TTT and Renewed Crew January Journey

NancyW

::throwing huge handfuls of confetti in the air::

Congratulations to everyone who started January 1st and made it through!  I hope you get time today to take inventory on how things went and where you are and are feeling positive about your plans for the next few weeks.  My first two W30's went in really different directions and I can say for sure it's all about what you do now.  The first time I had such encouraging results that I didn't want to "mess with success" and barely reintroduced anything.  No surprise then that I did really well that month.  The second time I had mediocre results despite what I saw as having worked even harder and I reintroduced everything planning to take a full break from the program before going back to it in January.  While I didn't manage to undo all the work I had put in since June, I did some damage and I know I need to manage my months off with more structure.  I'm still working out what that will be. 

For me, I still have a few days as I was one of the late starts this month so I'm just looking at next week as one more week and not really the end of anything.  I do not have any meal plans really written out for the rest of February though so this week is primarily going to be planning mode for me.  I will start to have more options in what I do with my compliant ingredients but there isn't anything specific calling to me yet. 

It was a fantastic day, weather-wise, yesterday considering it's still January...so I ran around all day long and got a lot done and even did most of my weekly cooking and laundry last night.  I got the Christmas tree down at long last, put up the glass planter in my room and filled it with green things so that even though today is back to grey...I've got that.  They are calling for the temps to be near 60 today which is crazy for our area this time of year but I couldn't be more thrilled.  I am glad I got out yesterday though, warm and sun always trumps warm and grey.  Definitely going to be taking a nap this afternoon and otherwise just basking in not having to do anything. 

@Nancy, nice work!  Maybe a thing or two more to do to get back into fighting shape but that's pretty darn well done for this time of year considering our handicap!  I know my numbers won't exactly match that, but percentage wise I think I'm in about the same place.  The damage done in December is turned back, but probably not much of anything yet in the right direction there.  I love how you are starting Day 31 with a new look and everything, awesome way to celebrate success and shake up your routine without even considering food.  I think I need to plan just a day like that for the end of March...not just a hairdo but something more, facial or whatever just to have a tend to myself day and kick off April feeling as refreshed and ready to tackle "post-W30" strong and confident. 

@hsheffield...now that just really made me want to send you either a hug, or a stack of china plates to smash...not sure which would help you most?  No, this program is not about weight loss but let's be honest it is something we expect to see and it IS a marker of better health for a lot of us.  Not losing very much the first month is going to make sticking with it a whole lot harder and I will be honest with you it's the #1 reason I did not weigh in after my first 30 days.  I knew in my head that something was really changing for me, and I was pretty sure I could tell it in my clothes as well, but I knew if I weighed in and saw minimal changes in the numbers I would just crash and burn and I didn't want that.  I felt like I was soooo close to making a real change.  I wanted to give it enough time that there was NO WAY ON EARTH I was wrong about the changes I sensed.  So I have no idea how much I lost in my first 30 days, if anything.  Only you can say how much that number matters and where you go from here, only you know how you are feeling and if it's worth it to give it more time.  All I can advise is to just consider what you would go back to if you quit this and if there is any chance that those foods will improve the situation or not.  If you suspect not, hang with us for a little longer...February is a short month anyway! 

Another tip though, one of the things we hear over and over again with this program is that the scale lies.  In order to really show this to myself, when I did weigh myself at the end of 60 days, I deliberately did so twice a day all weekend long...from Friday night to Monday morning and saw a nearly 5 pound swing from morning to night or from day to day.  That alone gave me a lot of confidence in ignoring the number more and focusing instead on how clothes fit and how I felt.  I will be doing that again at the end of my 90 days here because I always want to be as clear-eyed about where I am as possible and I think with the scales...the best we are ever going to get is an average. 

No matter what else though, you stuck it out 30 days, how many people ever make that mark on any kind of diet?!  You still get me doing a happy dance for you!!!! 

(what a prize, lol!)

• Replies 284
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Susan, I'd love to do short and spiky hair! I'm working my way back to a pixie type of cut one cut at a time now. We'll see...

Crimsann, I think my other mode of "celebrating" will be regular workouts. I'm still working out how that looks for me  (see what I did there?  :D), but I know I need more than just the food thing now. 

So...working out. That's my new focus, since eating this way isn't so mentally and physically time consuming any longer. I promised my sisters I'd go to the gym today. I'm having a bit of trouble with that because it's pouring now, and as any depressed, Seasonal Affective Disordered soul knows, rain in winter is completely a no-go. That means there is ZERO chance I will venture out if it's not an absolute necessity. So I will find something to do in my apartment. 

As for successes during this round, sleep is improved, but allergies and headaches, not so much. But there's been a lot of thinking going on related to what to change and what to keep as I move forward. I will be keeping to the paleo lifestyle this time. I'd also like to make "I no longer eat that" my philosophy for dealing with sugar and grains. It's one thing to say "I'm not eating that for 30 days." It's a whole other animal to give it up on a more permanent basis. I know I will struggle with that, so will be looking for support in that effort. I saw a discussion on another thread here about abstainers vs. moderators. I found the description for this here:  https://gretchenrubin.com/happiness_project/2011/04/quiz-are-you-a-moderator-or-an-abstainer-when-trying-to-give-something-up/

You’re a moderator if you…
— find that occasional indulgence heightens your pleasure – and strengthens your resolve
— get panicky at the thought of “never” getting or doing something

You’re an abstainer if you…
— have trouble stopping something once you’ve started
— aren’t tempted by things that you’ve decided are off-limits

I believe I'm meant to be an abstainer because I can't stop once I've started, but I get panicky at the thought of never having something again. Where does that leave me? Will continue to mull this over. Time to get back to my cleaning, and get in some kind of workout so I'm not in trouble with my sisters. XO

• Moderators

Susan, I could eat whatever, but I'm NOT! See #2 in my post. I'm fully stocked with compliant foods and intend to stick to them. It was just the realization that I almost made it through the 30 days.

Just to be clear, if you complete the 30 days with no slips, cheats or excuses, then you've done a Whole30. Do we want you to go crazy on Day 31? Nope. But I just wanted to make sure that you all understand that the comment about not having done a Whole30 if you eat whatever you want on Day 31 is not accurate :)

Just as clarification, I took the eat anything I want on Day 31 comment to mean that all all W30 way of eating was over and the cake, cookies, bread, cheese, wine, etc. is on the menu Day 31.                                                                 

So this round of W30 lost about 4 pounds and 2" from waist - which actually is just getting rid of what I gained from end of last W30 in mid November to 12/31.  I take this as a win though.  

Hsheffield - sounds like you have been battling fluid retention issues and that makes it hard to gauge accuracy of the scale.  I can vary 2# from one day to the next so don't be down on yourself about a 1# loss.  Considering that you ate plenty of good food, didn't weight it or count calories, points, etc. and wasn't hungry this is a victory.

Nancy - sounds like you are gaining a lot of information about yourself and your relationship with food that will serve you well.  10# down in 30 days is awesome!  I know it's not where you want to stay but it is a great start.  I think your idea of adding activity is great - I try to go to the gym regularly and I joke that I do that so that I don't have to take drugs to stay sane :lol: I like the moderator vs. abstainer idea - will have to think about that some.  I know some foods without brakes might be in the abstain category but for others I want to just be able to make a conscious decision to have some and then stop.  I already know that I have addictive tendencies so will have to sort it out.

Crimsann - looking forward to continuing to read your very insightful posts and seeing your progress over the next days.

Susan - I'm with you on the gluten free cookies, crackers, breads, etc.  Now I realize that it's all just empty calories so one of my ongoing goals is to limit all of that.  I hope your friend does well - maybe the silver lining will be that she will enjoy the gym work and continue it.

Weather today was awesome - in the 60s - so hubby fixed ribs on the grill.  I made cole slaw with homemade mayo and re-introduced beans in the form of homemade baked beans.  Coupled with the longer days it almost felt like Spring :)

Anyone doing the  Whole9 challenge?  If so, what is the challenge for February?  My goals:  liven up the food a little with recipes, eat more veg, slow roll reintro, and just eat real food.

I'm signed up for the Whole9 challenge. I think February is nutrition-related. Fine by me, as I need to deal with the sugar addiction. For now, NO sugar. NONE. Ditto all grains, even the whole ones. I'd like to add back green tea, but I can't drink it without sweetening it, so nope. And I won't go back to artificial sweeteners either. I have a couple of small bottles of flavored drops for water and I'm tossing them. I haven't missed them all that much.

My workday is about to start, so off I go. Sounds like everyone has a plan in place for the next 30, so here we go!

A couple days after my 30 ended, I'm still totally compliant. I see no reason to change that. I know that as spring gets closer and the days get longer, I'll feel a bit better each day. Now I'm trying to arrange my schedule to get to the gym in the morning. This is a big shift for me, as I've been showering and washing my hair at night. Now, with it shorter, it looks better if I wash it in the morning. So I might as well go to the gym before I do that, right? One of these days, I'll be out of bed in enough time to do that, but since I leave for work by shortly after six, that's going to take some real effort. I know that in the long run, it'll be the best thing. I'm a morning person, and I've done the morning workout thing before, so I can do it again. I'm having trouble committing to a start date though, probably because we're still in the thick of winter and I can't imagine sitting in my car at 4:15am!

I hope everyone is moving forward as planned! I know we all had different ideas of what that looks like.

Doing ok diet wise.  Still having issues with slow digestion but trying to incorporate more cooked veggies and tons of water.  I did go ahead of introduce dairy in the form of cream (whipped!) to go on a SWYPO dessert.  Now seem to be retaining fluid again as well as a small rash and some tender knees (which are all symptoms that I pretty much expected - but it was worth it and now I will move on).  Biggest problem is that I re-started taking estrogen yesterday morning because I was having hot flashes - I didn't really expect it to impact my eyes so quick but yesterday and today were horrible.  After having a great week last week I think it made this relapse seem worse.  I don't know if the dairy had any impact on the return of my hot flashes or on my eyes but is something to think about, research and maybe test later on.  Plan - avoid estrogen (depending on hot flashes and how long it affects my eyes), avoid dairy until want to reintro at some later point, stay mostly W30, eat plenty of cooked veg.

Nancy - I am a morning person too and work out in the mornings - however, the thought of having to leave home at 4:15am is unimaginable to me :blink: Any chance of being able to shift your work hours?  I haven't been in the gym nearly enough in the last few weeks so do whatever you can to make it more manageable!

Happy Hump Day tomorrow everyone.

Hi there crew,

I am NOT rushing to add in anything, although I have had a teeny bit of this and that....but then basically returning to compliance. I had a BIG urge for a latte today, but resisted and am actually thinking about abstaining from coffee completely going forward.

I have been reading the whole9 challenge thread, and they are focusing still on food and personal growth this month. For me, my goals, besides staying true to compliance in general, I want to stick with a morning meditation program I have been doing for the past month with the help of a phone app called Headspace...free for the first ten sessions....super nice Aussie accent from the guy who talks you through the exercises....Lindy, you can tell me if he sounds genuine or not...

And then, the big reach for me this month is to get through a speech I am giving next week to a conference of a couple of hundred women. I don't mind public speaking, but I've had a really hard time with this believing that I have anything to say.....but the speech is basically done, for better or worse....although I may still tinker with it some...

And then, the other struggle I've been having is increasingly believing I am past my shelf life at work....my young colleagues are all so super smart, talented with statistics, technology...well, everything....and those skills came along more or less after my time....so I am going to make a commitment to write ONE blog post for my group.....my first.....before the end of the month. If I can do that, I am hoping I. Will see a lane I can travel for and with the group for as much longer as I want to work.

I will be official retirement age next year in April, although not sure I want to....but would love to feel I have more to offer ur group if I stay...so that. The personal growth goal for me.

I hope you all are feeling strong and good. Let's keep it up!!

Merg, technical things may have come along after your "prime" and you may feel the need to catch up on those, but I refuse to believe any younger colleagues have any more to offer than you with your wealth of experience and knowledge!!  My mom is in her 70s and still learning new things about her business while teaching and helping others in the same field.  Now, if you are looking to "ride your own bicycle" and move on to exploring other things outside of work, that's a different story. :)

I'm getting serious about dry brushing for my personal growth this month (I'm officially on W30 still/again) - I learned about it on the cruise and brought home an expensive brush so I really need to stick with it.  I don't know yet if all the benefits the masseuse told me about will happen, but it certainly does get my circulation flowing so I'm not so cold. :D

You’re a moderator if you…

— find that occasional indulgence heightens your pleasure – and strengthens your resolve

— get panicky at the thought of “never” getting or doing something

You’re an abstainer if you…

— have trouble stopping something once you’ve started

— aren’t tempted by things that you’ve decided are off-limits

I believe I'm meant to be an abstainer because I can't stop once I've started, but I get panicky at the thought of never having something again. Where does that leave me? Will continue to mull this over. Time to get back to my cleaning, and get in some kind of workout so I'm not in trouble with my sisters. XO

First, let me admit I haven't taken time to read this article, mostly because my knee-jerk reaction to ANYONE who thinks they can divide the world into two groups is that they are oversimplyfing things to an alarming degree.  In my obstinate way, I would delight in pointing out that I am both and neither just like you Nancy and immediately stop trying to be one or the other when that doesn't fit. 

I do find that I lean towards the opposite two tendencies though, so we will need to divy up who gets to be the Modstainer and who gets to be the Abderator.  Since you are even prentending to hit the gym, which is more than I'm doing, I think that gives you the edge on anything to do with Ab's...and I don't mind being Mod even if it comes a bit stained? 

So, my shake and bake chicken salad?  Epic.  Fail.  But let me hasten to say, I don't think this has anything to do with the recipe.  In my usual fashion I treated that recipe as a list of general suggestions and this time it didn't work for me.  My first problem was, in my imagination, using skin-on boneless chicken breasts was somehow going to result in crispy/nutty/crunchy skin despite this being baked for a relatively short amount of time.  I even had to make three stops to find chicken that way, which was fate TRYING to warn me to no use.  I also mixed up the spices, used red pepper flakes rather than digging out cayenne...skipped all the green herbs in favor of my still favorite cumin/chili combo...about the only thing I did right was use the nuts and the mayo.  What I got out of it was rubbery skin with a coating of nuts, which made slicing the chicken nearly impossible.  Removing the skin removes the nuts which was the whole point because I'm now left with plain chicken. 

The salad dressing?  Just as bad.  While in theory that one sounded great, and it's not actually bad tasting, it ended up being really watery which does nothing to help disguise boring chicken taste.  In fact, the only day so far I've braved trying to eat this mess I ended up dipping the apple slices in the mustard dressing and contemplating making a savoury apple slaw with those two elements instead.  The only reason I haven't done this is because I suspect that combo was only as good as it was because I was comparing it to the aforementioned chicken!!!   

So lessons learned, for what I wanted to get out of it...I think I would be better off using that shake and bake on something with a higher natural fat content if I want "crispy" because baking it longer/higher is only going to hasten how quick the nuts burn.  Flavor wise, my combo wasn't bad, but it would have worked far better on skinless chicken.  The dressing needs a makeover.  I may toy with cooking down the apple cider to a syrup which would both heighten the apple flavor and the sweetness but eliminate some of the water.   But not this weekend.

Instead I'm letting insanity reign and instead of going back to a tried and true recipe, I'm playing with the idea of making a stroganoff type dish with cashew sour cream.  Which there is a good chance I won't love it and I will be staring hopelessly at my lunch bag all next week too.  LOL!  Actually, I sort of have a plan B on this, never fear.  I'm thinking about making beef/mushroom balls and trying both the sour "cream" sauce and also having a stash of compliant pasta sauce just in case. 

So I realize that even compliant ingredient sour cream is probably a no-no for a Whole30 but as previously discussed I won't be doing a strict Whole30 next month so I'm wondering if anyone has tried any versions of sour cream during your own "off-season" and what your thoughts were?

@Merg...I almost never agree to proof-read speeches because when you are going to "speak the words" it has to be in your own voice more than ever, but if you ever want a sounding board...and especially for your blog post...you are welcome to PM me!  I secretly ghost-write for several of the executives where I work at night and proof for others, even when I haven't a clue what the topic is about I'm used to polishing up pieces while leaving as much as possible in the authors voice.  If that would in any way make it easier to take the first plunge...

Merg, technical things may have come along after your "prime" and you may feel the need to catch up on those, but I refuse to believe any younger colleagues have any more to offer than you with your wealth of experience and knowledge!!  My mom is in her 70s and still learning new things about her business while teaching and helping others in the same field.  Now, if you are looking to "ride your own bicycle" and move on to exploring other things outside of work, that's a different story. :)

I'm getting serious about dry brushing for my personal growth this month (I'm officially on W30 still/again) - I learned about it on the cruise and brought home an expensive brush so I really need to stick with it.  I don't know yet if all the benefits the masseuse told me about will happen, but it certainly does get my circulation flowing so I'm not so cold. :D

I want to do the dry brushing too--I have a lovely brush and do it occasionally but will commit to it now for this month. What an inspiration you are! (I'm just too lazy to do it or am already in the shower by the time I remember.)

Nancy - I am a morning person too and work out in the mornings - however, the thought of having to leave home at 4:15am is unimaginable to me :blink: Any chance of being able to shift your work hours?  I haven't been in the gym nearly enough in the last few weeks so do whatever you can to make it more manageable!

I already did shift my work hours to stay out of the heavier traffic. I spent 2010 and 2011 commuting an hour each way for work, and that left me with a serious aversion to traffic! So I just have to get used to the idea and DO IT. It might take me till the nicer weather gets here to make it a habit, but I will.  :wacko:

First, let me admit I haven't taken time to read this article, mostly because my knee-jerk reaction to ANYONE who thinks they can divide the world into two groups is that they are oversimplyfing things to an alarming degree.  In my obstinate way, I would delight in pointing out that I am both and neither just like you Nancy and immediately stop trying to be one or the other when that doesn't fit. 

I do find that I lean towards the opposite two tendencies though, so we will need to divy up who gets to be the Modstainer and who gets to be the Abderator.  Since you are even prentending to hit the gym, which is more than I'm doing, I think that gives you the edge on anything to do with Ab's...and I don't mind being Mod even if it comes a bit stained? 

Haha! Thanks for the chuckle--I needed that.

I went off-road today at lunch. I made the decision consciously, but not under the best of circumstances. I ate bread and butter with my lunch, and am determined to let that be the end of it. It was a long, difficult morning, and that's what led to it. If I can prevent a total melt-down now, then it will have been totally worth it. It's that Modstainer/Aberator thing... 

What is dry-brushing? My first thought was something to do with teeth...

• Moderators

So, my shake and bake chicken salad?  Epic.  Fail.  But let me hasten to say, I don't think this has anything to do with the recipe.  In my usual fashion I treated that recipe as a list of general suggestions and this time it didn't work for me.  My first problem was, in my imagination, using skin-on boneless chicken breasts was somehow going to result in crispy/nutty/crunchy skin despite this being baked for a relatively short amount of time.  I even had to make three stops to find chicken that way, which was fate TRYING to warn me to no use.  I also mixed up the spices, used red pepper flakes rather than digging out cayenne...skipped all the green herbs in favor of my still favorite cumin/chili combo...about the only thing I did right was use the nuts and the mayo.  What I got out of it was rubbery skin with a coating of nuts, which made slicing the chicken nearly impossible.  Removing the skin removes the nuts which was the whole point because I'm now left with plain chicken. 

The salad dressing?  Just as bad.  While in theory that one sounded great, and it's not actually bad tasting, it ended up being really watery which does nothing to help disguise boring chicken taste.  In fact, the only day so far I've braved trying to eat this mess I ended up dipping the apple slices in the mustard dressing and contemplating making a savoury apple slaw with those two elements instead.  The only reason I haven't done this is because I suspect that combo was only as good as it was because I was comparing it to the aforementioned chicken!!!   

So lessons learned, for what I wanted to get out of it...I think I would be better off using that shake and bake on something with a higher natural fat content if I want "crispy" because baking it longer/higher is only going to hasten how quick the nuts burn.  Flavor wise, my combo wasn't bad, but it would have worked far better on skinless chicken.  The dressing needs a makeover.  I may toy with cooking down the apple cider to a syrup which would both heighten the apple flavor and the sweetness but eliminate some of the water.   But not this weekend.

This was great!  I'm sorry your chicken sucked but this totally made me laugh... mostly because I've made some seriously fail-eo recipes and I power through and eat it because I don't throw out food... 

• Moderators

I went off-road today at lunch. I made the decision consciously, but not under the best of circumstances. I ate bread and butter with my lunch, and am determined to let that be the end of it. It was a long, difficult morning, and that's what led to it. If I can prevent a total melt-down now, then it will have been totally worth it. It's that Modstainer/Aberator thing... 

Are you done your whole30?

For all that are done, we ask that you guys go to the Post Whole30 logs and make a thread where your group can talk about re-intros and off roading... it gets confusing to people who come along and haven't been following along to see bread and butter being consumed but no context... 

I can start a thread for you and put the link here if you want :)

I want to do the dry brushing too--I have a lovely brush and do it occasionally but will commit to it now for this month. What an inspiration you are! (I'm just too lazy to do it or am already in the shower by the time I remember.)

lol, I don't know how many times I have been about to step into the perfect temperature shower when it dawns on me that I should have already brushed.  If I'm in a rush, I try to remember to do it at night, lately I have made a concerted effort to talk myself into taking the few steps/minutes back to grab my brush.

Using a brush with natural bristles (mine is cactus, acquired during a massage on the cruise - they can be had MUCH cheaper anywhere else) and brushing your body.  Supposed to have many benefits including exfoliation, improving circulation, reducing cellulite, etc.  I don't know about the cellulite, but it definitely exfoliates and gets your blood pumping. :)

http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2014/02/24/dry-skin-brushing.aspx

For all that are done, we ask that you guys go to the Post Whole30 logs and make a thread where your group can talk about re-intros and off roading... it gets confusing to people who come along and haven't been following along to see bread and butter being consumed but no context... 

We're kind of a mixed bag in this group. Some are continuing on with W30/45/60, some are working on reintros. We can move if that's preferable!

• Moderators

We're kind of a mixed bag in this group. Some are continuing on with W30/45/60, some are working on reintros. We can move if that's preferable!

You guys are totally welcome to stay here and support those that are still going and enjoy eachothers company of course. If you don't mind discussing the re-intro portion on the Post Whole30 boards, that helps with anyone new that jumps in... I was pretty sure you were done but if I was a newbie and just started and saw you introduced bread and butter, that might be really confusing :)

I am doing AIP so will be carrying on longer but I think everyone else is mostly complete or will be by the end of next week?

Is there an AIP thread? I have been looking but haven't come across it yet. I don't post every day but do like to have a base to check in. Perhaps I should go back to the Whole9 and follow along there.

I was under the impression that we had been together so long, some of us going back to September, and since some were going longer, that includes me, we were going to stay here and those who were going on would learn something about reintro from those who were so we could be more prepared. Is there some way we could put a note on page 1 to let people know this is a mixed group?

I think we can still stay together and just move to the reintro section...I don't mind setting that up.  I think what they are worried about is that new members tend to see only the most recent posts and wouldn't read back pages to realize we aren't a "join us, just starting up" group at this point.  Not that we aren't open to people joining us, but this section of the forum is more for people who are starting out on a Whole30.

It might actually be nice to plan a thread in another section for this group and for anyone who tags along, with the idea that it would follow us for the rest of this year?  We started out together, and we will do many different things over the year, but if we planned right now to still be chatting about wherever we are in our journey at the end of the year as well that might be some subtle reinforcement of our commitment to better health this year and keep us at least near the track and accountable to each other...

• Moderators

I think we can still stay together and just move to the reintro section...I don't mind setting that up.  I think what they are worried about is that new members tend to see only the most recent posts and wouldn't read back pages to realize we aren't a "join us, just starting up" group at this point.  Not that we aren't open to people joining us, but this section of the forum is more for people who are starting out on a Whole30.

It might actually be nice to plan a thread in another section for this group and for anyone who tags along, with the idea that it would follow us for the rest of this year?  We started out together, and we will do many different things over the year, but if we planned right now to still be chatting about wherever we are in our journey at the end of the year as well that might be some subtle reinforcement of our commitment to better health this year and keep us at least near the track and accountable to each other...

You hit the nail on the head!  I would love for you guys to have a place to go for the full year!  You can do more Whole30's from that thread too if you were to want to... The 'join' section is more for newbies or people wanting a group to do a Whole30 with..you guys are already a group unto yourselves so the fit for the next year would be better over there.

If you need help finding where to go, let me know... otherwise feel free to start the thread and then post the link here for your group :)

Archived