing to her brother so it is possible that the brown rice and quinoa mix that I ate last week was really a problem with the quinoa and not the rice.  I used to eat a lot of quinoa/corn noodles, maybe it really was the quinoa!   I will have to try that later, I know corn is not a problem.  Well, off to breakfast and cooking and packing!

Good  idea to ask doc what is up with her attitude.

Great road trip plans. 

I don't mind eating defrosted frozen green beans without heating them up,  or you could heat and then recool and pack.  They are one of the more  common organic veggies at my market.

Frozen vegetables, that's a great idea for finding on the road.  I read some more stuff about statins and they sound like not a very good idea even if I didn't react to them.  I sent my doctor all the notes from when I had a cardiologist who tried all the statins with me and then concluded that I was just not going to be able to use them.  I have forgotten much of it because it was about 10 years ago but she should read it and then believe me!

Well, we are off this morning.  I kind of panicked last night, thought I didn't have enough food, especially sweet potatoes so I think I will take a couple along and try cooking them in the microwaves at night in the motels.  We will be three nights on the road, so there may be some frozen veggies in my future.  I have salad makings, salad dressing, mayo, turkey slices, a chicken breast, 3 frigate servings, 4 wholly guacamoles, sunflower seeds, almonds, a couple epic bars and turkey sticks, lara bars, almond butter, a few sweet potato sticks and 2 raw sweet potatoes, some green beans for lunch the first day, a can of tuna, mayo, bananas,.  I will buy a couple avocados on the road and then forage from there.

I am on the road and it is pretty easy, basically  munchies of veggies and meat from the cooler and eating at rest areas, luckily it is warm enough to have the cooler out at rest areas.  We will arrive early enough today to get some exercise in and pick up some more food, hopefully somewhat compliant.  The sweet potato sticks are great as is the guacamole. I really need more exercise!!!! I did get in some quick yoga last night and slept great afterwards.

Feeling a little bloated although I have been mostly compliant.  I have eaten more raw veggies though and that sometimes bothers me.  I also had a little cheese yesterday and I mean a little but I can feel the bloat.  It could also be from so much driving I suppose or not a whole lot of exercise though we have gotten in some walks and a little yoga each day.  In Arizona now so we are almost there!  

My sleep has been a little disrupted but I have gotten some sleep.  Just waking up early about 5 and not getting a whole lot more until 6:30.  I have been taking 2 mirapex instead of 1 and 1/2 unfortunately because my legs haven't had enough chance to move during the day.  I also have tried magnesium when I wake up at 4 or 5 and although it doesn't seem to put me back to sleep much, it has made me more comfortable with less restless leg.  My reflux and tongue have been behaving pretty well in the early am with the return to prilosec although there is a little pain solved by two pillows for a while.  

My leg has been really good, it is better with less activity.  I also discovered that my knee and upper leg is really pointing inward and I am not walking or standing at all straight.  I figured this out when I tried on my new yoga leggings that I got for my birthday that have really tight legs.  So that is probably the source of the pain and why my IT band is so sore.  Now I just need to know how to fix it.  I was consciously walking on the outside of my foot yesterday when it started to hurt during our walk on pavement yesterday and I would do this for a couple minutes and the pain would go away.  Now that I have diagnosed myself, perhaps a pt might help.  I was probably walking on the outside of my leg to take pressure off of the Mortons neuroma on my left foot.

Archived