TTT and Renewed Crew January Journey

NancyW

Hi Merg - glad you are doing well and thinking about re-intros.  After my first W30 dairy was my first intro and darn if I didn't find out, after doing it 3 weeks in a row, that it seems to cause me knee pain.  Cynthia told me that it does her Mom the same way.  After that, my intros got a little murky and then sugar dragon took over so this time I plan to do non-gluten grains (specifically corn and rice) since these are in gluten free foods; since I have to be gluten free I won't be introducing that.  Then legumes and then dairy - I'm still a little amazed that this could cause my knee pain so I will test it again.  I have taken nightshades out this time because I was seeming to have some reactions so I'll probably do those before dairy - no sure yet.  Whatever the order, I'm going to be very careful and do one food group at a time and allow at least 3 days in between.  After that and I have some good information, I pretty much want to do like Crimsann and add in some recipes with compliant ingredients.  Anyway, that's my plan - hopefully I won't screw up the execution of it :)

• Replies 284
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm with Crimsann except I want to try to keep up the strict whole30 rules through February.

I'm not feeling like my metabolism is even close to recovering. I'm 57 and a lifelong dieter w/ looming metabolic syndrome/type 2 diabetes. I made a chart of my labs over the last 10 years and my triglycerides, fasting glucose and Hg A1C are all headed that direction. I'm hoping that the whole30 will reverse this but no idea of how long it will take. 

Woke up with a headache again today and the hands/feet are swollen. I'm pretty sure I didn't eat anything off plan yesterday though last weekend I ate from a buffet. I had one bite of short rib that tasted like there might have been wine in its preparation so I didn't eat more. The rest was vegetable and baked fish. However in retrospect there could have been non plan things in the food that I didn't recognize....

I dreamed last night that I ate nuts that had been fried in canola oil. 

So my plan is to keep going with the whole30 until I get tiger blood.  It's hard not to give up- though I try to keep remembering where my metabolism has been going. I need to get some energy somewhere.  It's depressing to think about living the rest of my life in a fugue state.

I'm with Crimsann except I want to try to keep up the strict whole30 rules through February.

I'm not feeling like my metabolism is even close to recovering. I'm 57 and a lifelong dieter w/ looming metabolic syndrome/type 2 diabetes. I made a chart of my labs over the last 10 years and my triglycerides, fasting glucose and Hg A1C are all headed that direction. I'm hoping that the whole30 will reverse this but no idea of how long it will take. 

Woke up with a headache again today and the hands/feet are swollen. I'm pretty sure I didn't eat anything off plan yesterday though last weekend I ate from a buffet. I had one bite of short rib that tasted like there might have been wine in its preparation so I didn't eat more. The rest was vegetable and baked fish. However in retrospect there could have been non plan things in the food that I didn't recognize....

I dreamed last night that I ate nuts that had been fried in canola oil. 

So my plan is to keep going with the whole30 until I get tiger blood.  It's hard not to give up- though I try to keep remembering where my metabolism has been going. I need to get some energy somewhere.  It's depressing to think about living the rest of my life in a fugue state.

Hi

I have you looked at the AI protocol? There may be some things in the straight W30 that are undermining you even though they are compliant. I did a complete W30 and while some positives happened, I was not happy with the progress and switched to AI, it has taken some time but now I think (cautiously optimistic) something more is happening. Certainly feels like it at a deeper level. Because I can't bear to think of another long term plan that may not work, I am only doing this one day at a time--although the freezer is stocked up for at least two weeks ahead :)

You might want to check it out and see if it is a fit for you. Honestly it is not that much different than W30 so not a huge change but those changes have made a difference to me I think.

Morning

Thought it time to check in especially when people are talking about reintros. I won't be doing that of course but will be carrying on. 

I don't have the energy I had while on W30 (I was doing a huge amount of stuff in a day and not feeling knackered at the end but certainly ready for bed) but the tiredness I had for a couple weeks has abated, not falling asleep with each sit down! so small (but huge) changes are occurring even though it has taken time. I can feel my entire body shifting in ways I would never have expected--hope I look like a human when it is over and done with. Seriously though I am walking differently and using different muscle to walk so that is a shift. There is something happening internally even though externally I don't look hugely different. That all gives me the determination to carry on.

So is everyone doing a new re-entry blog? I know you are doing the W9, Nancy, and I was going to as well but haven't been back since the first few days so will see how that goes.

I don't mean to put anyone off but I had a lovely swim in the ocean just after breakfast today--gorgeous.  I am so grateful for calm seas and some sun.

When I lived in the far north in Canada and the winters were long and cold, a few of us decided to have a holiday in the sun. We got heat lamps, beach towels, made summering drinks, put 'beach' on and pretended we were at the beach. It was a lovely holiday in the living room. It can be done and be fun. Just remember everyday you are closer to warmer weather.

Gee, I'm fine with hanging out here as we do reintros and/or keep going on W30. I haven't spent much time on the Whole9 thread, but maybe as b]we branch out from nutrition...

Dang, I am one crabby old lady today. I'm not sure why, I don't think it's W30 related, I think it's winter related. I'm not really craving sugar or snacks in a major way, but neither do I want to eat a nice, compliant meal. In fact, I don't really want to eat at all. That's new... I'm gonna go embrace my inner grouch and curl up on the couch with my blankie. I'm sure I'll get hungry eventually, and it seems like a good day for some easy-peasy chicken apple sausage. 

Later...

I was all in for chicken sausage night myself...maybe a repeat for tonight too, this morning's drive in was murder.  I only got in by chanting to myself, "never again, never again, never, ever, again."

I always mean it too.  But this time I'm actively checking in to some remote access options.  We have a new PTO policy that kicked in this year which subbed out some of our days for paid holidays instead but then reduced the cap on what we can carry over.  Despite taking three weeks off during the year, I end up hitting the cap every couple of months...partly due to having been here so long and partly due to not taking days other than my three weeks.  Trying to stay under the new cap is going to be...uh...complicated.  I would like to just have an understanding going forward that if it is/has/thinks about snowing...I'm off. 

Lunch has been weird this week too, my pulled pork dish ended up as a soup thanks to my overly generous use of chicken broth and papaya juice in the preparation.  Mixed with the cumin, chili, and orange peel spice blend it made a deep rich broth with a nice fat boost from the 12 hours of slow cooking down.  If I had realized I would have tossed in some butternut or sweet potato to just push it all the way over into "soup".  I may intentionally do that again and add some more veggie at the end to make better use of the broth.  It's really fantastic, just seems weird to slurp pork.  Any thoughts on what else might go good there?  I don't want to dull the brightness by adding too many conflicting things.  I thought maybe carrot, but if I use butternut I have this weird thing where that feels like the middle point between carrot and potato already so adding either with butternut seems redundant.  It's already got two onions chopped into "petals" as part of the slow cooking, they probably added some of the moisture as well.  Doing mushroom and butternut makes it just the pork version of the stew I had in mind for next week.  What else is there on the mild side?  Kale might be too bitter, but I like dark greens with orangey tones.  Hmmm.  One of my favorites was swiss chard with pancetta and orange, this is sort of those same elements.  Maybe start by trying some kale chips on top and see how that goes before spoiling the soup so to speak. 

Just thinking out loud...what are you guys planning for next week?

• Administrators

I posted next week's meal plan here:  http://forum.whole30.com/topic/33502-jan-18-2016-start-date/page-3#entry365362

I love the sounds of that pork. What did you use for the "orange peel spice blend"  Sounds like the chili, cumin and the orange would make a good rub and then you could just slow cook a shoulder with no extra liquid (or just a bit of the papaya juice) and have some gorgeous pulled pork.

I love the sounds of that pork. What did you use for the "orange peel spice blend"  Sounds like the chili, cumin and the orange would make a good rub and then you could just slow cook a shoulder with no extra liquid (or just a bit of the papaya juice) and have some gorgeous pulled pork.

Yes, maybe a bit of a misplaced comma there, the spice blend was chili and cumin and dried orange peel.  It didn't come as a blend per se, those are just the three things I mixed up.  The orange peel I have was probably dried first and then ground as it's just a bit more granular than a spice, not actual pieces of peel, but for pulled pork fresh zest might be fun too.

Those may, or may not, have been the three closest things in the cabinet that sounded good at the time.  LOL!  I did use a shoulder, but it was in some kind of "American rib style"...I forget the exact wording but they looked more like thick steaks than one hunk and I wasn't initially sure how they would cook down.  Turns out little extra liquid would have been needed, but I chalk it up as a happy accident/new soup recipe.  What you describe is more what I had intended.

Crismann. When I make pulled pork in the crock pot, about half way through the cooking I pour off the liquid (save for other uses) and then let it finish cooking. This was in the Well Fed recipe. It comes out much like it had been roasted until it fell apart.

I have beef stew in my new Instant Pot. It just seems perfect for this cold weather.

Hiya, kids! I've been joking all day about "Winter Nancy" making an appearance. That's helped make me less crabby. But I gotta tell ya, I was THIS CLOSE to eating a chocolate truffle today. I had that sucker in my hand. But I argued myself out of it (Winter Nancy is a pushy bitch!) and continued on my W30. I decided to make some mayo with the last of my extra light olive oil and have it with hard boiled eggs in romaine lettuce leaves. As I poured the oil in, I realized it was pretty dark green for extra light. That's because it wasn't, it was extra virgin. But I soldiered on. I almost killed it by mixing it too long, but managed to stop just in time. It was a bit runnier than it should have been, but it was still ok. 

Crimsann, that pork does sound wonderful, no matter what the final form is! I hear ya on the commute--blech, especially when it snows. At least the days are starting to get longer now. Spring is right around the corner! And Spring Nancy is much easier to tolerate...

Ladyshanny, have you had the "shake & bake" before? Sounds like it might be a great option for comfort food.

Susan, do you like your Instant Pot? I sure don't need another small appliance in my tiny kitchen, but I'm intrigued.

Thanks. Cynthia. I am hoping that is the case and a major breakthrough will be occurring soon. I am sure my iron levels are fine, as is the rest of my blood work so no worries there. I am better today but have decided if I need to nap, I shall nap. Thank goodness I have the ability to do that. Working from home is the only way to go for flexibility but not so great on bringing in the cash at the moment.

I hope that you get better air quality--that is not good. What about a something that will help clear the air? I can't remember what they are called but produce ions that clean and purify???

Pretty good day today, managed to get half a swim in--company arrived so cut it short. Did have a short walk as well--the dog that lives at the end of the lane came to visit so I returned her and the owners didn't even know she had escaped!

I've got air purifiers in bedroom and living room, which seems to help quite a bit, but there is only so much I could do with walls and carpet.  And the living room furniture just needs to be pitched.  3 years worth of lone man and multiple cats did some serious damage in here.  Have used gallons of enzyme cleaner on every surface that doesn't move and have been quietly ridding the apartment of unsalvageable things.  But - I think it would require all air ducts being cleaned and new carpet at the least to finish killing off what is wrong in here. 

Lol, tonight we are all back on solid food so my dear husband decided to make "fried" chicken using my coconut flour.  He's been very good at finding ways to make food compliant but this was a new one for him.  He was not completely happy with the texture of the crust, but I thought it came out marvelous and I didn't have to cook it. :)

I'm hanging on through February since I restarted, my plan for next week is to start plating again (as opposed to bowls, lol).  I love my soups and stews but several days worth of them have made us all hungry for a little more texture.  I'll probably hit up the root veggies for a good roast again, which will go perfectly with the seared chicken and the venison we have in the freezer. 

I also had to lay off the nuts, I have a tendency to reach for them as a snack instead of a garnish or meal additive and have been spotted at the pantry discussing with myself whether I was really hungry or just feeling snackish and wanted something munchy.

Susan, do you like your Instant Pot? I sure don't need another small appliance in my tiny kitchen, but I'm intrigued.

I love my Instant Pot. It's a pressure cooker, slow cooker, rice cooker, steamer, sautees, and keeps warm so I took my rice cooker, steamer, and slow cooker to the thrift store. The slow cooker 16-hour pulled pork is done in 90 minutes and I think it tastes even better. You can also program it to start later so it's good for a working person. It also has a stainless steel insert pot that can go in the dishwasher. I only wish I had gotten it sooner. 

The next thing I wish someone would come up with is a heated dinner plate and soup bowl. I have a divided baby dish (guess it's an antique now since it was mine) that has a place to fill with boiling water to keep the food warm. I'm a slow eater and even though I warm my dishes in the winter, the food is cold before I finish. Invent that, Nancy, and you can retire! LOL

• Administrators

Ladyshanny, have you had the "shake & bake" before? Sounds like it might be a great option for comfort food.

Oh, you bet, we love it!  I meant to take a snap of the actual recipe that I use because it's so darned good. I'll make myself a note and post it tonight or tomorrow!

I've got air purifiers in bedroom and living room, which seems to help quite a bit, but there is only so much I could do with walls and carpet.  And the living room furniture just needs to be pitched.  3 years worth of lone man and multiple cats did some serious damage in here.  Have used gallons of enzyme cleaner on every surface that doesn't move and have been quietly ridding the apartment of unsalvageable things.  But - I think it would require all air ducts being cleaned and new carpet at the least to finish killing off what is wrong in here. 

Oh, my that does sound unhealthy. You might try diatomaceous earth on the carpet to help take up some of the carpet nasties. I also have sprayed penny royal on old furniture to kill greeblies--seemed to work.

Moving sounds like the best option!

Hi, everyone! I am giddy with delight with the forecast of lotta snow here. Another long weekend just in time to wade through all the papers I need for our taxes, and for my mother's final return (sob), for the return for her estate, and one other trust from my dad...so at least four different tax filings for me this year...wheeeeee!! I hope I get to stay happy about the snow, which I will, as long as we don't lose power.

Crimsann, I love the sound of your pork. I do make mine in the Instapot...and I LOVE my Instapot. I make ghee and bone broth in there regularly, as well as almost any kind of soup, roast, etc. so nice to be able to set it and go. I do most of my cooking in it overnight....or over several nights, in the case of bone broth or the pulled pork. I've never added liquid to the pulled pork...will do so this time for sure...and I have lots of oranges from Florida, so zest should be quite possible.

I have been thinking about reintro and want to start with alternative protein sources, since my cholesterol total and my LDL are both up and I am getting a little pressure from my doc to get back on a statin...which I do NOT want to do....plus, even though I source my meats locally and responsibly, I feel a little guilty eating this much meat knowing its environmental impact. plus...in advance of the storm, I made a quick stop at whole foods and just purchased a crapton of vegetables...first time ever leaving whole foods for under $100!!

So, am thinking I will start with legumes...any thoughts, crew?

Cheers everyone. I will build a w30 snow person for us all,

Maybe this isn't the best time to share this, but I think this post from Meadow Lily is the total truth....and maybe it can shape the way each of us approaches the rest of this month.....learning every BIT we can of all the ways we can break free and then have our own plan for eating healthily (?) post whole 30 (and reintro)...

There's no such thing as the Finish Line when it comes to your overall health and well being.  It does not exist. 

Whatever you do after your Whole 30, if it's not sustainable you can throw that out the window, too. You have to create your own plan you can live with for the rest of your life.   

If you do what you've always done you'll get what you've always gotten.

Hit or Miss.  Haphazard.  Slapdash.  Slipshod.  Lackadaisical.  Random.  Aimless.  Directionless. Bits and Pieces.  Fickle.  Irresolute. 

You need a plan.  Work your plan.  Tell your brain what you want and the body will follow.

Thanks for the shout out.   It has to come as second nature and so easily because we've done it many times before.   When you're operating in that way you won't have to think very much about it.

Swimming is second nature for me and flying is no problem for dcducks.  Genteel reserve might be your second nature or a refined bedside manner.  

Truth.  If you can't hang with it now it won't work next year.  I'm four months shy of two years.  If it's radical or too complicated there will be a compromise.  It's human nature to have a breaking point when food freedom is taken away.  

When it's second nature you've moved into transformation.  Body. Mind. Spirit. 

So, am thinking I will start with legumes...any thoughts, crew?

That's kind of what I was thinking. I miss beans in my soup!

I'm really struggling with wanting to eat crap I shouldn't have. I didn't go to the grocery store today because I knew I'd buy something stupid. I ended up at Batteries Plus to get a new battery for my watch, and then stopped at Stein's Garden Center  to pick up a few fake flowers for a small vase I have at work. I forgot that they have a whole bunch of junk food at the front of the store, but I managed to stay strong. Why is it so hard right now?? I thought I'd be having a much easier time of it by day 21!

Hi - Merg, I am with you on the snow.  Don't necessarily want 24 inches plus but. . .  I'm lucky that employer arranged it so that we are closed tomorrow so don't even have to think about work, driving, etc.  Almost like a vacation!  As long as keep power - fingers crossed.  We are trying at work to have a pot-luck lunch together once a month and we are doing it Monday.  It happens that 2 of us are gluten free and another one is also doing W30.  I plan on cooking up a chicken then making bone broth then making chicken soup  to take- kind of a process but so good.  I am sure it would be faster with an instapot - will have to look into that.

Nancy - I am feeling it with you too!  I find myself thinking about the foods I used to snack on, especially after dinner.  Even after I admit to myself that I am not hungry and not really even craving the food but just sort of missing them - not sure if that makes sense or not.  I don't really want the food but I feel like I should want it or am missing out on something even though I know I'm not.  Are you making sure that you are eating enough - especially fat.  I am finding that fat, or lack of it, can make a huge difference in how I do.  I took my lunch to work today and put it in a brown paper bag so no one could see it in the fridge because you could tell there was a lot of fat in it - how bad is that :lol: Perhaps you could reach out to the moderators to look at your meals to see if they can pinpoint maybe something you are missing that could help.  

Off to do some research on an instapot.  Everyone in the way of the storm be safe, enjoy the beauty and eat well!

Why is it so hard right now?? I thought I'd be having a much easier time of it by day 21!

I don't really know, I have some theories...what I know for sure though was that my second was harder than the first in a number of ways.  I think partly it comes down to you just have less to prove to yourself and in turn that makes you somewhat less accountable to yourself.  You aren't as hyper alert to possible slips because you already know you can do it and are more relaxed.  Unfortunately that also means more vulnerable to a Snugar attack.  Maybe it's partly knowing that you did this once, you went off, and you came back.  It could actually be a bit of underlying confidence that if you indulged, it wouldn't mean The End like it maybe meant for so many other attempts at other programs.  That's a positive spin on it maybe.  For whatever reason, this third time has been the easiest as far as just sort of doing it without really having to think about it.  Other than the issues with M1 which I do feel are largely seasonal, the rest has sort of just floated by.  Not having started on the first, I would even have to stop and do the math to tell you which day I'm on.  That alone is a first, I've been very conscious of how many days on/how many days until off each time before.  Maybe they should do a timeline on how you experience a second or third W30 differently.  I bet we would find the same kind of common experiences we all see in the original day-by-day timeline. 

But I'm feeling positive because despite some local sources predicting snow here, the dreaded snowflake icon has not appeared and has actually disappeared from any other day on the extended (and unlikely to pan out) forecast.  Ya'll can have your hot mess and call it pretty...but the first one who wafts a flake my way...  All joking aside I will be thinking about some of you if you "go dark".  We had that for nearly a week once a few years ago and living where I do it was doable (we have huge fireplaces in several rooms, all wood burning) but it got smoky after heating that way for days on end and I can't imagine how I would have done trying to roast a piece of beef over open flame to stay compliant.  ROFL!  I might be able to scrape by on salad and HB eggs for a day or two but I've never stocked up so fully I could go a week with no way to cook something.  Knowing me, I would have attempted to rig up something just to say I'd stayed the course in spite of insurmountable odds but...it would have been a story.

Good morning! I LOVE a good snow day, especially when it's a work day and I get a "bonus" day off! It helps that I don't have to shovel because I live in an apartment, and the staff here is amazing when it comes to taking care of things. 

bapitsel and Crimsann, thanks for the input. I think there is a lot of sense to what both of you have said. I've found that whatever I've done in the name of health and/or losing weight (and I've done it all...), it works like a charm the first time, and then is harder each time that I try it after that. I know I'm using enough fat. That's what got me through the first time. And eating nuts...too many nuts... So it's less a physical thing than a mental thing. And that's harder to deal with! Maybe instead of just eating enough fat, I also have to think fat thoughts! So picture me with an avocado in a thought bubble over my head the next couple of weeks.  :blink:

Along with wanting to eat everything, I realized while getting out of bed this morning that I am really achy and always tired. I think by this time in September, I was bouncing around like Tigger. I want that back... So I'm going to stick it out. I'm headed to my daughter's house this morning to visit with her and then dog-sit for my "granddogs" while they are gone overnight for my son-in-laws Christmas party. The biggest problem there is the chip cupboard! But I can do this. My daughter stocked up on chicken breast, veggies, and sweet potatoes, and I'll bring coconut milk and clarified butter. And enjoy the unconditional love of those three goofball dogs. I love my cat, he's very sweet and funny, and kind of a weirdo (he steals produce from my kitchen because he likes to poke holes in the skin with his teeth!), but there's something about a dog...

Day 22, here we go!

http://forum.whole30.com/topic/33652-gaining-weight-on-day-22/#entry365903

There is beautiful wisdom on this current thread.  It's so accurate that it makes my heart soar and sing.  It's what a Whole 30 is really all about. 

Food freedom is a wondrous thing.  When this month is finished may you find that pathway.  It takes longer than 30 days.

• Administrators

That's kind of what I was thinking. I miss beans in my soup!

I'm really struggling with wanting to eat crap I shouldn't have. I didn't go to the grocery store today because I knew I'd buy something stupid. I ended up at Batteries Plus to get a new battery for my watch, and then stopped at Stein's Garden Center  to pick up a few fake flowers for a small vase I have at work. I forgot that they have a whole bunch of junk food at the front of the store, but I managed to stay strong. Why is it so hard right now?? I thought I'd be having a much easier time of it by day 21!

Hey Nancy, any chance you are at "that" point in your cycle? Many people report increased hunger, increased cravings in the week leading up to and of their period.  If you are undereating for this particular time of the month, cravings are going to feel pretty severe.  

How's your starchy veggie intake?

• Administrators

OK, I took a picture but the photobucket isn't letting me upload so I'll type it out for you.  :)

1 tbsp paprika

1/4 tsp salt

1 tsp garlic powder

1 tsp onion powder

1/2 tsp pepper

1/2 tsp oregano

1/4 tsp basil

1/4 tsp parsley

1/8 tsp cayenne (up to a quarter tsp if you like it spicier)

1/2 cup each raw pecans and raw walnuts

a dozen or so boneless skinless chicken thighs

Put all ingredients into food processor, magic bullet or blender and whirl until it's a breadcrumb consistency and then pour it out onto a dinner plate.  Rinse and dry your chicken thighs.  Very, very dry! Wipe both sides of each thigh with a bit of homemade mayo and then dredge in the plate of seasoning (there is no actual "shaking" in this version of "shake n bake"). Bake in the oven at 435 for about 20-30ish minutes.  

If you do this with chicken breasts, pound them flat to about an inch or so.  For 2 flattened breasts, use 3/4 cups of nuts but same amount of spices. 

Let me know if you try it!  :)

Hey Nancy, any chance you are at "that" point in your cycle? Many people report increased hunger, increased cravings in the week leading up to and of their period.  If you are undereating for this particular time of the month, cravings are going to feel pretty severe.  

How's your starchy veggie intake?

No chance, I'm almost 59 and way past that point! LOL I've been eating sweet potatoes regularly. Near as I can figure, it's just due to winter. This'll be better as spring rolls around. I think that's the most logical thing, based on what my winters are like each year. 

Archived