Tuna and vegetable broth?

Vanniek71

Looking through the supermarket last night, and almost every can of tuna packed in water (except the $6.99 a can stuff) has vegetable broth with contains soy.

Is that something to avoid? I am not sure how much soy is in it, but I don't want to mess up the good results I have gotten off this program.

That all being said, this is my 2nd Whole 30, and I know I am not allergic to soy.....should I still stay away?

thanks!

Yep, I am always amazed how 95% of the regular supermarket brands are pumped full of soy. It's, oddly enough, cheaper at Whole Foods, to buy the 5 oz cans of skipjack and albacore (with no soy!), but the "premium" supermarket brands typically omit the nasty additives for 25-50% more per can. Same goes for those packets of salmon.

Thanks for the feedback guys, I will try sprouts or Whole foods. I did find some tuna without soy at the next supermarket I checked at, they are:

Bumblebee very low sodium albacore (tuna and demineralized water) $2.99 ea

Starkist Selects low sodium chunk light tuna (light tuna and water) $2.09 ea

Tonno Genova solid light tuna in olive oil (light tuna, olive oil, salt) $2.49 ea

Haven't tasted these brands yet, hopefully they are good. But I guess it's canned tuna, how can you mess that up? lol

I have resorted to buying solid light tuna instead of the usual solid white albacore. There is no soy in the solid light. I don't understand why they would use it in one and not another. The only ingredients are tuna, water, salt. There's nothing in the list about broth with soy like the others. Oh and I did check whole foods, but I was not about to spend $7 on a can of tuna.

I have been making this mistake for about a month now apparently. I don't buy much stuff in packets anymore so have become unaccustomed to checking labels in my foolishness! Have been eating about 5-6 cans a week and they have all had soy in them!! I'm so angry about it. Angry at the companies for such an unnecessary inclusion and angry at myself for not checking. From what i've read, it's a greed thing as the soy absorbs water so they have to include less fish to make up the weight of the product?? Wonder how much extra cash that rakes in. :angry: Really didn't think you could go far wrong with "tuna in water".

Anyway, I guess that'll teach me for being a cheap skate and buying the cheapest brand available. My local-ish Whole Foods does a line without soy for $1.69 per can which I guess isn't too horrific but still a clear $1 over what I have been paying.

Wish I had the first idea on how to fish and then I could just cut out any risk factor of using middle men!! :D

Seconding what's been said above, Trader Joe's tuna doesn't have soy, and it also has other benefits - it's dolphin safe, and their cans are BPA-free! While they don't indicate country of origin, they're better than

If you're feeling spend-y, Wild Planet tuna is fantastic, BPA-free, sustainably caught, and nothing in the cans other than tuna. They're sold at whole foods, Safeway, and lots of other grocery stores, as well as online. I sometimes get their big cans - it doesn't cost as much per oz (and since when is a tiny can of tuna a sufficient serving anyways!? well, not for me at least :) )

Something else I've noticed is that while a brand's canned tuna may have soy, sometimes their tetra-pak tuna (the foil-y packet) doesn't have any, and neither does the same brand's canned salmon. Maybe that's an easy fix - buy salmon instead of tuna?

Archived