Personal "rules" - what are yours?

penybryn2249

Ok it.s only been two days but I have started my own list of rules. I wanted to share these and see if others can contribute short statements that have kept this process of massive change manageable.  (I am a psychologist, female, 66 year old, and single. I am aware that living alone makes this easier in some ways.)

Here's what I have so far for rules or guidelines:

1. The kitchen must be clean before I go to bed otherwise I am discouraged in the am

2. I have to stop reading WHOLE30 information at 10 pm otherwise I can read on into the night.

3. Because I am so focused on my food changes, I need to be EXTRA careful to pay attention in other areas (such as losing my key in the parking lot of the supermarket late at night)

4. This takes time and energy. Be conscious about where the time will come from. It has to come from somewhere.

Hi penybryn2249,

I like your rule 1 & 2 and I think I will borrow from you.

So far, my rules have been:

1) Do not eat after 8 pm or else I wake up bloated, this is especially hard because I get home late, around 7, by the time I finish preparing food for myself and family, it's 8. so I don't get to eat until around 8:30 even at times 9:30 if I work even later. I want to improve on this, somehow!!!

2) Always have an egg ready for the next day's snack, I find this is the best snack for me, keeps me satiated for a while.

3) Set short term goals so not go get overwhelmed

4) Reserve 30 minutes to myself before bedtime to unwind

• Administrators

Good rules, guys!

One of our household rules is that the kitchen is "closed" after dinner. Lunches made, cleaned up, lights out, no entry unless it's for tea or water.

I also make sure I check the "menu plan" before I close the kitchen to make sure that frozen stuff is out defrosting or that I know if I need to prep anything or pick anything up on the way home the next day. I don't like surprises, they lead to nothing good!

And as a bonus tip for anyone that struggles with drinking enough water, there's a really cute (free) app called Plant Nanny (avail for iPhone and android) that helps you track your water consumption. Basically you grow a little plant and everytime you drink a bottle/serving of water, you "water" your plant and it grows. Nothing sadder than seeing the little guy all shrivelled up and sad looking when you've neglected your water intake.

Good rules, guys!

One of our household rules is that the kitchen is "closed" after dinner. Lunches made, cleaned up, lights out, no entry unless it's for tea or water.

I also make sure I check the "menu plan" before I close the kitchen to make sure that frozen stuff is out defrosting or that I know if I need to prep anything or pick anything up on the way home the next day. I don't like surprises, they lead to nothing good!

And as a bonus tip for anyone that struggles with drinking enough water, there's a really cute (free) app called Plant Nanny (avail for iPhone and android) that helps you track your water consumption. Basically you grow a little plant and everytime you drink a bottle/serving of water, you "water" your plant and it grows. Nothing sadder than seeing the little guy all shrivelled up and sad looking when you've neglected your water intake.

I'm going to dl that app right now! It looks adorable! I love things like that :)

I am on day 7. I live with the other family members including my 20 year old son and my 17 year old daughter, so cleaning out the kitchen is not going to happen.

A rule I have is to have at least the next day's meal planned and always have leftovers in the refrigerator. That way if I am starving something is available and I will not grab a non-Whole30 food.

Today when I get home from a weekend away I am going to write out a list for shopping and contemplate more rules. I know I ate too many nuts this weekend. I am proud of myself for not sneaking food, a lifelong habit, and for not eating any of the cake, cookies, etc around my mother's all weekend.

Another rule I have discovered is that I eat better if I focus on making the plate attractive. I pick the plate or bowl carefully - use an herb or a colored salt to dress up the visual presentation. To help keep track of my meals I take a phone photo each time I start to eat.

Always chop more vegetables than I need for whatever I'm making at the moment.

My tablet stays on the first floor; I sleep on the second floor.

Post or journal something every day; it helps with accountability.

I'm going to clean up my kitchen right now!

Along with chopping more veggies than whatever you need for what you are making would be a general every time you make something, make a lot so that you can get at least three meals out of it. If the oven is on for something else put a train of veggies to roast.

I have frozen things that I did not think would be ok frozen and they turned out fine - Like Melissa's Breakfast Hash.

I have taken a photo of ever breakfast. It will be a fun collage!

• Administrators

Along with chopping more veggies than whatever you need for what you are making would be a general every time you make something, make a lot so that you can get at least three meals out of it. If the oven is on for something else put a train of veggies to roast.

I have frozen things that I did not think would be ok frozen and they turned out fine - Like Melissa's Breakfast Hash.

I have taken a photo of ever breakfast. It will be a fun collage!

Yep, if you're going to bake 6 chicken drums you might as well make 15. If you're going to make 3 hamburger patties, make 8. That's my philosophy!

It's not "my" rule, but ArtFossil has a standard to "plate" everything before eating - no eating straight out of a package/jar/container.  I think this shows mindfulness and self-care and I'd like to adopt it, even just for a little packet of trail mix or what have you.  No more spoonfuls of nut butter out of the jar - I've got to put it into a little dish or bowl, which will make me pause and consider whether I REALLY want it.  And if I do, I will enjoy the heck out of it!

It's not "my" rule, but ArtFossil has a standard to "plate" everything before eating - no eating straight out of a package/jar/container.  I think this shows mindfulness and self-care and I'd like to adopt it, even just for a little packet of trail mix or what have you.  No more spoonfuls of nut butter out of the jar - I've got to put it into a little dish or bowl, which will make me pause and consider whether I REALLY want it.  And if I do, I will enjoy the heck out of it!

This may sound silly to some, but maybe it will be useful to someone else.  Walmart has solid colored plates for $2 each.  They have different colors, aqua, red, yellow, green.  Whenever they have new colors I buy a couple.  I put my food on the plate that will make it look the best.  Sweet potato hash on an aqua plate is so beautiful.  Hamburger and vegetable soup in a yellow bowl with green avocado on top and a sprinkling of a fresh herb, lovely.  I also use cloth napkins and match my linens with the plates.  I feel like when my meals are beautiful it lends to me enjoying them more it's also teaching my children that good food is beautiful and I feel some table manners as they set the table and no electronic distractions are allowed.

My rules for this month are:

1. Face one fear each day, big, medium or small.

2. Remind myself of one terrific (great, exceptional, lovely, fantastic...) thing about me.

3. Remind myself of one terrific (great, exceptional, lovely, fantastic...) thing about someone close to me.

4. Feed the birds, cuz it feeds me.

What a fun topic! 

This is my third Whole30, so here are a couple of things I'm trying to do differently this time around:

•  Eat within an hour of waking (I haven't been able to make myself do this for the other ones, so I'm curious to see if there's a difference this time.)

•  Make at least one new recipe each week. 

•  Incorporate some new veggies instead of just relying on the old standards.

My rules for this month are:

1. Face one fear each day, big, medium or small.

2. Remind myself of one terrific (great, exceptional, lovely, fantastic...) thing about me.

3. Remind myself of one terrific (great, exceptional, lovely, fantastic...) thing about someone close to me.

4. Feed the birds, cuz it feeds me.

Taking the time to appreciate things about ourselves and loved ones is one of the greatest things we can do especially in this days where everything is lightening fast. Time waits for nobody.

Try a new spice. My food co-op sells spices in bulk - which means I can get just a little to try out. Gives me fresh spices and herbs in a tiny quantity for a small cost. I've fallen in love with ginger and rosemary! I go every few weeks and before I go, I look at a recipe in Well Fed and find something to try with an unfamiliar taste. Who woulda thunk!

• 2 weeks later...

wow what a fun post! Thanks for sharing everyone :)

My focus this time around:

- every meal per the template!!! I also took out MOST fruit and all nuts. 

- time prepping for the week on Sunday's is limited to 2 hours

(including list making, shopping, chopping. Crock Pot or cook time doesn't count) This may seem silly but it forces me to pick practical meals that I will stick to. Last whole30 I got a bit too elaborate, spending 4-5 hours prepped on sundays, and when life got crazy I didn't have enough quick easy meals to fall back on when we were busy all weekend. If I can get my entire week prepped in 2 hours, there is no excuse not to! 

- Get involved in these forums.

I have pretty strong will power, and can "white knuckle" my way through being stubborn about not needing help from anyone! But Melissa came to my work to talk and one thing she said really stuck with me- using will power to white knuckle through means you will miss the point. And using pure will power will wear you down eventually. So I am being far more mindful of the decisions I'm making and why/how I'm feeling; emotionally, physically, mentally, instead of putting my blinders on and focusing my tunnel visions on day 30. It means so much more than just reaching day 30! There is a lot to be learned on this journey! 

• Moderators

wow what a fun post! Thanks for sharing everyone :)

- time prepping for the week on Sunday's is limited to 2 hours

(including list making, shopping, chopping. Crock Pot or cook time doesn't count) This may seem silly but it forces me to pick practical meals that I will stick to. Last whole30 I got a bit too elaborate, spending 4-5 hours prepped on sundays, and when life got crazy I didn't have enough quick easy meals to fall back on when we were busy all weekend. If I can get my entire week prepped in 2 hours, there is no excuse not to! 

I really like this one!  When I first started I was spending all day in the kitchen... it does get easier and more streamlined when you get used to it but still, you're right that when you end up busy with life on the weekend, it can be pretty stressful when you don't have a ton of time left over.

I've made it a point to make sure that something is always cooking or roasting on Friday evening and Saturday evening when I'm puttering/cleaning/laundering/reading/watching tv... then on Sunday it's usually just assembly or the one proper recipe that I"m making... the oven can most certainly be going while you paint your nails or read a book so I try to make sure that I'm not wasting my down time by not having something going.

My rules:

• I put EVERYTHING I eat on a plate or in a bowl. I have some adorable bowls that work for food prep and for special foods. I use these for olives, nuts, grapes, anything special that's part of my meal.
  • I CHEW my food. Really chew. My acupuncturist reminds me that my food should become "soup."
  • I eat what I really want. I don't eat anything I don't really want. I only eat to satiety. I appreciate all the tastes and all the other pleasures of eating food.
  • Three meals. No snacking. (I sometimes eat an ounce of nuts before water exercise or Pilates if I feel like I will otherwise get too hungry before I can prepare dinner. If I were on a Whole30, which I'm not, that would be protein + fat instead.)
  • No eating after 7:30 PM (8 PM if my meal schedule has been disrupted by external events). No exceptions.

post-81509-0-95649500-1454021356_thumb.p

• Moderators

My rules:

• I put EVERYTHING I eat on a plate or in a bowl. I have some adorable bowls that work for food prep and for special foods. I use these for olives, nuts, grapes, anything special that's part of my meal.
  • I CHEW my food. Really chew. My acupuncturist reminds me that my food should become "soup."
  • I eat what I really want. I don't eat anything I don't really want. I only eat to satiety. I appreciate all the tastes and all the other pleasures of eating food.
  • Three meals. No snacking. (I sometimes eat an ounce of nuts before water exercise or Pilates if I feel like I will otherwise get too hungry before I can prepare dinner. If I were on a Whole30, which I'm not, that would be protein + fat instead.)
  • No eating after 7:30 PM (8 PM if my meal schedule has been disrupted by external events). No exceptions.

Interesting... I'm not a good chewer!  I'm not sure where I got my 'wolf it or it's gone' mentality from but I think I might like to try and mindfully change that...

Archived