Post Whole 30 Successes

violetta

On day 31, I haven't really reflected on the successes and so-so results but some are major:

I have mostly halved my restless leg medication which is huge.  It ends the nausea from the meds in the morning and sleepiness.

I go to sleep at least an hour earlier so i get more sleep which I didn't thing was possible. I fall right asleep most nights within a half hour.

I can actually take a nap during the day without my RLS acting up.

I halved my Prilosec (taken for many year for reflux) to every other day and my tongue is mostly fine even with vinegar and tomato if I am careful.  No reflux cough has returned even with the half dose. I am continuing to try to taper down if possible. 

I lost 11 pounds without mostly being hungry although the middle of the night was rough sometimes.

I stopped eating in the middle of the night, a much better way to lose weight and have less reflux.

I  was able to up my meat and vegetable consumption mostly without the yuck factor.

The cooking and prep got easier as I went along.

At my dental checkup, the hygienist said that my gums were significantly healed from the time before with less bleeding and pockets.  Even the tooth that aches all the time from a failed root canal is less inflamed.

I am able to get up out of my chair with almost no pain in my hips, (myofascial pain syndrome) so there must be less inflammation.

I tweaked my back skiing long distances for two days and I was able to recover with a few PT exercises without resorting to the chiropractor.  

Areas that aren't significantly improved or need more work:

I need to figure out why I can't sleep for more than two hours at a time even when the RLS isn't acting up and how to get up to 8 hours of sleep.

I still struggle with not eating when I wake up.

I still have some indigestion and gas after meals and during the night.

I still would like to lose another 5 pounds and get rid of the post-menopausal belly.

I would not say that i had an easy time with the Whole 30 but the way of eating is pretty well ingrained ( pun intended) by now.  I worked way too hard cooking for the first couple of week .  I had some flops that were pretty inedible.  I then figured out how to halve the work.  I bought a turkey, and then had lots of meat and made soup and also roasted some veggies and potatoes and ate those for the last week.  How easy that was after the initial soup making.  I will continue to do that, keeping some kind of soup available.  I particularly like my acorn squash soup, pureed with lots of vegetables and coconut milk.  Pretty easy on the stomach too.  And chicken and turkey soups are great too.  I cannot make myself eat red meat, haven't liked it my whole life.  I also cannot make myself eat meat at breakfast but luckily I love eggs.  I ended up putting a little sweet potato in my eggs every morning which made it easier.  And I love the mayo and the ranch and avocado dressings.  

Trying reintroducing dairy today.  I have challenged with dairy before in lesser ways so i don't think I will have a problem.  Certainly I hope so as this is the one food group that I miss the most.

Way to go, kjb -those NSV are absolutely huge! And yes, how very true that the learning goes on. I found that finishing my first W30 was just the beginning. It does take a while to hit ones stride with the cooking, doesn't it. Hope the dairy works out for you.

• Moderators

Those are some HUGE victories you listed! As you can tell, 30 days is sometimes not long enough to 'fix' everything we'd like to improve but good for you for seeing all the ways in which you are feeling better. That list you've got at the bottom is a heck of a lot shorter than it was a month ago and now you can concentrate on those things because your other things are more under control! That. is. awesome!

I figured out the not eating at night part.  I was eating nuts before I went to bed for a snack and they were the culprits.  Tried a little turkey and sweet potato and indigestion and hunger at night are a thing of the past.  The nuts just weren't digesting.  I had been eating a few almonds at bedtime for about 5 years, about the same amount of time I have been on Prilosec.  Figuring this out is huge and may fix my stomach and get me off Prilosec.  Also, got almost 8 hours of sleep last night.  Still waking up but I set my alarm for 6 so I would know that is wasn't morning when I wake up and that meant I didn't have to look at the clock,which is also my phone and then I am not tempted to read or check email at night.  Also, darkened the room more and started turning off electronics at 8:30 and getting to bed at 9:30.  Also, started a series of breathing and gentle yoga in bed to get relaxed.

• 1 month later...

A month later, and still not done with reintroduction but many more gains.  Eating at night is really a thing of the past, I never get hungry at night and if I ever do I can figure out that I didn't eat enough at dinner, particularly fat.  This week, I decided just to quit the expensive supplements that I have been taking to help me sleep, 5-htp, l-tyrosine and seriphos plus magnesium and glutagenics, a licorice and aloe powder for healing stomach pain.  So three days ago, I just stopped along with reducing my muscle relaxant and starting to taper off it.  I reduced the mirapex a little more too and by the third day I was sleeping fine with only a little mirapex and baclofen and NO supplements.

Also, cooking vegetables for lunch has just become second nature and takes just a few minutes.  I have lost another few pounds too.  I sewed some dark curtains for the bedroom and that is working to keep the street light out and let me sleep.  I have found only one food with an immediate reaction but it was a doozy and took about a week to get over, brown rice really got me.  Everything else I have tried seem reasonably okay except for a little bloating but I really dont plan to eat much off plan.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, that didn't really last, ended up back on seriphos and glutagenics after going through some serious stomach acid and burning tongue.  So quitting everything at once probably isn't a great idea.  Still halved the mirapex, kept only a low dose of baclofen but taking an occasional prilosec and digestive enzymes for my tongue.  My nighttime digestion/reflux iand knee pain is totally better with a wedge so I sleep a little upright but my tongue is really burning badly.  I am eating a lot less now and not needing a daily sweet potato fix or any almond butter and banana although I don't seem to be losing any more weight.  

• 5 months later...

I seem to have kicked the prilosec to the curb finally.  I had a bad stretch for a while after norovirus but everything is fine now.  No burning tongue, no indigestion.  Finally getting excellent sleep most nights with a little baclofen and mirapex.  No restless leg most of the time if I remember my meds, even after major hikes.  I hiked 12 miles yesterday with a gain of 2000 feet to a high pass in the Wallowas.  I was dragging a little at the end but there were no repercussions and I feel great.  That is the farthest I have hiked in many years and I enjoyed the whole thing, no knee, back, leg pain at all afterwards!  Oh, and I lost another 8 pounds over the last few months, up to 20 pounds lost, just about right where I want to be.  And I sleep without nighttime snacking most of the time and wake up just a little hungry but no nausea. So its all good.

Archived