tunibell's Whole30 Log

tunibell

Day 20 - The 2/3 Mark and Sunnier Skies

Today's highlights:

• My husband had a great job interview AND his current organization wants him to stay. Huzzah!
  • I tried a new-to-me form of yoga called yin. Relaxing and surprisingly challenging.
  • I felt much more balanced today.
  • A piece of chocolate sounded unusually divine today. I'm talking milk chocolate, not the super dark stuff that I know is better for me.
  • My kids were asleep before 9pm, which is a major victory. For my husband. Who put them to bed while I was getting my yin on.

Day 21 - In Praise of Self-Care

My husband mentioned last night that he's really enjoyed watching me take care of myself this month. I thought I'd do a little round-up of all the things I've done for me during this process:

• I got a skin care regimen going! I have buttered myself up every night in this amazing lavender body cream, and my skin is so happy. I usually get very dry skin in winter, and I tend to scratch my shins in my sleep. All this moisturizer has helped my skin heel. I've also been washing and moisturizing my face twice a day, and I ordered myself a bunch of fun products from my favorite line.
  • I have been brushing twice a day and flossing every day.
  • I have done something physical nearly every day, and I've stuck with a running and weight lifting schedule. I've tried three new classes and just bought myself a few pilates sessions.
  • I got a mani/pedi for the first time since last summer.
  • I've gone to bed every night by 10:30 p.m. and gotten at least 8 hours of sleep.
  • I've had my eyebrows waxed.
  • I've gone to work every day with my hair done, a little makeup on, and a put-together outfit.
  • I bought a foam roller which is just divine for tight muscles.

With these last nine days I'm hoping to fit in a facial (first time in 12+ years) and a new pair of running shoes.

Day 22 - Entering the Home Stretch

Thinking a lot about re-entry.

One of the major downfalls in my previous attempts at weight loss has been my tendency to go to extremes. I'm an all-or-nothing kind of gal, and moderation has never been a strong skill of mine. However, in the spirit of learning from past mistakes, I want to be very mindful during this present experience.

I think the first step is to be very honest about what I hope to accomplish with all this time and effort. In the short-term, I would really love to see a number on the scale that is somewhere in the 120s on January 31. If I'm being super honest, I'd like to see at least 128.

In terms of my longer goals, however, I'd like to be south of 120 for sure, and possibly closer to 110. I am not willing to go to extremes to get there, however, so I'm keeping that final number goal flexible.

By May, I'd like to beat my PR in the half marathon, which was 3 hours last go around. I want to keep lifting weights and getting stronger. I want to retake my A1C at the end of March and see a number that is outside the pre-diabetes range.

When I finish the Whole30, I will also be two weeks into the 8-week WLC. I will have slightly more dietary freedom in the occasional glass of wine, or serving of grains, but I think that I will continue to keep dairy out of my diet for the remaining six weeks.

I would like my posture to be noticeably improved at the end of the WLC. I would like to continue to get 8 hours of sleep, and continue tending to my skin. I'd like to schedule facials and haircuts at regular intervals.

Days 23 & 24 - Parenting is Hard/Last Week!

Long and exhausting weekend of parenting and cleaning. But the house looks great, the kiddos are asleep, and I've got the rest of the week's groceries on hand. Let the countdown to the big reveal begin...

Days 27 & 28 - Preparing for Re-Entry

As of this Sunday, I am allowed to do two things: take some "after" quantitative measurements and have a glass of wine. And while I am very excited about the prospect of both, I want to take some time to really think carefully about how I want to exit these past 30 days.

I have had a phenomenal month. I have taken care of myself in so many ways. I have weathered some really stressful shit without falling back on either food or alcohol for stress relief. I have become much more productive at work, my focus is significantly improved, I've enjoyed a very "quiet" gut, and I have not felt deprived in the slightest. I have run, cross-trained, and weight lifted consistently for a month. 

So what happens on Sunday? 

Not much, I think. I'll wake up and weigh myself and take some measurements. Hopefully, I'll like what I see. But if I don't, I'll make sure to reflect on the long list of goodness that this month brought me. And I'll remind myself that, no matter how many pounds I actually lost, I made progress toward my health goals. I will have a cup of tea, and I will go run 4 miles.

On Sunday I will be on Day 16 of the 56-Day Whole Life Challenge. The eating plan is largely the same, but I am allowed to eat beans, and I am allowed to use the occasional "indulgence" point. I am hoping that this will make for a very gentle transition. It will also give me 40 more days to decide how I want to proceed in the long term.

I will also save that glass of wine for another day. A non-work-night day. I will remind myself that the idea that I "can" have it is irrelevant...I could have had one any day this month. I chose not to.

Today my mother called to tell me that my father's blood sugar was 480. I love my father dearly, but I don't ever want that for myself, my husband, or my children.

Days 30 - A Finish Line

I did it. I went 30 days without dairy, sugar, grains, legumes, soy, or alcohol. (The gluten was a given.)

I also completed 4 weeks of a 20-week couch-to-half-marathon program and 4 weeks of a 12-week strength training program.

I took vitamins. I got plenty of sleep. I drank lots of water. I stretched. I took good care of my body.

Today is a finish line, but not the finish line. The journey continues with a new starting line. I'm excited to see what that looks like tomorrow.

Thanks for a great month, Whole30.

Day 31 - The Results Are In!

Pre-Whole30 Measurements

Weight: 135.7

Upper Arm: 12"

Bust: 39.5"

Abdomen: 33.5"

Natural Waist: 31"

Hips: 38.5

Upper Thighs: 23"/L, 23.5"/R

Post-Whole30 Measurements

Weight: 129.4 (-5.3)

Upper Arm: 11.5" (-.5")

Bust: 37" (-2.5")

Abdomen: 31" (-2.5")

Natural Waist: 29" (-2.0")

Hips: 37" (-1.5")

Upper Thighs: 22"/L, 22.5"/R (-1.0"/-1.0")

I am a little bit bluesy that I didn't hit that 128 number, but I also realize that I have zero right to be disappointed by any of this awesomeness. I lost 5.3 lbs in 30 days, which works out to be approximately 1.25 lbs a week...a very safe, very sustainable rate of weight loss, and especially great since I know I've put on muscle. PLUS, I lost a whopping 8.5" from my bust/abdomen/waist/hip area. My BMI is now in the "normal" range, as is my waist-to-height ratio. I've done my health great favors this month. Looks like I just need another week to see my number. 

Meanwhile, over in Whole Life Challenge Land, I've got another 40 days to go. I've earned 3 "indulgence" points, which I plan to use for wine (or maybe soy or rice...mmm sushi) at a later date. I can eat beans on that challenge, which I think I might try to introduce in the next few weeks. I'd like to rely less on animal protein in the long run. If I continue to lose weight at my current rate, I should be through most of the 120s when the WLC ends on March 11. 

I've also made an appointment on February 14 to have my body fat measured via hydrostatic (underwater) testing. This will give me another metric to use as I continue to improve my health.

I am feeling very, very proud this morning. Time to run 4 miles. :)

Archived