TTT and Renewed Crew January Journey

NancyW

Good morning! I really love that coming here is like having coffee with dear friends. It's wonderful to have this kind of support. 

I'm not used to eating before I leave the house in the morning. I usually take my breakfast to work. But I'm eating before I leave for the dentist. I could have made a "real" breakfast, but out of habit, I got out a frozen thing (sweet potato shepherd's pie) to heat up. That leaves me with a few extra minutes--not a bad thing!

Crimsann - I was the one who was talking about shredding sweet potatoes. I don't usually do that. In fact, the hash "orange" potatoes didn't turn out that great (grate? LOL). I usually cook them ahead and heat one for a meal. Will try the griddle method though, as I like the idea of them getting brown. Usually they just go in the microwave for a minute. 

Day 5, no headache this morning, and feeling pretty good. Maybe the worst is over... If not, I will soldier on!

• Replies 284
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrators

Good to know bpaitsel...I too was sort of thinking maybe it's just me as I can't recall seeing anyone else sort of ho-hum about it.  This week I did carrots as part of my Meal 2 and thought for a change I would just steam them instead of roasting them.  Mistake I think, maybe it's just that they are so off season here, but I usually totally enjoy steamed veggies even where other people are bored to tears with the blandness...but even I am slogging my way through them.  I tried a drizzle of avocado oil but it so didn't work for them. 

I can't stand ghee.  :)

Try some fresh or dried dill on your carrots.  Carrots LOVE dill!

Try some fresh or dried dill on your carrots.  Carrots LOVE dill!

Ahhh, dill...yes great idea!  I may play around with a dilly mayo dip or maybe a bit of dill in that oil drizzle so it still has the fat boost and perks the flavor right up.  I think you are on to something there. 

We shall conquer flavor without the aid of ghee, yes we shall.

Update on my morning struggles...I did actually eat something I cooked before I left the house and got all the template pieces in.  This would be a "hurrah" if it hadn't meant I was also twenty minutes late to work after finding by car covered in heavy unscrapable frost.  I do have some flexibility there regarding not arriving on time (or I would have been out on my ear years ago)...but it's not something I want to push too far so this is not exactly a success yet.  Still, step in the right direction.  I do also have the not unexpected headache showing up this morning, granted myself a second cup of coffee though for me this means I maybe got 4 oz total before I got distracted and it cooled off too much.  It didn't really make much of a difference though which is a sure sign this is more sugar related than anything else.  I actually really enjoy hot black strong coffee so it was mentally soothing if nothing else.  Switching to water now as more isn't going to do anything for me. 

In unrelated but cheery news, I got the schedule for this years fairy/miniature garden class at the local greenhouse.  This is the single thing that keeps me going in the winter, dreaming about that one perfect Saturday in March when the outside world is still grim...but I get to spend the morning in a greenhouse with a zillion baby green things all breathing out spring.  It's only a slight exaggeration to say my entire world revolves around that first sign of hope.  I mentioned, I think, I hate winter?  Prepare for me to mention it a couple more times.  :P  Just having that date on my calendar though makes a little difference and it's rarely been announced so early.  Brightens my whole day...so I thought I would toss in a picture or two of last years garden to maybe brighten our thread a bit too.

fg1_zps1hiqvecs.jpg  fg2_zpsysmiuyyj.jpg

LOVE the fairy garden, and I totally get your xcitement about it. Mine is for a day long seminar here in February designed for professional landscapers, but they let we amateurs in as well and this year's session has a lot in it about bees and shade loving plants...which is mostly all I've got....oh yes, and they have to be deer and dog proof as well. The seminar in Feb gets me all fired up to order plants and dream of a TOTALLY new approach to my garden....which happens every year...and then dies by about mid May when the weather gets hot...but I like to get enthused anyway, LOL.

I like my homemade ghee, although I wonder, from a cholesterol point of view is EVOO or coconut oil isn't better for you?

I may be a total dunce, but I still don't understand how to have sweet taters ready for a hash in the am...I usually take my meal one to work as well, Nancy, so the whole hash thing sounds like it takes more time than I have...

I'm feeling pretty good...still cleaning out inside me, but soon should be done w that phase.

Another day done and doesn't seem like much effort - I guess that's a good thing.  I do seem to be hanging onto some pesky fluid retention but hopefully that is going to resolve soon.

Merg - Talking about the sweet potatoes, I don't know if you would like this or not, but what I do is on Sunday's I cook about 1 1/2 pounds of sausage crumbled up, add in about 3 large peeled and cubed sweet potatoes (about 6-7 cups) and one large chopped onion and cook that until the sweet potatoes are just tender.  Can also add cinnamon if you like.  I usually portion it out into mason jars and grab one in the  mornings to take for breakfast.  I work out in the AM's so I can take that with me to eat before work, with whatever veg  you want and it gives me the carbs after my workout.  Sometimes pair it with a good salad for lunch too.  I love it and never get tired of it!  ( I do try to not eat it twice in one day though  :) )

Crimsann  - love the fairy gardens - sounds great.

Agreed, I think I saw it on some of the bottles as well...I know the lemon one I have definitely said you could leave it out.  I believe it was shelf stable for less time than if you kept it chilled but it was still a good month or so just sitting out.  I know you almost had to leave the lemon out or it was more a matter of chipping off some dressing than drizzling it.  And that might be it's own texture but...

I made that Green Goddess stuff over the weekend and just tasted it last night, it's pretty fab guys.  It's almost like the love child of ranch dressing and guacamole.  I could see right away why she said it was either dip or dressing depending on how thick you made it because it was great on a salad but I could see it on other things as well.  Keeper.  I will be curious to see if it stays green more than a couple days with that avocado base, but so far at 24+ hours it was still really goddessy that way. 

No comment from me on how breakfast went today, sigh.  But I will say I was up and mobile faster than yesterday so still hope I can get myself back in shape there.  If I'm still saying that next week this time though, someone call me out. 

Question for the group...anyone not really like ghee and then found one they did like?  Do you make yours and like it a ton better?  I've used avocado oil almost exclusively in place of butter but there are a couple of things I don't find that working with.  I'm not sure ghee is the answer either, but so far I've really been turned off it by the two brands I've tried (would have to check labels to say for sure which they were) and looking for something else to try.

Hi

When I could have Ghee I made my own crockpot Ghee and both my husband and I love it. Very easy to do.

Hello 

I have just trawled through catching up and everyone seems to be doing well.

We went shopping today and I have now made 12 breakfasts ready and waiting in the fridge. It is so easy to do it that way--I just love my beet root, carrot, liver, pork mince, kumara mix then add veg on the side. Brilliant. No thinking needed. Does anyone recognize a theme here? I hate time in the kitchen so do as much as I can and stock the freezer up with ready made meals. I'm not that bad because I do cook but am not that good at it and have many other things I would rather do.

I have ordered the AutoImmune Cookbook so that should give me some more ideas about meals.

It is amazing that today is my day 7 and almost over--the first week done! And no problems or major upsets--even with a meal away from home in the middle.

I'm loving this week in January.

Glad to be here with you all again. Like Nancy says it is almost like having coffee with friends--wouldn't miss it. 

Now I have to go make dinner! Seems all I have done lately is food stuff, one of these days I shall have to wash the floor! :)

good morning all!

wasn't hungry again most of yesterday. did have a late afternoon light headedness that I believe was hunger. think I need to up  my lunch.

I've been eating 3 meals regardless of hunger. I think I understand that eating regardless is supposed to reset my body, right?

one week down at the end of today. 

just saw that there was a new book published 1/5/16 by Harvard MD named Ludwig about the health benefits of higher fat lower carb. I haven't read it yet but it sounds very similar to Whole30.  one quote : 'for sustainable weight loss, feed your fat cells' 

title: 'Always Hungry'  yep, that was me. 

Hi, All,

I'm on day 7, and finally feeling like a human being again. The carb flu this time was rough-- maybe because I ate lots of things I don't usually eat during the holidays. Nausea, headache, joint pain, skin breakout, muscle cramping during yoga (Natural Calm is awesome and helps!). None of that was fun. I don't tolerate cheese well, and I had it nearly every day for 2 weeks during december. And sweets.....

But, woke up this morning feeling decent and alert. Shrimp, broccoli, cauliflower and coconut aminos for breakfast. I have always loved savory breakfast!

Not high energy by any means, but a period of grace so I can just kind of get through the day more easily. Also, I seem to have gravitated to the AIP protocol. I've been trying to listen to what my body is asking for, not what it's craving. For now that looks like no tomatoes for sure. A big reason I'm doing this again is joint pain and inflammation. I've been reading the blog Phoenix Helix and loving it.

Wishing everyone a happy day. Keep fighting for your best health!!

Good morning! I'm at work early (as usual--if I don't get here before the traffic picks up, I'm "KILL ALL THE THINGS" all day every day). Not fun! Sluggish and headachy this morning. I'll power through, because I know it's temporary.

My sister shared a post on Facebook with "experts" ranking 38 diets, and Whole30 was number 38 on the list. I felt bad about that until I realized that Jenny Craig, Slim Fast, and Nutrisystem were all ranked much higher!! :o  What kind of moronic "expert" ranks a plan based on over-processed fake food over a plan with real, healthy food??? Sheesh. I took the opportunity to share my experience, and my doctor's thoughts as well. He said he loved the results and I should keep doing what I'm doing! So "experts," please shut up.

Ok, time for coffee with friends to end and work to begin. But I'll see y'all later!!

And who only comes up with 38 diets to rank, that alone seems ludicrous...there are hundreds/zillions or do the top 20 or 40...38 is just so completely random sounding.  It offends my sense of symmetry. 

Not like I would be easily offended today either.  ::snicker:: 

Just got a last minute invite to a friends birthday this weekend...didn't realize before as who cares about age, but this is a milestone type one for her so I am motivated to attend but staring blankly at my meal plan trying to figure out what to take.  She is an adventurous eater who has played along with my W30 diet before when we did a slumber party last summer...but with all her other guests I have to decide if I'm going to try to take something that masquerades as actual party food while secretly being compliant or just make something more mainstream celebratory and stay out of it myself.  I'm not really worried about being tempted by what I make if I go the second route, but part of me thinks that is just the easy route.  If I had more time to plan...pffft. 

Crimsann, what about something like the "almond joy" energy balls made with dates, cocoa powder, crushed almonds and coconut?

Or a totally smashing guac, salsa, or colorful cold starchy salad?  We did the roasted root veg last night and it was gorgeously tasty.  This time it had purple sweet potatoes, parsnips, carrots, and tiny little flat onions.  Was thinking at the time that cut into smaller cubes with some added nuts for texture and a nice home made dressing it would be a great cold salad as well.

By the way, love the miniature fairy garden.  My daughter and I have always shared the fascination with fairies.  Her favorite when she was in her teens was Amy Brown.  Perhaps I can arrange for her to have the garden on a special occasion coming up. :)

Hello all - Hope everyone is doing well.

I'm on day 4 right now and I notice yesterday all my bloating has vanished.  I can't believe I didn't realize how bloated I was feeling. 

Overall, I'm feeling okay. Little bit of a headache/tiredness, but nothing compared to my first time around.  I'm pretty happy about that considering how poorly I've eaten the last couple weeks.

Yesterday was pretty chilly here and I wanted nothing more than a nice, warm, cozy cup of hot cocoa.  I settled for a cup of peach tea.  Which definitely helped warm me up, but I just don't get that cozy feel from tea or black coffee.  LOL.  (Life's tough, huh?   :P )

I'm definitely with all of the cilantro haters.  I love avocado/guac and i hesitate ordering when out because it's always full of cilantro.

I've been gating sweet potatoes and making them in the morning with breakfast.  I just throw it in a pan with some ghee and brown it up a little and mix it in with my eggs.  I like when they get a little crispy.  I've tried regular potatoes a few times, but i can't seem to get them to crisp up like the sweets.  They just seem to get mushy.  Maybe i'll try baking them first.

hsheffield -  Whaat?!?!  Nom Nom Paleo has a podcast!!!  :D  I am definitely going to check that out.  That may be my highlight of the afternoon!  

And who only comes up with 38 diets to rank, that alone seems ludicrous...there are hundreds/zillions or do the top 20 or 40...38 is just so completely random sounding.  It offends my sense of symmetry. 

LOL!!!  Love this!! I almost spit out my water reading this!

Ending day 7 means a whole week of whole30 is done!  It seems like it went fast!   I'm feeling tired today, but my hands and knees are already feeling much better.  My college kids will be leaving me tomorrow and, while I'm sad, it means that their junk food will also be leaving so my life will get a little easier.

Crimsann I look forward to hearing how you handle the party.  I'm always happy to see fruit, veggies and nuts when I go to an event.  Even if I eat ahead of time I still feel awkward if everyone is nibbling while I'm not.  

Regarding the top diet list...I can't believe that Whole30 is placed so low.  I haven't read the article so I don't know what the ratings are based on, but I've been on a number of those plans, and W30  1) is easier to follow 2)  is full of healthy food and 3) yields (for me) a more rapid and consistent weight loss, and all without feeling deprived and hungry all of the time.  Add to this the additional benefits of joint pain being reduced and it certainly tops my list.

I hope you all have a wonderful Friday!  I get to wear jeans to work (I'm a high school teacher and this is actually pretty exciting!) tomorrow and I'm looking forward to seeing if my jeans (the ones that seemed to shrink in December) might have loosened up a tiny bit.  

Boy, I was tested today. I've worked for Girl Scouts for almost 17 years, and I could ignore the cookies on most days. But in the fall, we have a candy/nut sale. That's dangerous! Somebody left a box of dark chocolate salted caramels on the counter in the kitchen, and there were just two left in the box. I was struggling! Then a coworker came in and ate one piece, leaving just the one sitting there. I tried to force her to take it, but she said no. WHO TAKES JUST ONE PIECE OF CANDY??? I CAN'T TRUST A PERSON WHO WOULD DO THAT! Anyway, I did walk away when my lunch was heated up, but I used up every last ounce of willpower doing that. I ended up having a non-template snack of raw almonds and some grapes. Not the best choice, but it helped me get through.

Here's the link for the diet article: 38 Diets At least it was an even number. If they had ranked 39 diets, I'd have had an OCD episode!

Off to make some dinner and veg for the evening. It was a long, busy day at work, and I'm going to binge-watch some Breaking Bad on Netflix, yo!

7 days done!  Thought I was breezing through and then today a few hours of Kill All Things followed by thinking about Eating All Things. Could have been because I was late having lunch and had gotten really hangry or the fact that I had unexpected errands to do that infringed on my afternoon off.  Felt better after eating and putting everything into perspective.

Crimsann - I think I would take something to the party that is compliant so you will have something great to eat - especially since your friend has been so supportive of your choices.  Chances are, everyone will love what you bring too.

I read some of the info about the diet rankings too - I think last year the Paleo diet came in dead last.    Part of the ranking was on ease of the diet and they ranked W30 low - like it's easy to measure/weigh every single thing that goes in your mouth and keep track of calories or points.  Not to even mention that most calorie calculations aren't even accurate.  Most of the other diets (if any of them) aren't meant to be an elimination type of diet to actually let you find out foods that make you sick so really I think W30 shouldn't even have been included in that type of list.  The whole thing was really stupid . . . IMHO.

Anyway, everyone here seems to be doing pretty good and feeling better so that's what counts.  Happy Friday Eve.

Bpaitsel, thanks for the clear direction about breakfast. Sounds like a great solution and now I understand how to deal w the sweet taters. Grating them sounds like more work than I have in mind, so your plan sounds like a good one. I will cook it up over the weekend. Also have in mind to try to mak scotch eggs....but probably not in the same week as your concoction. I work out in the am too with walking my two big dogs, separately, so, by the time I am done, I am ready to get cleaned up and off to work. A grab and go jar for brekkie sounds great.

Crimsann, I would definitely take something you can eat. NomNom paleo has some good suggestions for appetizer type food...

Nancy, loved your post....and your will power. I am definitely still feeling the 3pm urge for something sweet, but, so far, doing well steering clear.

Hey, tonight I found a great salad recipe from Italy. Shredded green cabbage with two thinly sliced green apples, one thinly sliced onion, and one clove garlic pressed or minced...toss together and squirt 2 TB fresh lemon juice. Then, mince up about one quarter lb of bacon and fry until crisp. Remove all but 1TB bacon grease from the pan, throw 2TB olive oil into pan and the pour pan contents onto cabbage mixture, add crumbled bacon, 2 tsp fennel seeds, 1 tsp salt, and ground pepper and mix well. It was SO YUMMY along with a spatchcooked chicken (a la NomNom), and it was a divine dinner.

Good real food can be SO DELICIOUS!!!

Happy day seven today (tomorrow for me) everyone. Keep up the spirits and finding joy in how good you can feel.

diet rankings-everyone has an opinion!!

so here's mine: I'm not spending every minute of the day thinking about what I'm going to eat and when I'm going to get it into my mouth since I started this. I'm sleeping better, and this morning my hands and feet are less swollen after only a week. 

bottom line-my body is happier than it's been in a long time. and I'm eating food I really like so my heart is happier. 

what's not to like?

day 8: can't wait

diet rankings-everyone has an opinion!!

so here's mine: I'm not spending every minute of the day thinking about what I'm going to eat and when I'm going to get it into my mouth since I started this. I'm sleeping better, and this morning my hands and feet are less swollen after only a week. 

bottom line-my body is happier than it's been in a long time. and I'm eating food I really like so my heart is happier. 

what's not to like?

day 8: can't wait

Yes, EXACTLY!!!!

and don't you just love saying that you spatchcocked something??

That's exactly what I said to my mom when we talked about spatchcocking a turkey next year!! Makes me chuckle every time.

Hey, tonight I found a great salad recipe from Italy. Shredded green cabbage with two thinly sliced green apples, one thinly sliced onion, and one clove garlic pressed or minced...toss together and squirt 2 TB fresh lemon juice. Then, mince up about one quarter lb of bacon and fry until crisp. Remove all but 1TB bacon grease from the pan, throw 2TB olive oil into pan and the pour pan contents onto cabbage mixture, add crumbled bacon, 2 tsp fennel seeds, 1 tsp salt, and ground pepper and mix well. It was SO YUMMY along with a spatchcooked chicken (a la NomNom), and it was a divine dinner.

Good real food can be SO DELICIOUS!!!

Happy day seven today (tomorrow for me) everyone. Keep up the spirits and finding joy in how good you can feel.

Oh, that does sound wonderful, because...bacon! I haven't gotten any sf bacon, but I might have to look for some!

Day 8 today. Short workday for me, since I put in extra time yesterday. One of the joys of being hourly and not being allowed to work overtime! I'm looking forward to a weekend with not much to do. Mani appointment with my daughter, coffee (instead of lunch--it's just easier that way!) with a friend I haven't seen in a while, and a whole lot of nothing else. I'll be puttering around my apartment, rereading It Starts With Food, just for kicks, and doing some cooking. I'm waiting on the Tessamae's Whole30 Pack, which has apparently been sent on a slow boat across the country (no wonder it's going to take so long!! LOL)...

TGIF! Will be back tonight...

I'm still kind of "deer in the headlights" with the party food, but I'm adding all these suggestions to the simmer pot and I really appreciate you guys tossing them out there because I feel like I've at least got a start!  I found myself really drawn to the "fruit/veggie/nut" idea and I'm wondering if I can't whip up some kind of coconut cream fruit dip...that's the sort of thing that could have universal appeal and be on the light side for all the NY resolution folks while being perfectly tasty and "normal" to the rest and secretly being entirely compliant if somewhat ill-advised as part of a normal meal.  But that's going to take some internet searching and some luck on finding a recipe or at least a start of one that I can tweak.  Easier would be a veggie dip for sure so that's Plan B but carrot sticks is a bit too obvious diet for my tastes.  My third idea is to make another batch of the Green Goddess dressing, having pre-confirmed that my friend appreciates the finer points of cilantro, and doing a sort of crispy chicken cobb salad.  And considering "to dip or not to dip" is a choice, I could also make the fruit dip non-compliant (which I've tons of recipes for) and just not use the dip myself.  At that point though I might as well make the cookies that I know my friend would probably want me to bring in the first place and leave her with all the leftovers. 

I won't struggle even slightly on being tempted by the other party food and I never drink, so that part isn't an issue.  The two people I will know who will be there are the two I'm the most "out" with about this diet plan and the two people on the PLANET I would never eat off plan in front of.  LOL!  So dusting my hands over the possibility of straying.  I am blessed with a genetic inability to care what people think of me in general terms so I wouldn't feel even a smidge awkward about not eating at a party and sticking to a coffee.  In fact eating only what I brought is almost more awkward in my mind!  The only thing that's causing me to freeze here is that I'm generally known as the "cook"...and whatever I bring is usually the first thing people try.  I guess I'm more worried about letting down my rep by bringing something that is great to US but the general audience would be like "ummm, that's got a really great personality that dish does." and secretly hiding it in their napkin.  This worry might sound like it's in direct contradiction to not care policy but I think perhaps I do care what people think about my dish.  Hoot, I'm completely ridiculous! 

So, wasn't there a day when people breathing too loud was going to drive us batty?  Well...two of my co-workers have serious congestion today and are wearing headphones so they can't hear themselves but let me tell you...they really, really ARE breathing too loud. 

I'm still kind of "deer in the headlights" with the party food, but I'm adding all these suggestions to the simmer pot and I really appreciate you guys tossing them out there because I feel like I've at least got a start!  I found myself really drawn to the "fruit/veggie/nut" idea and I'm wondering if I can't whip up some kind of coconut cream fruit dip...that's the sort of thing that could have universal appeal and be on the light side for all the NY resolution folks while being perfectly tasty and "normal" to the rest and secretly being entirely compliant if somewhat ill-advised as part of a normal meal.  But that's going to take some internet searching and some luck on finding a recipe or at least a start of one that I can tweak.  Easier would be a veggie dip for sure so that's Plan B but carrot sticks is a bit too obvious diet for my tastes.  My third idea is to make another batch of the Green Goddess dressing, having pre-confirmed that my friend appreciates the finer points of cilantro, and doing a sort of crispy chicken cobb salad.  And considering "to dip or not to dip" is a choice, I could also make the fruit dip non-compliant (which I've tons of recipes for) and just not use the dip myself.  At that point though I might as well make the cookies that I know my friend would probably want me to bring in the first place and leave her with all the leftovers. 

I won't struggle even slightly on being tempted by the other party food and I never drink, so that part isn't an issue.  The two people I will know who will be there are the two I'm the most "out" with about this diet plan and the two people on the PLANET I would never eat off plan in front of.  LOL!  So dusting my hands over the possibility of straying.  I am blessed with a genetic inability to care what people think of me in general terms so I wouldn't feel even a smidge awkward about not eating at a party and sticking to a coffee.  In fact eating only what I brought is almost more awkward in my mind!  The only thing that's causing me to freeze here is that I'm generally known as the "cook"...and whatever I bring is usually the first thing people try.  I guess I'm more worried about letting down my rep by bringing something that is great to US but the general audience would be like "ummm, that's got a really great personality that dish does." and secretly hiding it in their napkin.  This worry might sound like it's in direct contradiction to not care policy but I think perhaps I do care what people think about my dish.  Hoot, I'm completely ridiculous! 

So, wasn't there a day when people breathing too loud was going to drive us batty?  Well...two of my co-workers have serious congestion today and are wearing headphones so they can't hear themselves but let me tell you...they really, really ARE breathing too loud. 

How funny: 'genetic inability to care what people think' that is the best description I have heard--may I use it sometime? And perhaps I will internalize the action. And caring what people do think about your dish is a contradiction but then we are people--full of controversy and that's what makes each of us unique.

I have had a huge smile and outloud laugh at your comments this morning and I love it--thanks so much. :wub:  (wanted to give you a rose but couldn't figure out how to do that) xxL 

Morning,

My Day 9 and I am still okay, had a struggle with sugar late yesterday afternoon, it called and called. I didn't answer. I have backed off even fruit for now so am really wanting sweet things occasionally but so far am not giving in.

My breakfast is cooking as I write and it is so good, yesterday I got side-tracked while it was cooking and I burned it but even then it tasted good!!! I love my breakfast now. Considering a few months ago I never even ate breakfast until 1 or 2pm that's a huge step. I refuse to leave the house without it now, even get up early if I have to so I can eat. My how times change.

Will check in later. 

Enjoy your weekend all, will be waiting to hear what you decided Crimsann. :)

Archived