Kjb post Whole 30

violetta

I ate two chocolate chip cookies last night with milk!  I have to get a grip and get home to my compliant house.  My friend was visiting and brought over a box of chocolate chip cookies from her great bakery.  And I survived until bedtime and then they called to me when I couldn't go to sleep.  No particular effect on me, slept great the rest of the night and everything is fine this morning unfortunately but I can't do that again.  I will take the cookies back to Mom's part of the house, she can eat them because she still had a huge sweet tooth.  NO MORE!  I made some really delightful chicken that should have satisfied me.  Baked with a sauce of tomato paste, red wine, plum sauce and olive oil.  And some great veggies but I guess that wasn't enough to stop cravings.  I took a great walk in Harriman and visited with my friend, perhaps a little stress there.  Today is open for walks and yoga and meditation and a visit with another friend in the evening.  I am so ready to go home.  Only two more days here after today.  Saturday we will probably go up to Harriman again and then Sunday, a memorial for a neighbor and a visit with S and then home!  I probably won't visit again until there is a crisis. 

• Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No pain last night. Got up and ate a cookie again.  That needs to stop.  I did have a hard cider and of course, my legs acted up in the middle of the night even though I went to sleep pretty readily.  I had to take an extra Mirapex and some tylenol.  Great leftover chicken for dinner.  I stayed up really late with a friend who I hadn't seen for a long time.  Then my niece came over at about 11 and I visited with her for a half hour.  So very tired and right to sleep after.  I did take a couple walks and did my yoga and meditation.  

I put the cookie down!  When I knew that supper was going to be delayed, I needed to eat something and a cookie sitting on the counter came to mind first but I put it down and got a slice of turkey and 1/2 an avocado!  Very happy with myself.  I also had another chance to eat a cookie when I woke up at night but I had a small hunk of roasted chicken instead.  Back on track again.  I did have a little coconut rice at dinner and some cheese today.  But not out of control.  

Took a long hike, 6-7 miles, in Harriman to the Lemon Squeezer and Bald Rocks.  So beautiful and the sun came out.  So many backpackers up to bald rocks in April!  Mostly women.  It must have been a group.  Is this a post-Wild phenomena?  Certainly not a very wilderness experience with 40 campers at least.  My knee behaved well with a good dose of Voltaren to start off with.

I went to sleep a lot faster last night although I did have some RLS in the middle of the night, probably the hard cider at happy hour.  Still no back pain since the massage, Susan ?, she is great.

I think I am still losing weight, very surprising with my not perfect diet.  My hiking pants are so big that I think I will just leave them here.  I have 3 more pairs of that size at home and they were pretty cheap from Costco and I just can't wear them and hope that I never fit into them again.  

Last day in New York, I am so ready to go home and have all my space back.  

Back home and loving it. My kitchen, my chair, my yard, my bed, my closets, my bathtub, kind of like Good Night Moon.  Lots of little food transgressions in the last days, 1/2 a bagel, chocolate, cookies, crackers on the plane and my stomach is feeling it, kind of bloated and sore.  But things will be back to normal here, no temptations except an occasional  beer or cider.  I think I will try to skip cheese for a while because of allergy season and a stuffed up nose, eyes and ears.  So the only things I will continue that are not whole 30 are my cream and maple syrup in tea and coffee and that occasional beer but mostly I will have kombucha.  I have lots of kombucha right now to drink up.  I am going to make some chicken soup today with chicken thighs.  I really liked using thighs last time, much more satisfying with the fattier meat.  I didn't lose any weight in New York, still 139-140 although I think I did but gained it back in the end when I was not eating all healthy food.  I do need the scale occasionally because I can talk myself into the fact that I am losing weight when I am not.

Not a lot of knee pain but going to the orthopedist on Wednesday to see if there is something that can be done to fix it, probably not though.  Lots of RLS last night because of the time change.  I had to take 3 Mirapex starting at around 5 pm.  I do sleep better with 3 than with 2 but don't want to have to go up.  I did a bunch of leg lifts before I went to bed and calmed my legs down.  I just got very little exercise yesterday with many hours on the plane and the drive home and being too exhausted when I got here to do anything but sit and try not to fall asleep too fast.

I was constantly hungry yesterday, didn't have time to make sweet potatoes and missing the occasional off plan treats in New york.  I ate a lot of almond butter and a banana but it really wasn't enough.  I ate a salad with blue cheese dressing and cottage cheese and had cream in my coffee.  I had to take a payaya enzyme during the night to stave off stomach churning hunger.  I did have some rice crackers at lunch but it wasn't enough carbs.  I am going to the city today and will try to eat right but I don't have enough good snacks for the road.  I will have to eat an avocado.  

Knee pain in the am but not too bad, it only kept me awake at 5 am to 6 am.  RLS was pretty bad in the evening after bed but got better as the drugs kicked in and came back at about 3.  I tried the bala oil and took a couple of leg cramp pills and slept some after that.  I managed to stay in bed until 6 by really trying.  I should sleep until 8 since I will be up tonight after a dance and two doctors appts but I am unable to switch time zones that fast. We will have to take stuff to have a nap in the middle of the day.  

Getting back into eating well, no treats around to tempt me except some poppy seed cake last night at a friends house.  Really didn't have any desire to eat it.  I had a taste of ham, very sugary but good tasting.  Lots of minute amounts of hidden sugars lately and some dairy but no grains except a few rice crackers in the last few days.  I also had some soy sauce.  I have gone back to craving meat and veggies which is great.  My stomach thanks me.

Had two appts. with doctors about pain yesterday, mostly the knee and hip bursitis.  I think I will go ahead with an MRA of the hip.  It would be nice to know why it continues to hurt despite a great diet and good exercises and yoga.  It does really get in the way of feeling like I can hike very far.  Made it home last night, no RLS until a few miles from home at midnight, only took regular Mirapex.

Subbing today although quite reluctant.  I have to miss yoga to do it but felt like I couldn't say no after being away for so long.  I did some gardening yesterday and I do feel it.  I had to take Tylenol last night at about 3:30 because everything hurt. I think my body would do better without dairy but the flax and yogurt and fruit breakfast is so good as a break from veggie omelets.  I bought sunflower seeds roasted with tamari as an experiment but think I will get others without tamari and really try to go without soy completely and see if the pain goes down.  Slept pretty well last night after doing a major amount of leg lifts to get rid of the first signs of RLS at about 8 pm.  I did have a gluten free beer this evening as an experiment.  It didnt go to badly but I was awake from 3:30 to 4 am and took the tylenol and some leg cramp pills.  I went back to sleep after a while and would have slept more after 6 am but the alarm went off.  I  took the magnesium glycerinate that my naturopath recommended and it may have helped.  Still had some cramps at night.  

Took 200 mg of magnesium last night.  I thought I was taking 400 but wasn't.  My sleep was maybe a little better until 5 and then I was just awake.  But my leg pain was very minimal and my bowels survived the magnesium.   I will double it tonight. Made my first frittata and sweet potatoes since I got back and they taste so good!  My legs were pretty wild last night, had to move them a lot starting at about five pm.  I guess it was from subbing and not walking, but who knows, could be the cider that I had last night.

Took 600 mg of magnesium with no ill effects,two at bedtime and one at 4 am.  Slept great until 4 but lots of leg pain after that, had to throw my left leg off the bed repeatedly to reduce the pain, finally took a tylenol and leg cramp pill and slept after that, probably got 7 hours of sleep but I wish I could stay asleep in the early morning.  No alcohol last night, just a kombucha, and no RLS, connection?  Stacked wood yesterday and took a walk, I feel a little out of shape for hill climbing, I need to do more of it now that we are home. Mostly compliant, a little bc dressing on my lettuce wrap at lunch time and feta chicken sausage in my fritatta.  

I took four magnesium tabs last night, 400 mg at bedtime and 400 at 3 am when I woke up and slept really well.  Also took some leg cramp meds at 3 but no tylenol so I made it through the night without stomach pain and didn't eat for 12 hours like I wanted to.  No reaction in the bathroom in the morning.  It makes such a difference in weight loss and stomach issues if I can just maintain the fast.  I didn't lose any weight in New York but I ate all kinds of off plan things.  Now that I am back on track perhaps I can get down to the coveted 135 lbs.  I really will have to get new clothes then.

Still lots of aches and pains though, perhaps some from wood gathering yesterday and using the sledge maul to chop some reluctant rounds of wood.  My shoulder hurt quite a bit last night with shooting pains but a massage with the massager and ice seemed to fix it.  But I still am definitely not rid of the scapula pain.  My knee was better last night maybe because the magnesium let me sleep through it or something else.  Although I had a little RLS in the evening, there was none at night. I did massage in some bala oil to the gluteus and quad on the left side.   I am going to try the getting rid of RLS protocol of carrot juice, theanine, valerian, curcumin, more water and something else I have to look up.  This post says RLS is curable and just a result of inflammation and a sign of things that are wrong in the body.  I think I will add back in some quercetin and bromelian to lower my histamine levels, hopefully the quercetin will not mess with my legs as commercial antihistamines do.   So many supplements but getting rid of RLS and getting more sleep would be worth it.

My only off plan foods yesterday were feta in the sausage at breakfast, some cheese at lunch, bc dressing on salad, rice crackers at lunch and the delicious cream in my green tea.

Had a smoothie for breakfast with flax, yogurt, banana, almond butter and strawberries, so good even if a little mucus producing.  I got hungry pretty quick then and had a snack of some cooked green beans and mayo.  I definitely missed the eggs, but I am thinking about taking a week or two break from eggs and see I have any reaction when I reintro them.  My sister is allergic to eggs but I really love them and am not sure if I could stand much time without eggs.  I feel like I would have to have some bread if I couldn't eat eggs for breakfast.  

I have been reading about a cure for RLS with magnesium, theanine, curcumin, quercitin, valerian tea, carrot juice and a lot of water.  I will probably try it as I am already taking or have most of that.  It couldn't hurt. I am going to go ahead and have the MRA although my knee does seem to be feeling better after the magnesium and the orthotics that I put in my shoes today before hiking.  I am sleeping a little better already with the magnesium and tried the valerian and theanine last night.  Still wake up at 5 but I did doze after that.  

Nervous about our upcoming mini-tour.  I am not sure if I will be able to sleep and eat well.  The first town is no problem, staying with old friends with many bedrooms.  But so far, we have no place to stay in the second town and no one has volunteered to put us up except for some futons on the living room floor.  That is just not going to work.  Too many pain, sleep and food issues.  I couldn't go to sleep even last night anticipating the problems of sleep and pain. And my stomach is hurting for the first time in ages.  I think I am just too old for the traveling musician life.   Last night I had a gluten free beer and my legs reacted badly, nothing I did helped until I remembered the bala oil and they relaxed right away.  I don't know if one of the things I had already tried, tylenol, finally kicked in or the bala oil is really doing something.  Wouldn't it be great if it really worked and I could stop the drugs.  I did have a small amount of pain in my leg but not much.  Scheduled for a MRA in a couple weeks.  I doubt they will find anything if the bala oil and orthotics can really make a difference.  I should probably have a lumbar spine MRI too.  I will be packing some food but can't imagine how I will able to eat after all that is gone.  Lets see, fritatta, yogurt, flax, wholly guacamole, tea, coffee, bananas, almond butter, rice crackers, cheese?, carrots, chicken or turkey slices, dinner from sandpoint coop and anything else, kombucha?, olives?soup. 

No RLS last night but some in the evening as we were driving until I took my evening pills.  Didnt use any bala but took an Ambien at 10 and slept until 5 and then slept a little more with some Hylands leg cramp.  Some knee pain but not too bad if I roll over.  Sleeping in a strange bed though I really needed the Ambien particularly since we have to drive to a new town and play tonight until 11.  Succumbed to a few chocolate almonds in the middle of the night because they were on the table when I went up to go to the bathroom, some stomach cramps this morning but not too bad.  Had a great salad from subway, chopped spinach and tomatoes and other veggies with olives and a little oil, obviously not olive but I decided not ask and just use it.  New rotiserie chicken was delicious, didnt want to know how they cooked it. Going upstairs to get my frittata to eat, I feel so lucky that I have it, everyone else has to eat cake, not literally but there is no real food at this house.  I feel successful, with the help of Ambien, I feel really well rested.  Started on B-12 again and some quercetin and bromelain and curcumen.  We will see if it makes a difference.  Being on the road again was scary but I think I will be okay.  Need to get some more emergency food today.  I ate some chicken soup and almond butter and carrots plus the salad for dinner and a fritatta slice with sausage and veggies and a little sweet potato and cheese for lunch.  

Had some burning tongue and sore tooth  yesterday but it seems to be better.  Touring is so hard the way we do it.  It could be better if my bandmates knew how to eat well but they don't.  They crave mcdonalds and don't want to make food from grocery stores and they don't seem to understand the concept of three meals on time.  Thank goodness for my fritatta sections, I have the last one today.  But I have been sleeping well with Ambien ,certainly don't want to make it a habit but vital if I am going to get very little sleep and stay up late at gigs.  Yesterday, I managed to figure out how to have some food in a sandwich shop, the only thing that probably wasn't great was the turkey probably had carageenan although it was an organic restaurant.  Plus I did have hummus as an alternate bread for the bottom of the sandwich.  We will see how it goes down and out, so far so good.  I almost gave in and just had a panini but stopped in time. 

Good gig last night, lots of energy until 11 and fingers moving well.  I did take a propranol to stop the shaking and drank some green tea and ate a little chocolate at about 10.  A little knee pain in morning but got my knee off the bed and it went away.  It is amazing how little RLS I have at night with Ambien, too bad it only works very short term and the payback is so big when I stop.  I got a couple bananas and some almond butter and some delicious chicken soup with potatoes at the coop.  Very satisfying dinner.  Also got some avocados to stop cravings, but I am still thinking about FODMAPS which would take away avocado for a few weeks, don't know if I can handle it but I should try.  

Had some burning tongue and sore tooth  yesterday but it seems to be better.  Touring is so hard the way we do it.  It could be better if my bandmates knew how to eat well but they don't.  They crave mcdonalds and don't want to make food from grocery stores and they don't seem to understand the concept of three meals on time.  Thank goodness for my fritatta sections, I have the last one today.  But I have been sleeping well with Ambien ,certainly don't want to make it a habit but vital if I am going to get very little sleep and stay up late at gigs.  Yesterday, I managed to figure out how to have some food in a sandwich shop, the only thing that probably wasn't great was the turkey probably had carageenan although it was an organic restaurant.  Plus I did have hummus as an alternate bread for the bottom of the sandwich.  We will see how it goes down and out, so far so good.  I almost gave in and just had a panini but stopped in time. 

Good gig last night, lots of energy until 11 and fingers moving well.  I did take a propranol to stop the shaking and drank some green tea and ate a little chocolate at about 10.  A little knee pain in morning but got my knee off the bed and it went away.  It is amazing how little RLS I have at night with Ambien, too bad it only works very short term and the payback is so big when I stop.  I got a couple bananas and some almond butter and some delicious chicken soup with potatoes at the coop.  Very satisfying dinner.  Also got some avocados to stop cravings, but I am still thinking about FODMAPS which would take away avocado for a few weeks, don't know if I can handle it but I should try.  

Finally had a full scale blowout day.  Ate eggs okay for breakfast but then kept eating all day, had chicken curry for lunch, that was compliant, then a cheese stick, then a lara bar, then some humus and coconut chips for dinner then some chocolate at the dance and then broke down for 1/ a beer at 11:30 at night and then ate chocolate ice cream which unfortunately had peanut oil in it.  What the consequences are I will probably only know tomorrow but I did get very dizzy and nauseous and then did a lot of burping, my head also feels really weird.  Why would I do this?  I have read about other peoples bad food choices but I thought I was immune because I had more sense but I was really tired of days on the road and always trying to find a way to eat well.  I hope there are not too many consequences, I need to make it home tomorrow in one piece.  I guess I really don't yet believe that there really are foods that will make a huge difference for me and it is really all a game and I could really eat this stuff without major consequences if I really wanted to.  I have to find a new way to think. But boy does my head feel weird!  And I am a guest at a friends house with my bedroom just beyond an area where another guest who I don't know at all is sleeping so I don't feel like I can go and throw up in the bathroom just beyond his bed.  Hopefully, I will not have to.  I am going to do much better starting tomorrow and I don't think I will have any more trips like this, I really want to quit playing, it is just not fun.  Don't enjoy the people i play with, don't really enjoy the music too much and really don't enjoy the traveling.  I want to be at home or on the road with J and the trailer with my own food.  Really, really really do!

I am so glad that trip is over.  Eating is so hard on the road with other people driving the bus.  I had many compliant foods but eating in the car kind of ruined it.  There never seemed to be any time for a sit down meal.  The driving to playing ratio was way too high.  Had a beer last night and immediate leg problems.  But I was so tired that with the Mirapex and the bala oil, I was asleep quite quickly and slept great until 5 and then some more. However, I had a really horrible dream about trying to kill someone and not succeeding for a while, real gory stuff.  Kind of disturbing.  I don't know where that came from.  Plan a slow indoor day with rain and clouds, some yoga, some meditation, a little walk.  I was so tired last night and my blood pressure was very low, in the 50's.  I could hardly get up the stairs to bed.  I had a wonderful big chicken salad for dinner, sitting my chair last night, so glad to be back.

Recovered mostly from the trip, never again I say again.  I need my traveling kitchen to travel very far, even trips to the coast would be difficult without the trailer but traveling with others is the worst, with J I think I could do it.  

Still had some leg problems last night despite the lack of alcohol and adding the theanine and valerian tea.  I need to have the tea a little earlier though and see if it works.  Also really up my water.  I did have to take a prilosec yesterday afternoon as my tongue was stinging and sore.  I am not sure what caused that except just stress from the trip, my stomach was also a little off.  It is still sore this morning and may need a second prilosec despite my reluctance to take them, don't want to get dementia or kidney disease.  I have heard a theory about heavy metal poisoning causing the fissures that cause the stinging.  I am considering doing some heavy metal testing but not sure how to go about it.

Pretty awake this morning despite struggling to go to sleep, I did sleep about a 5 hour block last night after 11:30.  I went to sleep very quickly but had another terrible dream about someone assaulting me and woke up with my heart pounding after about 15 minutes.  I suppose it could be the magnesium, I hear it can give weird dreams.  At least I wasn't killing anyone.  I think my wake-ups in the early morning are all related to the RLS.  MY legs were throbbing when I woke up, I am not sure what to do about that, I don't want to take Mirapex in the early morning because I would be groggy but I do need more sleep.  

I also felt the need to eat last night, had some sunflower seeds with lots of salt and a mango strip and a 1/2 banana, not the best food probably.  I need to make some sweet potatoes today to fill up the starch need.  Only had veggies, chicken and eggs and avocado yesterday plus some yogurt and flax in the morning and some bc dressing and cottage cheese with dinner.  I did eat most of an avocado.

Back on track but my tongue is killing me.  I may have to have a little prilosec to get it under control.  No indigestion, just sensitivity to everything even slightly acidic, including things like potatoes and bananas.  My sore tooth is starting to act up on the same day.  It is really only the end of my tongue,very weird. 

Missed a couple days.  Trying to transition to a different pain drug which makes me very sleeping in the morning when I usually post.  Pretty much following the Whole 30 diet still but added yogurt in the morning to a flax smoothie that I eat a few times a week when I am sick of eggs.  It seems to be going okay although I don't then eat quite as many veggies each day.  I need to up them at lunch i guess.  My tongue was very sore for a couple of days but seems to be recovering.  I think I will stay away from tomatoes completely, the pico de gallo seemed to make things worse despite how good it is.  I have stuck to kombucha  too, too much payback  with alcohol with my legs at night.  I discovered that the quercetin that I had started to take really does do a number on my legs, just like any other artificial anti-histamine.  Too bad!  When I stopped yesterday, my legs were much better.  I think I will try it again in a couple days just to be sure.  

Trying the restless leg cure protocol.  I am now taking curcumin in the morning and theanine and valerian tea at night and upping my water and drinking a little carrot juice at each meal.  I am going to go back on the site to see what else is supposed to help, so far I really don't know because the quercetin was getting in the way of the research.  

No restless leg all day  or last night.  Is it the RLS cure or something else?  I did start Xanaflex instead of Baclofen at night.  Had 1/2 Xanaflex instead of second Baclofen.  Slept  a little better, still up every couple of hours but no sensation except a little leg pain in the early morning.  I ate nothing during the night and stayed in bed until 6 although I woke up at 5.  Tongue is a little better.  I will try a whole Xanaflex instead of Baclofen tonight.  If that works, I am going to cut back on the Mirapex and see if I can sleep better.  Still hovering around 140 and hoping for a breakthrough in the weight loss.  I am not sure what I can do to keep losing weight.  Just having a minor amount of dairy and everything else is compliant, cream in coffee, a little yogurt and cheese a few times a week and blue cheese dressing on salad.  I could do a compliant salad dressing instead of homemade blue cheese.  I just would have to make it up because I can't eat much vinegar because of my tongue.  I did make a great sun sauce alternative with almond butter, coconut amino, a few red peppers, coconut milk and some yogurt.  I could probably leave out the yogurt if I used Thai coconut milk.  I bought a big container of Wholly Guacamole at costco and it is really delicious.  It would be great for traveling.  

My back was very sore and spasming all day yesterday.  I can't think of anything I did differently except start transitioning from baclofen to Zanaflex.  Still my diet is about the same, other than compliant foods, just yogurt and a little cheese.  Still no alcohol, legumes, soy, sugar (I have upped my fruit a little lately with fruit smoothies), peanuts, grains.  I did add the theanine and valerian tea and curcumin, I can't think of any reasons that would affect my back so it could just be going out to the garden without doing my yoga and stretching first.  I cant think of any extra stress in my life or anything, I did get firewood the day before and that is a lot of twisting and bending and weight so that could have started it.  It may just be my body and my hyper mobility and just the wrong move.  But I thought I had strengthened a lot of the muscles around the SI to prevent this from happening.  I may just be progressing towards full blown Ehlers-Danlos.  But it does seem better today, no IBproffen this morning yet and I was on it continuously yesterday.  J got the flowers all planted yesterday after my back went out and they are already perking up and looking great.

Slept pretty well last night, still waking up every two hours but right back to sleep, not even sure how I went to sleep, it is fuzzy in my mind. No RLS, did put on the bala oil and take a full Zanaflex instead of a full baclofen at bedtime.  Not a lot of change in my sleep, still awake at 5.  I think I will try cutting back on the RLS meds tonight and see what happens, unless the RLS acts up in the evening.  Despite the expert advice that quercetin is a flavinoid and couldnt affect my RLS, I went back over when I took it and it really did make it worse, both this try and last one in Tucson.  

Went out wood gathering today hoping that all the bending and twisting would loosen my back up.  It partially succeeded, made sure to do my yoga and exercises first.  Still feeling it after we got home a little and last night I took some IBprofen at night to help reduce the inflammation.  Tried a night without a second Mirapex or Baclofen, only took 2 zanaflex instead and it seemed to put me to sleep okay but woke up at 4 with some RLS and then rubbed Bala oil on the glutes and actually went back to sleep!  Ate a 1/2 banana with almond butter in the middle of the night, too hungry and needed some buffer for the IBprofen.  I don't want to get the the habit again of nighttime eating.. All compliant yesterday except cheese at lunch and cream at breakfast.  Oh, yes, and some heavenly rice with the stir fries.  I haven't had any rice for a long time until I got some basmati rice yesterday, it was so good.

Archived