Seasoning

Dream2Life

I am starting the Whole 30 program in January (a few days away) and I am not sure about seasoning.  I know NO MSG! I understand I can use Sea Salt right and NO SOY SAUCE.  Is Oregano, Thyme, Garlic powder, etc.  That kind of seasoning allowed.  Or what do I look for on the lablel of seasoning to be sure.  Please recommend seasoning that others are using.  Thank you

• Moderators

Any herbs and spices are fine, just make sure, especially with spice blends, that they don't contain any non-compliant ingredients.

In general, single spices and herbs won't have an ingredient list because they just contain the spice it herb, like rosemary or cinnamon.

Absolutely! You can use any spice or herb as long as you check the ingredients for off-plan stuff. I have a favorite steak salt that has Soy in it (really?!?) and it makes me sad.

Here's a handy list of stuff to look out for: http://whole30.com/downloads/additives.pdf

I also use Whole30 as an opportunity to splurge on fresh herbs in the produce section when I can afford it. They add an extra hit of fun when you are getting pretty sick of your normal dishes. Fresh basil + scrambled eggs = transcendent.

Absolutely! You can use any spice or herb as long as you check the ingredients for off-plan stuff. I have a favorite steak salt that has Soy in it (really?!?) and it makes me sad.

Here's a handy list of stuff to look out for: http://whole30.com/downloads/additives.pdf

I also use Whole30 as an opportunity to splurge on fresh herbs in the produce section when I can afford it. They add an extra hit of fun when you are getting pretty sick of your normal dishes. Fresh basil + scrambled eggs = transcendent.

My favorite steak seasoning has sugar, booo ... which honestly probably explains why I like it so much. Replaced by putting the rest of the ingredients on it's list together myself from my cupboard, voila.

Archived